Awoo.

Overwatch

YoshiUnity

overwatch-heroes-background-blizzard-108

You know... Let's start this topic off with by saying that I don't have much history with Blizzard's titles. Not a single one. Warcraft? Starcraft? Diablo? I couldn't even lie to you cross-eyed to tell you that I knew the lore of those games... And it's not that they've never interested me, I'm totally willing to give them a go. But I've always seemed to brush them aside for something else. And being the crazy hobo that I am, money has always been tight for me... Also holding my "The End is Nigh!" sign and shouting at random people for no reason really fills up my schedule.

However, with all the cool titles Blizzard has made, I can say that on first sight, this title might be the first title that has clicked with me so sharply that I'm ready to put down that sign, stop shouting at random people, break into someone's house, find 60 bucks and buy this Day freaking one. And that game is their upcoming team based FPS of Heroes vs Villans... Overwatch. (Disclaimer: Do NOT shout at people for no reason... Oh! And -- uh -- don't make "The End is Nigh" signs.)

Wow... I have to say that I've had my eye on this title for quite some time, and the more I see it, the more I enjoy it. For those that don't know, the world of Overwatch is set in a futuristic time were an elite team of heroes kept a watchful eye out for villainy and kept the world safe from harm. Eventually, one thing lead to another and Overwatch disbanded, leaving most of it's heroes to do mercenary work.  Some still work as heroes, others get whatever they can get even if it's dirty work. And thus the game begins.

If you've heard of this game already, you probably know that it's Blizzard's take on the Team Fortress formula. Your own a team, and it's your duty to either attack or defend in whatever rules the game states. It has the two modes that you expect: Payload and Point capture. It also has character classes. But the one thing that really caught my eye was the characters you will be able to play has and how varied their moves will be.

You have a choice between 21 different characters, each belonging to a certain class but excelling at a specific need. There's the offense class made to enter the fray and raise all kinds of hell. The defense class which are better at holding their ground to keep enemies from proceeding. The support class that are the glue that holds the team together by healing them, giving them buffs and even giving other team nerfs to make them struggle. And the tank class which is a character that made to take a lot of hits, but depending on which character you choose, will function like a beefier character in any of the other classes.

The characters are really the stars of the show here. They are all brimming with personality, have awesome backstories and they all have an edge and special skills that make them play radically different from one character to the next. And I'm not just talking about how fast they are and how they shoot neither.  Here are a few examples. If you select Tracer, not only will you be able to to run fast and dual wield, but you can literally teleport ahead  and rewind yourself to a previous spot on your path to screw with your enemies aiming. If you select Winston, you are a big smart gorilla so you can take a lot of damage, but you also make defensive barriers for your teammates and go into a rage mode that increases your power and health, but make your melee only. And if you use D.Va, you basically became Titanfall, without the parkour, as you have a mech at your beck and call at anytime for heavy artillery and to detonate near enemies for heavy damage if things get hairy.

You get the idea. Shit will get crazy. But to get a better idea of how all the heroes work, here are some gameplay trailer that do a quick showcase of the characters and what they can do.

Gameplay 1 - Showcases some of the heroes that were revealed at the debut.

Gameplay 2: Showcases character that were revealed later.

Did that get you interested? Hopefully it at least made you eager to give this title a consideration. If you want to see more on the characters themselves here are some videos that shows off what they can do.

Tracer

Spoiler

Winston

Spoiler

Symmetra

Spoiler

Reaper

Spoiler

Widowmaker

Spoiler

Torbjorn

Spoiler

Pharah

Spoiler

Reinhardt

Spoiler

Bastion

Spoiler

Zenyatta

Spoiler

Hanzo

Spoiler

Mercy

Spoiler

Zarya

Spoiler

McCree

Spoiler

Soldier: 76

Spoiler

Lucio

Spoiler

Junkrat

Spoiler

Roadhog

Spoiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5URzijwRPfk

(Ability video only.)

