Awoo.

SEGA hosting Sonic Lost World Launch Party

PickleBrows

TBH, I think Lost World will demand less than Gens. Steam says it needs a Core i5 2,66ghz to run on max, which is a pretty standard GPU these days, especially on laptops. Also, only 3gb of RAM. The only problem is the VA, but even if you don't have equivalent or better, you can still play smooth with reduced graphics, which IMO, is better than maxed out graphics at 5fps :P

Do we know if the PC version will have a demo? That might be a good way to see if your PC is capable of running it.

• Thumbs Up 1

On mobile, tired. So this isn't extensive and really not the place/time for me to answer a major question session right now... but...

Regarding the controls.

The first and last time I played SLW was at SOS 2013. And I hated it. If you find my preview which is on TSS somewhere you can see how much.

I especially hated how you controlled and used the wisps. 

Today over 2 years later. Played SLW again. And... I actually thought it was 'alright' Sonic felt better to control than he did from my Wii U experience. That said it's not perfect, there are issues and I'm not going to describe now ax it will take me too long and I'm tired. 

But it felt better.

Was this due to a better controller?  Possibly. But the fact remains, it feels better, at least to someone new playing.

There was a range of experience at this thing. Some owned and had beaten the fame 100%, some same position as me, some had never touched it.

Asking some of the other players there, including Dreadknux. We all thought the controls where a lot better than the Wii U version or that it was easier to pick up and play than the Wii U. Those who owned the Wii U version who had beaten it all said they found the PC version more fun.

Now before someone claims or suggests "you were at a Sega party, you were just being nice."

Okay... first of all. Both Send and myself were very vocal about what we liked and did not like.  Even pointin out problems we saw to Dan at one point. As we're other people.

One kid (yes a child was there) also said. "I might get this, Sonic has been shit for ages but this was actually good!" When asked by Dan what he thought of the game.

There are however some problems which might be exclusive to the PC version.

0: The wisps are still annoying and have problems which may now be even more annoying than the Wii U version. 

E.g. gone is the "Action now at the tablet" / "returning to the main screen" message. We now have "You want to use a laser wisp!? Aim with the analogue stick and push A to fire!" When the wisp power ends a message appears telling the player. "Wisp power depleted, Push A to continue" 

This happens for EVERY wisp you pick up, even ones you already know how to use.  It's so annoying, it totally breaks the flow of the game and there is no reason at all for it to exist in there.

1: The UI can clutter the screen badly. Especially Sonic's suitcase. More info on that later.

2: There is a bug which I'm calling the Michael Jackson bug. Sometimes you run as Sonic. Stop. and he goes sliding backwards as if doing the moonwalk.

3: Other than time trials. No multilayer modes.

4: It's still Sonic Lost World. If you don't like SLW odds are the PC version won't change your mind much. Pulling off moves is still kinda complicated e.g. homing attacks used to be jump + jump. Now it's more fiddly. They replaced the holding down boost to win with holding down boost to run fast.

TlDr. "It's a really really really good port. Of a game which is somewhere between 'meh' and 'sorta alright'.

Maybe the lack of a Wii U tablet will make new players take to it quicker and technically it runs fine. But it's still lost world. 

Goodnight.

• Thumbs Up 9

TBH, I think Lost World will demand less than Gens. Steam says it needs a Core i5 2,66ghz to run on max, which is a pretty standard GPU these days, especially on laptops. Also, only 3gb of RAM. The only problem is the VA, but even if you don't have equivalent or better, you can still play smooth with reduced graphics, which IMO, is better than maxed out graphics at 5fps :P

Well, given that they're likely referring to a Nehalem based i5? I'm sure that a dual-core Skylake-based i3 at 2.1ghz would be more than able to run it. I'm pretty confident that something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Laptop-E5-573G-56RG-GeForce-Windows/dp/B014J7YEH4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_147_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41ZZSAkt%2ByL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1P7K3YJNDHC6PKBF8T1M  Would be able to run it at 1080p60fps.

TlDr. "It's a really really really good port. Of a game which is somewhere between 'meh' and 'sorta alright'.

Well, we don't actually know this year considering you couldn't play it on your own hardware and only for a bit at a preview event. We won't know how well optimized it is, what the graphical options are etc. until the port is actually released and we can play it for ourselves.

Good hardware being able to run the game at 60fps also kinda seems like the bare minimum seeing how the Wii U, a console with hardware that would have been considered a great PC build ten years ago, could run it at the same framerate. It should also be a lot less demanding game than Generations is, considering that that game had trouble running at 30fps at a lower resolution on similar hardware.

Edited by TimmiT

Hoping for a demo so we can test if our PC's can handle before spending money. Bring it on monday!

Shoot if it runs on my crappy laptop with Intel hd 4400 graphics at a playable frame rate (I get between 30-60 on generations, except in chemical plant and the unleashed stages minus Holoska) most of us should be ok; then again, all pc games run differently on different hardware. Also I'm running the game at 800 X 600 resolution with everything set to low and vsync enabled.

Edited by Da Blu Hedgie

Shoot if it runs on my crappy laptop with Intel hd 4400 graphics at a playable frame rate (I get between 30-60 on generations, except in chemical plant and the unleashed stages minus Holoska) most of us should be ok; then again, all pc games run differently on different hardware.

Seriously? At what resolution?

BwzLMCb.jpg

Instead of changing the prompts according to the thing plugged (Keyboard/Gamepad) they've just took the lazy route and listed both...

But hey, keyboard controls confirmed, so there's that to the 1 person who's ballsy enough to play a 3d platformer with a Keyboard.

Good thing is keyboard compatible. If I'm unable to customize the gamepad controls (doubtful, since it's possible on Generations), all I have to do is use Joy2Key.

BwzLMCb.jpg

Instead of changing the prompts according to the thing plugged (Keyboard/Gamepad) they've just took the lazy route and listed both...

Oh hey its the pic from my tweet. 

Both the keyboard and controller were plugged in and both responded fine.

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 3