Awoo.

Sonic's speed

StarUser21

I was talking to lizuka on his facebook account and decided to ask what Sonic's speed was, and if he was faster than light. It's quite interesting.

fgf.PNG

If Super Sonic is faster than light speed...than what is the speed of Hyper Sonic? (Dodges projectiles)

Hyper Sonic isn't canon.

But Super Sonic being faster than light...? That's essentially putting him in a situation where Super Sonic can transcend dimensions and break the laws of physics at the twitch of a finger. This doesn't necessarily mean anything for gameplay purposes, but there is literally no in-universe reason why, say, Eggman is able to catch Super Sonic by surprise without him teleporting away in the beginning of Unleashed, or for Knuckles to knock the Chaos Emeralds out of him at the start of Sonic 3, for example.

Ah well, it's the series godmode. May as well make it OP as you can.

• Thumbs Up 1

When it comes to the series' canon I've just decided its better for my mental health that I just role with it. Anything goes with this franchise. Anything.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Sonic Team will be less inclined to make a Sonic Adventure 3 if people are rigorously begging for it, and the chances of it happening were already nill. Like Monkokaio, this is also a pet peeve of mine, especially when the first two have aged poorly, but I digress. 

Back on topic, take any 'canon' with a grain of salt and just consider each game more or less individual like a Mario game. 

Edited by The Dog
  • Thumbs Up 5

I do feel bad for Mr Iizuka. I wish important people can have social media pages without being bothered by stupid requests and questions. (T_T)

A lot of fans seem to get mad when some excitable fans discuss stuff like SA3 and it really surprises me. Iizuka probably just laughs it off, he seems like he has a great sense of humour to me and probably doesn't mind the 'silly' questions. I remember everyone getting pissed when a fan asked him if Tails Doll had any friends. I mean, yeah, it's a dumb question, but he found it pretty funny.

This guy is having fun with Iizuka, leave him be!

Edited by Matthew
  • Thumbs Up 2

Or how about this... We don't bug dev's through their personal channels?

Oh, I thought this was some kind of fan page and fan mail on Facebook. My bad, that's a bit messed up actually.

• Thumbs Up 2

People started bugging Sumo Digital staff about stuff then positing private conversations. They now don't engage with fans as much and one had to delete tons of people from his Facebook list.

The current Sonc writers also no longer deal with fans due to the amount of harassment.

And this is without getting into that lady who worked on Sonic 2, the Roger Craig smith death threats and the bullshit that the SA3 facebook group does.

So remind me again why we should say to people that this kind of stuff is ok?

There's more than the SA3 facebook page? God, where did our Sonic fanbase go so wrong?

• Thumbs Up 2

I actually think the Sonic fanbase is kick-ass on the whole and we shouldn't criticise ourselves so much when everyone is else is already doing so.

All the guy did was make an SA3 joke. Iizuka probably doesn't even give a shit about it anymore. No need to overreact to it.

People started bugging Sumo Digital staff about stuff then positing private conversations. They now don't engage with fans as much and one had to delete tons of people from his Facebook list.

The current Sonc writers also no longer deal with fans due to the amount of harassment.

And this is without getting into that lady who worked on Sonic 2, the Roger Craig smith death threats and the bullshit that the SA3 facebook group does.

So remind me again why we should say to people that this kind of stuff is ok?

This was a lame joke that Iizuka likely just rolled his eyes at and moved on. I don't see the comparison between this and the obsessed fantards making death threats that you mentioned.

• Thumbs Up 2

SA3 would be ok as long as they don't name it SA3, or Sonic 06 2. (Although if sega did a stunt and named it sonic 06 2 it would be freaking hilarious.)

Also I thought everyone realized by now Super Sonic is just op

• Thumbs Up 1

While I agree that it is rude and unnecessary to badger developers like that, I'm going to ask that we stick to the main topic here.  I think the case has been made at this point.

Anywho, in regards to the comments that going faster than the speed of light would entail all sorts of things that would interfere with in-game events, my personal headcanon is that what we see Super Sonic do isn't the full extent to what the Chaos Emeralds' can do.  Like, I think that Sonic might have to train more with the Chaos Emerlads to unlock their full potential, but it's not easy because they're quickly separated.  BUUUUUUUUT I doubt that this holds any validity as I'm sure it will be contradicted the very next time we see Super Sonic. XD

Edited by Tara
  • Thumbs Up 4

Off-topic: I don't think that SA3 will be coming in the future. SA3 is 'chronologically' called Sonic Heroes because its story follows the 'presumed' death of Shadow in SA2, but he was alive, but lost his memory in Sonic Heroes.

On-topic: I don't think that Super Sonic is faster than light. He's faster than the speed of sound like the Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing narrator.

I thought it was well established that Super Sonic is faster than the speed of light since Sonic in his regular form is already faster than the speed of sound.

As for the SA3 talk, 06 is as close to an SA3 as its ever going to be really. 06's concept is the same as SA1 and it's narrative structure is similar to SA2 as well sooo yeah.

Wonder if we'll ever be talked about by the Adventure fans because of this?

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay but really guys.  Let's leave SA3 out of this completely.  It doesn't like to be so out in the open.  It prefers to remain a suppressed pain in your subconscious psyche, perhaps a subtle hint of longing but you're not sure what for.  That thing that drives us all to both our most passionate quests and our most bitter of failures.  That feeling that out there, there is something more for us, but we're not sure if we'll ever see it in our lifetime.  That's what SA3 was meant to be.  That's what SA3 was always meant to be, just as Abraham Lincoln invented it.  So please, no more SA3 here.  You're hurting SA3's feelings.

Besides that, there's also a rule about no SA3 topics like right on top of the forum index and this is getting dangerously close, but that's a comparatively minor point.

Edited by Tara
  • Thumbs Up 4

I actually went looking for this recently and found two sources pertaining to Super Sonic's speed, namely the All-Stars Racing manual and the Super Sonic trophy in Smash 4 (Wii U). They place Super Sonic's speed just below and at the speed of light respectively, and now we have Iizuka saying it's over light speed. Hooray for inconsistency!

I thought it was well established that Super Sonic is faster than the speed of light since Sonic in his regular form is already faster than the speed of sound.

I seem to recall an official Q&A on the old US website confirmed that Sonic's top speed is the speed of sound (Wayback Machine is down right now so I can't check). Of course that was back in the Adventure days, before they started retconning things at the drop of a hat, there's no way of knowing what Sonic's top speed is supposed to be now. Not like it really matters anyway, it'll be something completely different by the time November rolls around.

Wonder if we'll ever be talked about by the Adventure fans because of this?

Rest assured you already are.

EDIT: Here's that Q&A I was talking about.

Edited by Bowbowis