Mei

Spoiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4hB88uMY8k

(Ability video only.)

D.Va

Spoiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN3TISLTVyc

(Ability video only.)

Genji

Spoiler

Overall, I’m definitely willing to bite.  Again, I’m not familiar with Blizzard, but I do know that they like adding content more to their games via Expansion Pack, DLC or whatever. So I’m expecting more content to come to this game overtime.

As for characters I’m willing try, I’ve never been much for a support class user, but I’m down for using Zenyatta as my main. Overall, I like the character’s design and how he works. I’m also leaning towards Solder: 76, Lucio, McCree, Trobjorn, Hanzo, Roadhog, Bastion, Genji, D.Va and Zarya. I might even give Mei a whirl just to torture people with Ice puns.

There’s plenty more info on the website just in case if this game is starting to wet your whistle. Its scheduled to be released Spring 2016 for the PS4, Xbox One and PC. A lot of people was expecting this to be Free to play, but Blizzard has confirmed that it will won’t be  - $40 for the basic game, $60 for the Origins Edition -- and those who pre-order will get a special Noire outfit for Widowmaker.

Here’s to hoping that this title will be great. And once I finally get a Ps4 or Xbox One, I’ll be sure to get this game. There a beta currently going on right now  that people can sign-up for on the game’s website, and if you’re lucky, you’ll be accepted… I wasn’t. Sad smiley face for oxymoronic exclamation!

Anyway, I think I covered quite a bit here… Feel free to share your opinion on the title… and once Spring 2016 comes around, I hope to see a healthy cord teammates to help and heads to shoot!

Discuss!

• Thumbs Up 3

(I didnt think we could have thread titles that long).

Looks cool, can't wait to see what blizzard can do with the FPS field.

(I didnt think we could have thread titles that long).

Looks cool, can't wait to see what blizzard can do with the FPS field.

Honestly, I'm just as surprised as you are. I've made some long ones before, but I was expecting to hit a limit somewhere.

But yeah! I'm looking forward to see what this game has to offer. I've seen plenty of beta footage for all of the characters and man it looks like a blast.

Edited by YoshiUnity

The fact that it's not free-to-play kind of turned me down.

But the fact that it's coming to Xbox One makes up for it I guess.

Basically looks like an even more diverse and expanded version of Team Fortress 2 meets League of Legends/DOTA2. I'm sold - even if I never play the game, the artstyle alone has me hooked!

I like how there's so much to choose.

So, how long you think Blizzard will wait before adding a character from this new IP into Heroes of the Storm?

So, how long you think Blizzard will wait before adding a character from this new IP into Heroes of the Storm?

If you get the Origins edition, it comes with Tracer for HotS keeeek

Oh and for anyone interested in some extra goodies, Overwatch will have more animated shorts coming in 2016

And also digital comic shorts!

https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch

Edited by YoshiUnity
  • Thumbs Up 1

man Hanzo and Geji story look interested. Gonna love some 76 lore too if it happen. it could be epic to see a tv show of it either.

My first time saw geji was like this. This is greyFox green!

Edited by Daisy-Fan

As long as it's not riddled with microtransactions, I'm interested. And since it's not free-to-play, maybe it won't have so many

As long as it's not riddled with microtransactions, I'm interested. And since it's not free-to-play, maybe it won't have so many

I've read that Blizzard is dodging that question like crazy :v 

As far as we know all the 21 characters + maps + modes + whatever on the release are available to you with only some skins added as a pre order bonus (so we can assume there will be more skins to be sold later on like seasonal costumes and whatnot). It remains to be seen if there will be new champions added later on that will require money to purchase (tho I don't see the problem with that).

My experience with Blizzard is only limited to Starcraft and the original Warcraft tho (both series that I really love) and most of the extra content there was either community made or delivered via expansion packs so I can't speak about how they handled things like WoW or Heroes of the Storm.

