Awoo.

Sonic Lost World heading to Steam (2 November)

Carbo

If Sonic Lost World is taking a long time to download, change your steam download server to Japan.

Mine just went from 20 hours to 20min.

So it's confirmed that Sonic Team's the one who ported this then ?

Not bad for a first port Sonic Team, now let's see more specific settings in the 25th anniversary Sonic game.

Wow really surprised to learn they just outright removed the Circus minigames.  That's a pretty substantial content difference that wasn't expected (unlike the lack of Nintendo DLC).  It wouldn't be ideal but I feel they could have left those in with mouse control, or perhaps slowed them down so that less precise controller control would've been acceptable.

From skimming that video, I'm surprised the NiGHTS DLC unlocks after the first stage.  Considering there's nothing in this version to clarify that it is meant to be bonus content, and the fact that it sort of spoils half the game's bosses in a way (and thus might be difficult for a new player), they really should've made it unlock by beating the game or something.

Edited by JezMM

Can someone please help me out with something? Windows 8 can run Sonic Generations pretty good (I have to turn down the resolution a bit and the game has some minor lag here and there) but Lost World is running pretty badly. I got a feeling it's because of the lack of the option to turn off the V Sync so is there a way to force turn off Vsync? Other tips for boosting performance would be nice too.

My laptop specs are the following:

CPU: Core i5-3230M 2,60GHz (4 CPUs), ~ 2,6GHz

RAM: 8GB

VA: Intel HD Graphics 4000, 1792MB of memory (I know this isn't the best graphic card, but the game's graphics are fucking crisp and smooth, the problem is with the framerate, it runs at around 40~45FPS in-game)

I think I might have to unlock the other cores of my CPU, Lost World is the only game I've installed on my laptop.

What do you mean? The 3230M is a dual-core Ivy Bridge. Are you confusing that it has 4 threads for 4 actual cores? I mean, as is, it has more than enough CPU power. The problem is that the integrated graphics just isn't going to be enough.

Can someone please help me out with something? Windows 8 can run Sonic Generations pretty good (I have to turn down the resolution a bit and the game has some minor lag here and there) but Lost World is running pretty badly. I got a feeling it's because of the lack of the option to turn off the V Sync so is there a way to force turn off Vsync? Other tips for boosting performance would be nice too.

Can you give us a run of your specs?

Wow really surprised to learn they just outright removed the Circus minigames.  That's a pretty substantial content difference that wasn't expected (unlike the lack of Nintendo DLC).  It wouldn't be ideal but I feel they could have left those in with mouse control, or perhaps slowed them down so that less precise controller control would've been acceptable.

Sadly, I would've preferred to have kept them just by virtue of them being the closest thing to having a playable Tails, aside from the Tornado level.

What do you mean? The 3230M is a dual-core Ivy Bridge. Are you confusing that it has 4 threads for 4 actual cores? I mean, as is, it has more than enough CPU power. The problem is that the integrated graphics just isn't going to be enough.

So the problem is supposely with my graphic card? Well, back when I had a PC, I used a program called CPU-Z, which gives you the exactly system information. I'll download it again and give you more detailed info, because I also think it shouldn't be lagging the way it is, this laptop is good.

Edit: Here it is!

specs_zpsmxsuyx51.png

You see, this kind of Optimus laptops always have 2 graphic cards, the onboard for simpler tasks (this Intel 4000) and the offboard, in my case, that GeForce 710M, which is enough, right? RIGHT? I also don't think Lost World is using the Intel 4000, otherwise the game wouldn't even open. And to be even more sure about it, I right click the .exe and select "run with graphic processors" > "high performance NVIDIA processor".

Edited by Jango

So the problem is supposely with my graphic card? Well, back when I had a PC, I used a program called CPU-Z, which gives you the exactly system information. I'll download it again and give you more detailed info, because I also think it shouldn't be lagging the way it is, this laptop is good.

Edit: Here it is!

Hidden Content

You see, this kind of Optimus laptops always have 2 graphic cards, the onboard for simpler tasks (this Intel 4000) and the offboard, in my case, that GeForce 710M, which is enough, right? RIGHT? I also don't think Lost World is using the Intel 4000, otherwise the game wouldn't even open. And to be even more sure about it, I right click the .exe and select "run with graphic processors" > "high performance NVIDIA processor".

Probably not. The 710M is a pretty weak graphics chip in comparison with newer Maxwell based graphics cards. Either way, neither Generations or Lost World properly works with Optimus, and will by default use the inferior Intel graphics. You'll need to try to find some way to force the game to use the discrete GPU.

