Awoo.

Shadow the Hedgehog: 10th Anniversary Remastered Edition Except not really this is just a topic about the game don't worry

Wraith

And I'm not denying that, just affirming that it shows that even after the severe critical backlash of Shadow, they still seemed convinced that they had something really special going with Shadow.

Honestly, some of those vehicles would have been worthwhile...eh, at least the hovercraft and the glider. The Jeep and the Motorcycle tho, they should've really known better to give when Shadow could move as fast as Sonic...

To be fair with the green blood thing, if it was red the rating could've been bumped up, something they probably wanted to avoid. I mean, even with the darker direction and all that, they were still aiming for younger audiences. It was even one of the first E10+ games, or that's how I remember it at least.

Anyway, this damn game....heheheheheehehehehe get it, because they say "damn" a lot...topical humour....what do you mean people beat me to joking about that?

It's been a while since I last revisited this game. I'd say it was about two or three years ago, maybe? I already wasn't a huge fan of the game, and nothing really changed in that regard, but I will say that the only thing that really pisses me off is the story. Sure there's lots to say about the gameplay, but I don't think it's all bad. Who knows though, maybe if I played it again right now I'd just hate everything.

For what it's worth, I can safely say I was never really bothered by the "defeat all the enemies" or "find 5 or so things" missions, with a few exceptions*. That being said, it would have been nice if there was a lot more variety in missions, and if they had been more reasonable with some of the most tedious ones.

*The Artificial Chaos mission. Why.

To be fair with the green blood thing, if it was red the rating could've been bumped up, something they probably wanted to avoid. I mean, even with the darker direction and all that, they were still aiming for younger audiences. It was even one of the first E10+ games, or that's how I remember it at least.

That's exactly the problem.  The game is essentially the video game incarnation of a YouTube commentor that tries to be badass and then censors their profanity with asterisks.  They want to be mature and dark, but they can't even let the game get a T. rating.  It's just laughable, not to mention illogical because children play T-rated games all the time.  Super Smash Bros. Melee had been released for four years at the time and wasn't any worse off, from what I call, for having the Teen rating, while being filled with a plethora of beloved, child-friendly game mascots.

Edited by Tara
  • Thumbs Up 7

I kinda wanna see a remastered version.

And it's funny; I was thinking about how it seemed like it was only yesterday I was pumped for the game, looking forward to it and all. Even counting the days until it released. Where does the time go?

• Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't mind a remastered edition if they took out some of the bad missions like...ARC/MARIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... Yeah you all know what I'm talking about.

So now it's ten years since the dark age of Sonic started

I played this game first time earlier this year and it's pretty hard to say that how good/bad it is. Like most of the 3D sonics this game has some thing I really like and some things I really hate.

Things I like:

Basic gameplay. As someone who really likes Heroes this is not so bad. Guns are great way to kill enemies and those chaos-meters are quite interesting, even if in missions Chaos control is useless. Vehicles are not that good but they are optional. As long as I'm only getting to an end of the stage I can have fun.

Some of the music. Most of the song are forgottable but there are some of them I really like.

Things I don't like:

Missions. I don't mind them in Heroes but here they are much worse, because while Heroes only really had two missions where the amount of objects were big and you had to destroy all of them, here most of the missions are like that. Also level desing is a problem. While in Heroes those two levels were pretty straightforwardhere they can be very maze-like, especially Lost Impact and Mad matrix. Thankfully all the worst missions are skippable.

Structure: Play 1st level ten times to get the real ending. In Heroes it was not that good but it doesn't even compare to this. Especially because the whole last story makes the games whole branching pathway concept entirely worthless.

Bosses: I honestly think this game has the worst bosses in the entire 3D series even if Colours comes close.

Graphics: Yeah, the Heroes-models don't fit with the games dark graphic-style

Story: Worst part of the game, I guess that writer only watched the last story cutscenes of SA2 because there are just so many plotholes, both new and those which come when you consider SA2s story. Also the which was suppose to explain Shadows past raises much more questions than it solves. Also the story isn't made to follow the games structure, making the story even more confusing. And last, this game just made me wish that Shadow would had just stayed dead. He is the only major character in the series (beside Knuckles to a certain extent) who has a real backstory and this game destroyed it and made me just not care about Shadow as a character at all.

