Awoo.

What would you want to see differently in a season 2 of Sonic Boom?

SpongicX

Feel free to post your ideas and opinion on what more you think should be shown in Sonic Boom, if season 2 happens. Here's a list of my personal wants.

• More new character models - Sonic Boom started recycling 3d models not long after the show first aired. It just seems strange for a show to keep reusing the same robot, or character model over and over. In Unlucky Knuckles for instance, it was strange for Eggman to act like his robot was a new and unnamed robot, despite the fact he used it in Translate This. Or in Eggman the Auteur, when Obliterator Bot was suddenly called Drill Bot instead. 
  • More locations - Although I liked the island setting of Sonic Boom, it would be nicer to see the characters travel to more than just through the town, beach, or Eggman's lair constantly. It would be more refreshing to see them travel the world occasionally. It was always kind of a bummer to see all the show's events take place in town, like Puppy Con, from the episode Fuzzy Puppy Buddies. A lot of fans were probably expecting the gang to travel out of town for that, instead, it took place at a clone building of the mayor's mansion in the village center. 
  • Introduce more characters from the video games.  - I think it would be fun to bring a few more characters into the series, most preferably Silver, Blaze, Rouge, and the Chaotix.
  • Make the characters less mean spirited, and more consistent - Sonic Boom had a lot of inconsistency with how Sonic and friends interacted with each other. One minute Sonic and Amy seem to be hiding romantic feelings, the next minute, Sonic is being a real inconsiderate jerk towards her. One minute Sonic and Knuckles are great pals, then they're insulting each other. I don't like seeing these characters act mean towards each other. Tails seems to get picked on a lot in the series. Amy gets the most out of this I would say. One minute she is the nicest character in the show, then she's suddenly rude, sarcastic, and bossy, or the characters start neglecting her. I really don't like seeing Amy treated badly, or acting badly. I liked her portrayal in episodes like Can an Evil Genius Crash On Your Couch For A Few Weeks, Translate This, and My Fair Sticksy. I do not like to see Amy portrayed the way she was in Chez Amy, Sole Power, Bro Down Showdown, and Fire In A Crowded Workshop. Also, Knuckles and Sonic turn quite stupid and act like jerks whenever they're just hanging out, as seen in Into The Wilderness, Bro Down Showdown, and the ending to It Wasn't Me, It Was The One Armed Hedgie. Also, the villagers need to be less idiotic, and more respectful towards to all Sonic and friends put up with.
  • Less Eggman and Tails - Eggman and Tails are great characters, no doubt about it, but I always found it kind of a bummer how they've been a bigger focus than Sonic himself. It's also a shame to see so many episodes not focus on the other characters. I would have liked to have seen a better balance. It always made me a little sad to tune into a new episode, only to find out Amy, Knuckles, or Sticks don't make a small appearance at least.
  • More Sticks - Sticks is without a doubt the most neglected character in the show, she is the only main character to not be included in a large number of episodes. She is a funny and wacky character, and she doesn't deserve to be left out. 
  • Sonic and Amy - It was nice to see hints and teasers of Sonic and Amy's feelings for each other, but it's a shame the show didn't explore that well enough. There weren't any episodes dedicated to just those 2, and out of the 52 episode run, there were only about 15 episodes that included minor moments of that, but only about 2 of them were directly between Sonic and Amy, instead of being a mention. They don't have to start declaring themselves as a couple, or start making out. It would be nice to see at least one episode where they actually kiss, maybe a season 2 finale? The least they can do is show more scenes between the two, instead of constantly having the show make jokes about their secret feelings. We get it, they're in love with each other, but try taking that a step further. 
  • make full length episodes - Sonic Boom has a lot of episodes that would have worked a lot better, if the show was given the option to make 22 minute long episodes, instead of just 11. I'm not saying all episodes must be full length, but it would be nice for the writers to have more freedom in not making an episode feel rushed. 

