Awoo.

Sonic Generations~Happy 4th birthday

Rey Skywalker-Ren

Generations, the first Sonic game I played. Here are my thoughts and answers to your questions

What I like/Don't like about this game?

I really like the gameplay. I think that 3D Sonic's gameplay was so great with both speed and platforming. To me, great Sonic game needs to have both of them having equal attention. Control is very good although I can't help but feel that boost does retricts level desing because Sonic can't just do very sharp turns with boost. One thing I have to give them credit is that they fixed pretty much all the things I didn't like in Colours. Classic Sonic is also very good although if I want to play 2D Sonic, I play mostly either Mega Drive or Advance games. Most of the bosses are also very good but I have few problems with them.

Music and visuals are just amazing.

I love this games level design, I think it has the best in the 3D-series along with SA1. And after playing all the other games it's great to see how they are recreated in the game although I have few complaints but I get to those later.

Missions are mostly kinda meh. There are some which I really like but I don't really replay them.

Then we get to the things I don't like. First of all, the story. It seems that they didn't even try because there basically isn't one and even with the whole classic Sonic it just boils down to the "Monster of the week, get the Chaos Emeralds". And the premise isn't just used at all in the story. And because plotholes are pet peeve of mine, I have to mention them. One, Why didn't Eggman just killed Sonic at the beginning when he was unconsious? Two, where did Time Eater come from? Eggman just conveniently found it? I guess he just have a radar for mysterious monsters. Three, Where classic Sonic and Tails come from? Before Sonic 3? And how much younger their are compared to their modern selves? And am I the only one who has noticed how short classic Sonic is? I mean,  he is much shorter than modern Tails even when he has to be older than Tails because if that wasn't the case, classic Tails would not be there. Four, in some cases this game contradicts things from original levels. For example, where is Tails in Chemical Plant, Sky Sanctuary and Seaside Hill. And where is Knucklesin those two later levels? And Sonic can beat Perfect Chaos without Emeralds? Five, other characters just sit there waiting for Sonic to do everything, even Shadow and Knuckles? Sorry, I just can't believe that.

Other complain is the 2D sectiona of modern Sonic. Because game has classic Sonic I just think moderns 2D is pointless. And Super Sonic is lame in this game. And of course, my eternal complain: Sonic is the only playable character without mods (which can be great, like one Tails mod I'm using)

Do I use custom music?

I sometimes do some experimentation but most of the time I use the original music. One exception is that I always use "Live and learn" in Shadow boss because it's SA2.

My favourite and least favourite stages?

My favourites are probably modern Sky Sanctuary, modern City Escape and modern Crisis City

My least favourites is Planet Wisp with both Sonics. Then there are some things sbout some levels which just bother me. For example Speed Highway in SA1 (my favourite Sonic level), was in the original very fast but here it is very platform heave. And where is At dawn?

Favourite and least favourite boss?

As much I don't like it story-wise, probably Perfect Chaos is my favourite. I also really like Silver fight

Least favourite: Time Eater, fuck that boss.

What would I change in the game:

Remove modern Sonics 2D, put more levels and bosses instead of missions, add other playable character and maybe some kind of multiplayer would be interesting.

And what stages I would have chosen:

Sonic 1: Starlight. Sonic 2: Chemical Plant (Aquatic Ruin second). Sonic CD: Quartz Quadrant (why it wasn't here?). Sonic 3&K: Sky Sanctuary (Ice Cap). Sonic Adventure: Speed Highway (Twinkle Park). Adventure 2: City Escape (Metal Harbor). Heroes: Seaside Hill (Grand Metropolis). (Because Shadow was the only playable character in ShTH I can understand why it isn't here but I would have picked Digital Circuit) 06: Crisis City (Kingdom Valley). Unleashed: Rooftop Run (haven't played the real game). Colours: Aquarium Park.

• Thumbs Up 6

Oh my gosh. I just spent like 20 minutes replying to this when my internet screwed up. :c

What do you like/not like about this game?

I wasn't crazy about the lack of story in Generations, but I enjoyed being able to play it all with the boost formula.

Do you use the background music? What do you use and for what stages?

I do! I usually play "Green Forest" or "Super Sonic Racing" on whatever levels I'm aiming for a new high score for.

What is your skill set for your Sonics and how does it help you?

