Awoo.

Sonic's speed

StarUser21

I believe Iizuka's allowed to make stuff up on the fly and it's technically canon but that doesn't mean we have to pay attention.

Personally I do wonder what Sonic's unaided speed even is though, and how far he can keep that up. The nature of Sonic's speed and endurance ability is rather unknown,  whether rings (or some other power) is necessary or simply a game mechanic.

I tend to assume Sonic's ability is athletic in nature, and not limited by the consumption of supernatural energy since it came before "boosting" was a thing. The former insinuates Sonic is limited by the potential for exhaustion though.

Edited by Amomynous

The former insinuates Sonic is limited by the potential for exhaustion though.

"That's the difference between me and you, metal... if you get tired you can just recharge... but I... DON'T GET TIRED!" 

I don't ever get invited to parties...

"That's the difference between me and you, metal... if you get tired you can just recharge... but I... DON'T GET TIRED!" 

I don't ever get invited to parties...

I always did interpret that scene as Sonic putting Metal in a false sense of security but if Sonic did got tired. well guess Boom Sonic doesn't have as much stamina than Modern Sonic.

I always did interpret that scene as Sonic putting Metal in a false sense of security but if Sonic did got tired. well guess Boom Sonic doesn't have as much stamina than Modern Sonic.

I think that was intended as a rebuttal. Boom Sonic has a couple of times shown that he doesn't get tired. It's not the same canon though and licensed material has a tendency to exaggerate his powers.

• 3 weeks later...

Sonic's speed is always going to be in the air, but this statement definitely helps to figure out the mystery. Now that we have something more concrete, it certainly helps. But, I thought Sonic could already go beyond light speed?

When Iizuka mentioned that SA3 could still be a possibilty.

Right, but he could have just said that to hush the people? I mean, he's not saying no, but neither is he saying yes.

Also I thought everyone realized by now Super Sonic is just op

Maybe not as OP as you think! Remember, Super Sonic could be damaged (and pretty bad too) in Unleashed.

Anywho, in regards to the comments that going faster than the speed of light would entail all sorts of things that would interfere with in-game events, my personal headcanon is that what we see Super Sonic do isn't the full extent to what the Chaos Emeralds' can do.  Like, I think that Sonic might have to train more with the Chaos Emerlads to unlock their full potential, but it's not easy because they're quickly separated.  BUUUUUUUUT I doubt that this holds any validity as I'm sure it will be contradicted the very next time we see Super Sonic. XD

I like this head canon! c: