Awoo.

Overwatch

YoshiUnity

Good news, McCree fans! Here's that short you've been waiting for:

And if you like the lady he faces off with in this short, more good news: she's the 29th hero! Meet Ashe.

I really don't know how I feel about Ashe. She looks fun to play as, but the exact moment I shook my head and knew this probably wouldn't be good was the second I saw Rein and Brig together, and especially the close up reaction shot on Brig. Because just makes it exactly telling to me that Ashe is going to be yet another "band-aid" hero designed to try counter and fix the last overpowered band-aid hero - Brigette.

Every time Blizzard designs a hero to attempt to specifically counter a certain hero, they usually end up fucking the job up because they overpower it and make it stupidly hard to deal with for everyone. Brigette's design is the reason she is so OP for example. She was designed as a anti-dive solution, especially with her shield bash, but said ability mixed with her self-heal and shield made it insanely hard to deal with her for any class, let along the ones she was meant to counter.

tbh I'm just glad I got out of Overwatch when I did. The last thing this game needed is another god damned sniper.

The neverending complaint of Tumblr made me salty, but watching the update took that all away.

It was a very nice short.  Happy to see a familiar face. I wonder if this means they're going to use all the other characters in Recall one way or another. Oh, and hi Bob!

I used to imagine a hero with an individual AI attacking for you like that, nice too see Blizzard trying it out.

• The title was changed to Overwatch
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Overwatch has its 30th hero. Meet Baptiste, an ex-Talon combat medic who decided making the world a better place was an improvement over working for the bad guys:

• 2 months later...

I don't normally post about the seasonal events, especially with how honestly shit the Archives event was this year, but I feel this one is important, due to what it's going to bring in...

The third Overwatch anniversary event will be dropping tomorrow at around 7pm GMT/2pm EST. Beyond the fact it's really hard to believe this game is over three years old, it is also bringing in one of the features that will either make or break a lot of returning players who have been feeling completely burnt out with the game...

On top of the usual event skins, and cosmetics, the long awaited Workshop functionality will finally be hopping onto the final game, for every console. For those unaware - the workshop in essence is basically a simple programming tool that you can use to make your own game-modes in Overwatch, with a ton of cool ideas already having been made whilst it was on the PTR on PC. These game modes include the likes of Gun-Game (Swapping hero after a kill), a zombies like mode where players try to kill zombies, and will turn if killed themselves, a hide and seek mode, and much more.

In short, it's a far more evolved way to make your own custom games, like you might've done with simple stuff, like Hide and Seek, Hook Fishing, and the likes. Personally, I'm really excited to try it, as I hope to use it to update and evolve the old boss mode games I made with Reinhardt and Genji. 

• 4 weeks later...

New Baptiste short story's out: 

And that's not all we're getting that's related to the guy:

I didn't realize Baptiste was a thing until recently, but I see here he was revealed after Ashe, Bob, and Maya.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, SonicWind said:

Hero 31 has been revealed, and what the hell is going on here

Looks like another Moira smashed Tracer in Spiderverse.

There's a major change that should really be listed here, because it's got the potential to completely revamp the game and shock some life back into it again - 

A feature a lot of people have wanted for ages - 2-2-2 role queue. How you play your games will now be different - you'll queue up for a particular role that you want to play (DPS, Support, or Tank) and will be locked into that role for the duration of the game. Because of that, every game will be confirmed to have two healers, two tanks, and two DPS.

In order to combat low queue times, healers and tanks (often times - the two categories that get less attention) will get bonus loot boxes for subbing for them. Furthermore - for competitive play, you now have three different skill ratings for each role. You play five placements and you'll be placed based solely on the performance of that role. What this means is that if you're a highly skilled healer, but just an average DPS, you'll be ranked higher on healer, than you will be on DPS, and vice versa. This also allows you to practice your roles in skill settings that actually reflect your current skill level on a given role.

The 2-2-2 queue is currently on PTR, and is planned for a full-scale beta launch mid-august to early september, where a 2-2-2 comp season will be rolled out onto the main game to allow everyone to get to grips with it. After that, it will become the main mode for comp and Quick Play, and Arcade will gain a new mode (Quick Play Classic) which will be Quick Play as it currently is for those who don't want to play 2-2-2. 

Personally, as someone who's played Comp for every season so far, I can't fucking wait for this. So many games are ruined by complete jackasses who throw, or won't go healer/tank/what have you. It's not a perfect fix, but it's a step vastly in the right direction. It's getting a lot of positive buzz from what I can see too, and it also makes the game significantly more easier to balance now that you can't pick annoying cheesy comps a lot of the time anymore.

On 7/22/2019 at 2:08 PM, SonicWind said:

Hero 31 has been revealed, and what the hell is going on here

So I haven't been playing Overwatch in a while and admittedly none of my friends have been either, I kinda assumed we all dropped it, and after the announcement of Overwatch 2 I was kinda... done. He's um... eh? He reminds me of someone, and I can't quite place my finger on it. I don't know it certainly isn't making me want to go back to playing it anytime soon. 

12 hours ago, prettyinplague said:

So I haven't been playing Overwatch in a while and admittedly none of my friends have been either, I kinda assumed we all dropped it, and after the announcement of Overwatch 2 I was kinda... done. He's um... eh? He reminds me of someone, and I can't quite place my finger on it. I don't know it certainly isn't making me want to go back to playing it anytime soon. 

Being fair, Overwatch 2 hasn't officially been announced. Even then, a lot of people suspect that Overwatch 2 won't be a sequel, but rather a story-based PvE spinoff (since Blizzard previously said that PvE would require a total engine rework to make it not take so long to develop). So basically the original would remain as the PvP element, while the new game that was leaked is rumoured to be a PvE element.

• 1 month later...

Drops October 15th. Download only, because of course Activision is that cheap.

Also has gyro and motion controls.

I may triple dip into this for another smurf account to get some wady wins on from people trying to use gyro controls and lag from switch players playing undocked