In the end, this game is bad but it's not without it's merits.

I would argue that this game didn't destroy anything story wise for shadow, heck I like shadow's story being more related aliens than anything else. The main reason being, Eggman is a rather jovial character these days, shadow because of his normal back story is now connected to two characters eggman actually wanted revenge for... and thats sort of WAY out of the character for the guy now. I wouldn't mind in boom and in future they just got rid of the scientist aspect entierly . They could just ape dmc's story and it would work just fine.  That's just me though. 

Anyways, sega, I would like to buy this on steam pls, thx.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like ol' Shadow.  While it uses the Heroes game engine as far as I can tell, the level design and character handling were vastly improved from that game (or maybe just the latter makes all the difference).  The multiple paths thing was cool (though could have been improved substantially by having the first level not be so goddamn boring and also having the defeat all enemies missions be "defeat like 90% of the enemies".

Granted though, like many Sonic games it's one of those ones where I've "learned" how to avoid the shitty parts by taking particular paths on my replays so I have to do little to no crappy missions.

Now that it was two generations ago I can't see myself going back to it as often as I used to mind you but at the time I was fine with it.  Liked it enough to get all A ranks at least.

It's a shame that it will likely never get a re-release unless they do some grand compilation of all 3D games with the disliked ones included for the sake of it etc, because the main thing stopping me replaying it is it's not worth the inconvenience of setting up my Gamecube/Wii again, unlike a few other games from that era.

• Thumbs Up 4

I didn't hate the game, but I didn't love it either. I thought it was kind of fun getting to use Shadow's chaos powers, but playing the story over again like 30 times was kind of annoying. I enjoyed the final stage/boss though! Really need to get this game for GameCube to add with my Sonic collection. c:

• Thumbs Up 1

Ice Physics the Sonic Game is the first Sonic game I've ever played and the first video game I ever owned. It was the PS2 version with the horrendous frame rate, but being 6 years old, I loved the hell out of the damn game despite its gameplay and story flaws, and I think I still would due to nostalgia if I didn't play it again 8 years later with my nostalgia googles being torn off of my face and thrown towards the wall by the fact that Shadow just came from a Greek orgy without washing the oil off of him before Sonic Team recorded his actions for the game, and me just then noticing that framerate of the PS2 version was as smooth and stable as the Hollywood marriage of a sheet of sandpaper and a pumice stone.

I really think the game would've been fine if it just controlled better. The levels are pretty solid once you get used to Shadow's perpetual ice physics. Some of these stages are pretty open for a post Adventure Sonic game. I like the chose your own adventure system, the weapon gameplay is silly for a Sonic game, yeah, but I find it pretty fun too because, well, fucking projectile weapons in a 3D platformer! Come on! I think I'd like the game even more enjoyable to me if I got the GameCube version, which I hear is more technically sound.

Edited by Auto
  • Thumbs Up 2

ShTH is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. It's funny how they went with a dark angle in terms of story and yet it comes across as extremely silly. No where near as dark as SA2's story.

I know it's supposed to be a sort of spiritual sequel to SA2, at least when it comes to the story, but it's pretty much just a sequel to Heroes. It shares the same god-awful slippery controls, lackluster dialogue and poor graphics. The alternative route/outcomes based on good and evil choices is quite an interesting idea and there are plenty unique stages to choose from. I'm a fan of the soundtrack. Love me some Digital Circuit any day. Can't say I'm a fan of the bosses. 

I remember how Eggman reveals in the final boss fight how Shadow miraculously survived at the end of SA2.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2CmPf6Cr_c

Eggman you're such a legend for saving Shadow :P

I haven't played ShTH in ages. It's by no means the worst Sonic game, but yeah it was a low point.

• Thumbs Up 4

Ahh yes, this topic reminded me, I have to apologize to my stepdad for making him buy this game for me when I was 12....yea, I was very impressionable.