I really don't want to type it all again, but I used Speed Up, Accelerate, something else, and Auto-Gauge. Whatever helps make Sonic crazy fast is what I'll equip. I love having to adjust to his new speed whenever I throw new skills on him.

What is your favorite stages? Your least favorite?

My favorite is either Green Hill Zone (Act 2) or City Escape (Act 2). I really wasn't crazy about Planet Wisp (either act) or Crisis City (Act 1).

Favorite boss? Least favorite?

Can I say Shadow? Or is he just a mini-boss? If so, my favorite is Perfect Chaos. Least favorite is (surprise) Time Eater.

If you can change a few things about the game what will it be?

Besides more stages and story, I'd give it a ton more DLC. Also, I'd take away Super Sonic's guided boost, and make a new "Super Sonic Mode" that you unlock only after beating the story. In this mode, you could play against new bosses with Super Sonic, like Final Hazard or Metal Overlord.

What stages would you wish to be in the game?

I had like 20 listed before my internet messes me up. But just a few I mentioned, Emerald Coast (Adventure), Egg Fleet (Heroes), Wave Ocean and Radical Train ('06), and Night Palace (Secret Rings).

Then I made some witty joke about how my version of Generations would be like 3 disks long with all the stages. But hey, I gave it a shot. c:

• Thumbs Up 1

I like the idea of this game. I like the fact that it takes place on Sonic's birthday, and it's cool seeing all of his friends together interacting with eachother, even if we don't really get to hear what they're saying when they talk to each other haha

I love how you can change the background music. I really wish more games would do this. I always have Route 99 playing on City Escape, Palmtree Panic JP on Green Hill, the Sonic Heroes special stage theme on Rooftop Run and I always always always have Open Your Heart on Perfect Chaos because I never liked how the music changes so suddenly to generic scary monster music. The others generally depend on my mood.

I normally don't use skills, but when I do I like to use Endless Boost for Modern Sonic, and the skateboard for Classic Sonic. B-)

My favorite is always Seaside Hill, and my least favorite is probably Planet Wisp. I'd like it so much more if there was less machinery, and more lush wildlife. I get that the theme is that machines are taking over, but the red machine areas in this level don't look very good to me (They didn't in colors either in my opinion) 

I find Silver the most fun to fight. Shadow is an interesting concept, but I don't think it was executed too well. It's got potential though, I'd love to see a fight like that done right. My least favorites are Time Eater and Death Egg Robot. They're just so unfun to play. 

I'd make Sonic's friends play a bigger role. Most of them just say a one liner after being saved and then say another one liner during the boss fight. It almost feels pointless to have them around when they don't really do anything. Though the friend missions are pretty cool and fun though, well some of them anyway. I'd have more of those. I also wish there were less invisible walls everywhere. Unleashed had this too, but even that game still felt more open ended to me. I know there's several different paths to choose from in a few levels, but having the freedom to roam around just adds so much more, even if it just leads to a death hehe. I'd love to see more open areas like the park in City Escape. I remember being so disappointed when I first played Speed Highway and Sonic didn't end up in At Dawn after running down the building ๏̯͡๏

If I could add one more stage for each era, I'd choose Metallic Madness for classic, Twinkle Park for dreamcast, and Asteroid Coaster for modern! I also wish the handheld games would have been represented with a stage, but even in the 3DS version that didn't happen aside from Water Palace. Seeing Music Plant or Toy Kingdom in a new light would have been so cool. Oh well.

P.S. I've gotta say, your english is so good! I come from a family of hispanics and everyone in my family speaks spanish. English was my first language and I can communicate in spanish because most of my family speaks little english, but I have so little confidence speaking my non native language.  I'm saying this because I couldn't make jokes or use sarcasm or anything like that really well if I'm not speaking english. You've got great confidence and skill. I respect that very greatly Mikyeong!

• Thumbs Up 1

How the gameplay took what Unleashed did and refined it to perfection.

I didn't like the lack of after-level cutscenes that poked fun at it/and or the game it came from. Would've liked more of that,

I use Green forest for Modern Speed Highway because it fits so well, especially when you get go the Goin' Down section when the breakdown hits. I've also used Right There, Ride On for Modern City Escape, and I Am All of Me for Classic Green Hill for the hell of it.

Both Speed Highways, Modern City Escape, and Modern Rooftop Run were my favorites.

Least favorite? Both Planet Wisps. Bar none.

Favorite boss is probably Perfect Chaos. Least favorite is Time Eater, obviously.