Probably not. The 710M is a pretty weak graphics chip in comparison with newer Maxwell based graphics cards. Either way, neither Generations or Lost World properly works with Optimus, and will by default use the inferior Intel graphics. You'll need to try to find some way to force the game to use the discrete GPU.

Well, I'm trying to find a way to force the use of the NVIDIA GPU... even when I right click the .exe and select run with NVIDIA processor it still don't use it? Apparently yes, because no matter if I go to the NVIDIA control pannel and force Lost World to run with the high performance or the integrated graphics, there's no difference in the framerate...

Edited by Jango

Can you give us a run of your specs?

Whoops, sorry for taking a while:

RAM: 4GB

CPU: Intel Celeron G530 / 2.4 GHz

VA:

• Intel HD Graphics
  •  

VA:

• Intel HD Graphics
  •  
That can run Generations on your PC? Are you sure you have no GPU?

So, in order to fix my problem, I thought about something a friend of mine once said: "always download the latest drives". So I went to NVIDIA's website, and downloaded it. This new drive has a task bar, where it show which programs are using the NVIDIA GPU. I started Lost World normally and checked the bar: not using the GPU. So yeah, nativelly, it will always use the Intel one. Then, I went to the control pannel, and once again, forced SLW into using the high performance processor. Started the game, checked the task bar aaand: success! But... The game still runs at 40 to 50 FPS in most parts, at 1024x768... I think it runs at even less FPS than before I've instaled the drive, the hell? It reaches 60FPS in some levels, but only at said resolution (with the black bars up and down). All that means: my GPU suck, I got to upgrade it, if that's even possible with laptops.

I am surprised no one is complaining about the removal of the circus mini-games. Hopefully someone can re-enable it back in the game through the files or a mod.

So, in order to fix my problem, I thought about something a friend of mine once said: "always download the latest drives". So I went to NVIDIA's website, and downloaded it. This new drive has a task bar, where it show which programs are using the NVIDIA GPU. I started Lost World normally and checked the bar: not using the GPU. So yeah, nativelly, it will always use the Intel one. Then, I went to the control pannel, and once again, forced SLW into using the high performance processor. Started the game, checked the task bar aaand: success! But... The game still runs at 40 to 50 FPS in most parts, at 1024x768... I think it runs at even less FPS than before I've instaled the drive, the hell? It reaches 60FPS in some levels, but only at said resolution (with the black bars up and down). All that means: my GPU suck, I got to upgrade it, if that's even possible with laptops.

Unless it's a particularly high-end laptop? No, not possible.

VA:

• Intel HD Graphics
  •  

I'm almost certain that cannot run Generations. Either way, the good news is that being that it's a Sandy Bridge, it should be pretty damn easy to upgrade that thing to be a pretty capable gaming PC provided that your power supply can handle it.

Unless it's a particularly high-end laptop? No, not possible.

I'm almost certain that cannot run Generations. Either way, the good news is that being that it's a Sandy Bridge, it should be pretty damn easy to upgrade that thing to be a pretty capable gaming PC provided that your power supply can handle it.

I'm not on my computer at the moment so I just used this website: https://panam.gateway.com/s/desktop/2011/gateway/zx/zx6971/ZX6971sp2.shtml

I'm not super in depth on computers so I might have skip over some stuff but I can run Sonic Generations perfectly fine though so I don't get the problem.

I'm not on my computer at the moment so I just used this website: https://panam.gateway.com/s/desktop/2011/gateway/zx/zx6971/ZX6971sp2.shtml

I'm not super in depth on computers so I might have skip over some stuff but I can run Sonic Generations perfectly fine though so I don't get the problem.

Hmm. Nevermind then. If you're using the model without the graphics card, there would be no way you'd be able to put one in without straining the power supply.

Sooo I just tried launching the game... 3 times now. No dice. It just won't launch. Steam indicates that the game is "launched" but then after a few seconds it shows me out of game, and the game never launches. I even had Steam check the game files. :L

Edit: Looks like several others are having the same issue. http://steamcommunity.com/app/329440/discussions/0/490124466475004551/

Edited by ElectricAngel
  • Thumbs Up 1

So someone posted this on Steam:

http://pastebin.com/Qs2KKYG

A possible fix to improve the Framerate a bit,i tried to do it but the game won't launch anymore...

Anyone here who could give it a try and tell me if the game runs?

Edited by VioletX