• Thumbs Up 2

In summary, Sega needs to put more budget into Boom, but that in of itself is an unlikely prospect considering the negativity surrounding Boom as a sub-brand.

• Thumbs Up 6

In summary, Sega needs to put more budget into Boom, but that in of itself is an unlikely prospect considering the negativity surrounding Boom as a sub-brand.

Good suggestion, Sega also needs to tell Cartoon Network to give the show more awareness, advertise the show, quit slacking off on airing the remaining episodes, and give the show more spread out showings during the week. 

1.Dont put it on Boomerang. If you are from USA, you wont underastand what i mean. In europe, the show is/will be on boomerang. That would make the rating lower ah here boomerang is a really hard channel to get.

2. Dont release a episode weeks.years later on another countries. I dont think i need to explain. Its not interesting to watch an episode and say ,,oh, its metal, yea, a saw the photo on facebook"

3. I know its suppose to be a comedy, but make the fights more interesting. Comedy carttons know how to make a fight cool, but funny. Boom, not really. I dont they they arent good, but at least bring something else than the same generic fight: Amy, Knuckles, Sticks ,Amy destory one badnik, sonic does some homing attacks.

3. Make Dave like a seccondary character. I find Dave interesting, but not show him so much...

4. This one is for the English VA: Dont really change the VAs ill list, but make them sound more normal. Amy VA: dont make her sound like Minnie Mouse, Sticks VA: look at french sticks, she has a normal voice, but is still funny.

5. Please, make shadow a main character, part of team sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Again with the anti characters being brats nonsense? it's fine to feel anyway you want to about the show. but you need to face facts, a lot of the Sonic cast are brats...there's nothing wrong with that.  and it works better for comedy sake imo.  this isn't bloody sesame street where everyone holds hands and starts singing about friendship. my goodness... I would agree however it all needs to be better written as I do feel the characters go little off character somewhat often.

And I don't think Sonic is actually in love with Amy. Anyways I kinda hope Amy and Sonic's relationship never goes anywhere. which it probably won't regardless what i think. because it's a rule by SEGA for none of the important characters to start a true relationship. and personally i may vomit if i see them 2 truly romantically kiss in official sonic media.

Now for what I would like to see, i want to see more wacky and energetic spirit put into the show. enough with Sonic sitting around being bored half the time. I think it would be cool if they had him be more of a prankster... .and seriously give Sonic better smack talk, how many times must he repeat the insult 'Egghead?' ... I would like to see the show embrace true adventure spirit and be less a sitcom where everyone just hangs out and has nothing much to do. Also more game characters for season 2 would be nice, gives us something more to look forward to.

Also it won't happen... but I would love a different english voice for Sticks. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Hm, let's see. I do want the universe to expand in some way. I love would to see more its lore. I kinda feel like the cartoon didn't do any with ancients stuff the games were babbling about. Like very little. I think only a couple of episodes did something with it. 

Also, more shadow and metal. Lol 

• Thumbs Up 4

Put my vote towards everything Hogfather said, along with more locations and loosening the tie on Roger's balls a little further. Seriously, other stuff has proven to me that he isn't bad at screaming, but the breakdown that Sonic had in "just a guy" was painful in terms of pitch and voice cracking.

The only improvement I can think of off the top my head would be to put better talent towards the show's musical score. Whether it's a fight scene or just a simple transition, the background music for Boom is either nonexistent or just plain uninspired.

Honestly I'm surprised I'm actually making this kind of complaint at all considering the franchise this show is attached to and its reputation with music.

• Thumbs Up 5

Contrast, contrast, the show needs more contrast.
The show LOVES humor where characters are contrasted against an opposite force, but the jokes always fall flat to me because the show isn't interested in portraying positive energy.

Like, the recent episode did that "All characters tell the story from their own perspective and get the details wrong" joke, where Sonic recalls a memory and in his version, Knuckles is supposed to be more stupid then usual because it's Sonic interpretation....
Except Super Stupid Knuckles is on the same level as regular Knuckles so the joke doesn't work for me.

