Awoo.

Sonic Lost World heading to Steam (2 November)

Carbo

I really hope Sega gives the Wii U version an update that gives those who beat the game a cutscene menu. I found it shameful that there was no way on the Wii U version to revisit the wonderful cutscenes in HD. Watching them on Youtube, or low res on the 3ds version just isn't the same. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Thinking on it, it should be interesting to see how things are changed up both control and gameplay wise without the pad. I wouldn't be surprised if I screw things up a little with the Xbox controller...

You know, as much as I hate Lost World, I really am glad that it's making its way out of the Wii U and on PC. I know a lot of people who wanted to play the game, but just don't have a Wii U. It really shouldn't be hard to run at all, I'd fully expect even laptops with integrated graphics to be able to run it reasonably well, and it does open up further modding possibilities for those who don't want to crack open a Wii U. That said... I really do hope that Unleashed and Colors make it to Steam as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

On my end, I'm more grateful than ever for Smash 4. I'm one of those folks who bought the Wii U JUST for Lost World. I guess Smash and the Wii U is going to be my Halo and Xbox if they decide to port Rise of Lyric at some point.

...I do ponder if that Iizuka at Summer of Sonic going "the fans have spoken!" meme will get some sort of modification in light of the Lost World port, though. It sounds like there's a lot of other games that would have been preferred. :P

In fairness though, it is pretty odd that they just left this massive gap in the franchise of Steam titles between Adventure 2 and Generations, outside Japan at least.

Edited by Wendigogilvie

On my end, I'm more grateful than ever for Smash 4. I'm one of those folks who bought the Wii U JUST for Lost World. I guess Smash and the Wii U is going to be my Halo and Xbox if they decide to port Rise of Lyric at some point.

My Wii U is (mostly) a glorified Donkey Kong machine personally, but that's okay because Tropical Freeze is in the running for my personal best game ever and having the older games makes that a great library for me.

I do wonder if some of these PC ports could hit PS4 and Xbox One. Should be easy enough due to the similar architecture. Maybe not Lost World depending on the Nintendo contract, but I'd love Colors on my Xbox One, and a console version of Unleashed that actually runs well.

My main hope for Unleashed being ported is that Lost World's less than stellar performance didn't stop its porting. So even with Unleashed not faring so hot, it looks like chances are still good for it.

Was Unleashed a victim of the delisting, though? I wouldn't be surprised if it was decided to keep it from being ported if it was, as arbitrary as it seems when we see Lost World getting ported. Some sort of thing like Lost World being more representative of the newer Sonic titles, maybe?

...even though Unleashed is what gave the boost formula that was widely-beloved for a while.

My main hope for Unleashed being ported is that Lost World's less than stellar performance didn't stop its porting. So even with Unleashed not faring so hot, it looks like chances are still good for it.

Was Unleashed a victim of the delisting, though? I wouldn't be surprised if it was decided to keep it from being ported if it was, as arbitrary as it seems when we see Lost World getting ported. Some sort of thing like Lost World being more representative of the newer Sonic titles, maybe?

...even though Unleashed is what gave the boost formula that was widely-beloved for a while.

Well Unleashed is available to get on PSN so I guess SEGA are aware that Unleashed has become a fan-favorite?

Well Unleashed is available to get on PSN so I guess SEGA are aware that Unleashed has become a fan-favorite?

That solves that concern, then!

I'm guessing this is all part of the plan for the 25th. They're rolling out a ton of merchandise, a ton of Steam ports, and a 25th anniversary title that is likely to be pretty good given the dev times involved.

At least, that is my hope. I'm hoping they're not going to hinge further ports on whether or not Lost World does hot.

That solves that concern, then!

I'm guessing this is all part of the plan for the 25th. They're rolling out a ton of merchandise, a ton of Steam ports, and a 25th anniversary title that is likely to be pretty good given the dev times involved.

At least, that is my hope. I'm hoping they're not going to hinge further ports on whether or not Lost World does hot.

Well Unleashed for the PS3 has been out since April 8, 2014 so yeah, it's been around for atleast a year on PSN.

