Awoo.

The Curious Case of the Archie Graphic Novel and Reprint Delays and other GN Hyjinks (Sonic/Mega Man GN and Reprint Release Guide inside)

Ryannumber1gamer

4 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

1) YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAAY! 2) Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww 3) While I understand where they're coming from by going to the post-reboot stuff, they should've started this alongside the new Sonic GNs.

I honestly think the best choice for Archie is to just release the post-reboot and Boom stuff, and delay the pre-reboot comics at least until their money issues are solved, and the copyright and royalties are all fixed up.

• Thumbs Up 4

As a reader who doesn't buy single issues, and relies completely on trades to get my fix, I'm thrilled that I finally won't have to miss out on post reboot Sonic Universe.

On the other hand I'm pretty bummed out that this is another one of the many signs that we won't see the rest of the series collected.

So, what are the odds of the May 2017 release date being a placeholder, and the actual release being a bit sooner?  I waited so long for Waves of Change, I was hoping I wouldn't be waiting as long for more.

3 minutes ago, pocket said:

As a reader who doesn't buy single issues, and relies completely on trades to get my fix, I'm thrilled that I finally won't have to miss out on post reboot Sonic Universe.

On the other hand I'm pretty bummed out that this is another one of the many signs that we won't see the rest of the series collected.

So, what are the odds of the May 2017 release date being a placeholder, and the actual release being a bit sooner?  I waited so long for Waves of Change, I was hoping I wouldn't be waiting as long for more.

Maybe this'll be like the Sonic Sagas of Universe, but without legal issues. Meaning that there will probably be releases of Universe Sagas while Universe is still going.

I think that maybe they'll just delay the pre-reboot comics for until the mess with Penders and that other dude are cleaned up, or maybe until they have enough money to start releasing the pre-reboot stuff.

Glad I won't have to wait for forever to get to the post-reboot Universe comics for when I start reading all of that.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know if it's the right place but...

I realized that Archie's Twitter was encuoraging people to read backlog Mega Man issues in their app. Last time he was mentioned on twitter was alongside Sonic, promoting Worlds Unite GNs. Maybe Blue Bomber is coming back? (Plz, issue 56 and Master Edition)

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/30/2016 at 5:10 AM, Kfarc said:

I don't know if it's the right place but...

I realized that Archie's Twitter was encuoraging people to read backlog Mega Man issues in their app. Last time he was mentioned on twitter was alongside Sonic, promoting Worlds Unite GNs. Maybe Blue Bomber is coming back? (Plz, issue 56 and Master Edition)

That would be nice. If you listen to the bumblekast, you know that Ian Flynn has several secret projects in the works, so one can only wonder what they are. Could be that none of them is even related to Archie, but you never know.

This whole copyright thing is getting out of hand. If I had written anything for Archie in the past, I think I'd be tempted to sign whatever I needed to right now to give them ownership to all my stuff. Then I'd reach out to Ian and give him my blessing (and nudge him to reintroduce my stuff in the current run :P). All this money stuff from years ago should really be water over the bridge (is that how you say it?) by now, and I don't think attacking publishers for stuff that happened a long time ago is a good way of attracting future publishers.

22 minutes ago, SonicEkkusu said:

Um... I was trying to find brand new copies of Sonic Archives 24 and Best of Sonic the Hedgehog Comics: Ultimate Edition, but their prices appear to have inflated to about $90-$110. Anybody know why this is? I swear these comics came out just about a year ago! I can get older graphic novels brand new for much cheaper! O_O

Are you looking through Amazon?

They're probably out of print (can't say for sure, I might ask the next time I go to my local shop for curiosity's sake since I learned that was the case with the Mega Man trades a while back) and/or people are banking on whatever panic the Fulop case is likely causing over the future of old continuity reprints.

Too early to say, honestly, but those are the first thoughts that crossed my mind.

You may want to check a local comic shop or bookstore and see what their stock is like. You might find a couple copies of the books you're looking for.

