Awoo.

The Curious Case of the Archie Graphic Novel and Reprint Delays and other GN Hyjinks (Sonic/Mega Man GN and Reprint Release Guide inside)

Ryannumber1gamer

^ Somehow I feel that cover doesn't sit too well with the others considering how it's divided into parts unlike the ones used for the earlier GNs. They could use some other cover as the final version for consistency's sake.

That volume collects #276-279, right?

In which case, #277 and #279 are too specific to the specific issues they're for, and #276 is just really plain and not reflective of the volume title. #278 is the best one to use really. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh well, I suppose. It just probably needs some time to grow on me I suppose. :rolleyes:

One thing I'm happy about though is how "Waves of Change" has a better paper on it than "The Chase" had. At least I think so, that roughy-lightweight paper it and "The Dark Mirror" etc. have isn't really my thing...

53 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

That volume collects #276-279, right?

In which case, #277 and #279 are too specific to the specific issues they're for, and #276 is just really plain and not reflective of the volume title. #278 is the best one to use really. 

You forgot 272, since I doubt there'd be room for it in "Champions".

Which has just made me realise they obviously have no intention of including SU#75, even though that'd be convenient.

• Thumbs Up 1

^ It would make sense if they'd include it in that GN, at least for the readers. On the other hand, if they want to sell more stuff, one way is to scatter everything in all those different reprint-centered series they've got. But that would probably lead to the point where people are pretty much stopping buying because everything's so scattered, so...

Yeah, I pretty much agree it would make sense, and considering all those Comic Origins reprints in the GN before it would't be even that hard to imagine. Either they're not putting SU #75 in there and are still putting StH #272 in there or something else, like not putting either in there but pulling some kind of a strange stunt with this all... But I suppose that won't be the case in here. Maybe  #75 will be in on one of those new Universe Saga GN's or something.  

39 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

^ It would make sense if they'd include it in that GN, at least for the readers. On the other hand, if they want to sell more stuff, one way is to scatter everything in all those different reprint-centered series they've got. But that would probably lead to the point where people are pretty much stopping buying because everything's so scattered, so...

Yeah, I pretty much agree it would make sense, and considering all those Comic Origins reprints in the GN before it would't be even that hard to imagine. Either they're not putting SU #75 in there and are still putting StH #272 in there or something else, like not putting either in there but pulling some kind of a strange stunt with this all... But I suppose that won't be the case in here. Maybe  #75 will be in on one of those new Universe Saga GN's or something.  

It's incredibly unlikely that it'd be in a Universe Saga book since it's an odd issue out from the arcs and the books will only have enough room for four issues.

9 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda-Baring-Gifts said:

It's incredibly unlikely that it'd be in a Universe Saga book since it's an odd issue out from the arcs and the books will only have enough room for four issues.

Well that could be, even when SU GN #2 had that Penders' 25YL stuff on it as an "overweight", which wasn't a whole issue long so well (but it wouldn't be entirely alien concept after all). Maybe it's going to be left out entirely (worst possibility I could come up with) or put into somewhere else. Does someone by the way know what's "Champions" GN eaten? It could be in there, couldn't it? Or not, I can't remember how the timeline goes for these two issues.

Just now, Ernest-Panda-Baring-Gifts said:

"Champions" > "Ray of Hope" (StH#272) > "Fury" (SU#75)

And "Champions is a full four-parter anyway, so no.

Thanks a lot, I wasn't too sure since it's been a while when I last read those. ^_^ 

Oh jeez, how I miss the times stuff didn't feel so forced into one certain lenght. Like when one GN could end with a start of the stuff happening mostly in the next issue. I just wonder what they'll come up with that StH issue that comes out in February (supposedly), considering it looks like a one-shot... 

the countdown to chaos graphic novel don't have 5 full stories in it ? if i recall correctly it covers #252 - #256

Let's find out...

...It seems so.

Sometimes GN's tend to have a bit more stuff in them than just 4 stories, be it half ones or whole issue worth of stories. Which is why I'm not that sure about anything considering this at all.

It depends what comes after it. It could end up being three more one-shots, a one-shot and a two-parter, a two-parter and a one shot, a three-parter, heck, it could even be two one-shots and a two-parter, since this new volume has proven that they are willing to make exceptions for them.

...wait, it's just occurred to me that the volumes after this one will be uneven, assuming volume 6 is #272, #276-#278.

Volume 7 would consist of "Face of the Enemy: Part 2", "Keys to Victory" and both parts of "Wings of Fire" along with their accompanying back-up stories, which isn't so bad.

But then Volume 8 would have... "The Misson"/"Zero Hour" and the first three parts of "Panic in the Sky".

Then Volume 9 would give us part 4 of "Panic" and "Genesis of a Hero" parts 1-3", and so on...

7 minutes ago, NikoS said:

the countdown to chaos graphic novel don't have 5 full stories in it ? if i recall correctly it covers #252 - #256

That is true, but I believe that volume somehow had more pages in them. If I recall right, it was one of the last volumes released before the cutbacks at Archie began.

