Awoo.

Sega apologises to fans (hints at a old styled Sonic game?)

Rey Skywalker-Ren

I do hope they get to do something as stupid as the Sonic 4 announcement, where, when asked if any characters hurt the series legacy, they claimed that Bark the Polar Bear was a bad decision.

I think the one character that has yet to find his place is Bark the Polar Bear. I hope he does eventually – it’d be nice to have a cool bear character

Bark the Polar Bear, the reason for Sonic's downfall

latest?cb=20100219020809

That's the thing about SEGA, they have to everythng half-heartedly. They can apologise about how poor Sonic games are nowadays but they won't call those games out individually and, despite saying they want Sonic to go back to his roots, they still haven't made a Console 2D Sonic game that wasn't the low-budget arcade title Sonic 4 and that wasn't even developed by Sonic Team.

I never thought I'd say this, but SEGA at the very least needs to take a page from Capcom's book. Sidelining the growing notion that Inafune actually had a lot more to do with Capcom's descent into "Crapcom"" territory than we originally thought, Capcom for the most part actually has done things that not only qualify as apologies to the point where we pretty much got a "We're sorry!" version of the DMC reboot game, managed to for the most part, successfully revive the mainstream Ace Attorney games,  and they're actually striking quite a few chords like re-releasing Megaman games, even the Legends series apparently, which at very least is mitigating the notion that Capcom isn't going to make anything new for Mega in the future. Capcom is far from flawless, but you certainly don't hear the term "Crapcom" thrown around like it was back in the day. Why is that? Because in addition to apologizing, Capcom took several actions to support said apology's credibility!

SEGA, you could give the most beautifully written A+ essay of an apology but obviously actions speak louder and are actually effective more than not. AT the very least, accompany these apologies with footage and teasers of new material that will actually back your words this time!

Edited by Komasan

I never thought I'd say this, but SEGA at the very least needs to take a page from Capcom's book. Sidelining the growing notion that Inafune actually had a lot more to do with Capcom's descent into "Crapcom"" territory than we originally thought, Capcom for the most part actually has done things that not only qualify as apologies to the point where we pretty much got a "We're sorry!" version of the DMC reboot games, managed to for the most part, successfully revive the mainstream Ace Attorney games,  and they're actually striking quite a few chords like re-releasing Megaman games, even the Legends series apparently, which at very least is mitigating the notion that Capcom isn't going to make anything new for Mega in the future. Capcom is far from flawless, but you certainly don't hear the term "Crapcom" thrown around like it was back in the day. Why is that? Because in addition to apologizing, Capcom took several actions to support said apology's credibility!

SEGA, you could give the most beautifully written A+ essay of an apology but obviously actions speak louder and are actually effective more than not. AT the very least, accompany these apologies with footage and teasers of new material that will actually back your words this time!

Well you can't expect Sega to immidiately turn around and fix things, wait a year then we'll see if Sega's really made good on their apology.

Well you can't expect Sega to immidiately turn around and fix things, wait a year then we'll see if Sega's really made good on their apology.

What? No, of couse you can expect Sega to immediately do things. And if they don't say anything, complain that there's no news, but fi they say anything, complain they're just apologizing and you need more RIGHT HERE AND NOW. Is that not how it works?

• Thumbs Up 4

What? No, of couse you can expect Sega to immediately do things. And if they don't say anything, complain that there's no news, but if they say anything, complain they're just apologizing and you need more RIGHT HERE AND NOW. Is that not how it works?

Well if you're a frothing, impatient rager sure, but consider the fact that unlike other Japanese companies Sega's divisions are completely segregated, which means that when Sega of Japan wants the whole company to do something it'll take a long time for Sega of Europe and Sega of America to respond.

SEGA, you probably don't know that in today's video game industry apology is pretty much worthless because how many times companies have "apologised" and then repeated same mistakes?

Just make fun Sonic-game without microtransactions or some other bullshit and put it on PC and consoles and I'm more than happy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, this PR line again? What exactly makes this iteration of it so unique from the hundreds of other times they've claimed it before?

"Let's make a 2D game and bring back Sonic to his roots."

sonic4whoops.jpg

Can't wait.

Oh, but that game wasn't supposed to provide fans with an unrivaled classic Sonic feel...as of February 2012, anyway. Classic Sonic fans were told to go buy Generations or Taxman's Sonic CD instead for a proper classic experience when Episode II made waves.