More cutscenes that took jabs at the series, classic Sonic in 3D. Oh yeah, and playable classic/modern Tails & Knuckles.

Would've liked me some Asteroid Coaster, Hydrocity Zone, and Ice Cap Zone.

Edited by Dizcrybe
  • Thumbs Up 1

What I like? Well, I like Modern Sonic's controls. At least the homing attack is back on the jump button, the boost is pretty good and he overall just feels a lot more better to control. Classic Sonic is pretty cool. What I don't like? Not enough extras to make you want to keep playing. Sega had so many opportunities to include a lot of DLC into this game, but they didn't and so fans did instead. (I'm telling ya, the Unleashed Project is just awesome!).

Uh... sometimes. Mainly depends on which stage I'm playing on. I don't like the Green Hill music very much, so I usually play Free or His World over it, otherwise most other stages I just use the background music for it.

Extended boost and blast off for Modern. Homing attack and electrical shield for Classic. (But on PC I use a skill modifier to change the skills around).

My absolute favourite stage is Rooftop Run. I always play that stage whenever I play the game. My least favourites are: Crisis City (both Modern and Classic), Speed Highway (both Modern and Classic) and City Escape Classic.

This includes rivals, right? Because I always play Shadow's rival boss. Other Egg Dragoon is the boss I usually play (I used to have so much difficulty playing it when I started playing the game, but I find it fun now). My least favourite is... Time Eater. Oh man, that sucks so damn much! (And my least favourite rival battle is Metal Sonic, I like the music but the boss just sucks).

I would love the HUB world to be more open world like Unleashed's (HD) HUB worlds, with a moving camera. That would have been nice.

Hard to say as this was the first Sonic game I played. Uh... I suppose instead of Chemical Plant, Emerald Hill would have been nice. Replace Green Hill with... I don't really know to be honest, I haven't played much of Sonic the Hedgehog (1991).

I also would have liked Wave Ocean instead of Crisis City because Crisis City is so annoying.

What is your favorite Sonic Generations mod... if you have one?

Really? REALLY!? How can I have one favourite with all the mods for Generations?! There's just too many! I suppose the FxPipeline render (don't really know if that counts as a mod to be honest as more a performance boost for the game).

But as in an actual mod... it's hard to say. I would say the Unleashed project, but that runs so badly on my PC and crashes every time I almost finish Windmill Isle.

I'm gonna have to go with Sonic Boom Annoying Voice, I just love using that one for the BOUNCE PAD!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Generations is one of my favorite Sonic games. I love this game because its simple fast and fun and I have much fun replaiying and getting the S ranks. Modern Sonic was really fast and he was skillful. Very fun to play with. Classic Sonic without homing attack not so much but for some reason I still have a little fun with him. I also like the features like background music, skills and even challenges. I got all the achivements for this game on the Xbox and its fun getting all the red rings.

I do! I do it alot! I do use Sweet Mountain, Endless Possiblity and A New Venture for most the challenges. Also fun fact that this game make me like A New Venture. I do use Sweet Mountain for City Escape and Planet Wisp and Let the Speed Mend it for Seaside Hill. I dont know but most the stages are much fun with the background music and for some the orginals I dont like the music for it (City Escape and Planet Wisps comes to mind)

I do use Super Sonic Racing when I am racing Sonics friends but I like the Generations version better. I use Green Hill Zone for the Time Eater. Try it! Its funny. There was one time I use Endless Possiblity and it fits!

For the Xbox My skills for classic Sonic were homing attack and sometimes I would switch to the electic sheild. The homing attack makes classic Sonic more to reach high areas and i dont have to worry about bouncing off enimies. Also it make his game play soo much less boring and it felt like my favorite 2D game.. Sonic 4. I did use quick start when I try to to the achivement to to Green Hill in under a minute. 

For modern Sonic I didnt use skills much for him because his moves were already awesome. But I do have super Sonic because I just love Super Sonic. And i earn it by beating the game on the Xbox so it was awesome to see. 

My favorite stages? I like Classic Sonic's Green Hill alot! It was so much better then the orginal one and less boring. Also I love the music for it. Feels like a rush for me. I also like it for modern Sonic to and with the gameplay boosting through it was still very much fun for me. I also like the design for the stage as well.

I also like Chemical Plant Zone for Modern Sonic. I just love the music. I use to hate it before but now I love it. And the design is awesome and it was amaizing for me to play in.

