Awoo.

Do you think Sally should have been/should be killed off?

Miko

I honestly think Yardley Sally looks a lot like a boy. Not a good or a bad thing to me, just kind of strange. Maybe she was retconed slightly to being more like her original "Ricky the squirrel" self.

The point was, SHE gets oversexualised and the FANS know it and catter to that.

My point to you on that aspect was along the lines of rule 34(-ish). Regardless of how oversexualized she looks, any fan will take any trait they have a fetish for and will showcase it.

You're still telling me the same thing I already knew. But what was concerning me before you came along was something specifically from Gabz on how the idealized feminine features make a character such as Sally look "slutty", something which I didn't think fit much of the bill for Sally despite her curvy appearance. But she explained that, and even though I still don't see it that way I still got an explanation from her.

Proof is what they look for in deviantart for example. A search in google gives the exact same results. I said no such thing about the other female characters not suffering the same fate, they do.

I know you didn't. I did, because I already know what a lot of the folks on Deviantart making the images has on their mind. Anyone who looks on DA already knows that stuff, it's nothing new.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I haven't read the comics because I can't find them, but I have read as many summaries as I could find, and here are my thoughts:

Sally Acorn is the most inconsistent character in the series. She has been redesigned so many times that some versions are only linked by name. A character like that is always doomed to fail, and probably should have been killed long ago. Plus, like what has already been said, she's just being shoehorned in at this point. Besides, Sonic DOES NOT need to be royalty, he's a free spirit, he wouldn't like being king (and might not make a good one... *waits to get bashed*).

But I don't think SonAmy should be introduced either. Amy's just a fangirl. In my opinion, she has barely enough brainpower to speak coherently. (Though I am speaking from a game viewpoint, feel free to bash me with a wet noodle if I am way off my mark) In my ideal setting, Sonic would be single or would very slowly edge towards a relationship, hopefully not with Amy, but I might be able to live with that...

She has been redesigned so many times that some versions are only linked by name. A character like that is always doomed to fail

I don't think it was the redesign that killed her concept so much as the fact it was wrapped around her being a Uber-Sue that constantly had to contort the story or in some cases her own personality to continue having a place.

...I swear, Archie's given this girl the powers of Haruhi Suzumiya, only she's not funny, (I could see if she was a Parody Sue, but she isn't) and has the reception of Lana Lang from Smallville. The writers are fans of her and therefore keep shoe-horning this character in the stories despite the fact majority of the fanbase is either apathetic or already hating her.

Edited by Picchi

Sally is the main reason I can't read the comics. She's far too in your face IMO, being everywhere. Even the alternate universe storyline where her and Sonic are married makes me feel like I'm being force fed this couple against my will.

In terms of the official Sega characters, they barely get a word in edge ways because Sally's hogging all the Sonic. Basically everyone from Amy to Tails are thrown in the background as Sonic worshippers kissing the ground he walks on while Sally, Bunnie and co. get most of the glory.

To be fair I liked Sally in SatAM but couldn't stand her in the comics because of her holier than thou attitude. She was bossy, controlling and very dominating over Sonic, holding him down in Knothole rather than letting him be free like he should be. In short she resembles a nagging wife.

I don't see her ever being killed off but I wouldn't care if she was.

Edited by CreamyBagel

I think a lot of the problem with Archie is that concepts from SatAM tended to exaggerated once they made it to the comics.^_^;;

In terms of the official Sega characters, they barely get a word in edge ways because Sally's hogging all the Sonic. Basically everyone from Amy to Tails are thrown in the background as Sonic worshippers kissing the ground he walks on while Sally, Bunnie and co. get most of the glory.

I'd go as far as to say that Sally is the only original FF Sonic actually cares about. The others are just canon fodder and are probably just as worthless to Sonic as everybody else.

I'd go as far as to say that Sally is the only original FF Sonic actually cares about. The others are just canon fodder and are probably just as worthless to Sonic as everybody else.

Well, I suppose you could make a case for Sally being the one he cares about the most, but I wouldn't think that he doesn't care about the others at all. I can't see Sonic being happy if Tails were to just spontaneously keel over and die one day.

I'm sure they'd write in Sonic being unhappy over Tails' death, but I'd have no reason to beleive it would throw a wrench in Sonic's life. Mostly because Tails doesn't really do anything to make Sonic's life more functional presently.

He's Sonic's best friend (along with Sally). Sonic would be devastated! From the looks of the next few previews, Sonic and Tails are going to be working as a tag-team again, so hopefully we'll be reminded of how well they work together and the bond they have as close friends.

I think it's very unfair to say that Sonic considers his friends to be 'cannon fodder' and 'worthless'. He's not that kind of guy. He can be arrogant sometimes and even selfish, but he also cares deeply for his friends. He risks his life endlessly for them. He wouldn't bother to do that if they were worthless in his view.

Think about the situation he was in when three of his friends were 'posessed' by Mammoth Mogul and sent off in all different directions to their deaths. Did Sonic consider them cannon fodder and worthless then? Of course not.

He's Sonic's best friend (along with Sally).

I've acknowledged Sonic's given him that title once but there's no substance in the relationship to deem it true.

I think it's very unfair to say that Sonic considers his friends to be 'cannon fodder' and 'worthless'. He's not that kind of guy.

