Awoo.

Sega apologises to fans (hints at a old styled Sonic game?)

Rey Skywalker-Ren

How many times have we seen this? How many times has SEGA "admitted their past mistakes," and "promised their going to change for the better?" Quite frankly, I'm tired of SEGA saying this shit. It's 2015, and SEGA has said this a million times, and they need to stop saying it, and they need to start proving it by making quality games again.

And to be honest, I'm sick of the nostalgia pandering. It's doesn't matter how many times you put in not-Green Hill Zone levels, or how many motobugs you throw on screen, or how many references to classic games you make, none of it means a damn thing when your gameplay is shit, or your stories' are half-assed. And it baffles me how SEGA thinks the only way to fix all of the problem with the Sonic series is just "let's just focus on nostalgia and nothing else. And instead of trying to make a Sonic game that as great as the original Genesis games, we'll just throw some motobugs on screen, have solo-Sonic, and some not-Green Hill Zone levels." 

Edited by D.H
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm just sick of the nostalgia pandering because it's not my nostalgia they're pandering to. It's someone else's.

I feel like I'm being punished for getting into the series later then the people who played the Classics did. You'd think they'd recognize that when you divide the fanbase into so many different sectors of people who grew up with entirely different versions of Sonic, you'd realize the importance of trying to be a bit more inclusive rather then dividing it even more.

But no, let's turn Sonic into Call of Duty and God of War because people who play Call of Duty and God of War will totally pick up Sonic to play Call of Duty and God of War instead of Call of Duty and God of War. Because that's how logic works. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The reason why the Classic Sonic games get more throwbacks is because they are the classic games and the ones which most people think are the best or most groundbreaking. It's not just Sonic, Mario almost always gets throwbacks to his 2D titles rather than 64 or dare to say Sunshine.

I think it's not right that we haven't seen enough Adventure throwbacks considering how ridiculously popular they are, but there is the Orca appearing a million times in every Sonic game.

Right guys :P

Edited by Regen

Mario gets throwbacks because his throwbacks are almost always series staples.

Sonic gets throwbacks because Sega is too scared to do anything particularly interesting with or outside of the aesthetics.

• Thumbs Up 9

Yeah, but Mario's throwbacks are mostly for the 2D games because they are classic, that's the point. The more divisive games like Sunshine have never been referred to or mentioned again. 

And I've already said I would like to see more Adventure throwbacks, it makes sense really.

there's an entire Facebook page about wanting Sonic Team to return to the Adventure formula instead of keeping it in this stagnacy of "Boost2Win" or "HERPADERP 2D".  I mean, Lost World was an outstanding game, but the reviewers thrashed it when it dared to go against the formula that took hold of the series in Unleashed.

Hey, how about a game where the players can coustomise Sonic's movesets into a game? You can still have the Shitventure gameplay you wanted

Hey, how about a game where the players can coustomise Sonic's movesets into a game? You can still have the Shitventure gameplay you wanted

It would be too unfocused, in trying to make all control styles they would fuck up all of them rather than master one.

It's like when games have godawful underwater sections that play like different games. The underwater sections are always utter tripe because they are so unfocused.

It would be too unfocused, in trying to make all control styles they would fuck up all of them rather than master one.

It's like when games have godawful underwater sections that play like different games. The underwater sections are always utter tripe because they are so unfocused.

Thats true. 

I was thinking like what Generations has. It saved classic Sonic's boring gameplay.

there's an entire Facebook page about wanting Sonic Team to return to the Adventure formula instead of keeping it in this stagnacy of "Boost2Win" or "HERPADERP 2D".  I mean, Lost World was an outstanding game, but the reviewers thrashed it when it dared to go against the formula that took hold of the series in Unleashed.

I thought reviewers thrashed it because it's essentially a poor man's version of both Mario Galaxy and Donkey Kong Country filled with a number of flawed gameplay mechanics that are never properly explained to the player?

• Thumbs Up 4

Look, we've gotten to the point where nobody on Sega knows what the fuck what they're doing anymore. Nostalgia means nothing. 

Sega doesn't know who to cater to. 

Also its also the fans. The fans dont know what they want.

Edited by Sonikku Miya

More like fans are at each other's neck...again. Thanks to Sega/Sonic Team...again.

Seriously, I thought we left this back in 2006-07, but looks like history is repeating itself.

• Thumbs Up 4

Gonna disagree with that last statement, Sonikku.

I argue that each fan does know what they want. The problem is that there are groups of fans that might want something different. A lot of us will say "we just want a good quality Sonic game," but even then we'll have our biases for one style over another. There's a loud and vocal group that wants another Sonic Adventure game (whatever that means at this point), some will want to stick to 2D, the boost formula has a huge following, too, and there are a number of folks who thought Sonic Lost World was a great new start for the series. There are fans who think Sonic Colors was a godsend, and there are fans who think it was just below average. Fans love Unleashed. Fans hate Unleashed. There's people out there that like Shadow the Hedgehog, for crying out loud.

And I'm just touching on gameplay, pllleeaassee don't make me go into how radically different each story is from the next. Like, seriously. Seriously. 

For better or for worse (in this instance, definitely for worse), Sonic's branched out in several directions, and that's made it very difficult to appease everyone.

• Thumbs Up 7

Like someone said it would be a miracle for them to please anyone. 

Well so far Im pleased but yeah.

Yeah, just reading this topic makes me sort of sad, seeing how divided the Sonic fan base is and just how much we disagree on everything. No matter how you slice it, we really aren't looking for the same thing in a game, and if one group is pleased, it's guaranteed another group will get the short end of the stick. I already knew we're a very divided fandom, but I guess it's been a while since I've realized how opposed so many of us are to each others' views. I really like the fact that our fandom has diverse opinions, I really do, but it obviously has its downsides, to say the least.

• Thumbs Up 8

Honestly, that wouldn't even be a problem if people learned a thing or two about showing respect to one another. And I mean actual, geniune respect. We'd have fewer problems if we showed more of that instead of taking things to extremes by straight up blasting and mocking people for preferring something different to anything but their own tastes, or suggesting something they don't like.

There may be badly implemented ideas, but we don't have to have an atmosphere that tells someone "you're stupid" whenever someone has different opinions.

But that's the GIFT of the Internet for us, huh?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 2

The problem is definitely mostly on Sega tho; let's be honest with ourselves, we wouldn't be a bunch of fractured and butthurt man-children if they actually knew how to handle this franchise. The reason we're all so divided is because none of us have any idea where this franchise is headed, and whenever there might be some silver-lining, Sega decides to veer into another direction. So all we're left with is clinging to the things that we do like about this series that have long since been left in the past. So preferences and whatnot. 

Its kinda sad really how divided we all our, but *shrug* opinions. I don't think there's a game out there that could reasonably satisfy all crowds without someone feeling "neglected". 

I mean, its gotten to the point where people are starting to question the quality of the classic 2D games compared to the later ones. Its pretty fucking bad lol.

Edited by Kuzu the Boloedge
  • Thumbs Up 6

i dunno if this is the appropriate thread for this, but:

Some people (not here) have been suggesting Sega/Sonic Team stop trying to listen to the fans and just focus on making a good game. Do you agree?

Personally, I can see where they're coming from, seeing as how fractured the fanbase is (regardless of whose fault that is), and how so many people want so many different things. Sega has continually failed to realize that they are not going to please everyone in the fanbase like they so desperately want to almost by default. What they need to do is either pick a portion of the fanbase to cater to, and focus on that, or just make a good Sonic game and whoever's happy is happy. This constant and crippling fears of displeasing fans has been, ironically displeasing fans for years.

• Thumbs Up 3