Well, about archives 24 I can say it's pretty certain to find one. I got mine kind of by coincidence because my friend was working in a bookstore and got it for me after someone who ordered it didn't want to buy it. Mate said it couldn't be ordered anymore and that was about half a year ago. I'm not certain about the other one though, but for the archives 24, I'm pretty certain they can only be found if in some comic shop has them buried under shelves or something. By ordering, you wont get them in any way, they've run out of them from even in the Archie's own site.       

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hope this isn't the wrong place to ask, but I got my copy of Sonic Boom vol 1 today ( first time even reading the SB comic ), and when they made passing reference to Sonic X, it reminded me of the old Sonic X comic. Last I heard, Sega forbid them from reprinting it, I think to avoid some kind of brand confusion?

With Sonic X getting a DVD release soon, does this mean that there's a possibility that Sega would lift the embargo on Sonic X?  Or are there some other issues that could keep Archie from reprinting besides just Sega forbidding it?

Apparently there are some rights issues with it, one that a re-release of a show wouldn't solve for a comic.

Moreso than anything else, Sonic X being re-released on DVD again =/= SEGA having a renewed interest in it. The distribution rights to Sonic X are beyond SEGA's scope now. 

17 hours ago, pocket said:

I hope this isn't the wrong place to ask, but I got my copy of Sonic Boom vol 1 today ( first time even reading the SB comic ), and when they made passing reference to Sonic X, it reminded me of the old Sonic X comic. Last I heard, Sega forbid them from reprinting it, I think to avoid some kind of brand confusion?

With Sonic X getting a DVD release soon, does this mean that there's a possibility that Sega would lift the embargo on Sonic X?  Or are there some other issues that could keep Archie from reprinting besides just Sega forbidding it?

One reason for Archie not to make any reprints even if it would be approved by Sega /other involving parties could be reprints wouldn’t (possibly/supposedly) have large enough of group of buyers to actually buy them, I suppose. I personally would be interested of reprints though…  

If Knuckles Archives could exist (before the legal mess, naturally, and before its decline), the Sonic X comic has more than enough viability to have a reprint series. The comic was still selling well when it was cancelled in favour of Sonic Universe, the only reason it stopped was because Archie decided Sonic X was now irrelevant. 

But again, SEGA barring it, legal problems with reprinting it, so still not likely. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, likely nothing, but Amazon UK has Dawn of X listed as releasing February 2017. 

112 pages is about the standard for Archie's trades, but remember "The Next Level" is a double-sized issue (techincally around thirty pages compared to the "Mega Drive's" twenty). Could mean there may, at least, be a part three, or there could be a ton of extras?

Just now, Zaysho said:

112 pages is about the standard for Archie's trades, but remember "The Next Level" is a double-sized issue (techincally around thirty pages compared to the "Mega Drive's" twenty). Could mean there may, at least, be a part three, or there could be a ton of extras?

I doubt there's 62 pages of extras.

On ‎23‎.‎10‎.‎2016 at 9:41 PM, Zaysho said:

And:

On ‎23‎.‎10‎.‎2016 at 9:42 PM, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

I doubt there's 62 pages of extras.

Well, wasn't that third/last(?) part (they just confirmed) going to get 10 extra pages, not sure if you did count those in or not (less pages for unknown material)? The only thing I'd like to know now would be compared to what? 1st or 2nd part? 

Maybe filling's going to be some artwork from the planning phase or something... Most likely possibility I think...

This automatic down-scrolling is giving me a headache...

Next Level isn't the only Sonic-related thing coming out this week: Worlds Unite volume 2 is also out and the Archie App has put up the first few pages, including the contents.

The two Battle stories for this book are "Sonic Man vs the Robot Masters" and "Sticks vs Roll (but a footnote in volume 1 stated "Maverick Hunters vs. Vile" would be in this one. Oops)

Also the bonus story from MM#50, "The Choice" is being printed here too.