Regular Knuckles' stupidy has no boundries or connected to a personality trait or brain deficit.
Right from the get go, it's an All-composing Super Stupidity.
As a result, the show has absolutely no room to go with this character in the cases where Knuckles needs to be more out of the ordinairy stupid for plot reasons.  Ergo when he needs to be SUPER stupid in Sonic's fantasy, he's just regular Knuckles. Whatever.
I mean, Knuckles is supposed to be strong/ outdoor mountain man kinda guy right? Why don't we barely ever get jokes about THOSE character traits? Let Knuckles be efficient or cool every now and then.

And this is pretty much my main issue with most jokes.
You have an episode where the whole joke is that Dave is a pathetic villain compared to Eggman, except... Eggman himself is pretty useless that episode and doesn't do anything. So why am I supposed to find Dave a failing villain when there's not a single villain in Sonic boom who does even remotely seem functioning to begin with?
So less "Haha, look at how sad Dave is" and more "Oh, another idiot villain."

Comedy needs discipline, I understand that turning everyone into losers is the easiest way to get the big laughs, but in doing so you're also breaking down the world context and structure that those jokes need to function.
Turn everyone into a loser and after a while losers aren't funny anymore, they're just texture of how this universe operates.
Losers are funny because winners exist. Speech impediments are funny because correct speech exists.
If everyone speaks with a lisp, it's no longer a wacky quirk, it's just the way people speak.
Contrast.

So yeah, that's my wish for a season 2: Instead of only focusing on jokes about what the characters aren't, also make jokes about what they are, find humor in celebrating their skills and abilities. Even if those jokes are less funny, they will make up for it by making your beloved "haha, look at the idiot" jokes stronger too.

I don't know Roger, Knux in that episode was full of himself, he didn't say or acted anything stupid except in Sonic's and Amy's version of the incident. I mean, Boom does have a loose continuity and Knux, as you said yourself in your latest Boom Dissected, can be interpreted as the class clown persona action hero, acting like an idiot but I guess for that to work, we need to see Knuckles not goofing around. We did have a joke about Knuckles' other traits/interests, in Late Fees, Sonic interrupted Knux setting up a bird house or in Into the Wilderness, Sonic said to Knuckles that "he loved nature" and Knuckles responds that doesn't mean he knows how to survive in the wild. But I guess, more of it would help.

What do you mean Eggman was useless, he half-heartedly told Sonic how to shutdown Octupus Bot, pretty sure that's an important detail. I mean sure, they could've just destroyed it but since the team's concern is that Dave could hurt himself controlling the thing, they just want to stop it as fast as they can. Which is what Eggman has over Dave and the rest of the Lightning Bolts, the Bolts' sense of evil is a lot more childish and juvenile and quite obviously doesn't a lot of actual experience being villains, Eggman while also a screw-up atleast has the experience to create several robots like Metal Sonic, Burn Bot and many others and he does have a goal but sometimes he just likes to do bad things.

But I guess a proper contrast would be beneficial along with a better budget since animations were kind of stiff sometimes and longer show length since it's quite obvious that the 11 minute limit isn't good for some episodes, like some episodes not having a proper ending was a common complaint. 

Outside of that, I don't really think there's anything else for the show to improve, I guess better music and intro would be nice but doesn't seem to be the "make or break" deal for most people.

It's a good show that has made me laugh consistently but it can be MUCH better, so yeah. Season 2, BRING IT ON!

• Thumbs Up 1

Concerning the character consistency complaint, I'm mixed about that one. While I like them to maintain some positive and negative aspects. One of the things I like about the show is that it tries all kinds of different takes on the cast. We get to see Tails as on overzealous bumbler, or Sonic actually be a frustrated loser for a change. While I'd like it to downplayed enough they maintain the same personality, I don't want all these hidden depths to disappear, if anything some of the characters could do with it happening more (eg. Knuckles could use more development outside his stupidity by far).