As one might expect, I don't have any faith whatsoever that they will live up to this (utterly tired, tossed out) claim. I'm only interested in seeing whatever new ways they'll botch up the Genesis gameplay and their new flimsy PR excuses they'll push out to defend their product. Is Tails not going to be playable solo again (if he is playable at all in the next title) because to implement such a feature into the game would literally cost millions of dollars? Are dash panels, no matter how excessively used they are in the game, supposed to be treated like game obstacles?

Best thing about it all is thanks to the developers' heavy focus on "taking Sonic back to his roots" and nostalgia pandering, there seems to be a genuine insinuation from some fans that the Genesis Sonic games are forcing the series to stagnate and decay more than ever...despite the ironic reality that the developers are only interested in tossing out every imaginable wink, nod, and reference towards the Genesis games; but don't care at all about replicating anything good from the Genesis gameplay into the newer games.

Can't wait indeed.

Edited by Gabe
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'm not asking, nor even expecting them to just turn things around immediately, but I wish that they could at least show more than tell.

If I recall correctly, this far from the first apology we've gotten from them. I'll wait, but I can't promise it'll be in good faith of SEGA, hell it's Sonic Team I trust more anyway.

Look no further than Keiji Inafune, and you'll see that any mount of good will held towards you can easily be burnt out if you apologize and don't really have anything to show for it, especially in the videogame business where apologies are as common as rabbit offspring these days.

Want to apologize these days for a mess SEGA? Do what you did with the Boost trilogy after Unleashed: show the fans what you're made of by improving and refining stuff significantly ala like Colors and Generations did with the Boost formula. That didn't even really need an apology accompanying it to give fans the inkling that someone actually did care about the brand, and that SEGA were finally pulling their heads out of their rear ends.

We know they're apparently sorry as far as they say, so we're to see what they're actually going to DO about it, and considering how long it's been since the last mainstream Sonic game, pretty long going by Sonic franchise standards, I'd say it's in SEGA's best interest not to tease new stuff without having at least something physical to show of it.

On Sega's defense, I think the problem with their constant apologies is how much the fanbase has constantly criticized Sega for changing Sonic with new gameplay styles as well as gimmicks and making it something it's not which i disagree with since it's still Sonic no matter what, so you can't really blame them for trying to please fans by going back to the classic roots. But I agree with everyone here, Sega should just relax and focus on making on a solid good Sonic game and not just for the sake of pleasing the classic fans. The Classic Era of the 90s is over and it's time to move on.

Edited by Dan-Dude
  • Thumbs Up 1

"Enough of the classic Sonic throwbacks. Move forward. Do Sonic Adventure throwbacks."

You jest, but I was genuinely thinking something like this earlier.

If you have to "go back" again, SEGA/Sonic Team, at least try a refined SA1 type of gameplay. Without the reuse of level tropes, though, please.

so you can't really blame them for trying to please fans by going back to the classic roots.

If they already tried and failed, you kinda can.

Honestly I'm sick of 2D gameplay, I want full, pure 3D platforming gameplay to return sometime to the series.                                                     

If they already tried and failed, you kinda can.

Good Point.

I can't really be excited about this until I see something, what do they mean about taking inspiration from Sonic's "heyday" anyway? I don't wish for a nostalgia-fueled game.

The only not great Sonic games I've played are Heroes and Colors... I don't really care what they do.

Well, actually, I don't like the classic games aside from 3 on its own so less 2D would be great.

Classic style Sonic is fine and all, but honestly, I want SEGA to stop with all the nostalgia. They've been doing it since Colours almost. 

I don't know about you guys, but when I got into the Sonic series, I liked it because it was different from other franchises. Every game did something new and kept me interested. New villains, new gameplay styles, it mixed things up. I don't want SEGA to try and go back to the classic roots again. I want a new game that will blow me away with addictive, fast, fun gameplay, a rich world, and fantastic music and graphics. I haven't had a thrill since Sonic Unleashed, and I feel that was the last time they tried to make a huge adventurous Sonic title. That's not to say I didn't like the other titles... Okay well, maybe I didn't. :V But Generations was fantastic. I just felt they could've made it a bigger experience. And I want that. I want to have a big experience with Sonic again. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I missed this bit, but:

You now, after 18 years of 3D gameplay in Sonic, I don't think saying that translating the 2D gameplay to 3D is hard is a fair excuse for the series' woes. It just seems rather pathetic.

