Awoo.

how do you make a character sprites rom hack

Baraksha

I'm not sure if this subject is related here, if it isn't then please place it where it belongs or sugest me a different 

I recently decided that I want to learn more about how to make my own rom hacks. I always imagined it would be not to hard since there are a lot of sonic rom hacks that had to do with changing the chatacter sprites, but I guess I didn't know what I was going in to. my problem is that I don't want to simply drew on sonic's sprites , I want to replace them with pictures I have. you know , something like this...
http://shc.sonicresearch.org/sonic/entry/26
 I know the program sonik sprites and I tried it, drawing on the sprites works , but for some reason I don't get a lot of colors to work with, acording to the description of the program on sonic retro it can also import picture , but I don't know how to do that there, it has to do with scripting. anyways if you have expirience with this and know how to use it and sugest me what I should do , then you're welcome to help. I also want to mention I tried to use tile layer pro, and I really don't know how to use it when it comes to sonic, sonic just has so many tiles, and the different color palate the program gives me doesn't help me recognize them, I just don't know what to do, 

Edited by Baraksha

wow, this looks easyer then anything I could find while searching on google, I'll tell you if it works when I will have time to try it, thanks

• Thumbs Up 1

First, you need the Sonic 1 disassembly. Second, I recommended you to use the Sonic Maped, and Third, It's just follow this https://info.sonicretro.org/SCHG_How-to:Use_SonMapEd/Part_1

sorry for the late response, but in the tutorial they are mentioning all kind of different folders that holds necessary files, I only got the rom files, where do I get this folders? 

sorry for the late response, but in the tutorial they are mentioning all kind of different folders that holds necessary files, I only got the rom files, where do I get this folders? 

You need the Sonic 1 disassembly, I recommend the GitHub version, you can download on Sonic Retro, just search on Google

You need the Sonic 1 disassembly, I recommend the GitHub version, you can download on Sonic Retro, just search on Google

ok, I wen't through the whole tutorial, both parts, and I learned a lot about the program and how to use it.  now part 1 worked fine for me, but I was more interested in part 2 which didn't worked out as expected. I tried to do everything the guy said and I can't rebuild the file due to errors.I know the guy said " you fucked up, now go read everything over again" and I did, and it should work, through there is one thing I did which I am questioning. you see, as a test I tried to import a megaman 8-bit sprite as sonic's standing sprite, how ever that sprites requires 3x3 tiles and not the usual 3x5 tiles, so Idid what he said and got rid of all the tiles that doesn't touch the sprite and and made a new sprite and all of those stuff, and megaman seemd to have been imported correctly , I put him instead of the sonic standing sprite and then simply saved everything, but I yet can't rebuild the rom, and in the error text file there is a list of all the other sprites names, so what ever I did  must have affected those as well

ok, I wen't through the whole tutorial, both parts, and I learned a lot about the program and how to use it.  now part 1 worked fine for me, but I was more interested in part 2 which didn't worked out as expected. I tried to do everything the guy said and I can't rebuild the file due to errors.I know the guy said " you fucked up, now go read everything over again" and I did, and it should work, through there is one thing I did which I am questioning. you see, as a test I tried to import a megaman 8-bit sprite as sonic's standing sprite, how ever that sprites requires 3x3 tiles and not the usual 3x5 tiles, so Idid what he said and got rid of all the tiles that doesn't touch the sprite and and made a new sprite and all of those stuff, and megaman seemd to have been imported correctly , I put him instead of the sonic standing sprite and then simply saved everything, but I yet can't rebuild the rom, and in the error text file there is a list of all the other sprites names, so what ever I did  must have affected those as well

It never happened to me, even I have made a hack with him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2yuMTy94jo

It never happened to me, even I have made a hack with him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2yuMTy94jo

I don't think you can answer me this,but I feel like I should share this, after experimenting a bit, I noticed that the problem comes from saving the maps files, for some reason when I save it, even if I save it without any change they will cause the rebuild to fail. I then did a test and I noticed that the original file is 18kb , while the new one is 12kb through no changes were made, I think that kinds of hints the problem, but I just encase also tried to save them through something else called "Flex" which seem to be alternate to "SonicMapEd" , but it also gave me the same results. I have no idea what to do or what the problem is, but I see people on youtube saving their mappings and they can do it just fine. the only thing I noticed which i'm pretty sure doesn't meter is the type of disassembly, I got the disassembly from the sonic retro github like you recommended, but most people I sew on youtube and the game in the toruial seem to use a different kind of disassembly , I was able to download it, but unfortunately it didn't work, for some reason it gives me an error saying that this 16-bit program can't work on my 64 bit softwere, any ideas?

I don't think you can answer me this,but I feel like I should share this, after experimenting a bit, I noticed that the problem comes from saving the maps files, for some reason when I save it, even if I save it without any change they will cause the rebuild to fail. I then did a test and I noticed that the original file is 18kb , while the new one is 12kb through no changes were made, I think that kinds of hints the problem, but I just encase also tried to save them through something else called "Flex" which seem to be alternate to "SonicMapEd" , but it also gave me the same results. I have no idea what to do or what the problem is, but I see people on youtube saving their mappings and they can do it just fine. the only thing I noticed which i'm pretty sure doesn't meter is the type of disassembly, I got the disassembly from the sonic retro github like you recommended, but most people I sew on youtube and the game in the toruial seem to use a different kind of disassembly , I was able to download it, but unfortunately it didn't work, for some reason it gives me an error saying that this 16-bit program can't work on my 64 bit softwere, any ideas?

No, This version you have accomplished is the Hivebrain, I am using it in my hack, but with a version adapted to SSRG with that intro. Have you tried re-downloading the disassembly?

No, This version you have accomplished is the Hivebrain, I am using it in my hack, but with a version adapted to SSRG with that intro. Have you tried re-downloading the disassembly?

yep, in fact I stoped counting

yep, in fact I stoped counting

I don't have idea. Always when I use SonMapEd he works fine with me

It can be a problem on your Windows 64-bit, but I think it makes no sense

I don't have idea. Always when I use SonMapEd he works fine with me

It can be a problem on your Windows 64-bit, but I think it makes no sense

I wish I could test that, do you have a 32-bit windows? if so did you used SonicMapEd to create new sprites or did you over wrote the existing ones?

Edited by Baraksha

I wish I could test that, do you have a 32-bit windows? if so did you used SonicMapEd to create new sprites or did you over wrote the existing ones?

Yes, my Windows 32-bit. I replaced the sprites, should this be the problem

You can try using another program like Sonik Sprite, but I do not use it

I tried it, but sonik sprite doesn't have the option to create new sprites, just drewing over the existing ones

I tried it, but sonik sprite doesn't have the option to create new sprites, just drewing over the existing ones

I have no idea.

I have no idea.

ok, I was able to access another pc with a 64 bit system, and the results were the same, if i'll have access to 32 bit system and it won't work, then that mean I fucked up

• Thumbs Up 1

I have no idea.

ok, I tried to do the same thing with sonic 2 and it actually worked!
I think it's the disassembly's fault

I relised something, the sonic 2 disassambly is using .bin files for the mappings, unlike sonic 1 who uses .asm files. also sonic 1 allowed me to still change the Graphics and pallate  which are .bin files. so my theory is this, SonicMapEd has a goo .bin exporting system, but has a problem when it comes to .asm

Edited by Baraksha
  • Thumbs Up 1