Awoo.

Would you like some artist \ band returned to making music for Sonic?

Solister

If Sega hire you to choice a band/artist who did a song for Sonic a few years ago who would you choose?

In my opinion, my favorite band is Julien-K, was made This Machine and Waking Up for Sonic, and actually is doing a second part of a two part album: California Noir Chapter One: Analog Beaches and Digital Cities and California Noir Chapter Two: Nightlife in Neon. The Chapter One was released earlier this year, and Chapter Two it is expected later this year.

Waking Up - Shadow the Hedgehog

Strange Invisible - California Noir Chapter One: Analog Beaches and Digital Cities

And you? What is your favorite band/artist would you like to return to making music for Sonic?

• Thumbs Up 3

Just more vocal music please! It is one of my most favorite things about this series, and I hope everything isn't just instrumentals and remixes from now on! The songs in SA2, ShtH, and even Heroes are reasons I love those games so much! If I sat down and wrote the names of all the games I love partly due to the songs, I'd be naming all my favorite games.

Crush 40. I know it sounds cliche but they really did make some of the most memorable and iconic songs in the franchise, most of which are the one thing that unites the massively divided fandom. We need more things that bring us together, now more than ever, instead of more reasons for us to tear each other apart.

Also this, I could not say it any better than this.

• Thumbs Up 5

Don't get me wrong, however, I absolutely love almost every vocal song in the franchise, especially Julien-Ks stuff, Team Chaotix, E.G.G.M.A.N, With Me, Dreams of an Absolution, S&ASRTs credits song (I drew a blank on the title, sorry, brain fart), Supporting Me and, of course, everything by Crush 40.

I just feel Crush 40's the most fitting for the franchise and the one everyone now knows and instantly associates with the franchise. Even if they don't know the bands name, I can almost guarantee a person would give a Crush 40 song if asked what their favourite Sonic song is.

Edited by kamifox1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Hideki Naganuma needs to come back and lay down some fresh tracks for Sonic. His style of music has always fit Sonic as a character, even as a series to me. 

So much attitude.

Then again I'm the one that was sad when Shadow wasn't a secret unlockable in Jet Set Radio.

tumblr_n8j4xt9vpL1td3k3fo1_1280.png

• Thumbs Up 5

I think either Cash Cash or Bowling for soup should make a return, every track they've done with the franchise (3 to be precise) has stuck with me since the day I heard them.

It's been a good 6 years since Unleashed came out and I still think Endless Possibility is the best song in the series :D

Of course I'd say the obvious Crush 40, but there's other bands I'd like to see.

I love Reach For The Stars and Speak With Your Heart, so I'd love having Cash Cash make more Sonic songs. Especially with Pontac and Graff still writing, so the tone is still comparitive to Colors, which allows whatever songs they would add in to still fit with the current direction.

I also would like to see more stuff from Bentley Jones.

Fumie Kumatani, composer of Theme of E-102r, Throw It All Away, Supporting Me..., Theme of Babylon Garden, High and Broken, Dive Into Gravity, Cool Edge - Night, Skyscraper Scamper - Day, among a bunch of other great themes for Sonic and other games, especially PSO.

She's been absent from SEGA's games since Sonic Colours (only composing the surprisingly uninspired cut-scene music for that game) and it makes me super sad coz I loved her stuff.

If Sega hire you to choice a band/artist who did a song for Sonic a few years ago who would you choose?

In my opinion, my favorite band is Julien-K,

In case you weren't aware, they did re-appear as recently as Generations.  Circuit Freq., the group behind the remixes of Open Your Heart, Vengeance is Mine and For True Story, is composed either partially or entirely of members/former members (not sure exactly) of Julien-K.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 3

Man, Shadow the Hedgehog had a host of really cool bands. Was it Julien-K that did the Team Chaotix theme for Sonic Heroes as well? XD That song always cracks me up, so great!

...or was it This Machine? Yeah, they totally did This Machine, didn't they? Actually, all the Team themes from Heroes were decent. :) Liked them all.

Marlon Saunders with Dred Foxx >> we need more Knuckles!! And whoever did the raps for SA2: he needs to make a return, just for lolz. SEGA, PUT IT INTO BOOM! XD

Aside from obviously mentioning Crush40, the guy that did the new version of 'Catch Me If You Can' from Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity, did an excellent job. I'd like to hear more from him.

Why Jun Senoue of course. The guy always seems to know how to create an insanely memorable tune and not only that but he does so while also capturing the vast array of settings and moods present in each level and cutscene while still staying true to the game and/or character's overall style.

