Awoo.

Sonic Lost World heading to Steam (2 November)

Carbo

Well, all they'd have to do is inject Sonic's parameter file from Generations into Unleashed. It'd be a very quick fix and any future Unleashed port should do this.

Well, all they'd have to do is inject Sonic's parameter file from Generations into Unleashed. It'd be a very quick fix and any future Unleashed port should do this.

If it's as simple to reverse engineer as you assume it is.

Unleashed should get a steam release for one simple reason.

The mod which will allow you to skip/removes the werehog stages will be the most downloaded mod in any Sonic game due to the fact it will make Sonic Unleashed a 9/10 experience instead of a 6/10.

Only if there was a way to change the Homing attack to be on the jump button and not the boost button. That appalling fuck up kills the Daytime Stages for me. That's to not even get into how trial-and-error reliant the game can be.

I'd probably check Unleashed out though if I could mod the controls and get rid of the Werehog and Medal Collecting.

Sorta off-topic: At least the newly announced Steam release of Lost World gave me a horrible excuse to use this image on my Facebook page, after two years of it sitting around on my computer.

sonicthelostworld530.jpg

• Thumbs Up 8

If it's as simple to reverse engineer as you assume it is.

The hackers that do it make it sound really simple, so I assume programmers at a giant video game corporation can handle it. But then this is SEGA we're talking about.

The problem is they can't just slam in a file from Generations and call it a day.

If it was something like textures then sure you might get away with that without problem but something like physics? They'd have to playtest any and all changes to make sure they haven't broken anything by fiddling with the values. It might be the case that the levels would need to be altered to accommodate Sonic's new properties.

I don't think SEGA will be wanting to do any further work to these games. I imagine they'll do their best to translate them from the console versions but I wouldn't count on actual improvements.

I think the best we'll get are improved framerates and visual options

• 2 weeks later...

This is a really great new!

I have been waiting for (new) Sonic games, being released on PC! I heard rumours about the other Sonic console hits (I guess they are Unleashed or Black Knight) will be released on PC too. I just can't wait to get them! (>O_O)>

So, am I seriously the only one who thought the werehog wasn't that bad? I mean, the tightroping sections can go fuck themselves, but otherwise? I liked the werehog. Hell, the werehog certainly had the better boss battles, the daytime bosses were awful.

Either way, I'd be looking forward to play Unleashed on the PC for improved frame-rates and resolution. Also, the game needs retexturing like... bad. It's really noticeable in the tutorial level and Chun-Nan where the grass textures look awful. That and the game runs at sub-HD, which makes rings look really yucky.

Edited by shdowhunt60
  • Thumbs Up 2

I hope that the PC version of SLW won't have Super Sonic with two mouths like the WiiU version even though he's so hilarious.

So, am I seriously the only one who thought the werehog wasn't that bad? I mean, the tightroping sections can go fuck themselves, but otherwise? I liked the werehog. Hell, the werehog certainly had the better boss battles, the daytime bosses were awful.

Either way, I'd be looking forward to play Unleashed on the PC for improved frame-rates and resolution. Also, the game needs retexturing like... bad. It's really noticeable in the tutorial level and Chun-Nan where the grass textures look awful. That and the game runs at sub-HD, which makes rings look really yucky.

image.thumb.jpg.8c69e6ec625eb71b1df89de7

Sorry. I don't think that it will happen. Thank you.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope that the PC version of SLW won't have Super Sonic with two mouths like the WiiU version even though he's so hilarious.

image.thumb.jpg.8c69e6ec625eb71b1df89de7

Sorry. I don't think that it will happen. Thank you.

Yeah, I'm gonna rate your response a 5/10
See how stupid this is?

hmm. It seems that people are using metacritic to reinforce their arguments and someone refutes this. However, metacritic is one of the good indicator to evaluate the game. Isn't it? Bunch of expert's reviews, Plenty of user ratings.