EDIT: Oh yeh, forgot to mention I'm looking forward to this game :u

It seems like it's a kinda unconventional shooter with all those auto aiming skills and that dragon that goes through walls (tho I haven't seen anyone get killed by it yet) so I'm curious about how it fares compared to more traditional ones like CSGO. (which has been on my "to buy" list for a long time...)

Edited by Velvet Reindeer

This game has my undivided attention just for the Characters alone, very well design both in appearance and gameplay. Definately has that Super hero feel to it.

And Tracer is a hotty.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, here's some good news! A big concern of Overwatch was if any extra content would costs extra. Well it has been confirmed that post-launch heroes and maps will be patched in for free!

@ 0:35

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 months later...

Here's a nice update from JesseCox that showcases the skins, poses, tags and etc for all the characters! It's a pretty long video, but there's a lot of good here!

Really wish the Beta was available to more people. This game looks incredibly fun.

• 1 month later...

So... small update.

Blizzard has recently announced Overwatch's release date-- May 24th. Not only that, but there's going to be an open beta from May 5th-9th; pre-order, and you and a friend can get early access starting on the 3rd.

Blizzard also plans on expanding the Overwatch universe outside the game in a manner similar to TF2 through not only the aforementioned animated shorts and digital comics, but a graphic novel subtitled First Strike that takes place during the Omnic Crisis and Overwatch's early days.

The first animated short (of four), "Recall", in which we witness the origins of Winston-- you know, the genetically-engineered gorilla scientist from the Moon-- as he struggles in the present day with the decision of recalling Overwatch agents as well as the sudden invasion of his lab in the abandoned Watchpoint: Gibraltar by agents from the evil organization Talon, premiered today exclusively for Xbox. And here it is!

(For those of you who aren't fans of the Xbox exclusivity, don't worry-- the short will be available on Overwatch's official YouTube soon.)

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the second short entitled "Alive". Focuses on Widowmaker.

I find this one better than the first one. The climax is very clever and really shows the kind of person Widowmaker is.

• Thumbs Up 1

I tryout the beta somewhere, saturday morning. And so far its very lovely, i can only say i put at least 30Minute of play and i did try Soldier,tracer and Widow only. but i do indeed find the Soldier very basic as playing him. maybe for any veteran shooter players? on open beta i could lovely try more tracer more! :3

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, New fan of this now. Loving this game! even though it can feel like a TF2 clone at times its a fun clone so I don't mind.

Been playing the beta, and holy crap it's been insanely fun! I really like what Blizzard is doing with the fun character variety, approachable competitive meta and emphasis on Teamwork. I really could see this being a good competitive game to play with a group of friends, and I'm definitely looking forward to picking it up in the Summer.

and I made a super cool play too if you wanna see it

• Thumbs Up 1

This game is really, REALLY fun. I was somewhat interested in it after watching Dunkey play it, and then I found out about the beta and gave it a shot. I love it! And hey look I got play of the game once:

https://mobile.twitter.com/itsameluigi1290/status/729029420237783040/video/1

Okay well actually I've gotten it 3 or 4 times but this is the only one I saved. XP

I started out as Widowmaker, but she wasn't very good at close range and I stopped being useful as her relatively quickly. I haven't played as everyone yet but Genji is my go-to character for now.

I really like Phara. She's like everything I wish the TF2 solly was and more. Bastion's pretty fun (and so is the Overwatch character named bastion) but I thought I would like Tracer a lot more than I did. She is definitely not as good for me as I thought she'd be.there's definitely one part about her i really like, though. D. Va is pretty okay, too. But my biggest issue with this game is that each and every character's voice acting and lines annoys me. I think they could have spent a little more time there.

I played a good load of games tonight on PS4 (I went from Level 0 to Level 8), and It was a load of fun. Only issues is I found some of the balancing between classes to be a bit too much, with certain classes having too many advantages and too few disadvantages to counteract them.