Awoo.

About the "edgy" misconception

TearForFear

Your own qoute talks about having "both" consoles.......and your point has been that people cant say that they prefered one over the other because we only had one of the systems. 

... I just quoted what I said and the point, why are you trying to turn this into something else?

Here it is again.

I can certainly forge a more rounded opinion if I own both systems and play the two games in my own home in my own room. 

... I just quoted what I said and the point, why are you trying to turn this into something else?

Here it is again.

Maybe you should understand what i questioned before asking obvious things.

And you are pretty much using that one quote of yours as a saving grace. You can indeed form a more rounded opinion if you had both consoles.... but your whole point is that people that didnt have both couldnt say that they prefered one over the other. So that includes people who had friends with the opposite console. 

So I would like to know exactly what people mean when they talk about this 'edge' thing, because I swear the people talking about it don't know.

To answer your question I believe that "edgy" in this context refers to intensity. Action, excitement, suspense, thrills, spills, chills, and so on. It's about high stakes with real consequences for failure, things that would put the audience on edge.

• Thumbs Up 9

To answer your question I believe that "edgy" in this context refers to intensity. Action, excitement, suspense, thrills, spills, chills, and so on. It's about high stakes with real consequences for failure, things that would put the audience on edge.

Yes, thats definately part of what a lot of us mean when we refer to edgy.

As i mentioned earlier, sonic pushed boundries for what a cartoon animal could do. Sonics design in itself back in the day was "edgy". It wasnt the normal cutesy animal but a hedgehog with a confident smirk and a "get it done" attitude.

He featured suspense, action and everything else that you mentioned.

• Thumbs Up 2

...That's really not what "edgy" is usually used to mean when applied to a work, including in this context. It doesn't mean it leaves the audience "on edge", it means the work is supposed to be "on the cutting edge", usually in the sense of being provocative, avant-garde, trend-setting, etc.

In that case, maybe we should refer to games like Shadow as trying to be edgy...way too hard, and unsuccessfully ;P

I mean, if that's how you like to use the word "edgy" that's fine, but I don't think that's the meaning most people here are using...

• Thumbs Up 2

To me "edgy" means something thats "in". At the time when they make Shadow the Hedgehog, dark games were "in".

...That's really not what "edgy" is usually used to mean when applied to a work, including in this context. It doesn't mean it leaves the audience "on edge", it means the work is supposed to be "on the cutting edge", usually in the sense of being provocative, avant-garde, trend-setting, etc.

In that case, maybe we should refer to games like Shadow as trying to be edgy...way too hard, and unsuccessfully ;P

I mean, if that's how you like to use the word "edgy" that's fine, but I don't think that's the meaning most people here are using...

I can see where you are getting at. But let me point you to your own definition "provocative". Thats exactly what sonic was being at the time it released. This doesnt mean that people were offended, but as i have said a few times now, sonic "pushed boundries" for what a cartoon animal could do. Action filled anthromorpic characters wasnt and still isnt the norm when it comes to cartoons. That why in context, we are asking for the intensity and action.

Yes, thats definately part of what a lot of us mean when we refer to edgy.
As i mentioned earlier, sonic pushed boundries for what a cartoon animal could do. Sonics design in itself back in the day was "edgy". It wasnt the normal cutesy animal but a hedgehog with a confident smirk and a "get it done" attitude.

Man Bugs Bunny was out-edging Sonic decades before he was born...

Man Bugs Bunny was out-edging Sonic decades before he was born...

He was, so? i dont recal that to push boundries, you have to be first :/

How can you push boundaries if someone else already beat you to it?

How? well first of bugs bunny wasnt edgy in the same way that sonic was. If you want to argue being first then tmnt would be a better alternative since they have more in common.

And if something isnt accepted as normal then it is pushing boundries, regardless if another show is doing it as well. Only when something is generaly accepted does it stop being "edgy".

Considering the whole outbreak about sonic being a "kids game" after 06...i guess it pushed to far and recieved backlash.

How? well first of bugs bunny wasnt edgy in the same way that sonic was.

Yeah Bugs was actually meaner. So what boundaries was Sonic pushing by not being "cutesy" when characters like Bugs were breaking that stereotype harder, long before him, and became major cultural icons doing it?