I mean come on, a game starring one of my favorite characters in the franchise, I couldn't help but want it and I  could give a shit about the consequences. I then spent weeks trying to get every single ending and then the True Ending. To be honest, I didn't even find out about the reception to this game until about a few months later and I was genuinely shocked at how bad it was received. Making fun of edge, the 4Kids VA's, and this was around the time when Youtube debuted. 

So 10 years later, I'm saavy and I've had plenty of time reading people constantly shit on this game and Shadow himself, including today :\ Anyway, see the thing about this game is...it's not really that bad technically, I mean yea it controls like a piece of shit and the mechanics could have been better implemented but that's really no worse than this game's immediate predecessor. See,  and this is based on how I've been feeling about Sega/Sonic Team as a whole as of late but this game is just the embodiment of everything flawed about this company and their misguided attempts at keeping the Sonic series relevant.

Like holy shit, the thought process was literally "Hey, that whole FPS craze is pretty popular right now, so what if he did that with Sonic?" but somebody then probably said "Are you stupid? Sonic would never hold a gun....let's do it with Shadow instead"  Making a game about a popular character isn't a bad idea, but why would you base that idea on a completely different genre and try to shoehorn it into this series, like waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. And then the game played badly anyway. Optimizing your game wasn't a priority, but you made damn sure this game plenty of damn swearing :V

Its like Sonic Team don't make good games, they just make what's popular at the time and see if people like it and if they don't they just move onto the next big thing. Its amazing how a decade later and they still haven't learned their lesson, except we just went with the opposite direction with Lost World. A game that has similar control, Aesthetic, and plot issues.

I think the sticking point for me about this game is that it pretty much ruined Shadow forever in the eyes of the public. And Sega are just content with running him further into the ground, ensuring that he'll just be an extremely controversial character forever. Yes, as someone who still likes him a lot, it kind of upsets me a lot but it is what it is. My savior is Ian Flynn now, so Sega can run him into the ground all they want.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think the sticking point for me about this game is that it pretty much ruined Shadow forever in the eyes of the public.

Hahahahahahaha.

Anywho, what can I add? Mostly I like this game. Oh it's dumb and does it have its bullshit moments, but for what Sonic Team attempted with this, I'd say they JUUUUUST barely hit their target. As slippery as it is, as pitfall-happy as it is, the platforming isn't... horrible. It's competent and doesn't have the plagueing issues of '06, so I give it a pass. And, I'd be lying if I said I didn't like a few of the levels and bosses. The missions, some are fun, some are meh, some are crap. I'm not a big completionist, so it'll most likely take a while before I get to the bomb mission. As for tone, I actually really, REALLY doubt Sonic Team wanted us to take this 100% seriously. I fail to see how that's even possible when you add the Chaotix of all characters. As for the dark moments? They really aren't THAT bad. I'd say that the darkest moments in the game aren't nearly anymore extreme than what we've seen in the Adventure games or what have you when they wanted shit to get real. The swearing? Hilarious. The guns? Pretty fun, actually. The plot? ...I actually admire it. I really like the idea of Shadow having an inner struggle of trying to find out where he belongs and what his great power should be used for. I like how unique a villain Black Doom is and how well he fits Shadow in terms of a nemesis. I like a lot of the ideas thrown in, and I'd say the majority of them were implemented well.

This game is a guilty pleasure, if you want to call it that. But honestly I feel like that title is slipping slightly given how many people actually DO like this game. In the comments for Screwattack's recent top ten worst Sonic games video, quite a few people were actually defending this game. So that's something, right?

All in all, happy anniversary you hidden gem. Or should I say, hidden damn fourth Chaos emerald?

• Thumbs Up 1

"Ruined Shadow in the public eye?" Yeah, right. Do you know how many people geeked out over him being in the Boom season finale?

Edited by cjmoore25
  • Thumbs Up 1

Shadow's game huh.

I never did get to play SA2 so my first introduction to Shadow was the almost silent mildly jerkish version from heroes which was followed by the total D-bag version in this game. In retrospect this was about the worst version of Shadow personality wise I have ever seen in a game, though credits have to go to a dedicated Shadow fan who created a version so unlikeable in her fan comic I wound up being a confirmed hater of him so my opinion of him is most likely highly tainted.