It reminds me of Satam. Season One tried all different takes into how to treat the cast, which had some intriguing if occasionally erratic results. Season Two had more consistent characterisations, albeit to the point of being completely formulaic and one note, and in cases such as Antoine, irritatingly cliche and unlikable. I'd rather have a more versatile if mildly inconsistent character than one who does the same crap over and over. If it's inconsistent to the point of maintaining no traits, fair enough, but Boom I don't feel goes nearly that far. I will say it could do without making the character over the top stupid or gullible for easy plot setup however.

Concerning characters, I'd also like to see more times the supporting cast gets to do something or get a positive role, not just be apathetic civilians constantly. It's hard to really root for Sonic and co saving a bunch of characters that don't have much of redeeming functions.

One thing I was disappointed by was how low scale Eggman's plots are. He usually just tries to spar with the heroes and most of the time it devolves into a friendly interaction. While I like these episodes, I would like some more he takes the role of a proper villain and tries to take over the town/world and such. Even AoSth Robotnik, who was similarly comedic, did some pretty effective attempts at this.

I also agree on decreasing the episode number for longer half hour ones. It does feel like the writing style would profit from a longer run time.

Edited by E-122-Psi

Re-Create the whole TV-series, and MAYBE I'll give it a second try. -_-

It certainly is sad to say that a whole TV-series of the Sonic Franchise is uncool to watch, especially since I'm a big fan of all the older TV-series, like "Sonic X", "Sonic Underground" and of course the original "Sonic the Hedgehog".

I just don't get it why Sega gives their own artwork into another company's hands, just so they can screw it up and make something that was suppose to be a TV-series of the Sonic Franchise as "Sonic Boom". :(

What I'm trying to say is that they really should reconsider, before releasing another season of this...

Hm, little note. Considering I am only critical above toward Boom, I do say I like the show a bit, just wanted to clarify that. Loved the "no my birds!" joke last time.
But yeah, since this topic is about IMPROVING Sonic Boom and what we want a second season to change, I'm mostly critical here.

I don't know Roger, Knux in that episode was full of himself, he didn't say or acted anything stupid except in Sonic's and Amy's version of the incident.

Hmm, that IS true. I suppose if it's your first episode watching it does work a little.
Still, with the damage done on Knuckles by the other episodes, this episode lost some of it's power.

Anyway, yeah, I get what they're doing with Knuckles and how that's interesting and endearing.
He's one of the beter main characters, if only because he's the most energetic one.
Just saying he could have way more comedic possibilities if the jokes at his expense had more variation. The guy has so much potential. A tough mountain man with a Class clown mentality because he doesn't get respect would have been fascinating.

We did have a joke about Knuckles' other traits/interests, in Late Fees, Sonic interrupted Knux setting up a bird house or in Into the Wilderness, Sonic said to Knuckles that "he loved nature" and Knuckles responds that doesn't mean he knows how to survive in the wild. But I guess, more of it would help.

I had no idea the birdhouse was a reference to his wild nature until Bill Freiberger had to point it out.
Considering nothing was set up to allude to that side of his, I figured the birdhouse joke was just "random because Knuckles is weird because he's dumb"
And Knuckles saying he doesn't know how to survive in the wild actually DAMAGES and disconnects the "he's one with nature" personality in favor of his stupidity. So go figure, the rare joke about this hidden side of him is immediatly taken out in favor of the overused dumb joke. My point exactly.

What do you mean Eggman was useless, he half-heartedly told Sonic how to shutdown Octupus Bot, pretty sure that's an important detail.

I was more talking about him being useless as a foil to Dave.
The point of Dave in that episode is "haha, he's trying to be like Eggman but he's failing."
So the more glorious and EGGMANIOUS Eggman is, the better the joke.
Since all he does as a villain that episode is have a chat with Dave, getting captured and immediatly requiring Sonic to save him again, he doesn't do much to demonstrate himself as Dave's superior.
And since in the other episodes he's really downplayed and mellow too, the whole episode just lacked the punch it could have had.