And if something isnt accepted as normal then it is pushing boundries, regardless if another show is doing it as well. Only when something is generaly accepted does it stop being "edgy".

Shitting your pants isn't considered normal but you'd have a hard time convincing me that it's edgy to do so.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah Bugs was actually meaner. So what boundaries was Sonic pushing by not being "cutesy" when characters like Bugs were breaking that stereotype harder, long before him, and became major cultural icons doing it?

Shitting your pants isn't considered normal but you'd have a hard time convincing me that it's edgy to do so.

Sonic became even more famous than mickey mouse for awhile so i dont see where you are going with that. And being mean isnt the only way to push boundries. Your whole argument here seems to be that you have to be first in order to push boundries. I dont see how, if people dont accept it they dont accept it. Does it matter if they have seen this behaviour million times? their boundries are still being pushed.

as for that last retort, i have no real comment. thats a strawman, shitting your pants doesnt realy provoke anyone. it weirds them out. im not going to have a conversation about why shitting your pants pushed my boundries.

It's a bit of both really. Sonic is certainly no stranger to being on the cutting edge (the series was created in part to serve as a tech-demo after all) and considering the slew of imitators that followed he certainly set a trend. Even beyond that the series has a history of pushing boundaries, existing outside the norm, and just general unconventionality. Whether it was using speed as a selling point for a game in the in the slow and methodical platforming genre, or giving us a hero who would actively fight to let the world end, the franchise was almost always doing something to set itself apart from the crowd.

Edgy also has another meaning though. It also means tense, nervous, on edge, anxious, apprehensive, uneasy, unsettled, etc. This is where the idea of edginess being characterized by suspense and intensity comes from. In this sense "edgy" doesn't exactly describe the game itself but rather the feelings it inspires in its audience. In other words an "edgy movie" would make the audience feel tense, anxious, or uneasy the same way that a "sad movie" would make an audience feel sorrowful, upset, or anguished. In fact Merriam-Webster actually lists "characterized by tension" as a definition of edgy.

Boundaries don't suddenly disappear the instant someone pushes them. No goth today is pushing boundaries any less than a goth from 30 years ago for not being the first to do so.

• Thumbs Up 5

The word "edgy" has gotten tiresome to use though. Some of us barely uses it unless in instances like this. We mostly used it as a defense mechanism in the beginning to justify our taste anyway. A lot of people then started making those "ow the edge memes" so there grew a lot of misunderstandments of what the word actualy meant.

Some would take it that edgy meant "dark" and "gritty" which we have argued against. But beyond explanation and self defense, its not a word we use too much ( not speaking for every sonic adventure fan out there ).

• Thumbs Up 1

Boundaries don't suddenly disappear the instant someone pushes them. 

The same instant? Of course not. But after several decades of the character being a beloved icon, surely they must have moved. And surely enough that Sonic doesn't deserve special recognition just for being a cartoon animal that is not just cute.

The same instant? Of course not. But after several decades of the character being a beloved icon, surely they must have moved. And surely enough that Sonic doesn't deserve special recognition just for being a cartoon animal that is not just cute.

Cant say i agree considering how political correct a lot of countries are becomming. i would say that it has gotten worse which newer cartoons reflect quite well.

Boundaries aren't concrete; they're relative to the perceived meaning and abilities of the medium in question. This is why Mortal Kombat, GTA, Tomb Raider, etc. were even things to be talked about when films, books, comics, music, etc. have done far worse in terms of displaying their subject matter for years upon years beforehand. On top of that, we currently live in an era of Sonic games that are made in negative reaction to certain story tangents the series has done before, things people consider way too adult for the franchise to bear nowadays despite constant comparisons to the simple little cartoons right next door. I mean no, Sonic is not Hatred or anything of that caliber, but come on. Let's not act like he's never gotten a reactionary response from the public based upon experimentation with subject matter and tone. =/

• Thumbs Up 2

While I do agree that Sonic has a lot more energy than Mario does but I really don't think that's considered "edgy".

Sonic was always portrayed as the cocky, arrogant teenage hero but as the games progressed, Sonic became more than just your typical 90s youthful action hero, he became a lot more caring of his friends, is a lot more casual and easy-going but never did lost that rebellious nature he was most known for.

