Awoo.

Sega apologises to fans (hints at a old styled Sonic game?)

Rey Skywalker-Ren

So heres the article everyones talking about: http://www.tssznews.com/2015/10/26/sega-europe-new-sonic-games-to-be-more-inspired-by-how-it-played-in-heyday/

Rooke explains: “Sega has publicly apologised to the fans as the quality of console games in the Sonic franchise hasn’t been acceptable over recent years. It’s been tough translating that iconic side scrolling 2D experience from the 90s into 3D but Sonic is still huge for us so the new games will be more inspired by how it played in its heyday.”

My opinion? Im not gonna lie I dont know but I am someone who hates the old style games. I never grew up with them and when I play them its different. So if Sonic 5 or whatever is gonna be like that then I know I will hate it. However I understand for those who grew up with the series its different and I respect that. I try to like the classic Sonic games I try to like them but I just dont. I don't. 

I'm OK with the classic styled games, but I really don't see them doing well in that anymore. As soon as you go 3D you can't go back xD OK, just kidding.

I seriously have no problem with the 3D games and I usually enjoy them... somewhat.

And their marketing was horrible, I only found out about it on Twitter and here.

Honestly I don't care what their excuse is as long as this means they're phasing the Boom games out. Is it wrong that I'm honestly worried that they specifically call out the classic games, though? Every time to memory they've said that it either turned out to be shallow pandering (Both Sonic 4s, and to a lesser extent Generations) or flat out missed the point entirely (this honest to god happened with Sonic '06 by claiming it was a return to Sonic's roots).

I feel like their best bet is not to emulate the styles of old, but simply adopt some gameplay traits that are evocative enough of them that they aren't jarring by comparison. The two big ones are slope physics and conservation of momentum - the former can admittedly be kind of difficult, but to this day I still can't understand why Sega has so fucking much trouble with the latter when it should frankly be a default property of platformers anyway.

• Thumbs Up 5

Going to cut this short as I'm heading off to bed now;

Apology accepted, I don't believe you, and just make a great game again already. 

Im honestly scared they are gonna make this boring old styled game. Whats wrong with the newers games? :-/

Stop apologizing and just create a good Sonic game already, damn it.

I don't need a trailer of the newest game yet, just say a few tidbits about the game now and then to let us interpret the quality of it. Saying that it's going to be based off of the old gameplay style really doesn't mean jackshit to me anymore considering how many times they've messed that up.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I really just don't care about talk anymore. Not that I would expect them to go full radio silence, and not that I think it would be a good move if they did...the series is simply beyond the point where words can fix anything. They've played the same card too often.

Hm, I'm imagining the greatest tragedy: What if they actually make a good Sonic game...but there's no one left to notice.

• Thumbs Up 7

Oh look, its another statement filled with buzzwords. They haven't done this before at all. oh wait :\

I'm sorry for sounding so cynical, but they're so full of shit at this point, its honestly sad. The fact that they have to keep saying things like this just shows how fucked they are, empty promises and whatnot. If they cared about the quality of their product, then Boom wouldn't have been a pile of shit. So as far as I'm concerned, this is just them talking out of their ass.

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly, they just sound like a broken record at this point. I don't want to see anymore heavy reliance on nostalgia.

How many times have they apologized before running circles around these statements? I've lost count.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Also what is a good Sonic game is to interpetations. I do feel some fans are kinfa ungreateful. What does count as a good Sonic game?

Oh please, they fed us this line five years ago with Sonic 4. They went as far as delisting anything that didn't have a high score on Metacritic. What's changed?

I don't care what SEGA/Sonic Team makes, I just want to see some damn effort for a change. They can make a good Sonic game, they've done it before. Even the recent games have their moments (uh, I like Lost World's gameplay). But the second some complaints about some aspect pops up, the whole thing gets trashed instead of fixed. The only exception has been the boost gameplay--and I'm not too into that to return. I worry the upcoming anniversary is going to be another nostalgia pandering trip, and given their recent efforts, they haven't given me reason to think otherwise.  I'll cross my fingers and see what happens, I suppose. I just hope they're actually looking at their library and trying to actually find what works both in 3D and 2D.

Edited by Zaysho

... Oy, doggone it, Sega!

For once, can I please get a great, new Sonic game that is not a constant Classic Sonic throwback? Just clinging to the past do tightly is just really meh, if you ask me!

Thank. you.

