Awoo.

The Curious Case of the Archie Graphic Novel and Reprint Delays and other GN Hyjinks (Sonic/Mega Man GN and Reprint Release Guide inside)

Ryannumber1gamer

31 minutes ago, SonicEkkusu said:

Archie needs to cut the crap and just release their graphic novels. It's been over a year since the last Archives was released. 

If Archie's having money troubles, they could just start another Kickstarter. They could just tell us that it's gonna help the comics and graphic novels get released sooner. There's no point in trying to stay in business with all the money trouble, so just start another Kickstarter. It's not hard at all. Be truthful, don't come across as greedy, and explain why they need the money.

Honestly, digital's even having the same issues, so starting a Kickstarter would probably be the best move. With the Penders planning a second lawsuit, Archie needs the money. If Penders strikes them while they're weak, they're done. I hate to admit it, but if they don't get everything straightened out, then Archie comics is gonna die.

Archie did explain why they were doing the kickstarter, though. IIRC, Goldwater actually did an interview about it and explained what the plan was when the Kickstarter had begun. That didn't stop a couple of comic book store owners (or at least one particular shop owner that already had a thing against them because, gasp, trade collections are mass market and sell in bookstores) from throwing a fit and Archie choosing to back down over it. They were getting pledges, even, but they decided it was better to not continue and take it out of their other imprints.

Stop with the fear-mongering nonsense. There was enough of that already in the Archie thread proper during the two-month delay and Archie staying quiet about that. As for Penders, I'm not sure what's going on with that new lawsuit, but what I do know is that he's only seeking royalties for digital reprints on their new app. Odds are that will just be settled if it hasn't already and Archie's just going to be paying for that like they have been already for comiXology and, I presume, the trade collections.

Nope, there were plenty of donations. They stopped because their business partners threw a fit over it.

Just now, SonicEkkusu said:

I guess, but I'm just worried. I know nothing about what's going on in their headquarters, and them keeping tight-lipped about it doesn't help.

Maybe you're right. I could be worried over nothing.

One thing I wonder about is if SEGA wanted to avoid doing a bunch of Archie comics last year since Sonic Boom did horribly, and everything was silent in 2015.

If you mean the Sonic Boom comic: no, it didn't do "horribly". The series was selling pretty well. Archie decided to stop the comic for internal reasons.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, SonicEkkusu said:

One thing I wonder about is if SEGA wanted to avoid doing a bunch of Archie comics last year since Sonic Boom did horribly, and everything was silent in 2015.

Are you talking about the Boom comics? Those actually did pretty well from what I saw of the sales. Archie canceled the on-going roughly around the same time the Kickstarter got canceled and announced it'd continue on in their Digest magazines. This was around the same time Mega Man's hiatus was announced. Those were the most obvious books affected by them cutting things out of their imprints.

Also ninja'd

Edited by Zaysho

If the comics suffered everytime Sega released a bad game, it would've ended a decade ago.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

Subscriber question...has anyone gotten their new issues in the mail yet since the end of this unannounced hiatus?  It's been 2 weeks now since #279 released and I still haven't gotten it in yet.  I could have grabbed it on my usual comic run if I knew it would have taken this long.

9 minutes ago, chaosjam said:

Subscriber question...has anyone gotten their new issues in the mail yet since the end of this unannounced hiatus?  It's been 2 weeks now since #279 released and I still haven't gotten it in yet.  I could have grabbed it on my usual comic run if I knew it would have taken this long.

I've got it. If it doesn't come soon you might want to contact them.

5 hours ago, chaosjam said:

I got mine in the mail a few days ago.

Yup, I got #279 in the mail the other day. (I don't subscribe to Sonic Universe at the moment.)

The preview pages for the new Digest have just come out. There's no new story, for those who were wondering.

Got Super Digest 16 and, dear God, you can tell the delays of the main comics really did a number on this issue: there are grand total of just 5 issues worth of reprints (issues 5 and 6 of Sonic Boom, Silver Age part 2, the Lost World tie-in, and Spark of Life part 4).

Oh, there are still the same amount of pages. They've just been filled with shitloads of pin-ups and "colouring" pages (said colouring pages consisting of 2D Sega stockart).

Toward the end of the book we get something that's actually pretty cool: a two-page "Shattered World Crisis Checklist" with a gallery of all the Sonic and Universe covers post-reboot (minus the Worlds Unite issues).

The next issue preview is at the back as always and, unless it's only a placeholder, we're in for another stock-art-tastic cover, and they don't tell us anything about the contents (I was expecting a 25th anniversay special or something D: )

EDIT: for some reason the checklist leaves out the Silver Age covers.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to break it to the Mega Man fans, but the Master Edition has vanished from Amazon (US). The only Mega Man-related books still up are the Worlds Unite books.

Just now, Ernest-Panda said:

I hate to break it to the Mega Man fans, but the Master Edition has vanished from Amazon (US). The only Mega Man-related books still up are the Worlds Unite books.

Archie's just a complete fucking disaster at this point.

1 hour ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Well I suppose that explains why it wasn't there in the last round of solicits...

Can't say that's a good sign at all, and it seems they were finally kind of getting it back together with trade releases even when they silently canceled a few of them.

10 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

Well I suppose that explains why it wasn't there in the last round of solicits...

Can't say that's a good sign at all, and it seems they were finally kind of getting it back together with trade releases even when they silently canceled a few of them.

Actually I'm pretty it was in the solicits a few months back. We are actually more or less around the time it was meant to be released if memory serves.

Ah. You're right. (source from Archie's website)

I would've thought it might have gotten moved up and received a new date the way other releases have gotten recently. Guess not?

Great. We're only about...3 weeks or so over the release date?

Honestly Archie, what the actual fuck? I can understand maybe a few issues with Sonic's GNs because Penders, but you're fucking nonsense over the Mega Man GNs have absolutely shit all excuse.

Just now, SonicEkkusu said:

Most of Archie's designs look different. Shouldn't he look more like this?

Archie_Button.jpg

Those first images of Archie look like high school dramas.

The series was rebooted last year into a more realistic version, and in general, is much better than the original in my opinion.