But hey, atleast it's back on PSN. :P

Unfortunately, Steam gifts are also region locked. This was done recently as a method to stop (EDIT: Not scammers) users from exploiting localized pricing (for example, Sonic Lost World is a lot less in US dollars in other Regions, due to converted currency. If no region lock was in place, then I could buy it from the region that has the cheapest price and possibly even try to resell it to others or simply enjoy the game at the low price), but I have a feeling it's done more damage than good.

Then... there is no method to buy SLW on steam in my country. oh. Sega, Did you even know that your region lock is blamed by many asiam gamers?... :(

My body is ready for the mods. And the requirements to run the game are exactly the same as Sonic Generations, which is a major relief.

Now, I hope they port other Sonic games to PS4/XOne. Also, the Vita deserves a port or two, I don't care if it's the classic games or the adventure games, anything will do. :P

You know, as much as I hate Lost World, I really am glad that it's making its way out of the Wii U and on PC. I know a lot of people who wanted to play the game, but just don't have a Wii U. It really shouldn't be hard to run at all, I'd fully expect even laptops with integrated graphics to be able to run it reasonably well, and it does open up further modding possibilities for those who don't want to crack open a Wii U. That said... I really do hope that Unleashed and Colors make it to Steam as well.

While you and many other people are hoping for that (especially the latter) I'll be hoping for 06 lol.

Also it's great that I was patient enough for this to happen haha. 

The part I feel kinda bad is that I saw playthroughs of the whole game on Youtube, since I never ever imagined it would be ported outside Nintendo, let alone freaking Steam. Could have thought PS4 and Xbox, but still... I sorta killed the surprise element :/

Wow, I think we all totally just forgot about the most obvious mod. A frggin' Classic Sonic model swap! It'd be perfect for this game. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Why do people hope that Unleashed will ever get a port for PC or modern consoles? Regardless of the mixed reception the game got from the fanbase, the overwhelming negative response from critics and reviewers pretty much ensured Sega will never bring it back.

I like the game and I'd support a re-release, but I think the chances are highly unlikely. I'm still surprised that the game was made into a PSN download last year.

Edited by McGroose

Why do people hope that Unleashed will ever get a port for PC or modern consoles? Regardless of the mixed reception the game got from the fanbase, the overwhelming negative response from critics and reviewers pretty much ensured Sega will never bring it back.

I like the game and I'd support a re-release, but I think the chances are highly unlikely. I'm still surprised that the game was made into a PSN download last year.

myU0Na0.pngTXsrcN3.png

There's uh. Not much difference in critical reception dude.

• Thumbs Up 1

People often forget that only 2 main Sonic games have negative scores. Everything else is from mixed to positive

myU0Na0.pngTXsrcN3.png

There's uh. Not much difference in critical reception dude.

Huh. I mainly had on my mind IGN, Gamespot and Eurogamer's reviews when I mentioned the game's negative reception since they're the the ones I check the most for reviews. I'm actually surprised the metacritic score is this high.

Because it's awesome enough to actually deserve a nice PC port, that's why. >(

I never said I didn't want one. :)

Edited by McGroose

The fact there's an Unleashed Project mod in the first place should heighten desire for a port, I'd think.

It shows just how nuts the fanbase is about the game if they'd actually recreate it on their own. And crazy fans = easy money.

• Thumbs Up 7

I don't like Unleashed but I'd still like to see it come to Steam merely for datamining and mods. Same for something like Sonic 2006.

Aside from some sneering, which this fanbase gets enough of anyway so it hardly matters, I don't really see the benefit to consumers not having the game(s) available on PC.

Just a guess, but it's probably less about how critics would react if they ported '06 and more about the lack of demand. I mean, I assume not many people are asking for SEGA to re-release '06. I imagine there was at least a bit more demand for LW, considering the Wii U exclusivity and it being a more recent game.

Unleashed should get a steam release for one simple reason.

The mod which will allow you to skip/removes the werehog stages will be the most downloaded mod in any Sonic game due to the fact it will make Sonic Unleashed a 9/10 experience instead of a 6/10.

• Thumbs Up 4

Assuming the port actually improves the controls of the day stages to generations' level, you mean.

• Thumbs Up 1