Awoo.

The Curious Case of the Archie Graphic Novel and Reprint Delays and other GN Hyjinks (Sonic/Mega Man GN and Reprint Release Guide inside)

Ryannumber1gamer

Guys, it's obvious that Scrambled isn't releasing December 2016. 

If there was a remote chance it was coming out then, we'd have Babylon Rising out by now, or even just announced via redone solicits ala Worlds Unite Volume 1 and Waves of Change. 

Bump double post swing.

Just finished writing up the cliffnotes for the latest BKast, but as I was posting Ian's closing out announcements mentioned a resurgence of TPs coming up for Sonic. Not sure he's referring to the return of Waves of Change/Worlds Unite/Digest that just got announced or a bit more after that. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry if my post unnecessarily bumps this thread, but I was just reading the most recent Sonic Universe issue (#88). It's part 2 of 4, but it was so good that I started thinking about how I'd love to have it in graphic novel form once the story finishes. Then I remembered that we don't even have the Babylon Rising graphic novel yet, and those issues are almost five years old now!

If Archie starts releasing the Sonic Universe graphic novels again (which I really hope they do), they're going to be way far behind the currently-running issues. I can understand keeping them a bit behind the issues to discourage trade-waiting, but man that's a long time, especially since their multi-part stories are practically built for graphic novels. I don't fully understand Archie's reasoning for holding all the pre-reboot stuff (unless it's related to all that legal stuff), but if they can't release from Babylon forward, I really wish they'd at least skip ahead to the post-reboot stuff and catch these books up with the current main-series graphic novels. They could either start with Sonic Universe vol. 30 (or whatever it would be) or just reboot the line with new numbering like they did for the main graphic novels (this second option would be less confusing as far as lining the new universe graphic novels up with the new main graphic novels).

I just feel that it's a shame we're only getting one of the two books released in graphic novel form right now, and the book we're missing is in some ways the more interesting one.

/sigh

Sorry. I had to put all these thoughts somewhere.

On 7/22/2016 at 9:52 AM, Ernest-Panda said:

Late to the party, but I'll be pre-ordering that now, thank you.

Hmm, does seem a bit weird that the post-reboot Universe arcs aren't being capitalised on, but then again even the main comic GNs have only just reached Waves of Change. Maybe they're still deciding how to proceed given that covers for still-unreleased GNs were revealed so they might have to sort them out (read: Get them off Amazon etc) or something. 

Speaking of which, funny thing; The release date of Sonic Archives 25 is still pegged as July 28th 2016 on Amazon.co.uk (Clearly didn't happen). but apparently one person on 4chan has had an email saying that it's been delayed to January 1st 2035.

Archie put it out of its misery for goodness sake. 

• Thumbs Up 1

A really small part of me is hoping that, with the Archives, Universe, etc, they're just waiting until the Boom and WU books are out of the way.

...I also really want the Archives to be reformatted a bit when they return. Bump it up to six issues per book or something.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think it was Knuckles Archives that was first, although it may not have been related at all given the timeline for its demise. 

PS Sonic Boom volume 1 is now slated for September 7th. 

• Thumbs Up 1

NOTICE: Guide has been fully updated. New release dates added, spoiler glitch has been fixed, and some series have been placed on hiatus/cancelled status until more information regarding them is released. As of now, the only series considering as ongoing are...

Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic Super Digest

Worlds Unite

Sonic Comics Spectactular 

4 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

I think it was Knuckles Archives that was first, although it may not have been related at all given the timeline for its demise. 

PS Sonic Boom volume 1 is now slated for September 7th. 

Source please? Amazon is still listing it as 27th and I want to be sure before editing.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

A really small part of me is hoping that, with the Archives, Universe, etc, they're just waiting until the Boom and WU books are out of the way.

that's some real optimism you have going on there, Ernest-Panda. Those two books could leave a gap that could theoretically be filled with other things when they're done. It would be cool if you're right.

8 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

...I also really want the Archives to be reformatted a bit when they return. Bump it up to six issues per book or something.

just so long as they're not cutting off in the middle of a story arc or something.

4 minutes ago, Borvoc said:

just so long as they're not cutting off in the middle of a story arc or something.

Don't be silly! What kind of graphic novel series would do that?

57c6e10a1e1037b0f3c05027c91c7c84.jpg

...oh...