I mean, I would love to see another high-stakes action Sonic game with tensions rising all that jazz, I don't think I have ever said that I didn't. But sometimes, I don't feel like I know the characters that well in the more plot-heavy titles, SA1 did do some good with providing nice development for Tails and Amy ( I guess Gamma too but he's a one-off character) but for characters like Sonic, Knuckles and Big. I'm not given much character moments for these 3, I guess Big's an exception since he is a simple character who has a simple goal and that's all you really need to know about him so I guess that's fine. But for Sonic and Knuckles, it's quite disappointing. As much as I like seeing Sonic acting all snarky and in-your-face at Eggman, it's not a very interesting story, it does establish who Sonic is but when you look back at it, it's kind of cringe-worthy, hearing Sonic say ridiculously cheesy one-liners, it made me realize that Swifty the Shrew isn't that much different from 90s cool guys, even though he's clearly a parody character.

But SA2 did manage to create some nice depth to it even though it's probably the most action-packed and engaging story the series has to offer yet, and most of it does belong to Shadow.Shadow isn't just a "edgy" character, he's a very complex one too. I can definitely see a lot of writing potential with him, that can provide some nice political drama, conflicts and other ACTUAL mature themes. And he's one of my favorite characters in the series because of that, so yeah I'm a pretty big Shadow fan but I do adore Sonic's simplicity and down-to-earth logic more.

Shadow and 06 were pretty badly written stories even though I do liked some of the stronger character moments (in 06 atleast without being ironic) with characters like Team Dark and Silver AND Amy (surprisingly).

The Storybook series did have some substance to its plot but I don't think it's as plot heavy as games like the Adventures so it gave Shiro Maekawa (he wrote the stories for the Storybook series, right?) a lot of room to make Sonic a really good character and he did a mighty fine job doing so, Sonic in these games, wasn't full of attitude, he had a more mature and humane side to him as well while being comical and silly as well. When people say that Sonic was best written and stole the show in the Storybook games, they weren't kidding. I can safely say that Sonic was best written as an actual character in these 2 games though Sonic the Action Hero is cool too but I don't really connect to him as a character, just a guy that does awesome heroic things.

Unleashed did a good job characterizing Sonic well, even though Unleashed's plot became pretty lackluster in the middle, showing more of his humanity and mature self in the story but I feel the writer could've done so much more. Which is why I love Ian Flynn right now, what he did during the Shattered World Crisis, like how Sonic fully turned into the Werehog, how he managed to control this power and etc., it's what I really want to see happen in the actual game. It's really disappointing to see Flynn making better usage of the series' story and lore better than Sonic Team's own writers.

But to sum things up, the series has a good amount of maturity in past titles in its stories and I really appreciate the series because of it but I prefer a good mix of high-intense action and solid character moments/growth/development as well, and from what I can feel, NONE of the stories in the series' history (in terms of the games atleast) have managed to done that mix well, choosing one over the other or sometimes just doing its own thing (not that this is a bad thing).

Not sure how relevant this is to the current topic but I really wanted to say my thoughts.

Edited by Freddy Fuckboy
  • Thumbs Up 2

It's more then just the story tough, it's also presented in the gameplay, the sense of power you're given.
The fact if you play right, you can skip big chunks of platform heavy segments, that you can be Super Sonic and blast trough it all, that the (good) games gives you exploration choices but never holds a gun at your head to do your homework and FORCEFULLY explore to find all the keys to open the door.

That playing as Knuckles and Tails turn the stages upside down.
That you have a sense of acomplishment as you overcome set pieces, bring giant dangerous level hazards to their knees and watch the envirement around you morph and twist and turn depending on either Eggman's presence on the land or Sonic's actions against it are pushing the world toward the impending climax.

That energy, that excitement, that sense of being in control and empowered. That's something I also consider part of Sonic's identity and an important sub concept I connect with "edge".
Other games keep you on a tight leash and just make the hero hop trough loops in a nice carefully constructed obstacle course while Sonic hops, runs and crashes trough the stages as he damn well pleases.

People love Sonic stuff that empowers you (Shields, super Sonic, Wisps, insane set pieces, Parkours)  and hate everything that makes you do homework (Collect all medals, replay the stage with all characters, go fish with Big).
Heck, even the health system works this way, with the rings YOU'RE in control whether Sonic will survive the next blow or not.
And not some pancy "health meter" that the developers hold you hostage with.