P.S I do hope that It's not off topic... :(

This is my counter argument 

M8jrhG7l.jpg

Seriously, people gotta stop using metacritic as a way to shut down any possible port.

Yeah, I'm gonna rate your response a 5/10

See how stupid this is?

Oops. I am so sorry.

hmm. It seems that people are using metacritic to reinforce their arguments and someone refutes this. However, metacritic is one of the good indicator to evaluate the game. Isn't it? Bunch of expert's reviews, Plenty of user ratings.

P.S I do hope that It's not off topic... :(

I don't know, I don't want to express anything with a single number...

I don't know, I don't want to express anything with a single number...

Oh. of course I respect your opinion :D however, I think It's true that Number is a good way to evaluate something's overall ratings (And That's why I always said that Sonic series is mostly composed with bunch of mediocre games, little Good sonic games, and bunch of bad Sonic games)

Oh. of course I respect your opinion :D however, I think It's true that Number is a good way to evaluate something's overall ratings (And That's why I always said that Sonic series is mostly composed with bunch of mediocre games, little Good sonic games, and bunch of bad Sonic games)

Then you must've dread the day that a Sonic game got a 7.99 instead of an 8

You're not completely alone.  I actually quite liked the Werehog stages as well and actually thought them to be the better part of the Wii and PS2 versions of Unleashed (granted, only because the main part, the day stages, were so bad).  What I mainly hate about the Werehog stages were the QTE's, something I don't like with any game, and the length of the levels, especially when they're stacked on one after another.  Otherwise, I thought it was an interesting enough gimmick that shouldn't have been the complete doom of the game from the outset.

Granted, I have a soft spot for games that are not "good" but not irredeemably horrible, either, so my opinion probably doesn't hold any weight in that argument.

Anyway, I don't think an Unleashed PC port is outside the realm of possibility.  I mean, it's not like Steam is reserved for AAA titles.  It actually doesn't take that much to get published on Steam.  Granted, I'm not saying go ahead and publish all your Sonic fan games on Steam and you'll be guaranteed moneys, but you certainly don't have to be a highly anticipated title or even a very good one at that.  And I sincerely do not think that going by Metacritic scores is a good way to determine what games are worthy for a Steam port.  There are plenty of bad games with a high profit margin, and they too make it on to Steam and actually sell well.

Edited by Tara
  • Thumbs Up 3

Game is unlocking in around 3 hours, I'm interested in seeing how the final game will run. If it runs fantastic, I'll actually consider getting it sooner than expected.

You're not completely alone.  I actually quite liked the Werehog stages as well and actually thought them to be the better part of the Wii and PS2 versions of Unleashed (granted, only because the main part, the day stages, were so bad).  What I mainly hate about the Werehog stages were the QTE's, something I don't like with any game, and the length of the levels, especially when they're stacked on one after another.  Otherwise, I thought it was an interesting enough gimmick that shouldn't have been the complete doom of the game from the outset.

Granted, I have a soft spot for games that are not "good" but not irredeemably horrible, either, so my opinion probably doesn't hold any weight in that argument.

Anyway, I don't think an Unleashed PC port is outside the realm of possibility.  I mean, it's not like Steam is reserved for AAA titles.  It actually doesn't take that much to get published on Steam.  Granted, I'm not saying go ahead and publish all your Sonic fan games on Steam and you'll be guaranteed moneys, but you certainly don't have to be a highly anticipated title or even a very good one at that.  And I sincerely do not think that going by Metacritic scores is a good way to determine what games are worthy for a Steam port.  There are plenty of bad games with a high profit margin, and they too make it on to Steam and actually sell well.

So you are talking about Bat Rats, right?

• Thumbs Up 1

So you are talking about Bat Rats, right?

Well, yes, that would be one. But I meant games that get 60 or lower Metacritic scores, but are still generally enjoyed by players.  Not ones that people buy expecting it to be good and then pressure the publisher into handing out refunds... twice...

Edited by Tara
  • Thumbs Up 1