• Thumbs Up 2

I've been recently collecting the pre-reboot graphic novels because the prices on eBay for individual issues... No thanks. Any chances of Sonic Archives, Sonic Universe, and Sonic Saga Series coming back? I know the Knuckles Archives are dead in the water due to legal issues and that's a shame because it only had two volumes left to complete the collection and Sonic Legacy Series most likely suffered the same fate.

Knuckles Archive might (emphasis on might) have ironically been cancelled because of issues not related to the legal case. It's everything else (Sonic Archive, Saga, Universe) that seem like they're canned due to legal issues. 

That's a bummer, but I have a feeling that Sonic Universe might be the likely one of the three to come back. If legal issues are preventing them from releasing the story arcs following Scrouge: Lockdown, then they can kinda reboot the line and not have numbering, instead just giving it a title like "Sonic Universe: Pirate Plunder Panic" and "Sonic Universe: The Great Chaos Caper". The idea is to just name the graphic novels by the story arcs that they're collecting without worrying about volume number. But some people might get confused so it probably won't work. If neither of them come back, then I guess I'll have to go digital for the issues I don't have.

Legacy is 100% dead. They didn't even bother to release the fourth book physically (to this day you can only buy it digitally). Said book had no preview for a fifth book at the back and it told the reader to pick up the story where it left off in the Archives. Plus Ben Bates went ahead and shared the rough sketch for what book 5's cover would've been.

So I just got StH vol.3 (yeah... after 2 weeks...) and now I can compere it (from technical standpoint) and I see that it has a different type of paper used for it. A carbon paper. So can I ask why Volume 2 has a different type paper?

17 minutes ago, Kfarc said:

So I just got StH vol.3 (yeah... after 2 weeks...) and now I can compere it (from technical standpoint) and I see that it has a different type of paper used for it. A carbon paper. So can I ask why Volume 2 has a different type paper?

Archie has had a bad habit of switching up the materials for their graphic novels on a whim. The cover materials for Sonic Archives in particular fluctuated wildly.

On 8/15/2016 at 0:07 PM, LargoDELLZ said:

That's a bummer, but I have a feeling that Sonic Universe might be the likely one of the three to come back. If legal issues are preventing them from releasing the story arcs following Scrouge: Lockdown, then they can kinda reboot the line and not have numbering, instead just giving it a title like "Sonic Universe: Pirate Plunder Panic" and "Sonic Universe: The Great Chaos Caper". The idea is to just name the graphic novels by the story arcs that they're collecting without worrying about volume number. But some people might get confused so it probably won't work. If neither of them come back, then I guess I'll have to go digital for the issues I don't have.

I'm telling ya, man, I made the jump to digital because I was sick of waiting for the graphic novels (I was nervous to take the plunge, but I did it) and I haven't looked back. It's great having just about every issue of the book's 20+ year history at my fingertips, no waiting. Unless you're one who needs to have a physical copy of your reading materials, I'd HIGHLY recommend it.

Ironically, being able to get 20+ years history at your fingertips is what's putting the comic in its entirety in danger. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

I'm telling ya, man, I made the jump to digital because I was sick of waiting for the graphic novels (I was nervous to take the plunge, but I did it) and I haven't looked back. It's great having just about every issue of the book's 20+ year history at my fingertips, no waiting. Unless you're one who needs to have a physical copy of your reading materials, I'd HIGHLY recommend it.

Usually I'm the type that prefers having a physical copy of what I'm reading, but in this instance, I'm making the exception. The reason being is that going for physical copies of Sonic in the 100's on eBay and seeing the prices for a set is way too much. With the app, I'm only getting the issues that I don't have in a collected paperback. For example when I started, I bought from Sonic #92 because I had volume 24 of the Sonic Archives which ended at #91 and then I would continue up until #162 because I have the Sonic Saga Series up until the Bold New Moebius arc. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

GODDAMNIT ARCHIE.

I SHOULD'VE FUCKING KNEW YOU'D SKIP OVER THE REMAINING ARCS.

*sigh* 

Updated.

And there goes my hopes of Scrambled/Secret Freedom getting physical releases.

At least Post-SGW arcs are getting realesed. 

Do you think that this date is a place holder or an actual one?

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

GODDAMNIT ARCHIE.

*sigh* 

Updated.

And that's why I just bought the full Chaotix Quest set on eBay. 

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

GODDAMNIT ARCHIE.

*sigh* 

Updated.

Honestly, I gave up hope on those a long time ago, regardless of how much a shame it is not to have Chaotix Quest make the cut.  Any anger subsided way back.