Everyone is this kind of person.

He risks his life endlessly for them.

he risks his life for people he doesn't know.

Think about the situation he was in when three of his friends were 'posessed' by Mammoth Mogul and sent off in all different directions to their deaths. Did Sonic consider them cannon fodder and worthless then? Of course not.

Maybe he was written to care about them, but there's really no basis for him to care. Kind of like how many aspects of the book are written in when the plot demands.

I've acknowledged Sonic's given him that title once but there's no substance in the relationship to deem it true.

They are a fantastic tag team who work together amazingly, seemingly able to anticipate each other's every move. they have a relationship that is both brotherly and a working partnership when fighting alongside each other.

Everyone is this kind of person.

I don't understand what you mean by that at all.

he risks his life for people he doesn't know.

Yes, but the point is that if he considered them to be worthless and cannon-fodder, he would not do this.

Maybe he was written to care about them, but there's really no basis for him to care. Kind of like how many aspects of the book are written in when the plot demands.

If he was written to care about them, then he cares about them. What's written is all that exists, after all. If you admit he was written to care about them, then you've just completely nulled your claim that he thinks they're worthless cannon fodder.

I think it's a fallacy to assume that, just because the characters aren't constantly stating in words that they care about each other, that they are all soulless zombies who lack emotion. I can see how one would get that impression, given that Archie's writing has always been kinda awkward since it debuted way back in the 90's, but just because something is subtly implied rather than being outright stated, it doesn't mean it's not there.

I'll agree that Sonic and Tails' relationship could be treated better, and I don't like how Sonic and Sally's friendship takes precedence over it. Ideally, I'd like all three characters to have equal screen time together. But I don't feel that Sonic and Tails' friendship being mishandled means it isn't there at all, or that Sonic would wouldn't care longer than a day if Tails suddenly exploded.

But I don't feel that Sonic and Tails' friendship being mishandled means it isn't there at all, or that Sonic would wouldn't care longer than a day if Tails suddenly exploded.

LOL. I'm sorry, but as tragic as it would be, the idea of Tails spontanously exploding right in front of Sonic just makes me laugh.

"So, li'l buddy, what do you think we sh--" *BOOM!* ... "--?! Tails? TAILS?! ... Um. Oh well. Where's Sal?"

LOL. I'm sorry, but as tragic as it would be, the idea of Tails spontanously exploding right in front of Sonic just makes me laugh.

"So, li'l buddy, what do you think we sh--" *BOOM!* ... "--?! Tails? TAILS?! ... Um. Oh well. Where's Sal?"

XD

Maybe Tails has actually died several times, and each time it happens, Merlin Prower poofs out a new one. :lol:

Sure the friendship between Sonic and Tails isn't that close in the comic, but does Sonic and Knuckles even have a friendship in it? I mean, in the games, Knuckles is certainly one of Sonic's closest buddies (probably second only to Tails and perhaps Amy), and any "rivalry" between them is strictly confined to being mentioned in character profiles these days.

Which makes me kinda sad because I loved when Knuckles was always trying to smash Sonic's face in XD

Which makes me kinda sad because I loved when Knuckles was always trying to smash Sonic's face in XD

The Super Sonic vs. Hyper Knuckles was fun for the that reason, in my opinion.^_^

I'll agree that Sonic and Tails' relationship could be treated better, and I don't like how Sonic and Sally's friendship takes precedence over it. Ideally, I'd like all three characters to have equal screen time together. But I don't feel that Sonic and Tails' friendship being mishandled means it isn't there at all, or that Sonic would wouldn't care longer than a day if Tails suddenly exploded.

Quite frankly, I always wondered why people care about a character who was never in the games when pitched with Tails of all of them. I could understand if Sally was beneath Tails. I cannot understand how people accept her being higher or even at the same height of importance. Tails and Sonic were supposed to be best friends in the first place. How could DIC get it so right with AOSTH and so wrong with SatAM is beyond me.

I never said he wouldn't care if he exploded, that was another poster.

He could still want to smash his head in even if they were friends. I don't see why not.

He could still want to smash his head in even if they were friends. I don't see why not.

Oh, I don't disagree at all! My favourite dynamic for Knuckles and Sonic is one where there's mutual respect and a begrudging but deeply genuine friendship... but also an explosive rivalry. I don't like when they're too pally pally with each other without enough of the flip side, that's all.

I confess that I actually...don't like Sonic or Sally (More of a Knuckles and Julie-Su person, even if Knux is MINE!!<3), but I think Sally needs to stay for some reason. Maybe it's because she's been there since the start and a lot of people like her(In both the comics and real life), so I wouldn't want to see them unhappy.

Super :lol: Lombax

Quite frankly, I always wondered why people care about a character who was never in the games when pitched with Tails of all of them. I could understand if Sally was beneath Tails. I cannot understand how people accept her being higher or even at the same height of importance. Tails and Sonic were supposed to be best friends in the first place. How could DIC get it so right with AOSTH and so wrong with SatAM is beyond me.

Well, for me at least, the very fact that Adventures exists is the reason I don't mind the whole Sally dominance thing as much as I might. If I want to see lots of Sally, I watch SatAM, if I want to see lots of Tails, I watch Adventures. It's not an either/or question for me. ;)