Awoo.

disappearing rings in Sonic 2

Rey Skywalker-Ren

does anyone know if this is a glitch or if its really part of the game? when i do special stage all of my rings disappear after.

i am SO glad they dont do this anymore. 

Well you never lost your rings when you're playing as Knuckles so maybe it is a technical issue but since it's pretty easy to get 50 rings back, it wasn't a problem for me. I seriously played 2 way too many times.....

They did it on purpose, since it's not changed in any later version of the game and only Knuckles gets to keep his.

It's apart of the challenge.

I did the special stage and when i come out i had no rings and i was in the end of hill top zone in that game. 

Yeah, that's part of the game's design.  Makes it so that you can't easily go from one checkpoint to the next without complication.  Otherwise, we'd all have the Chaos Emeralds in one sitting.  At least, I think that's why it was made that way anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic 3 & Knuckls is different, because it doesn't requite a requisite number of rings to access the special stages.  You just had to find them all, so there was no harm in just maintaining your current ring count.

Edited by Tara
  • Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, that's part of the game's design.  Makes it so that you can't easily go from one checkpoint to the next without complication.  Otherwise, we'd all have the Chaos Emeralds in one sitting.  At least, I think that's why it was made that way anyway.

As annoying as this "feature" is to me, I guess that explanation does make an awful lot of sense.

As annoying as this "feature" is to me, I guess that explanation does make an awful lot of sense.

I don't like it much, either.  Making enemy placement and level design more difficult and less linear would have been a better way to add to the difficulty of getting to the next goal ring with fifty rings in tact than just taking them away from you.  Though form a narrative standpoint, it does make sense, since I guess you're supposed to look at it as "expending" fifty rings for a shot at the bonus stage.  What gets me is that it doesn't take just fifty rings.  It takes all your rings.  Sonic 3D Blast is the same way, and it miffs me every time I accidentally run into Tails or Knuckles after accumulating a lot of rings.  They're worse than the enemies. XD

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm for having challenge in a game but this is overkill 

It's actually not that big a deal, while the opportunity to get multiple emeralds is always there, this is still an optional challenge.

There are plenty rings in between check points.

The issue is not really that they take your rings away, but rather far too many zones - such as Hill Top Zone, do not provide rings before the boss.

Though Hill Top Zone is actually an exception to this rule - if you start from the checkpoint before the boss, simply head backwards for a bit to collect some rings before moving forward.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the idea is that "in-universe" it literally takes 50 rings in order to power up those checkpoints and create the rift to jump between dimensions. I think one of the early comics used that logic at one point. The game doesn't immediately take them from you in case you speed by a post with 50+ rings since you'd lose them even if you had no intention of stopping for the special stage.

I ALWAYS get every emerald in one sitting and always in Emerald Hill, annoying feature to some, but I always felt like there more than enough rings to get the job done on the first stage.

Don't forget to mention that all of the rings in the stage respawn when you return from the bonus stage. It's hardly that awful.

• Thumbs Up 2

I ALWAYS get every emerald in one sitting and always in Emerald Hill, annoying feature to some, but I always felt like there more than enough rings to get the job done on the first stage.

There are, but forcing you to collect them means that it's not a straightforward task, which is what I saying the feature was trying to prevent.

Sonic 3D Blast is the same way, and it miffs me every time I accidentally run into Tails or Knuckles after accumulating a lot of rings.  They're worse than the enemies. XD

Some friends u r Tails n Knuckles!!!!  >:C

• Thumbs Up 1

Some friends u r Tails n Notcools!!!!  >:C

Fixed it for ya! You're welcome.

Edited by Puli Soni
  • Thumbs Up 3

Don't forget to mention that all of the rings in the stage respawn when you return from the bonus stage. It's hardly that awful.

I played it and I saw so thats good. 

Hill Top Zone can burn in hell though