Can't agree with this enough.

Almost twenty years  as of this writing since Adventure 1, and they still can't "get Sonic right in 3D"? Maybe Sega should consider the possibility that the problem isn't so much the difficulty translating Sonic from 2D gameplay to 3D, than it is their staff simply aren't very good at their jobs.

Critically speaking, their best attempt at a 3D Sonic is still their first (Adventure 1...the original release anyway). And that game's problems could be more associated with lack of polish and poor game design descions, rather than Sonic still being a tough nut to crack in the 3D space.

That doesn't even get to the fact that the games that use the Unleashed playstyle they rewrote the series into when Sonic 2006 crashed and burned at the stake into semantics have a hell of a lot of 2D in them...

Edited by Gabe
  • Thumbs Up 2

All this really means to me is, "More 2D,  more Green Hill Zone, no story"  Which is what they've been doing  and what I hate.

• Thumbs Up 4

I honestly fucking hate the insinuation that nothing good has come out of 3D Sonic, and apparently Classic is this goldal pedestal of perfection that has been unobtainable for the past 18 years. As someone who only ever bothers to play Sonic 3 & K, and grew up with the Adventure games on Dreamcast, I don't think the Classic games are nearly as perfect as people are making them out to be, and I'm tired of the constant shitting on 3D Sonic like it was never good. With all due respect? Fuck that.

• Thumbs Up 7

I'm always reminded of the quote when Sonic 06 was about to come out about the game being a "best of Sonic the Hedgehog"...and ending up having virtually NOTHING than made the Sonic series memorable over those past 15 years.

Whatever the case, this is the longest stretch we've gone without a 3D Sonic Team-developed game EVER, so I'm very, very curious what exactly they're cooking up this time around.

Edited by PC the Hedgehog

Ok Sega, we get it. You've been fucking up for years and you want to redeem yourselves. Seriously though, every time I hear "classic style" I just end up rolling my eyes because I'm getting sick of nostalgia pandering. Just make a game worth playing already.

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly fucking hate the insinuation that nothing good has come out of 3D Sonic, and apparently Classic is this goldal pedestal of perfection that has been unobtainable for the past 18 years. As someone who only ever bothers to play Sonic 3 & K, and grew up with the Adventure games on Dreamcast, I don't think the Classic games are nearly as perfect as people are making them out to be, and I'm tired of the constant shitting on 3D Sonic like it was never good. With all due respect? Fuck that.

I think this is part of my exhaustion with the nostalgia pandering- the overwhelming exalting of the classic games as the only games worth looking at. There's a lot of interesting ideas that came about as a result of attempts to translate the gameplay or change it altogether, and the downplaying of the 3D games as having nothing to offer has just gotten insulting. All this has done is highlight the fact that they are incapable of competently looking at past work and confidently iterating off of anything that's remotely interesting or unique or modern without leaning back on their earliest material in the most pandering ways possible. This is probably going to just be Generations or Sonic 4 all over again and I'm done with that. If I want to play a classic game, I'll just fucking play Sonic 3 or something.

• Thumbs Up 6

My thing is that they are trying way too hard to please to a group of Sonic fans. Like with Sonic Colors before people were tired of cities and real worlds and humans and wanted a fun world.... Sonic Colors did that. but people complained. 

People wanted a classic game... Sonic 4 came out and it was both a classic with modern touches. People still complained mostly about the homing attack and Sonic's green eyes. 

People wanted playable friends so we got Tails in Episode 2. But they did fuck up with that one.

I have this feeling that this could be a Sonic Adventure 3 game. And this time they are apologising to the Adventure fans.

To be fair, the Classic Sonic games are much better than the 3D titles. Sonic 2 gets overlooked on Sonic fan sites despite being far better than every 3D Sonic game ever released. And Sonic 1, despite its flaws, is still probably better than the better 3D titles like Colours and Generations. 

I'd actually love to see a full release Console 2D Sonic game, it fucking blows my mind that they haven't done it. Then I remember Sonic 4 and I secretly hope they never do. 

• Thumbs Up 1