Awoo.

Detroit: Become Human (Quantic Dream / PS4)

Junko

So from the makers of Fahrenheit, Heavy Rain, and Beyond: Two Souls comes... Detroit. An expansion upon the tech demo Quantic Dream made back in 2012 called Kara.

Here's David Cage telling us about it.

Hi everyone. Some of you might remember a PS3 tech demo called Kara that we released in 2012. It was about an android who discovered she could feel emotions and appeared to be sentient. Many people were deeply moved by this character and felt empathy for this character who just wanted to live. But everyone had the same question: what happens to Kara when she leaves the factory?

I kept asking myself the same question since we released this short. I knew I had to find out!

So we imagined our world in a near future where androids like Kara would look, speak, and move like real human beings. We wondered how we — humans — would react if we were confronted with a new form of intelligence, how androids conceived as machines would be perceived if they started to have emotions.

We didn’t want to do another story on AI (there are already so many great ones), we wanted to talk about what it means to be human and what it would be like to be in the shoes of an android discovering our world and their own emotions…

I am really excited to announce that Quantic Dream’s new title is called Detroit.

Here's the original tech demo in question.

Edited by Kyoko Kirigiri

I recall nearly two years back, while commentating on that Project: Kara demo that I regarded it as David cage's best work whatsoever back then (pretty much his one good contribution aside from Heavy Rain to an extent ) and actually wishing he'd make a game out of it.

......What have I done.:unsure:

So, not only David Cage is once again trying to chocke us with ze concept of ""emotions"", but now he's also inserting the sci-fi racism we have seen a gajillion times in the last, i don't know 15 years (at least), especially in every single Neill Blomkamp movie. Wonderful.

EDIT: The comments under the trailer are seriously making me question my life decisions as a person who grew up with Sony consoles.

• Thumbs Up 1

So apparenty acording to a "XANDER RIBCAGE" from twitter, there's a script leak of "Detroit": 

CSWJhlCUkAEOGv8.jpg

(Thank you for finding that source, Apollo/Athena/Kyoko).

Me oh my, if this is legit, that dialogue is well, uh......impeccable?

Also, might as well leave this little charmer here!

Edited by Jovahexeon Ace Joranvexeon
  • Thumbs Up 1

I can't believe I'm even typing this question, but how will Cage's disturbing need to include attempted sexual assault for all his female characters work with a female robot?

Also when does she team up with Robocop to stop Skynet, Creepio and their Singularity Engine?

If you've played Indigo prophecy/Fahrenheit or Beyond 2 Souls you know some massive dumb shit is on it's way. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I do love Quantic Dream's games (never cared for people's moanings on all of them) but this idea really doesn't grab me. The whole A.I schtick has been done to death and even if David Cage has made some interesting stories, it will never be a plot I like. Let me know when he releases the 'hinted at' Beyond Two Souls 2.

Oh boy time for another one of David Cage's Wild Rides! Wonder what relationship he'll establish in a short on unrealistic time. Seriously with Fahrenheit having the main characters deciding to sleep together only after not even knowing each other for a day, Ethan and Madison deciding they're in love after three days (Well you can choose to break them up) and the fact you can make Jodie fall in love with Jay despite not knowing him long either, you know he'll probably have the option for Kara to get hooked up in a short and unrealistic amount of time.

• Thumbs Up 1

The whole A.I schtick has been done to death

It has but... it's rare that it's done well, especially in games. Honestly I can only think of Binary Domain which used Ai to actually present some real world questions which are eventually going to impact our real world sonner than we might think which were not done to a stupid parody like level.

I'm near the end of it, but it looks like Freedom Wars might be another which is heading that way. 

Otherwise, when it comes to games, Ai is usually 'I'm good' or "I'M BAD DESTROY!"

• Thumbs Up 1

I do love Quantic Dream's games (never cared for people's moanings on all of them) but this idea really doesn't grab me. The whole A.I schtick has been done to death and even if David Cage has made some interesting stories, it will never be a plot I like. Let me know when he releases the 'hinted at' Beyond Two Souls 2.

The reason we "moan" is because: 1. Beyond is not a game, it can't even use the "choices affect the plot" excuse cause they don't. If you want to make a movie by all means, but fuck you if youre gonna sell an 8 hour movie as a 60 dollars game.

2. Cage's dialogue is laughable, his stories full of incredibly out of place elements, melodramatic and full of plotholes and his characters shallow with only one major trait given to them, and that's when they're not massively hypocritical(Jodie: THEY MADE ME KILL PEOPLE NATHAN I KILLED A FATHER *3 seconds later* IF THEY COME FOR ME I'LL KILL THEM ALL).

3(And the worst). He is a detriment to video games as an artform:

To sum up his drawn out speech: He thinks if games are to become an artform they need to stop focusing on challenging gameplay and focus on story and(of course) emotions. The head title of his speech is "Games need to grow up".

