Awoo.

Sega apologises to fans (hints at a old styled Sonic game?)

Rey Skywalker-Ren

After Cranky Food Friends, I really doubt Sega's sorry for anything. And after red herrings, even good games won't be enough toconvince me this time.

...Honestly, if they actually succeeded in making an actual new "classic Sonic game", with the same physics and gameplay, I would have no complaints, to say the least. In fact, I'm sure I would enjoy it immensely. But I don't really have any confidence they'd be able to do that. I'm not even sure they realize what made those games so great to begin with. (Hint: It's not just "being 2D".)

If they're going to just make a game which doesn't actually realize what actually made those games great in the first place and dunk it in "nostalgia paint", well, that's pretty worthless. My love for the classics doesn't even have much to do with nostalgia anyway, since I didn't really play them all that much when I was younger.

Oh boy! I can't wait to see how SEGA is going to completely miss the point this time!

Pessimism aside, if SEGA isn't just bullshitting us then this has potential to either be very good news or very bad news. Worst case-scenario is that they miss the point in spectacular fashion and simply copy-paste the most superficial aspects of the Classic's gameplay, essentially creating another Sonic 4. Best case-scenario is that the folks at SEGA actually sit down and do an in-depth analysis of the Classic gameplay and try to translate it into 3D, effectively making a game that is what Sonic Adventure would be if it were brought up to modern standards.

That sounds wonderful! I love how the Adventures tried to mimic the classic gameplay in 3D, even though there's room for improvement, and I would love to see Sonic Team take another shot at it, learn even more from the classics, and do even better! I know it probably won't happen, but I agree with you that it would probably be one of the best things that could happen.

• Thumbs Up 7

I would love if SEGA made a new Sonic game with the classic gameplay. I think it would be awesome if they did a Sonic and Mega Man game but with the classic gameplay and the classic 8/16 bit graphics. It could be a Sonic Heroes kind of gameplay where you can switch between Sonic and Mega Man with the touch of a button. This is just a thought and it wouldn't really be that important to the actual game but if it wasn't linear and you could explore and take different paths to get to the end of the level you could find comic pages along the way and eventually unlock the Sonic and Mega Man crossover comic (Both of them) or using the same idea but instead of comic pages it would be like the Red Star rings in Generations and give you cool concept art from both series'. What would also be cool is if they made a Wii U/3DS exclusive 16 bit game (Or even a game with the newer graphics) and like LEGO Dimensions you get a whole game full of levels but when you get certain figures (In this case Amiibo's) you can play as different characters and get new levels. You could say to just make the levels and characters DLC but then we couldn't get awesome Sonic,Tails,Knuckles,Dr. Eggman etc. Amiibo's. What would be really cool is if they do the previously mentioned idea is and they make a Death Egg Amiibo. This might sound stupid but even remake the Sonic Adventure games (and they could play on the 3DS because they got Generations to play on the 3DS). But those are just my thoughts. What do you guys think about my thoughts??

How many times have Sega said they wanted to make classically-inspired games? And how many times has that promise panned out in a positive way? Even if I cared to play classic games again, I have no faith for them to pull it off.

Besides, the time has long passed for apologies. Make a great game already.

I think I remember it back in the Sonic Unleashed days, a lot of the press were talking about how the game had 2D sections "inspired by the classics". And wouldn't you know it, the 2D sections fucking suck.

Regardless of game style, retro/modern/Something new? and 2D or 3D... I don't really care to much about that as long as the game is well made and really fun... I would also prefer multiple playable characters such as Blaze... As a game with just Sonic or the other 2 guys don't really interest me much... but 1 step at a time I know... anyways I'm not to worried about it. I'll just wait and see what happens and hope their next big Sonic game is something good.

If they do end up doing a new retro inspired Sonic game... I just hope they do a far better job then Dimps did on Sonic 4. :B

PS: The only stuff I liked about Sonic 4 much was the boss battles on part 2 and Metal-Sonic being in it.

I think I remember it back in the Sonic Unleashed days, a lot of the press were talking about how the game had 2D sections "inspired by the classics". And wouldn't you know it, the 2D sections fucking suck.

Well now they're talking about translating the Genesis games into 3D, which is a wholly different thing from having 2D sections that seem like the Genesis games.

Well now they're talking about translating the Genesis games into 3D, which is a wholly different thing from having 2D sections that seem like the Genesis games.

They talked about how it was hard to translate Sonic's gameplay to 3D. And then they said that newer games were going to be more "inspired" by Sonic's halcyon days. There's a disconnect between those two ideas expressed.

They talked about how it was hard to translate Sonic's gameplay to 3D. And then they said that newer games were going to be more "inspired" by Sonic's halcyon days. There's a disconnect between those two ideas expressed.

No, they said that they're trying to translate the Genesis games into 3D, which means that they MUST be inspired by the Genesis games to some degree because otherwise you can't really say that they're translating the Genesis games into 3D and not doing something else.

I remain unconvinced. Regardless, this just leaves me wondering when Sonic is going to stop with this back-to-this roots bullshit that's been going on for nigh 7 years now. I'm tired of it.

"Let's see... how many ways left can we spin the phrase "Back to Sonic's roots"..."

"Have we used the word Heyday yet."

"No, because it sounds about as unsubtle as a unicorn spewing brony sprinkles over the bedsheets of a 2-star hotel. Let's do that."

Im honestly scared they are gonna make this boring old styled game. Whats wrong with the newers games? :-/

That's a tricky question because they've all had their own problems that are almost specific to the game.  For example, Sonic 06 had repetitive combat; then in Unleashed enemies were almost a non entity in the face of the boost, while at night combat was a weirdly specific copy of God of War.  Once Generations came out and (obviously) didn't have night levels, enemies have been pretty ineffectual ever since.  

