Awoo.

DOOM (2016) - PS4/XBOX ONE/PC "Uh oh! My graphics card is radioactive! That can't be good!"

Badnik Mechanic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFSyxguqnbo

So the announcement/teaser trailer for the next Doom game just went live, full reveal of the game will come next month at Quakecon 2014 (July 17th to the 20th.)

Not much to say other than gettting a very Doom 2 vibe from the description. Sorta interested but yeah, we'll see.

• Thumbs Up 1

OH MY GO - *ahem* alright, gotta come down offa that high.

I'm thrilled they're finally revealing it.  I've been waiting for this for years.  Doom is one of my favorite shooters, if not one of my favorite games in general, and Doom 3 was a pretty bland final entry in the series.  Though brief, this teaser seems to imply that it wants to do justice to the originals.  Putting Cyberdemon in the spotlight and using the classic door sound effect definitely set the mood for a kickass Doom experience.  Here's hoping they deliver.

Now if you excuse me, I'ma go continue screaming.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Pretty sure you could have made a better opening post? 

But anyways, I'm genuinely looking forward to this! After both Wolfenstein: The New Order and The Old Blood and seeing the E3 trailer, it looks and feels like ID's IP's are back at top form. I'm so glad they stopped working on DOOM 4 as it was and decided to reboot it. Now it looks like a proper DOOM title worth of this generation.

All in all, pretty much everything from Bethesda's E3 announcements are the titles I look most forward to on the Xbone: Dishonored 2, Fallout 4, DOOM :D

Now, if only we can get a new Quake game and the trinity will be complete! 

Pretty sure you could have made a better opening post? 

But anyways, I'm genuinely looking forward to this! After both Wolfenstein: The New Order and The Old Blood and seeing the E3 trailer, it looks and feels like ID's IP's are back at top form. I'm so glad they stopped working on DOOM 4 as it was and decided to reboot it. Now it looks like a proper DOOM title worth of this generation.

All in all, pretty much everything from Bethesda's E3 announcements are the titles I look most forward to on the Xbone: Dishonored 2, Fallout 4, DOOM :D

Now, if only we can get a new Quake game and the trinity will be complete! 

Sorry, i've just barely survived my mid-tests and i can't think well.

Anyways, it's pretty hilarious seeing people at Rock Paper Shotgun/PC Gamer bitch how this game isn't "old-school" enough even though they're not specifically going for an old-school style *coughshadowwarrior2013cough*

It's pretty cool that it looks like it manages to be a good throwback without deliberately emulating the early 90s FPS style. I've been kind of ambivalent towards a lot of those games lately, because even Serious Sam at times tends to read like a superficial copy of those rather than a deliberately thought out modern equivalent.

It's also pretty cool that there are colors other than pitch black.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm still worried about the PC version though, because while Snapmap is nice and all, Doom has a legendary modding community and i'm really afraid that they're not giving the PC version mod tools.

It's pretty cool that it looks like it manages to be a good throwback without deliberately emulating the early 90s FPS style. I've been kind of ambivalent towards a lot of those games lately, because even Serious Sam at times tends to read like a superficial copy of those rather than a deliberately thought out modern equivalent.

It's also pretty cool that there are colors other than pitch black.

I hate when DOOM gets compared to Serious Sam. SS is thoughtless, bland, tasteless equivalent of DOOM. Love DOOM, Quake, Wolfenstein, Duke Nukem, Alien Trilogy, Star Wars: Dark Forces and many other proper DOOM clones. But Serious Sam? It feels like it was made by somebody who played DOOM once and tried to remember what made it great. 

LOTS OF GUNZZZZ, GIANT BORING EGYPT LANDSCAPE, LOTS OF ENEMEZ :v 

Heck, Painkiller and Serious Sam have more in common with each other than DOOM.  

... surely they're trying to cash in on the popular Doom modding community, no?

Well if they really wanna cash in on them they should've announced proper mod tools, right now the Doom modding community is really worried that SnapMap is the only thing they're gonna get...

• 7 months later...

Well the game is out.

The word on the street is. The multiplayer is kinda naff. 

The single player however is the best single player campaign since Wolfenstein the New Order.

Which most people said had the best single player campaign in decades. 

Has anyone here rip and teared their guts out at the magesty that is Doom 2016-9000?

I'm personally not playing the game; gory and depraved directions are outside of my interests in vidya, but also because of the environment I play in, lol. The fact that it's made of open-ended levels instead of corridors do peak the interest of my Metroid Prime fan inside of me, though. Good that it turned out to be a great game for the series and it's fans.

