Awoo.

*(On The Topic Of Boost Game Play)*

Chris Knopps

I loved the boosting games, even though some of them were criticized for being too easy with "boost to win".

However, I think it would be nice using the spin dash in a similar way rather than using a boost, not that I have a problem with either. c:

I loved the boosting games, even though some of them were criticized for being too easy with "boost to win".

However, I think it would be nice using the spin dash in a similar way rather than using a boost, not that I have a problem with either. c:

Actually the spin dash shouldn't operate in any way whatsoever like the boost and, in my opinion, was a mistake in Lost World and Generations alike.

People want the spin dash back but not an off-brand and over-powered version of boost. From my knowledge based on feedback from both titles around the internet.

The boost gameplay is probably one of my favourite types of gameplay in the series. It's probably because Unleashed is one of my favourite games, but it just feels amazing to learn each path and work up to a good time.

I don't see how having the spindash with the boost gameplay would improve it though. Wouldn't it break the flow to instantly stop and go into a spindash? If you could spindash while moving, wouldn't it basically be boosting?

• Thumbs Up 2

The boost gameplay is probably one of my favourite types of gameplay in the series. It's probably because Unleashed is one of my favourite games, but it just feels amazing to learn each path and work up to a good time.

I don't see how having the spindash with the boost gameplay would improve it though. Wouldn't it break the flow to instantly stop and go into a spindash? If you could spindash while moving, wouldn't it basically be boosting?

Bascially yes and I agree with you. 

I like Boost, actually. I think it's really quite cathartic to go at insane speeds while collecting rings or steamrolling enemies to maintain your boost meter. I do think it could use some tweaking, and I think levels could be designed so that maintaining your boost takes more effort and skill (maybe add more hazards you can't boost through).

EDIT: Then there's the Unleashed PS2/Wii approach to things, making each Boost a separate action rather than just holding the button. With this you could introduce a cooldown, so you can't just mash boost.

EDIT 2: Just had another interesting idea. Maybe instead of a meter that goes down when you boost, you have a meter that starts empty and increases as you boost. Collecting rings reduces the meter, but if it hits full Sonic looses his footing and trips (maybe losing rings as well). Just to add a bit of a hazard to continuously boosting?

Edited by KillaMaaki

I still don't like boost, mainly because it's become the main core of the gameplay which takes out a lot of the fun as pressing just one button constantly to win the best time/boss battles as become the norm in the Sonic games. Even in Unleashed I found it be annoying as the later zones demanded I press the boost button to even pass em at all.

The thing about spin dashing is that never worked like the boost. You got a nice big burst of speed if you did it from standing still but it quickly faded away depending on level layout. Using it while running also slowed Sonic down depending on the design of the level as unleashing it going downhill increased your speed while doing it uphill had the opposite effect.  With boost the speed you has never changes depending on level layout and involves no real thinking about its use as it simply allows you to  plow through anything and anyone in your path with zero consequences.

There is something wrong when half the game can beaten by pushing practically just one button all the time as the levels are designed to minimize your use of the other  buttons. (Generations)

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't like boost. Feels way, way too much like a care. Also removes one of the biggest thing that made Sonic Sonic: Being a ball. Curling up in a ball is why they chose the hedgehog, right? When you're boosting, you're missing that important aspect. You may as well be the Flash.

I prefer spindash, short speed bursts. Not Face-McSlammer.

Don't like boost. Feels way, way too much like a care. Also removes one of the biggest thing that made Sonic Sonic: Being a ball. Curling up in a ball is why they chose the hedgehog, right? When you're boosting, you're missing that important aspect. You may as well be the Flash.

I prefer spindash, short speed bursts. Not Face-McSlammer.

What, do you not particularly care for The Adventures of Face-McSlammer vs Baldy McNosehair?

;)

I actually had another thought on Boost which could make it a little more engaging...

At the moment, slamming into enemies increases your boost meter, making it trivial to keep it going. But what if it was exactly the opposite - hitting enemies and breakable things reduced your Boost meter? There could be stretches of level for instance based on choosing when to boost through obstacles and when to go after rings to keep the Boost going.

• Thumbs Up 2

I feel like if the boost were to return, it should be more like the Sonic Advanced 2/3 boost (that means no kill barrier!); you build it up through movement and smart navigation of the stage, and would bring back the, "Speed is a reward for skillful play" philosophy of the classic games, though I doubt Dimps' level designers would have the know-how to execute that philosophy (never played Advanced 2/3, so correct me if I'm wrong). Combine that with larger, more sprawling stages that allow players to get creative with the mechanics and carve their own path to the end of the level, and we may have something. Less stages that feel like obstacle courses and race tracks, and more stages that feel like actual places with flow. I feel like those things helped define the Sonic 1-3&K, they felt like plausible environments that still intelligently facilitated Sonic's moveset.

My ideal Sonic game would be a bit different in terms of mechanics, but if they're going to keep the boost formula in some fashion (which they likely won't), then I feel like this would be the best direction to go in.

Edited by DarkSamus117
  • Thumbs Up 2

To be honest, I kinda liked Lost World's take on boosting. Granted, it definitely needed fine tuning, but I could see it working wonderfully if implemented correctly.