Whenever Sega just hands you the keys to a shiny Sonic Ferrari and let's you blast trough the streets with clear directions but allowance to screw around on your own record is when Sonic scores the highest.
The faith they put in the players and the thrills you get from doing your own thing is what I consider a huge part of the Edge.

But yeah, story is relevant to.
It's story that makes sure the Ferrari we're driving is a Ferrari and not merely a bunch of metal on wheels.

Edited by Roger_van_der_weide
  • Thumbs Up 7

• 2 weeks later...

I think a large reason for this misconception is that both Sonic Adventures are melodramatic, especially Sonic Adventure 2. Look, there's no point in denying it, I still like both Adventure games but I'm happy to admit they are cheesy and melodramatic as fuck. I think people just assume that when fans clamour for the storytelling of the Adventure games then they also want the melodrama back too. This is because the melodrama was an integral part of both Adventure titles, although more so with Adventure 2.

I'd say it's Sonic Adventure 2 that really started this joke about 'ooh edge'. Shadow the Hedgehog is a really angsty character, and whilst he is better written in his original appearance and he has good characterisation he still has the 'dark goofy edginess' element to him that would get taken out of all context in later appearances. He says 'Hmph, I'm the coolest' in a really over the top and comical way when you beat him in your first boss fight with Sonic. He's constantly frowning and sighing all the time and he has that moody voice. Let's not forget that he rollerskates because that's 'cool' and 'edgy'. Shadow was a very heavy-handed way of having a dark, edgy and cool rival of Sonic.

I'm not saying this because I dislike Shadow, I thought he was awesome when I was a kid and used to play with him all the time. But I do recognise that the Adventure games genuinely have some goofy moments and I think that's why people get anxious. I'd say it's less because they soley associate Sonic Adventure fans with the (admittedly very real) parody that exists of them on the internet and more because they do not want this melodramatic aspect of the Sonic series to return.

They also just might not like the tone either. Sonic Adventure 2 in particular had themes about genocide, hate and revenge. I think there's nothing wrong with that but some might disagree.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think a large reason for this misconception is that both Sonic Adventures are melodramatic, especially Sonic Adventure 2.

Hmm, melodramatic?
Before we debate that, let's look up the meaning of the word before this becomes a pointless back and forth on people's interpretation of the word;

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/melodrama

noun

1. a dramatic form that does not observe the laws of cause and effect and that exaggerates emotion and emphasizes plot or action at the expense of characterization.
2.melodramatic behavior or events.
3.(in the 17th, 18th, and early 19th centuries) a romantic dramatic composition with music interspersed.

Well, 2's a circular explanation and the 3th a specific genre that's irrelevant, so only the first meaning is relevant:
Putting Emphasis on Action and Plot, rather then compelex characterization.
Funny, not quite the first thing coming to mind when thinking about the word melodramatic.

So exagerating spectacle and action over logic.
Preferring big explosions and larger-then-life heroes rather then considering the horrors of what truly happened.
Yeah, I guess that's what the Sonic adventures did. And that's pretty cool.

If not, then that begs the question, what's the alternative? A complex breakdown of the true horrors of GUN's actions and Station Square's body count?
Or, well, nothing happening. Complex characterization without Action or Plot.
So basically Sonic Boom Shattered Crystal's cutscenes, everyone yapping and showing off their personalities without having anything to do.

So sure, if we take the litteral meaning, I agree. Bring Melodrama back, gimme some big explosions and spectacle.

Tough that's not really what most people think about right? Angsty Shadow, sweeping dramatic music and crying emotional faces forcing the audience to feel sad and angry at something that's really silly.
So let's consider that version of melodrama.

Which first comes down to that infuriating "it's just a talking blue hedgehog frollicking in the flowers, only events amusing drooling toddlers are allowed" mindset.
If Sonic's just a Kid's cartoon not worth a complex thought, then I'm baffled why there's so many active forums with hundreds of topics debating his adventures on the internet. Everyone on this forum evidently considers Sonic worth having debates about. Well, minus trolls. So let's drop that line of thought.