As for the game, I somehow managed to sit through this train wreck and complete it enough times to do the final story and my opinion of this game is honestly pretty toxic even to this day and age. I recall throwing my controller at the screen in pure rage when the camera decided to flip around doing tricky jumps in Cosmic Fall, I gritted my teeth in frustration as Mad Matrix presented me with the most confusing level layout yet, I was impressed when I managed to glitch through a spring and fall to my doom in the Death Ruins and how Sonic was reduced to modern Knuckles level of stupidity. But most of all, I utterly hated how the game loved to respawn me doing the final boss fights with little to no bullets.

In short, this is the worst Sonic game I've played yet and I've played Sonic Boom so that's saying something.

"Ruined Shadow in the public eye?" Yeah, right. Do you know how many people geeked out over him being in the Boom season finale?

You mean about the 10 people on this site only :\

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. Despite what kind of risky moves SEGA has made with Shadow, he's still one of the most popular characters in the series. A lot of people enjoy the TV show, and a lot of people were happy to see him included. I'm sure it's more than just 10 people. c:

• Thumbs Up 2

"He's ONLY the second most popular character in the canon!"

Boom Eggman speaks no lies. I mean, would people really care about Tails and Knuckles nowadays if people took consideration on how they're treated now? Shadow is no different.

As for my thoughts on Ow the Edge, I'm not gonna lie. I actually kind of like it, not story of course, that was just poor (but hey Iizuka wrote the Rivals series, so he's fine as  a writer now). But I found the game pretty decent, not great but certainly enjoyable. I like the level design of most levels though some levels like Central City, Mad Matrix and the ARK levels can be pretty confusing to navigate around. The weapons are really fun to use, LOVED the Shadow Rifle! The controls are pretty awkward so that's a problem. The vehicles for the most part are pretty useless and the levels don't really look all that great but I love how Circus Park, Mad Matrix and Digital Circuit looked like! I love the music too, Almost Dead is so fucking edgy it's hilarious but I do love the music like Sky Troops, Lava Shelter, Final Haunt, Mad Matrix and SOOO much more.

So yeah, Shadow is a decent game in my eyes. Story's either lame or laughable, the gameplay is alright, music is pretty cheesy but I love it because of it and everything else is meh-ish.

• Thumbs Up 3

Look, I'm not denying Shadow still isn't a well-known character, its just...not because people actually like him lol. 

Its like, the whole fascination with him in Boom was centered around if he'd be like himself in Rise of Lyric; hell, the entire episode is lampooning how obsessive his fans are about him with Eggman constantly fanboying over him.  They even take the piss out of his trademark traits. Its more of a parody about the character's reception than really celebrating the character himself.

I've been in the series for a while now, trust me I've had plenty of time to understand that most reactions to Shadow are either "Why didn't they kill him off" or "he was pretty good in Sonic Adventure 2" etc etc. The character is still pretty controversial in most circles. Having him make one token appearance in a television series I doubt is going to have a significant effect on his reception.

this game screwed 10 year old me up in so many ways.

imagine playing sonic heroes with it's corny one liners, and then you get to the store with your dad and rather than sonic and friends with a good ol' smile on their faces having a jolly good time punching eggman in the face you see shadow the edgehog holding a gun mimicking every call of duty cover ever

i..

i didn't know how to feel. i can't even come up with a metaphor or simile for it i was so confused.

needless to say, it was terrible. the only (slight) fun i had with this game was getting to be the envy of all my friends and playing multiplayer with them. 

other than that... this game isn't...

ech. it isn't sonic 06 / RoL bad, but it isn't sonic heroes / before good.

it's just kinda... there.

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly don't think Shadow's still the second most popular character. He's well known, yeah, but not for the right reasons. 

I think Shadow's popularity peaked before this game came out and it kind of dropped after that. He's still up there, but Tails or Eggman probably took second place a while ago.

• Thumbs Up 1