From the upbeat and exciting "That's The Way I Like It":

To the dark tension of "Militant Missionary":

Or the blood-pumping majesty of "Soarin' Over The Space":

The frantic desperation of "ZERO The Chase Master":

And the haunting melancholy of "Trespasser":

Hell, even when he's just doing BGMs for cutscenes he's still epic:

And of course he's one half of Crush 40, what more needs to be said but this:

Edited by Bowbowis
  • Thumbs Up 1

Seconding Fumie Kumatani. She is flat out responsible for some of the best songs in this series. 

Shoutout to Richard Jacques who's responsible for many of my favorite songs from the franchise's earlier days. 

I'm mostly done with Crush 40 style hard rock shit to be honest. Don't really think it fits the franchise anymore.

Edited by Wraith

I'd like to hear TJ Davis come back and do some more songs. I'd reckon she'd do a fine job with some proper lyrics. I still love listening to Sonic Boom to this day.

• Thumbs Up 1

A third vote for Fumie Kumatani; her not having more of a presence in the series after Cool Edge Night alone is a downright travesty. Also, I want Kenichi Tokoi to do another Sonic soundtrack as Secret Rings' soundtrack is some high-quality, catchy shit.

I'd give a kidney for some more Tony Harnell in my Sonic soundtracks. It Doesn't Matter basically shaped my music tastes back in the day. I looked up the guy and his former band TNT became my favorite ever. Something about SA2's It Doesn't Matter I feel just really nails Sonic in a special way.

Actually no.

I think it's fun when new artists pop up actually, keeps things interesting, and kinda sets musical periods in Sonic's history, to me anyway. Yeah it's always fun to see what Jun cooks up for some stage music, but I've heard him for 10 years or so now, I'm cool with some new angles and whatnot haha

• Thumbs Up 1

Regarding Crush 40, I'd actually love for them to have a presence again, but I think they'd need to alter their style a bit to suit the current direction of the series.

Sonic Heroes shows they're not oppose to fun, peppy songs.

His World shows they're not oppose to putting a strong techno presence into their song.

Knight of the Wind shows they're not oppose to combining orchestral instruments into their songs.

If you combined all three of these elements together, upbeat music with techno and orchestra, I feel they'd fit the current direction of the series just fine.

Is Tomoya Ohtani still a main composer?

Composed almost all of Lost World's level themes except Sugar Lane (that's by Naofumi Hataya) and did all of Runners.

I'd honestly love a return of the classic music from SA1-2. It was pretty enjoyable to listen to when you play the game.

Fumie Kumatani, composer of Theme of E-102r, Throw It All Away, Supporting Me..., Theme of Babylon Garden, High and Broken, Dive Into Gravity, Cool Edge - Night, Skyscraper Scamper - Day, among a bunch of other great themes for Sonic and other games, especially PSO.

She's been absent from SEGA's games since Sonic Colours (only composing the surprisingly uninspired cut-scene music for that game) and it makes me super sad coz I loved her stuff.

In case you weren't aware, they did re-appear as recently as Generations.  Circuit Freq., the group behind the remixes of Open Your Heart, Vengeance is Mine and For True Story, is composed either partially or entirely of members/former members (not sure exactly) of Julien-K.

Yes, but they made no music of Julien-K

Besides Crush 40? Hmm..what about Linkin Park or Nickelback?

Julien-k has done a song with the singer of Linkin Park, the Kick the bass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smWIilC2LAQ

But the music don't have any relationship with Sonic.

Edited by Marcelo Malaman

Since Naganuma was said already, I'd be down with another Spencer Nielsen soundtrack. Just to shake things up.

You want me to be absolutely honest? Because I've got a pretty strange one. You know who I'd love to see return? No joke?

Hunnid-P.

Yeah, the guy who did the raps for Knuckles stages in SA2.

https://youtu.be/xlAzX_d8DLk

I know the lyrics were uber-cheesey and kinda silly overall, but the vibe they produced for Knuckles as a character made him seem like the coolest motherchidna this side of Mobius.

https://youtu.be/UGC59jMQRB8

Also, I know the portrayal of Knuckles in recent media has been the writers' fault more than anything, but it's my very deep and far-fetched hope that getting this dude to do Knuckles' music again might restore his image somewhat. I dunno, maybe I'm just being hopeful.

Edited by Writer's Blah
Cannot embed videos
  • Thumbs Up 4