Awoo.

Best & worst alternate gameplay styles

Monkey Destruction Switch

I wouldn't mind Tails having the style of gameplay he had from Adventure next time he's playable. Also wouldn't mind another boosting game. Playing Sonic that way was fun!

• 3 weeks later...

Flame me all you want but I thought alternate gameplay styles were a great idea since most of them had very unique gameplay and concepts that went perfectly with the characters you were playing as. They weren't terrible, just poorly executed. Here's the ones I enjoyed.

Treasure Hunting: It usually takes me a while to find the emeralds but I had a fun time playing these and the concept was very unique because it's something you'd never find a another game and the exploring/combat/all range type gameplay was a good fit for Knuckles and Rouge to a lesser extent.

Shooting: I really loved Gamma, Tails, and Eggman's levels. They're just so freaking addicting and fun because of many targets you could shoot at once making the level progressing fairly easy. It's a bit slow and clunky sure but you are controlling a a big mech/robot so it's a bit fitting.

Now here's the ones I didn't enjoy.

Amy: It's got decent platforming and puzzle type gameplay but it can be pretty annoying to deal with her slow paced speed and ZERO being a nuisance who is always distracting you and preventing you from moving on but that's the point of Amy's story of ZERO chasing. Amy would've more fun to play as if she wasn't so dang slow and had a more combative hammer based move set.

Fishing: Haters gonna hate but I'll admit, Big's levels were terrible but  not because "durr hurr feeshing in a sanik game?! ruined fureva! but because of the way it was handled, it was very difficult looking for Froggy who could literally been anywhere in the levels and don't even get me started on the controls. I don't understand why Sonic Team designed the controls to be so fustrating and hard to use when you could of simplified them to get the the frog and call it day, heck why not just have Big go through a big platforming section where he can use  his fishing rod as a sword like weapon and then hold the b button to simply catch Froggy in the end.

Silver: Look, just because it's a Sonic game doesn't mean everyone has to go fast because guess what? they're not Sonic! Silver's gameplay in 06 was rather mediocre in my opinion. I agree with you though,he was very slow and his attacks were so bad that you couldn't hurt enemies without relying on the whole controlling objects with your mind gimmick which was kind of bad idea even on its own but I believe Silver's gameplay could've been handled better if he was capable of using dbz-esque ki blasts he could've used to fight on his own, it's a stretch sure but it's better than throwing crap around. Silver's gameplay had a great concept, just designed poorly.

So overall, I'm fine with S3&K type characters sharing the same basic high speed platforming gameplay and different abilities but alternate character gameplay in my opinion was a good idea that was executed badly and stop acting like it's taking away Sonic's gameplay because it's not. Look I get it, you play Sonic games for Sonic gameplay, and I'm not saying alternative gameplay styles should return ( unless it's necessary) I just want to discuss my thoughts about it in it's defense.

( take a drink for every time I say the word gameplay)

Edited by Dan-Dude
  • Thumbs Up 1