Awoo.

Sonic Lost World heading to Steam (2 November)

Carbo

15 hours ago, JezMM said:

Been playing this again due to grabbing it in the 66% off sale too.  Overall a solid port, had no glitches or bugs, but have to say the whole game feels really... pixelly?  There's like no anti-ailasing at all, the game does not look as smooth as it does on a TV screen and it took me a while to get used to.  I'm also having to deal with a lazy letterboxed view since I'm using a 16:10 monitor.  I turned off depth-of-field too because the blurring effect on the backgrounds was also very ugly.  The blurring itself looks pixellated, like the blurred background is a lower resolution being artifically blown up to my 1680x1050 resolution.

You could try forcing AA through other means such as Nvidia's Inspector or AMD's counterpart if you have an AMD or Nvidia card. :) 

That's what I did. If I recall, did this game not have AA even on the Wii U?

Do ANY Wii U games have anti-aliasing?

8 hours ago, Faseeh said:

You could try forcing AA through other means such as Nvidia's Inspector or AMD's counterpart if you have an AMD or Nvidia card. :) 

I'll have a little poke around my Nvidia control panel I guess, thanks for the suggestion!

EDIT: Wow literally a flick of one switch and the game looks great.  Went into Nvidia control panel, set Antiailiasing - FXAA to "on" and the game looks exactly as I wanted it too, as smooth as Generations automatically does.  Can't believe what a simple fix it was.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone gotten this to work on the Intel HD 5500? I know it's integrated therefore weak, but I've seen some videos of the 4400 running it pretty smoothly. Thus I feel as if the HD 5500 which is a 20% performance improvement should be able to run it ever better. Every time I try to run the game it slows down to a complete crawl.

• 1 month later...

This is on sale for £5 this weekend! Along with a whole bunch of Sonic things.

I bought it, despite not really wanting it? A fiver was always my threshold for this, goddammit Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, Hyp3hat said:

I bought it, despite not really wanting it? A fiver was always my threshold for this, goddammit Sonic.

The curse of sales, I tell ya.

I need to re-install a bunch of my games after I un-installed them. I need to finish my mods off for Lost World, so I'll probably re-install that first.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Haalyle said:

The curse of sales, I tell ya.

I need to re-install a bunch of my games after I un-installed them. I need to finish my mods off for Lost World, so I'll probably re-install that first.

I'm so annoyed at myself, I opened Steam to see how much Stardew Valley was and cash is tight, so now I can't buy both. I am just Sonic Trash, I suppose.

What mods are you working on? 

3 hours ago, Hyp3hat said:

I'm so annoyed at myself, I opened Steam to see how much Stardew Valley was and cash is tight, so now I can't buy both. I am just Sonic Trash, I suppose.

Steam allows refunds don't they? Maybe you can refund it and get that instead if you want. :)

Also, can someone group all the regional prices together? I can only see the Canadian prices, I'll make the article afterward.

Here's the page:

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/sonic/

First impressions.... my PC isn't quite powerful enough. It runs Generations fine on highest quality settings, but this lagged. Luckily those Sonic Team codes worked, IDK what framerate it's running at with the uncapped setting but it's silky smooth, so I don't care.

Got some weird issues with the serial homing attack on the 'Mach Speed' Desert Ruins stage, so maybe I need to do it on 30 though. Although I have an Nvidia card so maybe I need to muck around with that...

Otherwise... it's aight! Had a nice half an hour blasting through the first few stages.... I mean, I would have been miffed paying £50 on the Wii U for it (or £20 on Steam, esp if it didn't run well out the box), but it's well worth £5/waiting for Stardew to go on sale.

On 2/4/2016 at 2:46 PM, Autosaver said:

Has anyone gotten this to work on the Intel HD 5500? I know it's integrated therefore weak, but I've seen some videos of the 4400 running it pretty smoothly. Thus I feel as if the HD 5500 which is a 20% performance improvement should be able to run it ever better. Every time I try to run the game it slows down to a complete crawl.

Probably Intel's drivers being ass. I know I have to force Sonic Adventure DX to use my GTX 960M, because the game just flat out is fucking broken on the HD 530 (even though the game is 18 years old, and definitely does not need a fucking 960M to run it). Not to mention I can't play City Escape on HD graphics either, due to memory leaks (not to say that the Nvidia graphics is better. Horrible screen tearing if I try to use the 960M).

8 hours ago, Hyp3hat said:

A simple one that's NoHUD. It works on different languages except Japanese. And I still needs to get rid of a few things as well.

And shutting D6 up during the stages. A bit hard to do with the tools I've got, but I can manage.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still can't finish the game due to the --F30 glitches, which is the only way I can play this game at full speed all the time... I doubt SEGA will ever fix that, tho.

On 3/10/2016 at 4:10 PM, Haalyle said:

A simple one that's NoHUD. It works on different languages except Japanese. And I still needs to get rid of a few things as well.

And shutting D6 up during the stages. A bit hard to do with the tools I've got, but I can manage.

I don't think a mod for this is really necessary since you can turn off the D6's in-game dialog in Lost World's audio settings. Although I suppose you could use your mod to shut them up during boss battles if there's a demand for that sort of thing. 

1 hour ago, Clewis said:

I don't think a mod for this is really necessary since you can turn off the D6's in-game dialog in Lost World's audio settings. Although I suppose you could use your mod to shut them up during boss battles if there's a demand for that sort of thing. 

I wish, but I don't have the tools to shut them up during the fights at the moment.

From my last time playing Lost World, doesn't that also shut off other voices as well?

