Awoo.

Inktober: SSMB Edition 2015

Zaysho

It's that time again!

Last year I made a topic for Inktober and it was quite fun. My participation wasn't exactly great, but other artists of SSMB really came through! Since people seemed to enjoy it, I thought it'd be neat to open up the challenge on here again.

So, what is Inktober?

Inktober is a challenge created by Mr. Jake Parker to make at least one drawing a day in ink for the month of October. The rules are simple:

1) Make a drawing in ink (you can do a pencil under-drawing if you want).

2) Post it on your blog (or tumblr, instagram, twitter, facebook, flickr, Pinterest or just pin it on your wall.)

3) Hashtag it with #inktober

4) Repeat

Since I remember there was some confusion as far as what counts during the last challenge, I'm going to do my best to clarify things here:

Your drawings must be finished in ink. If you start out with some rough pencils, that's perfectly fine, just ink it. I'm leaving the materials open in this challenge because I want this to be accessible, fun, and low-pressure for anyone who wishes to participate. In addition to traditional ink with a brush/dip pen or technical/inking pens/liners (e.g. Micron), I'll also open it up to ballpoint pen and Sharpie pens/markers. I'm also going to allow digital ink, since I think that is valid and I'm sure there are plenty of artists here that work primarily digitally anyway. My only requirement there is that your finished drawing/lineart is done in black (though transparent grays for tone/shading will be fine). I'll also say you can be as sketchy or as tight as you want with your drawings, so long as it's done in ink in some way and it's at least readable. Don't be afraid to experiment with other media, either!

I hope that's pretty clear, but feel free to ask if you're unsure.

Without further ado, since I'm the one making this topic and all, I should post my first entry...

Inktober1web.png

I might change things along the way, but my current plan is to do all my entries in a sketchbook my sister gave me a while back. The downside is it's small and I'm going to force myself to use brushes for most of my entries... so this should be interesting. I also want to stick to a single theme for this and thought Gurren Lagann characters (inspired by the dailydragonball tumblr) would be a good way to go since I just finished watching the series recently.

Now, what are you waiting for? Get inkin'.

I ended up planning out a comic to ink just for this month.

It's only a few pages away from being finished, so I'll try to post a page every day of the month... I'll probably be posting the cover tonight.

Sure, why not? This is just the incentive I need to draw some more.

For my first drawing, I decided on a very creative character choice - a character that I absolutely guarantee has never, ever been drawn by a member of this forum before:

MetaJungliraSmall_zpseq4oan5y.jpg

The setting is supposed to be Meta Junglira Zone, by the way...obscure levels for the win?

• Thumbs Up 2

Very crude pumpkin spice Werehog. Because Halloween and fall and pumpkin everywhere.

2015_10_01_PumpkinSpiceWerehog_zps4ekrik

• Thumbs Up 7

Even game developers are getting in on Inktober:

tumblr_nvjvazDqY41u3akyno2_540.jpg

Happy Squid Inktober, everyone! One of our Senior Squid Researchers provided us with this super fresh sketch to kick off the month of October. If you’re participating in Inktober and draw anything Splatoon related, tag it with Squid Inktober so that we can see!

• Thumbs Up 2

tumblr_nvkq9s3py91rammm1o1_540.jpg

(Copy and pasted from tumblr)

Gonna be doing a comic for Inktober again! This time focusing on the god of the underworld’s daughter, Azrae. Join her and her sheltered, undead butler, Alan traverse the strange world known as the afterlife! 

I’m gonna try and post a page every day, so look forward to it!

• Thumbs Up 2

Another Warehawg, this time busting a Nightmare's shit because he interrupted pumpkin spice time. Probably gonna do Werehogs for most or all of the time. xD

nepenthe-don-t-interrupt-me.png

• Thumbs Up 7

tumblr_nvmlmke7G21rammm1o1_540.jpg

Page 1... Not a whole lot to say here. Azrae and her ghost butler Alan have a conversation at the Inn they're staying at.

Hope you guys can read my awful handrwiting. If not, I may have to resort to typing the dialouge in photoshop or something.

Edited by Emperor Robrainiac
  • Thumbs Up 3

The Werehog Train will not stop.

nepenthe-you-could-ve-used-your-shield.p

Best friend. (rollerball with pencil outline)

nepenthe-one-more-time.png

Another best friend. (sharpie)

• Thumbs Up 7

I uh... forgot to post page 2 yesterday... whoops. =P

tumblr_nvqb8ryI6c1rammm1o1_540.jpg

And here's page 3 as well.

tumblr_nvqbfjYfKj1rammm1o1_540.jpg

Not all that experienced with drawing creepily... still, tis, the season to be spooky.

• Thumbs Up 3

tumblr_nvs65oV1bX1rammm1o1_540.jpg

PG 4

Well she sure showed those guys. Good thing she can deactivate that creepy eye thing, right?

Also, Rae decides to take a walk around town before the moon goes out.

I kinda had an Idea where the underworld is eternally at night, and the moon changes phases the way the sun and the moon rotate… Unfortunately, I really didn’t want more exposition to fill up the comic… Oh well, maybe next comic I'll do a better job at world building.

Time to educate the new age on an old school hero!

Rocketeer%202.jpg

I'm feeling a bit sick at the moment and it's kind of slown down my momentum on a few projects. So to cool down, I decided to make a quick Inktober pic of the Rocketeer. 

Honestly, using heavy ink is pretty fun! I just my focus on this more on my other projects and such.

• Thumbs Up 3

tumblr_nvu3whE82Y1rammm1o1_540.jpg

Who's ready to check out the strange village?

Dunno why I put in *FRUSTRATED SIGH* as a sound effect...

Two pages this time. Gonna spoiler them to save space.

tumblr_nvxrm6n05r1rammm1o1_540.jpg

This one is simply a splash page of Azrae and Alan walking. Figured it'd be boring if I just left it at that yesterday, so I put it off until today, and inked the next page while I was at it.

tumblr_nvxrm6n05r1rammm1o2_540.jpg

This page was pretty fun to draw. I took a lot of insparation from the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari when drawing this. Inking was a pain, though... I hope it turned out well enough, just to give the readers a good idea of how weird this world I envisioned is.

tumblr_nvzmm0EBrN1rammm1o1_540.jpg

A Triple Post? Is this okay?

Anyways, more fun with backgrounds, this one wasn't as painful to trace as the previous page. 

tumblr_nw1ivbDu521rammm1o1_r1_540.jpg

To Alan, this is the strangest thing he’s seen yet... To Rae, it’s just another day in the Underworld...

tumblr_nw4ztsFf6K1rammm1o1_540.jpg

Rae is pretty clueless when it comes to those who came from the land of the living…

By the way... Is it okay for me to be posting this much in a row? This topic seems to be pretty dead, so I'm beginning to wonder if I should just move this onto my own art topic... I mean, I don't want this topic to be all about my work...

Two Pages again, today, to make up for the day i missed.

tumblr_nw8t7ac4rb1rammm1o1_540.jpg

tumblr_nw8t7ac4rb1rammm1o2_540.jpg

Two pages, today… Looks like Rae’s gonna do her best to help cheer her frightened butler friend up.

tumblr_nwco3bfEPc1rammm1o1_540.jpg

Hmmm... I think after this or the next page, I'm gonna start the pages of the comic in my art topic... I'm really taking up all the posts here, and I'm really not digging it...