Awoo.

How characters can fight the true final boss (a idea) READ POST #27

Rey Skywalker-Ren

I thought of a new way the other characters can have a chance at fighting the final boss.

When Super Sonic he fights the final final bosses are flying. Also there is a cool thing in Sonic 3 where Tails carries Sonic and he fights a flying boss.

Well... what IF,,, Super Sonic carries the character and they fight the final boss by jumping off and then Sonic catches them and repeat?! That way your favorite characters can still fight the final final boss and it shows also lights on Sonic to as being a helpful friend. 

What do you think?

Edited by Sonikku Miya

Or we could just have them fight the final boss as normal without needing another character's aid when you select them.

Though using the abilities of the characters you don't play as (i.e. Tails' flight) like they did in Sonic 3 is a pretty neat idea.

Edited by Spooky Scary Skeletaras
  • Thumbs Up 2

I don't want other characters fighting the final boss with me. I just want to fight the final boss one on one.

I don't need to call for help when I fight senator Armstrong, or the monsters in Bloodborne (Well I can but I dont), so... why would I want that with Sonic?

• Thumbs Up 2

Alternatively we could just do what Heroes did and have the non-super characters (Amy, Rouge, Omega, etc.) fight the final boss to buy time and/or serve as decoys for the super characters (Sonic, Shadow, Knuckles, etc.) or one of the many other possibilities that don't involve reducing the other characters to glorified projectiles.

Edited by Bowbowis
  • Thumbs Up 2

I will say, me personal I am not bothered for not having many furry butts butting into my battles. But I made this idea as a way the fans of other characters can be happy and actually Im OK with this idea. That way your character fights and Sonic just holds on to them.

Edited by Sonikku/

No, I'm not with this because this doesn't sound like the characters are really working together. And Super Sonic seems like a pointless addition if I can play as the other characters and attack the final boss normally.

I'd prefer to find a way for characters to actually work with Sonic. SA2 had Super Sonic and Super Shadow switch out, and Rush had Super Sonic and Burning Blaze switch. Heroes let everyone have a shot at Metal Sonic and buy time for Team Sonic. Rush Adventure had Super Sonic and Burning Blaze help each other out by having Sonic deflect the Egg Wizard's blasts back at it and Blaze firing on it when it's wide open.

If we're going to have the option of playing as a character other than Sonic, I want them to show their own strengths rather than rely on Sonic as an assist character (or vice versa, just to be fair here). If we're going to have multiple characters, I want to see how they work with Sonic. Both Sonic and his partner's abilities should complement each other and given them both a fair showing. Personally, I think Rush Adventure did it well in that regard with both Supers doing something unique to them that helps the other. Alternatively, I'm fine with a solo Sonic final battle if the characters have been doing something to help him beforehand, such as in Heroes or even SA2 when they all worked their way through the Cannon Core. Basically, anything that Generations didn't do.

I don't know about the supporting characters, but I always thought the Super Sonic battles should play like Panzer Dragoon game, with Super Sonic shooting blue lasers.

• Thumbs Up 1

I will say, me personal I am not bothered for many furry butts butting into my battles. But I made this idea as a way the fans of other characters can be happy and actually Im OK with this idea. That way your character fights and Sonic just holds on to them.

Rule of Thumb: If your proposed role for a character could just as easily be filled by a sufficiently large rock then your idea is probably not going to please fans of that character. To wit: Imagine the same final boss scenario you presented above, but with Super Shadow carrying Sonic and throwing him at the boss instead of the other way around. As a fan of Sonic would you be happy with that setup? Or would you be displeased with just how meaningless his role is?

• Thumbs Up 4

Rule of Thumb: If your proposed role for a character could just as easily be filled by a sufficiently large rock then your idea is probably not going to please fans of that character. To wit: Imagine the same final boss scenario you presented above, but with Super Shadow carrying Sonic and throwing him at the boss instead of the other way around. As a fan of Sonic would you be happy with that setup? Or would you be displeased with just how meaningless his role is?

Okay now I see the flaw in my idea. It does make them seem like rocks to throw at the enimies. I wouldn't want it for Sonic and I'm sure no one wants that for their favorite characters.

I'm sure there's a way to set it up where Sonic and friends are working together to take down a massive enemy. There's strength in numbers after all, and having Tails and Knuckles close by could open up opportunities for cool cinematic combo moves. 

• Thumbs Up 7

Just go the Lost World/Sonic 4/Colours route and have it so Super Sonic isn't necessary to beat the last boss, so any character can fight it.  Honestly Super Sonic is a little overdone, and I'm hoping they keep up this trend of using him only sparingly, so his absence on the final boss will become the norm and it'll no longer feel "lesser" for a final boss to actually do the unthinkable and play like the rest of the game as a proper final exam for the player, lol.

• Thumbs Up 8

I wanna chime in and agree with you on that

I feel like Super Sonic finales should be reserved for, say, major anniversary games or some other large "Big Damn Sonic Game" setup. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Rule of Thumb: If your proposed role for a character could just as easily be filled by a sufficiently large rock then your idea is probably not going to please fans of that character.