1 hour ago, Haalyle said:

I wish, but I don't have the tools to shut them up during the fights at the moment.

From my last time playing Lost World, doesn't that also shut off other voices as well?

From what I can tell, Sonic still yelps and grunts and whatever even with the voice setting turned off. The color announcer stays active as well. Only the D6 stay silent aside from their respective boss intro/outro.

Can't really say if the voice setting has any effect on the cutscenes, however. I skipped through all of them when I replayed the game on pc. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, Clewis said:

From what I can tell, Sonic still yelps and grunts and whatever even with the voice setting turned off. The color announcer stays active as well. Only the D6 stay silent aside from their respective boss intro/outro.

Can't really say if the voice setting has any effect on the cutscenes, however. I skipped through all of them when I replayed the game on pc. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'll need to check that out myself when I re-install the game.

Oh, I didn't watch the cutscenes, I had no reason to.

• 1 month later...

I've been playing Sonic Lost World for the last 5 days. Made it to Tropical Coast and stopped right at the first act. I can't seem to enjoy this game, although I tried really hard. The word that defines my impressions is "confusing".

-Many times I want to double jump and instead do a homing attack, and viceversa. Two buttons for jumping? Well it could be ONE for jump and double jump, and the other to do the homing attack when target is locked. Would have made much more sense to me.

-I found a Red Ring by going through some hole with a wisp power. I don't know how it happened. I was just trying to understand how the power-up works and suddenly found myself in a different room with a Red Ring XD

-Also, I don't like that everytime I use a wisp, the game pauses and explains what to do. A setting to disable these explanations, or auto disabling them after the first explanation, would be really convenient.

-Hints for Red Rings locations would be cool.

-Explanations to every power-up would be cool.

-Sometimes I loose my rings and jump onto a badnick and instead of hitting it, I pass through it, and eventually I get killed for not noticing where I am.

-Spin dash is really weird.

-I get hit when I approach to a badnick while rolling. I guess that's how it's supposed to work in this game, but it's against Sonic basics, isn't it?

-Collecting Red Rings is as not funny (no, I didn't mean "not as funny") as in Generations. Too many Red Rings per act, too long acts to explore, too confusing level design to be sure you've explored the whole stage. And not to forget that sometimes you're going so fast that it's really easy to miss getting a Red Ring. Maybe some would say that's the challenge. I personally don't find it funny. I prefer Mario's approach: less collectibles, being able to repeat if you fail at getting it, etc.

-The kick is useless in my opinion. Very similar to homing attack.

-Bosses are ridiculously easy (at least the first two of them).

-Sometimes falling to the void is really easy. It's not cool at all.

-Triple jump: is it useful for anything?

-No tutorial to explain all the movements and how to access to different parts of the interface (items, challenges and map)

-On the other hand, programming a game to be framerate dependant (normal speed if at 60fps, slower if lower instead of skipping frames) is really surprising to me.

-Oh, and default pixelated graphics (both 3D models and interface images and texts) are just awful.

The good things:

-I like being able to walk and run. They should keep that for future games.

-The 2D sections are nice. I wish there was a new Sonic game based only on this kind of level.

-Graphics are beautiful as usual.

I don't know... The idea of a "Sonic Galaxy" game looked cool at first, and being able to walk looked like a nice addition, neccessary for the game but also good for any Sonic game. I kept playing until world 3 to see if the gameplay would grow on me, but Tropical Coast was the end of it. Controls are bad designed, the game lacks a small tutorial for all the abilities and power-ups (except for wisps, that launch an explanation ON EVERY USE)...

I would say Sega: next time, think a bit smaller. The game looks big, then plays bad.

Of course, this whole post should be encapsulated in a "In my opinion" statement ;)

• Thumbs Up 2

Eh, Sonic Lost World looks and plays good for me, I just can't get interested enough to last over 2 hours playing the game. I get too distracted by Generations and its mods xD

The run button was good for this game, but I don't think it would suit any other. But you do raise interesting points otherwise.

When the game came for PC I bought it. I've got five hours on record. Maybe it's because I've played the WiiU version for ages, but it just doesn't hold interest as much. I still return to it, however. Even if that's for a run or two on my favourite stages.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

The game actually has the movie files in a USM format, which can be extracted. They don't have subtitles. You know, I really wish there was an option to turn the subtitles off.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 20/4/2016 at 1:34 PM, molul said:

-Many times I want to double jump and instead do a homing attack, and viceversa. Two buttons for jumping? Well it could be ONE for jump and double jump, and the other to do the homing attack when target is locked. Would have made much more sense to me.

That's exactly how it is, actually. One of those buttons won't make you homing attack when you jump and an enemy is locked. On the X360 pad it's the B button.

-On the other hand, programming a game to be framerate dependant (normal speed if at 60fps, slower if lower instead of skipping frames) is really surprising to me.

A lot of console games are done like that, it's just a quick port.

-Oh, and default pixelated graphics (both 3D models and interface images and texts) are just awful.

There's a couple of fixes for that, you can inject AA with the Nvidia control panel, or inspector, and the AMD CCC or RadeonPro, it worked for me with both of those. You can only use FXAA with RadeonPro, so if you're on AMD you can use InjectSMAA for SMAA. I don't know about supersampling, but it's pretty easy on Nvidia!

I hope This helps you enjoy the game a little more.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you very much, but I'm afraid I already uninstalled the game :) I just didn't feel like forcing myself to like a game that I find frustrating more often than fun. Not a bad idea, but... well, I guess it's just not for me.

• Thumbs Up 3