Awoo.

Miraculous Ladybug

ElectricAngel

fP1iHTV.jpg

Miraculous Ladybug is a new CGI TV series developed by a ton of animation studios. Seriously, this show has one of the most confusing development cycles ever. It started off 2D in an anime style by Toei Animation, but is now being developed in CGI by Zagtoon, Method Animation, and SAMG Animation. Disney's also helping with promoting this show in the majority of Europe, while Bandai's handling the merchandise. So yeah, tons of people are working on this show. A bit worrying, but the show looks promising. A trailer was released a few months ago. For the English dub, Cristina Vee will be Ladybug's voice actress, and I'm not sure if this is her in the initial trailer but she did confirm recently that she's the voice in the final version.

So what's interesting about this show is, although Ladybug is the main character, there's also a co-hero called Cat Noir. Ladybug harnesses the power of good luck, while Cat Noir gets the power of bad luck. It's quite an interesting idea that can lead to many comedic moments, so I'm excited to see how it will play out. The series takes place in Paris, and if you look at the trailer, there is some really beautiful animation. The show has already aired in Korea, so if any Korean SSMBers have seen it, it'd be cool to share your thoughts. I'm not sure about many of the international premiere dates, but because it's a rather internationally made cartoon, it seems a lot of the dates are close. In France it's going to air in October (I think in the next 2 weeks but don't quote me on that) on TF1. The USA is getting it on Nickelodeon of all channels in early December, and the majority of Europe is getting it on Disney Channel. For Europe, I only know Greece's approximate date, which is February. Though it can be assumed other European countries will get it around that time or earlier. 

But yeah, anyone else excited for this? I was at first a little skeptical, but now that the release date is close and we have more information surfaced, I'm looking forward to it. Now, the trailer above does have a lot of early animation tests but I think it's representative enough of the final product. One thing I like is how well the action sequences look. It might rival Nickelodeon's TMNT. They definitely know how to excite the viewer with all those different camera angles and use of slow motion and different reaction speeds of the characters. 

Now, as a bonus here's a super secret behind the scenes video and some concept art. They're a bit old, but I still feel they're worth sharing.

4rZtIjl.jpg

pn6nTWv.png

hMVfoRF.png

i0vkQFl.png

hFjHsc6.png

• Thumbs Up 2

They've mentioned that should there be enough interest in the show, they'll resume development for the "2D" version of the show, aka the anime version.

And I probably want this a bit more honestly

To be honest, I too, don't know what to think of it. I mean, if it was in anime style it would be one of most unique and cool things I've ever watched, but... I dunno. I was always interested in this so I probably give it a shot anyway, even tho' this animation style is not my forte. Hope the series are good!

This looks so cute and fun!  I will definitely have to check it out when it airs!

I, too, would like to see an "anime" version of it, though I'd like them to avoid pulling a Sailor Moon Crystal with it and having models that resemble modern anime while having a lot of really... odd bits of animation to put it nicely.  I'd like the 2D animated version to be stylistic, not just cashing in on anime because anime.

Anyway, I highly look forward to this!

I think both the CGI and anime versions look absolutely delightful. Very fluid and action-packed, and the dynamic between the two heroes looks refreshing and fun. From what I understand, Cat Noir is in love with Ladybug, but the feelings aren't reciprocated. On the other hand, Ladybug's alter-ego is in love with Cat Noir's alter-ego, but the feelings aren't reciprocated. I'm a sucker for romance in cartoons, and it should lead to some really amusing moments.

I've been following up on this show's development for about a year now, glad to see a topic made about it finally. I'm pretty pumped for this show, both the CGI version and for whenever the anime version will be released. The animation looks pretty great as do the action scenes, and Marinette is a total cutie. <3 Helps that she has Shantae's VA.

Okay, the Animation is really lovely! And the Colors! :D I'm interested in seeing this!

Also, Nickelodeon is getting the show on December 6th!

Some other stuff too, Hawk Moth is the antagonist, and he'll be voiced (in the English version) by Keith Silverstein (Who voiced Vector in the Sonic series)

Edited by The Candy Crusader

• 1 month later...

I can't believe we're already a week away from the premiere (for a large chunk of the world at least). December 4th for Greece (and certain other European countries possibly?), Middle East, and Africa! And December 6th for the USA! I'm super pumped to see it. Though I'm a bit concerned on the dubbing. The estimate before was February for a Greek release, but now official word has come that it's out December. I'm not sure if this was because the network was unsure (because it happens at times) or if they just managed to get it ready earlier than expected. Well either way, I hope all goes well.