Then the "how it was in the original games" line of thought. Far as I'm concerned, the original games are neutral in tone and can go both ways, so eh. Adventure games had to up the ante in some way, and they chose the teen Anime direction because that was popular at the time. Makes sense to me.
Now, let's just look at the Adventure games on face value.

I'm really against calling Shadow Emo, especially in Adventure 2.
Cheesy as Fuck? Jup, fully agree with that. But angsty? Really?
He seems like a guy on a mission to me. Usually doing his job and even occasionaly showing joy in doing it. He seems amused and excited in having a duel with Sonic in the end.
Most angst he shows is an occasional quick flashback to a traumatic memory. Sure, tough considering those usually spur him into action instead of giving up or pondering too long, that doesn't look emo to me.
Sometimes he stares in the distance during a mission. Seems more like focusing then brooding.
Even when Amy knocks his worldview upside down, he get's a new insight, changes his mind and jumps into action. Angsty?

So yeah, Melodramatic. What, exactly, are we talking about here?
I mean, Yes, there are dark themes and events happening that were, perhaps, a little too big for what needs to be in a Sonic game, but I wouldn't say the game treats those melodramatically.

E-102's sacrifice in the end is more bittersweet and feels natural enough.
The Chao massacre works more for shock factor then drama, Sonic hardly falls to his knees crying "oh the humanity".
Even Tikal quickly get's over it and takes action. If her brief moment of despair is considered melodramatic, then..Well, what's the alternative? Immediatly distract Tikal with icecream, or make her go into a comical boast about how incredible her demon sealing powers are, unleashed/ Pontaff style?

Station Square's destruction is pure spectacle.
GUN's misdeeds are barely acknowledged and mostly brushed over.
Gerald's breakdown is played more for creepy factor then any dramatic "think about it man" artsy statements.
Shadow's turn to the goodside is more optimistic Japanese moral cheese then dramatic.

The only truly "melodramatic" part is Adventure 2's ending, and I think by that point, a quiet reflection on the past events is earned. Not to mention there's plenty of brevity included from Tails/Eggman and Knuckles/ Rouge's banter.

I think the whole "over dramatic" thing mostly comes from parodies or possibly as a result when you think deeply about the events, but the games themselves play it more for Cool or cheesy optimistic then really Dramatic.
It has scenes that could inspire melodrama, yes. But doesn't. Not quite.

All that said, I do agree with you that people FEAR those games because of their perceived Melodrama.
After a while, what truly happened and what you remember happening start to differ, not to mention people have a tendey to "parodify" people or experiences they didn't like into something worse then they truly are.
Me, myself am guilty of this with the Modern Sonic games too.
If anything, it's the Fan's reaction that are melodramatic, rather then what's presented by the games themselves.
So perhaps blaming those games for INSPIRING Melodrama is closer on the nose.

So conclusion, if any, I think the tone and way of handling characters and events in the Adventure games are decent (minus the awkward pauses in Adventure 1 and horrible sound mixing in Adventure 2) but that it the games should be more careful with using dark themes.
Trying to avoid themes of genocide, at least as things that already happened rather then something for Sonic to avoid.
We do want stakes, after all.

Being cheesy as hell is a bit of a problem sometimes, indeed Shadow proclaiming himself "the coolest" is stupid.
Tough I still prefer the hell out of cheesyness over apathy.
At least cheesyness celebrates who the characters are. At least it tries to excite and bring in energy.
That's good, just something that must be handled with care.

Heck, if anything. Maybe it would help if we had BOTH the apathy and detached sarcasm from modern Sonic And the super optimstic cheese from the Adventure era and split them up equally among the cast, so we could have best of both worlds and hope they cancel each other out when one goes too far.

But melodrama? I disagree.
In fact, I think most people demanding Sonic adventure 3 don't litteraly want more "goverment killed an entire population for aliens" kind of stories. They just want that, WHEN something big happens, characters act with a little humanity and don't immediatly stumble into an awkward disingenuous stand-up-comedian act.

• Thumbs Up 6

So exagerating spectacle and action over logic.
Preferring big explosions and larger-then-life heroes rather then considering the horrors of what truly happened.
Yeah, I guess that's what the Sonic adventures did. And that's pretty cool.

