Awoo.

About the "edgy" misconception

TearForFear

You are talking about atmosphere here. This is a problem i see with a lot of games nowadays and not just sonic. Not every cutscene needs monolougue. some are more beneficial to have the characters be quite in order for the audience to soak in expressions and complicated emotions.

This is not about less being more since voice acting in itself isnt the problem. Its about knowing when silence is more powerful than words.

That's what I was trying to get at :P .

Sometimes a silent cutscene with sufficient facial expressions can carry more than words. Another good example from a game that does have voice acting is Shenmue 2 (and pretty cringey voice acting like Sonic Adventure). 

Xuiying

The game has amazing moments where the characters don't speak and convey emotion through facial expressions. Here Xuiying is worried about Ryo leaving and she doesn't need to go off on a monologue about why Ryo shouldn't go, she just looks at him with anxious wisdom as he leaves. I don't think it's just a matter of atmosphere though, characterisation is also tied into it. We learn a lot about Xuiying in this specific moment and she doesn't even say anything.

Honestly, I don't get "worried" from that expression so much as "blank, vaguely angry-looking stare".

Honestly, I don't get "worried" from that expression so much as "blank, vaguely angry-looking stare".

It honestly works way better in the cutscene with the proceeding scene and ambience music. When I copied over the still image I realised it didn't work as well as seeing it in motion. But I thought 'damn it I'll link it anyway' :P

The cutscene is here if you are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItuH38x5Bfc&ab_channel=ShenmueDojo