Also, since the show has been out in France and Korea now, has anyone from SSMB seen it? I'd like to hear some opinions on it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I've yet to see it but my friend on Twitter talks about it and retweets fanart of it all the time. It's made me really hyped to watch it. It looks pretty cute and funny and the animation's pretty nice. Also, Cristina Vee. Aw yiss.

I actually drew the two main characters as well:

3169002-IE7HYRKHWQn7ckxr.jpg

So yeah, pretty excited.

I've seen it in Korean. Personally I really enjoy the show, it's nothing spectacular, but it just hits all the right notes of entertainment for me ya know? 

I swear that this show's title font just screams "Totally Spies " to me. 

• Chuckle 1

What channel will this be airing on in the US again?  I have to set it record when the time comes.

I believe it's airing on Nickelodeon out here in the US.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so the first episode just finished airing and I have to say that I'm in love. The show is almost like a CGI Pretty Cure. The show has some beautiful animation, and the writing is quite good as well. Marinette is a hilarious and relatable character. She's clumsy, awkward, but has a strong spirit and sense of right. The show does use a lot of.. I'm not sure what to call it. "Bodily humour?" Reactions and expressions basically. There are several moments that had me laughing out loud such as

Stormy Wind not wanting to hear Cat Noir's talk and just blowing him away with this "please fuck off" face. And Cat Noir's smug face after saying "But I look good in my swimsuit" and Ladybug just getting weirded out. (You'll get why he says that if you see the episode) 

It's quite realistic that way, I guess. But it works. The humour doesn't propose something too over the top that wouldn't work with the show's tone or animation style. An obvious fact, you might think, but it's surprising how many studios mess it up. Oh and speaking of animation style, the animation and fight scenes were amazing. The transformation sequences looked beautiful and during fights, the animators knew exactly what angles to use and how to pose everyone. It's hard to explain but you guys will see eventually. It's exciting to watch, is what I'm saying. Something I wish I could say for other shows' fight scenes *cough*Sonic Boom*cough*. 

I think my only complaints with the show was how the first episode just thew us into this world without any background knowledge. Yes, the theme song tells us the basics. But literally just that. Marinette has a secret identity, Ladybug. We don't see how Marinette became Ladybug or how.. whatever his name was (oops) became Cat Noir or who the little fairy type creatures they have are or who/what is Miraculous. I can only hope that they're saving it for a later episode and have a sort of origin story in the style of Ladybug explaining to someone or having her reminisce or something. And really, I guess it's not that big of a negative, because it only made me more interested in these characters and their world. It's just that typically, the formula is that the first episode is the introductory episode. 

Moving on to the other only negative, and this is exclusively for the Greek dub. I'll watch the English one tomorrow since they're having a rerun. But the dub felt a little rushed. Some sentences did not flow as well and the theme song especially was sloppy. But the casting was at least good. I'm already in love with Cat Noir. Oh, but there was this little girl that Marinette was babysitting in this episode and her voice.. Oh geez, her voice. I swear Greek dubs can never make little kids sound cute. Just annoying. I honestly hope she doesn't return. 

• Thumbs Up 1

So it is coming on Disney Channel. Great...I dont think ill watch it that much. So it comes on Sunday. Ill watch the first episode.

Anyone else aside me got a major Totally Spies feel from this show?

Anyway, love it, I've been keeping tabs on the making of this toon ever since I first found out about it on Tumblr a year ago. 

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, so I've watched a few episode of the show and while I was initially enthused for it, I have to say that I was very underwhelmed watching it.

The character designs and the voice acting for most of the characters are decent, but I feel like the show is extremely formulaic to the point of being uninteresting.  I appreciate that the show has a lot of Sailor Moon influence, but none of the charms that, even ironically, made Sailor Moon a fun show to watch.  Maybe it's the boring music, maybe the characters just aren't likable, maybe it's the fact that Cat Noir is a boring character that has been used in literally EVERY pseudo-anime ever?