But man, yesterday I saw the Shadow episode in French and THAT episode did do contrast pretty well.
That was the best episode of the show, and not just because "yay Shadow" but because they actually did give him a diffrent energy then most other characters have.
See that episode to get a demonstration of the potential I'm missing in Boom within Sonic Boom itself.
But of course the Americans will have to wait for that.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hm, little note. Considering I am only critical above toward Boom, I do say I like the show a bit, just wanted to clarify that. Loved the "no my birds!" joke last time.
But yeah, since this topic is about IMPROVING Sonic Boom and what we want a second season to change, I'm mostly critical here.

Hmm, that IS true. I suppose if it's your first episode watching it does work a little.Still, with the damage done on Knuckles by the other episodes, this episode lost some of it's power.

Anyway, yeah, I get what they're doing with Knuckles and how that's interesting and endearing.
He's one of the beter main characters, if only because he's the most energetic one.
Just saying he could have way more comedic possibilities if the jokes at his expense had more variation. The guy has so much potential. A tough mountain man with a Class clown mentality because he doesn't get respect would have been fascinating.

I had no idea the birdhouse was a reference to his wild nature until Bill Freiberger had to point it out.
Considering nothing was set up to allude to that side of his, I figured the birdhouse joke was just "random because Knuckles is weird because he's dumb"
And Knuckles saying he doesn't know how to survive in the wild actually DAMAGES and disconnects the "he's one with nature" personality in favor of his stupidity. So go figure, the rare joke about this hidden side of him is immediatly taken out in favor of the overused dumb joke. My point exactly.

I was more talking about him being useless as a foil to Dave.The point of Dave in that episode is "haha, he's trying to be like Eggman but he's failing."
So the more glorious and EGGMANIOUS Eggman is, the better the joke.
Since all he does as a villain that episode is have a chat with Dave, getting captured and immediatly requiring Sonic to save him again, he doesn't do much to demonstrate himself as Dave's superior.
And since in the other episodes he's really downplayed and mellow too, the whole episode just lacked the punch it could have had.

But man, yesterday I saw the Shadow episode in French and THAT episode did do contrast pretty well.
That was the best episode of the show, and not just because "yay Shadow" but because they actually did give him a diffrent energy then most other characters have.
See that episode to get a demonstration of the potential I'm missing in Boom within Sonic Boom itself.
But of course the Americans will have to wait for that.

I'm not against criticism for the show, I definitely can agree that it can be much better so I have no complaints there.

Now that you mention it, I get it. While some of the jokes that are made in expense of the characters do give me a laugh, it shouldn't be the only source to go to for humor. Though maybe I didn't but that's probably because I'm still pretty inexperienced about how to make a proper comedy or just a story in general, so I guess I can learn along the way.

I think the problem with Knuckles is that even ignoring his stupidity, he doesn't have many redeeming traits, he's the most arrogant, the most disloyal, the most bad tempered, the most stubborn and unwilling to learn, even times he is useful as dumb muscle are rare since he's often just in the background smashing generic grunts at best. He's just more or less become the straw loser of the team everyone else can look better by. Sure Sonic is egotistical, but he has good points others fail in, same for Tails despite his obsessive tinkering and even Stick's despite her craziness (if it's also a tad subdued).

Stupid isn't the ultimate loser flaw, you can be dumb and have plenty of other positive traits, and I think Knuckles could really use that. Hell even his dumbness doesn't have to be one dimensional. You can be an idiot in one area of intelligence and clever in another. I love those kind of simple characters that, compared to intelligent ones that have needlessly complex outlooks to everything, just suggest the easiest and most obvious approach.

I also say this because 'Knuckles says/does something stupid' very often loses steam quick in certain episodes. 

Edited by E-122-Psi
  • Thumbs Up 2

Make Sonic's friends less boring. I notice that most of them seem to "try" to be like Sonic and thats where the jokes arent funny. I feel bad for Knuckles though. All i hear in Sonic Boom is that he is "stupid". Can the others say anything good about him. Sonic?