So let me get this straight... we create this brand new medium that has all sorts of new and interesting things going for it... and David Cage wants to strip away everything that makes it different so we can instead have a poor imitation of film? And he somehow considers this "growing up"? Let me make this loud and clear: If you think the only way video games can be art is by taking away everything that makes video games unique in comparison to other media, then you are NOT an advocate for video games as art. You're the exact opposite. You're saying the only way for video games to be art is by pretending to be movies. You're harming the medium more than any mindless shooter, Sonic 06 kind of mess or shitty licensed game ever has.

• Thumbs Up 7

As one so eloquently puts it zRxr9fS.pnghttps://twitter.com/KazHiraiCEO/status/659085513777913856

Why does that make such a sadisitic amount of sense. Then again, I should know since I once developed a theory not that too far off.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm just sitting here excited that there's a futuristic game set in Detroit where the city isn't depicted like a trashcan. LOL.

• Thumbs Up 1

However, I doubt the legitimacy of the leak considering David Cage is never this ham-fisted with his dialogue.

Ummm,  care to clarify which version of "ham-fisted" you mean. 

Because otherwise,  oh boy does this remind me of one of favorite game franchises.  And man oh man does Mr. Cage's writing from Indigo Prophecy to Beyond Two Souls provide an excessive amount of ammo to back a you-know-what. phoenix-confident(a).gif

Ummm,  care to clarify which version of "ham-fisted" you mean. 

As in, he doesn't try this hard with regards to trying to attribute his dialogue with the location where it's set.

Because otherwise,  oh boy does this remind me of one of favorite game franchises.  And man oh man does Mr. Cage's writing from Indigo Prophecy to Beyond Two Souls provide an excessive amount of ammo to back a you-know-what. 

...no idea what you mean.

...no idea what you mean.

:nick-sweat:.........It was a blatant reference, served silver platter style, to a certain franchise that does story-driven games far better than David Cage ever has, let's just leave it at that for now. Basically I was pointing out the presence of contradiction there.

But, back to business:

As in, he doesn't try this hard with regards to trying to attribute his dialogue with the location where it's set.

Not quite sure "ham-fisted" is the right word for where you're going with that. Nevertheless, going off of that when it comes to David cage...... Yes, Apollo, he actually has done that in SPADES.

Like for instance that little Beyond Two Souls mission to "Insert Stereotypical Asian Terrorist" the country. There's plenty of dialogue to hound there, but characters like the insane soldier that shows up @ 30:03

"Because of you Stupid American Bitch!"

And that's only scratching the surface of how ham-fisted David Cage's writing can get, less we say more on stuff like how in Indigo Prophecy  we have that godforsaken prophecy dialogue, the "OOOoooh so spooky" scenes, the ghost of the murder victim's banter, anything uttered by that stupid Purple Clan, Lucas' epilogue speech, the oh-so important dialogue made during the apocalypse-sex scene, and a whole tub of script lard to go with that in the realms of etcetera.

Heavy Rain may not be as bad Indigo, but that's not enough to save it from from falling into Cage's usual pitfalls in writing. Characters overly cartoony in nature among several scenes, wanton swearing for the sake of swearing, a certain mental monologue or two which also shares the accomplishment of practically shattering the game's plot  with the plothole it generates, and don't even get me started on what any authority figure outside of Jaden has to say in that script.

• Thumbs Up 1

BTW, Don't call this a Sci Fi game just because the story is fiction about futuristic technology. Yes the man is actually trying to redefine the definition of Sci Fi:

"We didn’t want to do sci-fi. We didn’t want to invent any technology that doesn’t exist in labs today."

http://www.lazygamer.net/playstation/playstation-4-2/detroit-become-human-isnt-a-sci-fi-game/

So instead he made a story about an android with human emotions in a dystopian version of USA, because you know, that is totally different than anything Sci Fi works ever did. Also no technology that doesn't exist in labs today....Can anyone from Detroit tell me if there are android factories in there? I was not aware of this.

I swear, this guy is so easy to make fun of it's amazing.

I also love what he said in the official Sony blog:

"We didn’t want to do another story on AI (there are already so many great ones), we wanted to talk about what it means to be human and what it would be like to be in the shoes of an android discovering our world and their own emotions"

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015/10/27/introducing-detroit-the-new-ps4-game-from-quantic-dream/

You know, the premise of virtually EVERY A.I. STORY EVER MADE!

Also here's the video of him talking about the game for the Playstation Youtube channel:

Notice at 2:31. Once again he goes on about how the better graphics and facial animations will give the game more.....you guessed it. Emotion. Hell his speech from 2:31 onwards is basically his emotion meme in overload. Yeah never mind on improving your writing, the polygons will take care of it.

• Thumbs Up 2

That trailer got me thinking with the quote:

"This is our story."

giphy.gif

Kinda surprised Cage and Toriyama  haven't made  a match-made-in-heaven collaboration at this point considering how on par David Cage's usual writing with TORIYAMA'S writing post- XII: Revelant Wings  (not a saying much for X's wonky story but it was at the  very least,  still somewhat fun and salvageable unlike the XIII trilogy).

Not to mention that both Square Enix and Quantic Dream have a hard-on for graphics.

• 7 months later...

They just showed it at E3.

Holy crap, this actually looks really good.

• Thumbs Up 2

OMG The dialogue is so cheesy and the plot is still just as cliche, this is gonna be amazingly awful xD