There is something I want to touch on that I've noticed with this game that I like a lot, though, and that's that the main character sounds like the perfect "blank slate" character that has been made for a video game so far - that I've seen, at least - if what Totalbiscut touched upon and showed off applies to the whole game.

He doesn't speak, customization doesn't really matter because he isn't all that visible to the player, and yet is more than just a soulless avatar, like Link, Samus, or the like are for the player to "project onto" 90% of the time. He has character through his animations, and it's a violent, reckless character that doesn't much care about all the exposition or orders he's given; a gun-ho psychopath, mostly. But that character doesn't seem like it'd negate the projection of the player onto him as a result, like others would; if anything, it seems like it would strengthen it even more. 

Ripping stuff apart in a frantic way, not holding anything back against enemies, doing the tasks the serious NPCs ask in such a careless and reckless manner, and in general being a "let me get back to my shooting" kind of guy is something you, as a player, want to do in a game like this. There are no scripted "deep interest in what people have to say" moments, that's up to your call as a player, and there aren't any real "motivation" moments as if it "needs" something for you to play through a fun game. Just shoot, kill, melee, kill, grab, solve, shoot, kill - it's all in line with what you feel like doing in a game like this. And that kind of thing really seems like something that would melt the barrier of projection right away, and further immerse yourself into the world than anything else could achieve, personality-wise.

Granted, he seems a bit angrier than what the typical gamer will feel like when playing, but at least it isn't Kratos-level "I WILL KILL ALL THE GODS" anger, full of scripted cutscenes and motivations to set it up. What initiative would a character have to do all this gory stuff "for fun" if he didn't have that anger, either?

Again, not interested in playing a game like this specifically, but this seems like a pretty great step in the use of blank slate characters, and it'd be awesome if other genres and games handled them with the same thought and appropriate animation/character choices. Not to make an engaging character out of the blank slate for some reason as if "relatable" is the same thing, or to leave it as blank as can be and leave it all to the player, (utterly blank character animations just gives off a bored feel to them, imo) but to assume what kind of mentality players go into the game with, what they're looking for as an individual, and create a blank-slate-character that would best serve that, and help make games all the more immersive with these characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, The Deleter said:

I'm personally not playing the game;

.......................and you follow this up with an somewhat interesting observation about the main character. okay......

anyway iam done with uncharted 4, i really like to move on to this if i can convince my younger sister to pay for a redbox rental for me (i feel stupid for saying that because i should be living on my own now, having a job. spenting money on heatlh food. clothes.and living conditions ugh)

• Thumbs Up 1

from the first level footage, the Single player look dope enough! This reboot wasn't in my radar until now. i will probably pick out this summer. good to see doomguy back.

• 2 weeks later...

I've played it and completed the story. 

To make it short before making a longer post, this is what DOOM 3 should have been! (Though I do love Doom 3)

The game chucks you right into the action from the start and it's awesome. The entire presentation is well done. There IS a tutorial meshed into the first couple levels but it's so subtle, you won't really notice it as the game assumes you know how to play an FPS. The campaign DOES have a story, but like the tutorial, it's very subtle, less subtle than the tutorial, but still subtle. 

The marine is a faceless, soulless killing machine. Which is a nice change of pace, seeing most franchises have ditched the silent protagonist angle. But DoomGuy's destructive persona and muteness is put into perspective through the games story as well as some deeper narrative pieces you can alternatively pick up. But the game is non-stop action from beginning to end!

And like classic DOOM games, it IS repetitive. Shoot enemies >> move a little further >> shoot enemies >> explore >> etc. All of this while avoiding the feeling of being too nostalgic or trapped in the past *coughDukeNukemForevercough* It's truly a DOOM game for the modern age! It's important to note that while it's repetitive, it doesn't stop being fun.

There were definitely certain moments that I died at several times and like DOOM titles of old, there are some Demons that piss me off to an almighty level, which only adds more satisfaction on killing the asshole! 

Not only is it the Best FPS campaign since Wolfenstein: The New Order, it's much better than The New Order! While I love Machine Games' two Wolfenstein titles, I'm so glad ID focused on the Campaign of DOOM. As the title reeks of love, passion, patience and fan service. 

Also there are Collectibles :D Ones that are fun to collect for a change! Oh, and Classic Doom Rooms :o That can be played as full levels from the main menu. And also multiplayer (if that's your thing)

It's a game that keeps on giving!

Rip and Tear! Fight like Hell!!!

Yeah, I haven't completed the campaign yet, but holy shit is this game awesome. Just listen to the soundtrack.

The only gripe I have though is that the later level design becomes a lot more corridor-y later on, the early-mid levels are absolutely brilliant though.