If you wanna go to the past play the older games. They shouldnt be making games as a throwback all the time

• Thumbs Up 2

Like, this again? Ugh. I'm fine with classic games, no one loves 2D platformers more than I do. I just think that ST doesn't need to focus on this, when they are clearly finding their feet with 3D games again (Unleashed, Colors, Gens). Sure Lost World wasn't the bomb, but at least they did something that felt Sonic, unlike certain past experiments. If they were more ambitious, LW could've been way better. They just scratched the surface with the parkour. The art was definitely inspired by classic games, but it keeps showing how ST can't be ambitious even in that department... I believe in them. To not make a classic inspired game. But a great unique Sonic game. If SEGA wants to deliver games that REALLY play like the old ones, just give Stealth and Taxman a call. That's what they do best, bollocks! And let ST free to finally work on something original and great without being pushed by nostalgia pandering once and for all! No more not-Green Hill Zone, no more Motobugs, no more recicled tropes, no more nostalgia like that. Even in a game made by Stealth and Taxman, I want something original, the only familiar thing I want is the rolling and bouncing physics.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, I'd rather not have another nostalgia fest, but that's just me. It's been getting pretty annoying seeing not much more than a bunch of rehashes in the main series lately.

• Thumbs Up 4

Oh boy! I can't wait to see how SEGA is going to completely miss the point this time!

Pessimism aside, if SEGA isn't just bullshitting us then this has potential to either be very good news or very bad news. Worst case-scenario is that they miss the point in spectacular fashion and simply copy-paste the most superficial aspects of the Classic's gameplay, essentially creating another Sonic 4. Best case-scenario is that the folks at SEGA actually sit down and do an in-depth analysis of the Classic gameplay and try to translate it into 3D, effectively making a game that is what Sonic Adventure would be if it were brought up to modern standards.

Edited by Bowbowis
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'm gonna hope that this actually means something and we'll get something worthwhile out of it. 

It probably won't happen, but I can dream. Classic Sonic is still by far my favorite. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I am well aware SEGA's dropped the ball several times before, but I still honestly hope they mean what they say this time. Sonic deserves to come back in a big way-- one that ensures no one will ever see the franchise as unimportant again.

Yes, maybe it's wishful thinking. Yes, maybe its reputation is tarnished beyond repair.

But I am well within my rights to dream of a better future for the hedgehog we love and the company that made him a household name.

Will it be such? Well, let's wait and see.

I don't want a damn apology, SEGA. I want a good Sonic game.

Actions speak louder than words.

Ya know, you wouldn't have to apologize had you not started this nonsense in the first place by jumping to extreme ideas when the fans of all types, from Classic fans, to Adventure fans, and even Modern fans, could collectively see your screw ups and empty promises from a mile way. Says a lot that different groups can come to an agreement on something.

That whole "old styled game" has me worried tho. Even as someone who's favorite game is from the classics, given that they take input to extremes and throw curveballs into them (Sonic only? Play as just Sonic as he transforms into a Werehog!) or tend to sideline fans of others groups, it makes one wonder if they're going to pander to that whole "back to the roots" thing and throw away everything else. My favorite game may be S3&K, but I do love Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, and the other stuff like Shadow (as a character), Rouge, Chip, and places like Spagonia and Chun-nan from Sonic Unleashed.

It doesn't need to be "old styled" if you just going to regress things back to pre-SA1 and make things 2D. Like others have said, just make a good game regardless.

• Thumbs Up 8

Ya know, you wouldn't have to apologize had you not started this nonsense in the first place by jumping to extreme ideas when the fans of all types, from Classic fans, to Adventure fans, and even Modern fans, could collectively see your screw ups and empty promises from a mile way. Says a lot that different groups can come to an agreement on something.

That whole "old styled game" has me worried tho. Even as someone who's favorite game is from the classics, given that they take input to extremes and throw curveballs into them (Sonic only? Play as just Sonic as he transforms into a Werehog!) or tend to sideline fans of others groups, it makes one wonder if they're going to pander to that whole "back to the roots" thing and throw away everything else. My favorite game may be S3&K, but I do love Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, and the other stuff like Shadow (as a character), Rouge, Chip, and places like Spagonia and Chun-nan from Sonic Unleashed.

It doesn't need to be "old styled" if you just going to regress things back to pre-SA1 and make things 2D. Like others have said, just make a good game regardless.

"Fans want an old-styled game, eh?? OKAY. 2D SIDESCROLLER, NO SAVE DATA, AND NO SPIN DASH." ~ SEGA

• Thumbs Up 5