I dunno, I thought Nonaggression was pretty cool.

• Thumbs Up 7

I dunno, I thought Nonaggression was pretty cool.

I agree, but I think the context that this was a game based on duo-character interaction, coupled with the fact that it was a cool twist that for the finale you were teamed-up with Eggman himself, is important for it's justification.  Doing this in a game where you otherwise played solo might've been a bit odd.

• Thumbs Up 3

I am pretty sure that I would be 100%* okay with a solo-Sonic game that ended with you pummeling the final boss with Eggman. Or any other character that would be sufficiently amusing to kick around (Knuckles, Shadow, Silver...).

*okay 99% because I'm still burnt out on non-Eggman final bosses

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm sure there's a way to set it up where Sonic and friends are working together to take down a massive enemy. There's strength in numbers after all, and having Tails and Knuckles close by could open up opportunities for cool cinematic combo moves. 

Am I the only one getting a Sonic Heroes vibe from that?

Anyway, that idea sounds cool and showcases the "real superpower of teamwork"

• Thumbs Up 1

I am pretty sure that I would be 100%* okay with a solo-Sonic game that ended with you pummeling the final boss with Eggman. Or any other character that would be sufficiently amusing to kick around (Knuckles, Shadow, Silver...).

*okay 99% because I'm still burnt out on non-Eggman final bosses

I'm a fan of Knuckles and Silver but THIS!

i would love the kill the final bosses with McNosehair :D like a Cheese moment from Sonic shitvance 2. Remember that?

Edited by Sonikku/

I can't really get behind this because it doesn't make any sense. It's logical that if Tails is flying that Sonic can jump and attack Eggman because Tails can't fly and attack. Super Sonic well, can. Why would Super Sonic have one of his friends jump off and attack when he could just charge into Eggman himself?

Super Sonic being used as a glorified surfboard doesn't really strike me as a great role for the main character in a final boss battle.  It's been discussed above that this idea rather downgrades Sonic's friends somewhat, but I don't think it does Sonic any favours either.

If it's a game with only two or three other playable characters besides Sonic, you could have interludes in the battle where each of them has to tackle some ground-based threat by the final boss, and that damage leaves the boss wide open to Super Sonic.  I'm thinking something a bit like the sequences in the Unleashed final boss where regular Sonic zooms along a racecourse and then fires off and hits Dark Gaia.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just go the Lost World/Sonic 4/Colours route and have it so Super Sonic isn't necessary to beat the last boss, so any character can fight it.  Honestly Super Sonic is a little overdone, and I'm hoping they keep up this trend of using him only sparingly, so his absence on the final boss will become the norm and it'll no longer feel "lesser" for a final boss to actually do the unthinkable and play like the rest of the game as a proper final exam for the player, lol.

Agreed.

And I personally like to say I'm not a big fan of Super Sonic myself. I kinda only like it as a extra little bonus reward for collecting all the stuff or whatever in the game... not as a forced alternate awkwardly made play-style and cheesy story moment for the last bit of the game. Playing as normal Sonic or any other character for the last boss is much more intense to me and fun... as long the battle isn't lazy or sometime... and it fixes any problem of making other characters strong enough to take it on if the game has multiple playable characters.

To add to this, you could have it where turning Super during the final boss affects the fight. For example, Eggman's final mech can be fought by anyone, but it could have an "overdrive" that makes it faster and harder to hit/avoid if you turn Super. Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk
  • Thumbs Up 1

A projectile character (such as Sticks) might have an edge over others with their projectile attack being able to be used to damage from afar with less risk of damage.

I believe the approach of different characters going after different parts of the enemy is more compelling.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't want other characters fighting the final boss with me. I just want to fight the final boss one on one.

But don't you remember what help the other characters were in Generations' final boss? c;

• Thumbs Up 1

Super Sonic being used as a glorified surfboard doesn't really strike me as a great role for the main character in a final boss battle.  It's been discussed above that this idea rather downgrades Sonic's friends somewhat, but I don't think it does Sonic any favours either.

If it's a game with only two or three other playable characters besides Sonic, you could have interludes in the battle where each of them has to tackle some ground-based threat by the final boss, and that damage leaves the boss wide open to Super Sonic.  I'm thinking something a bit like the sequences in the Unleashed final boss where regular Sonic zooms along a racecourse and then fires off and hits Dark Gaia.

I'm kinda surprised nobody's really jumped on this idea yet. I was personally thinking something along the lines of regular Sonic's segments during the Dark Gaia fight in Unleashed, but with the alternate character. That could still serve as "final exam" type segments for the alternate characters, having to utilize their specific powers to overcome their own mini-segments. Idk, something like a segment that would test Tails' flying skills or Knuckles' climbing, gliding, and digging (maybe Knuckles' dig becomes the game's equivalent of the drill Wisp or something.) Just throwing ideas out there.

• Thumbs Up 3