Seriously, Cat Noir is a character that I feel like I've seen so many times before because I know I have.  He's Odd from Code: Lyoko.  He's Beat Boy from Teen Titans (minus the interesting emotional conflicts and stuff).  I'm pretty sure there was a similar character in Totally Spies.  Is there a TV Tropes page for "Whiny Dumbass With a Nasally Voice and a Cocky Attitude" trope?  I feel like this archetype plagued the mid-2000's to the point of being a staple.  And maybe that's why this show just doesn't click with me.  It feels like a mid-2000's show, while not touching upon anything new or interesting.

To make matters worse, I feel like I don't understand the setup and the pilot episode doesn't do much to help me with that.  How did Ladybug and Cat Noir get their powers?  Who are those Navi-esque floating things?  Why do Ladybug and Cat Noir not know each other's secret identities?  Do they not trust each other?  They're shown to be pretty close allies in the show.  And yes, I know I can just look up this information on Wikipedia or something, but that's the thing.  I'm not complaining that this information isn't available.  I'm complaining that it isn't conveyed within the show.

I was hoping this show would be at least cheesy to the point where it's funny.  But it's honestly just sort of boring.  Not bad enough to be terrible, but not good enough for me to care.  I'm thinking I'll probably take it off my DVR schedule.

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, Tara said:

And yes, I know I can just look up this information on Wikipedia or something

Uh........................................... no not really. I've tried and to my knowledge there is just no information of this anywhere. It's not just not conveyed on the show, it's not conveyed anywhere at all to my knowledge.

16 minutes ago, nintega137 said:

Uh........................................... no not really. I've tried and to my knowledge there is just no information of this anywhere. It's not just not conveyed on the show, it's not conveyed anywhere at all to my knowledge.

Oh lol, I just assumed it would be there and told myself I'd check after I posted, but forgot.  My bad.  This show doesn't make sense even with research. XP

13 minutes ago, Tara said:

Oh lol, I just assumed it would be there and told myself I'd check after I posted, but forgot.  My bad.  This show doesn't make sense even with research. XP

Nope.What's funny though is from what I can tell, this show seems too fall under a lot of the categorical problems that a lot of french cartoons I've seen do.

Hell to add onto this, it seems that the creator

A. Apparently wants Ladybug to be a strong feminist figure and to break down several stereotypes of women in fiction and super heroics............. not sure how good of a job he's doing but I'm not totally adept to talk.

B. Has some idea of a long over arching story that gradually gets "darker" and "more complex" with each passing season. Or something like that. 

Which is funny to me, Thinking back "Code Lyoko" was extremely episodic during its first season, but by season two began to try to tell a story. 

39 minutes ago, nintega137 said:

Nope.What's funny though is from what I can tell, this show seems too fall under a lot of the categorical problems that a lot of french cartoons I've seen do.

Hell to add onto this, it seems that the creator

A. Apparently wants Ladybug to be a strong feminist figure and to break down several stereotypes of women in fiction and super heroics............. not sure how good of a job he's doing but I'm not totally adept to talk.

B. Has some idea of a long over arching story that gradually gets "darker" and "more complex" with each passing season. Or something like that. 

Which is funny to me, Thinking back "Code Lyoko" was extremely episodic during its first season, but by season two began to try to tell a story. 

Not going to make this a sociopolitical thread, but I wouldn't call Ladybug either of those things.  I wouldn't call her a particularly offensive character, either, but not one that breaks any barriers or anything.

As for the second, ehhh I can only hope it changes in tone a little later down the road, but it still has a long way to go presentation-wise before I ever plan on giving it a second looksee.

Code Lyoko is an interesting example, because while the second season did introduce a continuous running plot, the episodes were still formulaic and basic throughout, with the continuity being a side point rather than the main exhibit.  So I hope that Ladybug doesn't go that route.

4 minutes ago, Tara said:

Not going to make this a sociopolitical thread, but I wouldn't call Ladybug either of those things.  I wouldn't call her a particularly offensive character, either, but not one that breaks any barriers or anything.

As for the second, ehhh I can only hope it changes in tone a little later down the road, but it still has a long way to go presentation-wise before I ever plan on giving it a second looksee.

Code Lyoko is an interesting example, because while the second season did introduce a continuous running plot, the episodes were still formulaic and basic throughout, with the continuity being a side point rather than the main exhibit.  So I hope that Ladybug doesn't go that route.

True. The quality of that story overall is questionable in the first place. Makes me want too see more shows like Oban Star Racers (but then again the last time I saw that show I was kid, so it may not be as great as I remember it).