Of course, the main thing for me, and the thing I expect them to completely miss (jaded? me? Nooo)  is the lack of good Sonic physics.  

• Thumbs Up 2

Ok. please Sega, please make a good game. Then, you will be forgiven.(althogh I believe that they can't make Good Sonic game anymore)

You know, after 18 years of 3D gameplay in Sonic, I don't think saying that translating the 2D gameplay to 3D is hard is a fair excuse for the series' woes. It just seems rather pathetic.

• Thumbs Up 5

I would much have a Sonic-Adventure styled game as opposed to Sonic 5. 

Enough of the classic Sonic throwbacks. Move forward. Do it correctly. Stop talking and start doing.

"Enough of the classic Sonic throwbacks. Move forward. Do Sonic Adventure throwbacks."

Here's hoping this means they keep the line they're taking, at the very least visually. If I don't see an art style more realistic than Runners for another decade it'll be too soon.

Edited by The KKM
  • Thumbs Up 3

Here's hoping this means they keep the line they're taking, at the very least visually. If I don't see an art style more realistic than Runners for another decade it'll be too soon.

While them making high quality games in general is what is most important right now... I agree, I'm not fond of the whole "Lets stick extreme stylized cartoon characters into near photo-realistic environments thing"... However I do feel the Lost World environment style is just a bit to simple at times... I think something between the Lost World and Generations style be a nice mix. Far as character models... I like the promo renders from Sonic Runners best so far.

• Thumbs Up 1

Whoo... Sonic can't even muster the energy for that when he boosts any more.

I always use that word to describe action and speed, and in a sense, it's true. Now, I don't mean boost speed, as that's just speed with little action. Sonic Lost World was action with not enough speed and, dare I say it, Boom was neither of those two. The Classics and the Adventures have that right balance between the two, thus they have good energy. If Sonic Team were to recreate that energy, I'm sure most problems would be fixed.

So... I'll just take that statement as them trying to find the energy again and hoping the next game delivers.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey SEGA? Enough talk, more action, yes? Just give me a game that is at least as good as Generations with a half way decent final boss and we're good to go. O.K.? O.K..

Edited by Mightyray

Eh it's not even the development team talking, but the PR people from a diffrent continent, so let's not worry too much about what they say, altough it DOES stack up with the few hints of the new game we had and the general evolution Sonic's been going trough. Legacy Sonic indeed.

I'm noticing a lot of people here, including myself, rather have the PR people acknowledge WHY pervious games didn't work, learned their lessons and will FIX things, rather then cheerfully throwing everything in the garbage and starting to make a Sonic 1 remake from scratch, only to lose interest 5 minutes in and get distracted by exotic and wacky gimmicks again.
The Sonic Boom fire and ice gang at least acknowledging the over-reliance on exploration to the sacrifice of speed will be adressed is the only PR statement I heard in a long time that gave me any form of hope and not just a sarcastic eyeroll.

But then again, PR statements aren't made for us Sonic fans, they're made for the general press. And they are firmly stuck in the eternal "Everything after Sonic 3 & Knuckles has been a nonstop Sonic 06 parade" state of mind. And so the "back to the roots" circus continues.

• Thumbs Up 2

So, essentially, "We're going back to our roots"? Super. Never heard that before; except for like every main series game from Heroes to Generations. For once, with Lost World, you actually didn't claim that; but it's back to tired (and quite frankly desperate) PR already?

Edited by Pawnkin

I think Sonic (still) has a chance on PC too, just look at the Adventure games, Heroes and the classic games. So they shouldn't only talk about console games. But, Lost World is coming to PC, and I heard they will release the other console games on PC as well.

I don't have a problem with making Sonic games 'classic', but if they do, then they should do it well. A 'very classic' game can't be enjoyed today, but if they mix classic and modern things in a game, it can turn out good. For example, look at Generations. I really enjoyed the 2D gameplay, with the 3D camera views. It was both nostalgic and modern. I think they should do it that way.

The thing is, I'm not sure I can look at the recent direction of the series and say that they are nostalgia pandering more than just attempting (and of course failing) to continue from where the classics left off. The PR spin makes it seem like the former, but I don't think it's necessarily true. After all the shit Sonic's been through, sweeping everything since S3&K under the rug aside from supporting cast and continuing from where that game left off certainly isn't an idea to be gawped at.

But for the love of all things holy, just make a good game. I don't want a deep and meaningful plot, with an edgy villain or serious undertones, and I don't even need Adventure gameplay; just give me something that's fast and good. That's all Sonic needs to be, fast and good. That's why gamers loved the classics so much. We don't need Sonic Adventure 3, we don't need some poor attempt at a grand epic plot that just comes across as laughably bad, and certainly p not a constant barrage of 'innovation'. Make a good game. It's not that fucking hard when you have the resources, and Sonic Team definitely has the resources. 

Edited by The Dog
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think Sonic (still) has a chance on PC too, just look at the Adventure games, Heroes, Generations, and the classic games. So they shouldn't only talk about console games. But, Lost World is coming to PC, and I heard they will release the other console games on PC as well.

I don't have a problem with making Sonic games 'classic', but if they do, then they should do it well. A 'very classic' game can't be enjoyed today, but if they mix classic and modern things in a game, it can turn out good. For example, look at Generations. I really enjoyed the 2D gameplay, with the 3D camera views. It was both nostalgic and modern. I think they should do it that way.

You know, unlike the console market where AAA publishers must put out AAA releases lest they be called cheap, in PC AAA publishers like Sega can throw out mid-budget releases (which is Sega's specialty) without too much worry.

For the people who were responsible for getting classic Sonic out there, they really have no clue what "classic Sonic style" means. It's such a broad term at this point and I'm honestly numb to the "throwback to the classic Sonic experience!" claim.