Awoo.

The Sonic Origins Project Updated:12/19/15

Crim Da

Wow, that's really cool! I can see you're putting a lot of effort into this project!

I'm also loving those animations, they look very smooth!

Looking forward to seeing it when it's completed, keep it up! :D

I like those animations; even in rough form, they're looking good!

Best of luck with the game! I'll definitely look into giving it a shot.

Wow, this looks pretty neat! I'm a big fan of the Archie series, so this has my interest piqued, and the Sonic animations look very nice.

Do you have any more artwork/assets of Wood Zone? It'd be great to see what the environment looks like, but I do like the colors and what I could see from the preview.

Do you have any more artwork/assets of Wood Zone? It'd be great to see what the environment looks like, but I do like the colors and what I could see from the preview.

Hmm. I don't have anything colored like in the preview yet. What I have onhand right now are just level layout charts and some very early proof-of-concept type things.

photo-1-1024x432.jpg

This is part of what I had concepted for the first part of Zone 1. So there are three pathways, as usual, the high path, normal path, and an underground pathway. On the higher pathway, players can go through trees/fauna/etc and on the lower pathways it's much more emphasis on swinging around on vines. Or you could just boss right through it if you want.

latest?cb=20131031102335

This is the image I've been trying to model from, except on a 2D sidescrolling scale instead of this perspective. Right where Sonic and Tails are in this image is approximately the starting point of the level. Of course, since there's no art spanning the entire Wood Zone I've taken lots of liberties. 

woodzone.png

This was the first proof of concept that I did waaaay back when I was first starting to toy around with the sprites. It's not going to look much like this in final (I'm not fond of the colors here.) I wanted to get an idea for scaling and just see what it would look like. But since doing this I settled on another color palette and I'm going more for lighter colors/blues/greens with red/orange/purple accents ..and a lot less gray. (So in other words, a little more like the reference but with a lot more little bits of color.) I will be putting together some more concept art for it soon so that people can take a looksee.

• Thumbs Up 5

The animation is absolutely amazing and the level layout looks like a blast to explore. I'm looking forward to seeing this stuff in-game!

Thanks, everyone.

Smallish update, but I've added a few new animations and have some more art.

tostop256.gifrunexhibi256.gifaatk256.gifpopup2562.gif

I know the last one has been seen already, but I edited the animation to have more height to it compared to the last one..  Some of these are missing some frames and transitions, but hey! They're rough animations.

I've also got a could of still art since I was practicing drawing characters on model for when these get cleaned up. (I need to practice Sally a lot.. /whine)

sally.pngsanic.pngbadniks.png

And lastly.. I went through and drew a level map for the Wood Zone: Act 1. This has the approximate layout, ring placement, item placement, enemy placement, and pathway navigation. It's approximate but it gives me a good idea of what to place where. It'll come down to final testing whether I want to keep/add/take things away.  The map IS huge, so you'll probably need to open it in a browser to be able to make it all out (If you're so inclined).

woodzone.png

Edited by Adlivun
  • Thumbs Up 2

Aaaand have a zone 2 map, complete with Boss concept. I wonder if minibosses should be a thing...

woodzone2.png

robot.png

The next update should either be more animations or an actual level screenshot.

Edited by Adlivun
  • Thumbs Up 1

Looks like a lot of effort is being put into this project. Everything seems great :) I can't wait to see what becomes of this project.

Thanks! I'm trying what I can!

584a5HjcXpNuhIbFhOVtj9.gif

Have a snap of the main menu. There should be an emblem instead of the logo there when it's finished.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update. I've been working on the level layout and camera. I figured getting all the level worked out should be my next step. Today I did my first camera test. There's still things that need fixing, but hey, stuff moves.

6HJ3ZiLKVy4uofkxYBgUzi.jpg    57ZmCqmgsPE9pZ37EMsuwK.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...