I would argue that the classics did this as well, the games didnt go in detail about the horrors that was actualy taking place in the game. Examples, we know that robotnik makes robots out of animals but we dont get the full picture of how that actualy happens or what it means to sonic. We know that robotnik is polluting the enviroment and building factories, but we never get the details on exactly how this affects everyone living. What was in focus however was that sonic was the hero ready to kick some ass.

I guess we could say that sonic has always been melodramatic to some extent if we are going by this definition.

If not, then that begs the question, what's the alternative? A complex breakdown of the true horrors of GUN's actions and Station Square's body count?
Or, well, nothing happening. Complex characterization without Action or Plot.
So basically Sonic Boom Shattered Crystal's cutscenes, everyone yapping and showing off their personalities without having anything to do.

In my humble opinion, I think Sonic games should aim to go for the storytelling that Sonic CD did. Silent style cutscenes with story told through atmosphere. I'm not opposed to voice acting in Sonic games, but I really think it would be better if they went for something that was a bit more nuanced. Sonic was kind of mysterious in the older games, you could totally understand why Tails would stalk him. After Adventure, he talks all the time and the tone of the story is so melodramatic I feel he lost some of that mysterious aspect. Sonic CD always seemed like it was influenced by the Mickey Mouse silent shorts to me, which I think is fitting seeing as Sonic was so influenced by Mickey Mouse as a character. Sonic CD also didn't go for what Generations went for, the cute and cuddly Sonic. Sonic CD, despite making Sonic and Amy look cute in their designs, isn't 'cute' at all in how the characters act. You probably all know that Oshima always intended Sonic to roughly act like in his late teens.

1.jpg

In the above picture Sonic looks focused and about to tackle his next objective. He's always like this in CD, he isn't rolling about and giggling like Classic Sonic in Sonic Generations or the over the top animated hero Modern Sonic with his constant cheesy quips:

cityescape_generations1.jpg

In the end of CD when he saves Amy he rushes off, but he sincerely checks if Amy is okay before rushing off. I think Sonic is perfectly characterised here. He doesn't go into a cheesy monologue about how happy he is that she's okay and he also doesn't go to the other extreme, making a lame joke and giggling about. He just sincerely checks she's okay because he's a noble hero, before he rushes off on his next adventure (that's what Sonic does, he's a free spirit).

Amy_saved_by_Sonic_from_Little_Planet.pn

I think less is more, which is why I think the Adventure games can be really over the top and melodramatic. Now keep in mind, I'm like you, I love a bit of cheese and melodrama! I would definitely prefer something over the top than something that's stale and boring. If I had a choice between the cheesy way Sonic talks to his friends in Adventure or the sterile jokes in Generations I would pick the 'ooh edge'. But I'd rather not have the choice between those two, I'd rather have what they went for in CD.

Oh, and I love the way Sonic has that perfect mixture of being cocky and knowing when to take things seriously. When he's fighting normal badniks he just mocks them because he knows he's much more powerful.

Sonicrhinobeetlesmall_zps2540dc77.png

But when he's racing against Metal Sonic and looking up at Little Planet to try to save Amy and stop Eggman he isn't cracking jokes and goofing about. He's serious because he knows he can't just mess about, he has to take things seriously or he knows he will lose. It's the perfect mixture of serious/comedy, not the over the top melodrama of Adventure and not the ridiculous joke-fest Sonic became Post-Colours. Man, I love the characterisation in the snippets we get in Sonic CD!

And God no, please don't give me another story like Shattered Crystal :P

Edited by Regen
  • Thumbs Up 4

In the end of CD when he saves Amy he rushes off, but he sincerely checks if Amy is okay before rushing off. I think Sonic is perfectly characterised here. He doesn't go into a cheesy monologue about how happy he is that she's okay and he also doesn't go to the other extreme, making a lame joke and giggling about. He just sincerely checks she's okay because he's a noble hero, before he rushes off on his next adventure (that's what Sonic does, he's a free spirit).

Amy_saved_by_Sonic_from_Little_Planet.pn

I think less is more, which is why I think the Adventure games can be really over the top and melodramatic. 

You are talking about atmosphere here. This is a problem i see with a lot of games nowadays and not just sonic. Not every cutscene needs monolougue. some are more beneficial to have the characters be quite in order for the audience to soak in expressions and complicated emotions.

This is not about less being more since voice acting in itself isnt the problem. Its about knowing when silence is more powerful than words.