• Thumbs Up 1

AHA! I cracked it! I've figured out how they could balance the contents in Volumes 6 and 7

VOLUME 6

OVERALL PAGE COUNT: 120
CONTENTS:
Chapter 1:
-"Ray of Hope" (StH#272) (20)
Chapter 2:
-"Cold-Hearted" (StH#276) (10)
-"Back in Business" (StH#276) (10)
Chapter 3:
-"Thunder, Rain and Lightning" (StH#277) (10)
Chapter 4:
-"Hidden Costs: Part 1" (StH#277) (10)
-"Hidden Costs: Part 2" (StH#278) (10)
-"Hidden Costs: Part 3" (StH#279) (10)
Chapter 5:
-"Face of the Enemy: Part 1"(StH#278) (10)
COMIC PAGE TOTAL: 90
PAGES LEFT OVER: 30

VOLUME 7
OVERALL PAGE COUNT: 120 (assumed)
CONTENTS:
Chapter 1:
-"Face of the Enemy: Part 2" (StH#279) (10)
Chapter 2:
-"Keys to Victory" (StH#280) (10)
Chapter 3:
-"Wings of Fire: Part 1" (StH#281) (10)
Chapter 4:
-"Wings of Fire: Part 2" (StH#282) (10)
Chapter 5:
-"A Special Occassion" (StH#280) (10)
-"Homesick" (StH#281) (10)
-"Shards and Sparks" (StH#282) (10)
Chapter 6:
-"The Mission" (StH#283) (10)
-"Zero Hour" (StH#283) (10)
  • Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Ernest-Panda-Baring-Gifts said:

AHA! I cracked it! I've figured out how they could balance the contents in Volumes 6 and 7

Reveal hidden contents

VOLUME 6

CONTENTS:
Chapter 1:
Chapter 2:
Chapter 3:
Chapter 4:
Chapter 5:

VOLUME 7
CONTENTS:
Chapter 1:
Chapter 2:
Chapter 3:
Chapter 4:
Chapter 5:
Chapter 6:

That sounds needlessly complicated.  Also,

5 hours ago, Ernest-Panda-Baring-Gifts said:

"Champions" > "Worlds Unite Prequel: Into the Unknown" > "Ray of Hope" (StH#272) > "Fury" (SU#75)

Fixed.  Honestly, what I'd do if I were in charge is make the eventual "Sonic Universe Sagas Volume 6: The Silver Age" super-sized by adding the three aforementioned stories (since WUP also continues from that arc chronologically) and just label the whole thing as a "Worlds Unite Prequel", which The Silver Age arc kinda is (it doesn't really mesh well with the rest of the Shattered World Crisis).  Plus it'd make the most sense in terms of reading order.

I'd also add Nicole's origin story to the Spark of Life GN, Snively's origin story to the Total Eclipse GN, and Razor's origin story to the Planetary Pieces GN just those stories can have some form of GN re-release.

Wouldn't Razor's work better as a prelude in the Case of the Pirate Princess GN that would eventually come out? That arc does tackle his backstory directly. 

• Thumbs Up 2

41 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Wouldn't Razor's work better as a prelude in the Case of the Pirate Princess GN that would eventually come out? That arc does tackle his backstory directly. 

Indeed it would!  I didn't even think of that arc since I haven't been keeping up with Sonic Universe lately.  I only chose Planetary Pieces because the scenes of Sonic and Razor hanging out allegedly takes place during those stories according to the timeline on Mobius Encyclopedia.   But your choice and reasoning makes much more sense!

As a mod of ME and as the one placed it there to begin with, I should reaffirm that it is speculation. There's no official word as to where that takes place, so we place them according to when they where released and when they where most likely to take place during it's release window (if memory serves, it came out smack dab in the middle of the two "Face of the Enemy" parts, meaning it would either have to have occurred before or after).

@andrewtuell1991 It's really not. If you were to rearrange all those stories in publishing order, you'll find that all I really did was split #279 in half.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, at some point I entertained myself with an idea about how interesting it would've been if Razor's stuff would've been in the end of the 3rd StH GN. But well, I suppose the now ongoing SU arc would make more sense having it in it's GN since the backstory in there would give readers better grasp on about the relationships between Razor and "his fellow crewmates". As in they had a breakdown.

On ‎4‎.‎12‎.‎2016 at 0:30 AM, Ernest-Panda-Baring-Gifts said:

Reveal hidden contents

VOLUME 6

CONTENTS:
Chapter 1:
Chapter 2:
Chapter 3:
Chapter 4:
Chapter 5:

VOLUME 7
CONTENTS:
Chapter 1:
Chapter 2:
Chapter 3:
Chapter 4:
Chapter 5:
Chapter 6:

Good one. Oh, that seems like we're getting either other stories in them too (like that SU #75, sorry if this is becoming a broken record...) or lots of "bonus material". Are they planning on showing in all those variants that won't even be from the covers of the stories actually printed (WU variants)? Or putting half the script in there as in script? If they'd put one more story (~20 pages) in there there would be space for the obligatory filling too, I suppose?

Well, it seems that Volume 6 now has a description, including its contents:

"Planetary Pieces": Sonic and the Freedom Fighters race across their broken world to save it from the evil Dr. Eggman!  Can they locate all of the sacred Gaia Temples in time?  This volume collects Sonic the Hedgehog #272, 276-279.

Guess that means Volume 7 will probably just contain the last 4 issues before "Panic in the Sky".

• Thumbs Up 1

^ Meh, this means SU #75 will either be in somewhere else or not in any GN, at least for the time being. It seems more and more like it won't make it to the GNs, I suppose.

If Universe #75 is featured in any graphic novel, it's more likely to be added to one of the Universe Saga GNs. But even then, the only one I could see it fitting in with would be "The Silver Age" (maybe "Spark of Life" at an absolute stretch).

Well, "The Silver Age" seems more possible since the storys plot and all. Maybe it would be the Epilogue of sorts for that GN, since that happened (to Silver) after all that stuff right?

I'm legitimately surprised they didn't get desperate enough to try cut #272, FCBD 2016, MM #49, and SU #75 and try to call it Worlds Unite Volume 0: The Prologue 

• Thumbs Up 2

So, for fun, how about we take a look at how far they got with the Mega Man solicts before they delayed everything.

U8fOxyD.jpg

The final GN solict also happened to be one of the best arcs.