I honestly haven't watched any episodes past the first twenty-four because the show was just kinda...unremarkable and underwhelming to me. Not so much bad as just...whatever-ish.

For the second season to interest me, it would probably have to have some sense of actual "adventure" that seems to be lacking. It's hard to find the Sonic Boom cast engaging when their main "occupation" is fighting a laughable and incompetent villain, and other than that have rather un-compelling lives. It's just like, why should I care?

It's fine for it to be comedy-focused and a bit slice-of-life-y, but as it is I just can't bring myself to be interested in the characters' lives because there's nothing interesting about them. They just do random stuff. There's no verve, no excitement.

Make me feel like these characters have some greater purpose to their existence, and I'd probably give the show another try. An option would be to "play up" how they're actually kind of useless for laughs, then maybe show how if it wasn't for them Eggman might actually be a threat, or something like that. That would work well, I think.

• Thumbs Up 3

I honestly haven't watched any episodes past the first twenty-four because the show was just kinda...unremarkable and underwhelming to me. Not so much bad as just...whatever-ish.

For the second season to interest me, it would probably have to have some sense of actual "adventure" that seems to be lacking. It's hard to find the Sonic Boom cast engaging when their main "occupation" is fighting a laughable and incompetent villain, and other than that have rather un-compelling lives. It's just like, why should I care?

It's fine for it to be comedy-focused and a bit slice-of-life-y, but as it is I just can't bring myself to be interested in the characters' lives because there's nothing interesting about them. They just do random stuff. There's no verve, no excitement.

Make me feel like these characters have some greater purpose to their existence, and I'd probably give the show another try. An option would be to "play up" how they're actually kind of useless for laughs, then maybe show how if it wasn't for them Eggman might actually be a threat, or something like that. That would work well, I think.

The last 26 episodes were a bit too "sitcomy" for the typical Sonic fan, especially since after The Meteor they wasn't an actual great episode since then, but after Chez Amy onwards, there was a lot of really good episodes! Like Chilidog Day Afternoon, Mayor Knuckles, Eggman the Auteur, Battle of the Boy Bands, Tails Crush and etc. When the writers said the second half of the season was better than the first, they weren't kidding in my eyes. But of course, you have to see it to believe it really.

Also another thing I really do find very intriguing about Boom is that it's very different from what the general idea of Sonic is about, like it's kind of like AoStH except not as wacky and mindless. It's very casual and laid-back but I guess one could interpret as boring and uninteresting so again, it's all up to how you look at it. 

I guess since I looks at the show differently from how I usually look at Sonic, i enjoy it a lot more but yeah an actual adventure would be really cool to see.

• Thumbs Up 1

More Eggman focus episodes! Oh wait. Different from season one, you say? Hmm...

Honestly, I wouldn't change much. Maybe more episodes that focus on pairs of characters that we don't see interact all that often; An episode focusing on Tails's and Sticks's friendship, or a conflict between Knuckles and Eggman, or other character relationships that the show hasn't explored much. Character interaction is the strongest aspect of this show, after all.

• Thumbs Up 1

More adventure and something of an overarching plot. The sitcom style is fine, but have something bigger going on in the background. More character development, too.

Well, gee. How about we put more time into the animation? I mean, episode 1 and 2 are the best looking episodes of the entire goddamn show, while all the other ones are... underwhelming in detail. Could we get rid of this "have the story reset every episode" notion? Give the show an actual story, make it more action-packed! Put more time into the soundtrack. I keep listening to the intro's music, and all I hear is static. Could we also get rid of this whole "Eggman trying to be Sonic's friend" thing? It's at that point that no one can take the show seriously. How about re-introducing Lyric? I know the writers can make something dark and tense, I mean look at episode 1!

What do you think?

• Thumbs Up 2

On a more reasonable level, use the full opening titles used for the French version.

Edited by E-122-Psi
  • Thumbs Up 4