Sky Santurary for modern Sonic was awesome to play to. I love the clouds and speeding through it was a rush for me as well.

Crisis City modern Sonic was sooo much better in this game then in Sonic o-shit... I mean Sonic 06. The music was way better and the design is so much better to. 

My least favorites: Planet Wisp classic Sonic. This stage it take me a long time. When I play on the console it take me 15 minutes to do the stage. They take a stage I like in Sonic Colors in ruin it with classic Sonics boring gameplay and hard to figure out design stuffs. I love the wisps though.

Crisis City classic Sonic. no i dont mind the post flying away from me. its the design I hate. I just hate it. I hate how its boring and how it can be confusing. 

Seaside Hill both Sonics. They take a stage I like a ruined it. Classic Sonic was OK but modern Sonic they make his soo long and boring. The background music change helps.

My favorites... Metal Sonic. It was soo fun to beat him. It was a challenge but I got it and I beat him and it feels good to me. Also the music helps to go into the mood. 

Shadow. This one become sooo easy to do and lemmie tell you it was SOOO AWESOME to kick his ass in this game. Yeah! it felt sooo good! Especially sense in Sonic Adventure 2 it was .... pretty bad for me.

Silver. I like Silver but it was so awesome to kick his ass to! He also gets his ass kicked by his own piles of shit!!! Sweeeet. Also I wanna say this version is sooo much better then that Sonic 06 one.

My least favorites... Death Egg Robot. It was good at first but the other part I didnt get it. Also it was very hard to try to get the hand to hit the bombs. I didnt like how it was done. I mean its better then Sonic 2 but still I hated it.

Perfect Chaos. I didnt like this boss in Sonic Adventure... the only thing I like about it is that I can play as Super Sonic. But they take that part away in this game and make it even harder to beat. So annoying. I do like the homing attack parts in Generations but thats all.

Time Eater. It hated this boss. the background music change was the only thing i like about it. its so hard to hit the boss and classic Sonic was worse but i was force to switch to him and also Sonics friends make me hate it even more and they wont shut up.

I would take out the Silver rival battle and replace it with Jet. No offense but Silver isnt a rival to Sonic but I would want to see Jet come back. 

Be able to beat Shadow as classic Sonic and Metal Sonic as modern Sonic.

Put the Blaze battle as a challenge. 

Make the Time Eater better by make it better to hit and more clear to.

Give me a option to shut up Sonics friends.

Add Wisps to the skill store

Westopilois from Shadow the Hedgehog. Yes thats my favorite stage from the game and I like to see it in Generations one day.

Starlight Carnival from Sonic Colors. That stage was soo beautiful and awesome and the design. I am suprise they pick Planet Wisps over it. ugh. 

Eggmanland from Sonic Unleashed. Yes I love Eggmanland and I wanted to see it in this game. Oh well...

Well, the gameplay is solid. Coming off of Unleashed, I noticed how much more refined Modern Sonic was compared to the way he was before. Although, the stages weren't as thrilling he was far easier to control. As for my dislikes, I feel everything outside of the gameplay got a very significant downgrade compared to Unleashed. The graphics were fine but they didn't look as beautiful and the lighting seemed off. The environments were nice to look at but not as breath-taking as before. The hub was just an interactive menu on a 2-D plain stuck to a white background. There wasn't much to get out of that; no shops, no food, no people to talk to, no quizzes to take, no NPC stories to follow, nothing. These things weren't outright bad in their own right but because I had something better to compare it to I was left underwhelmed. The story was indeed bad though. Not only was there nothing going on but it seriously didn't even know what to even have the characters do. The ones who were trapped did nothing and the ones who weren't had useless scenes shoveled in there to simulate a plot. All the Time Eater did was fly overhead sometimes, go "Boo" then disappear again. Not much for an anniversary title.

I don't change the music for the main stages. Instead, I changed the music for all the missions and tried to make sure every song got it's own mission if I could manage that. I didn't accurately keep huge tracking on that because I didn't care as much but it was something to entertain myself with due to running dry on content rather quickly.

Modern Sonic I mostly keep tethered to Super Sonic. The reasoning being that I'm not too sure how the other skills benefit me all that much and experimenting around with it wasn't something I had too heavy an interest in doing. Mainly because it was already easy to S rank everything for Modern Sonic. Classic Sonic is a different story though. I gave Classic Sonic the homing attack and I keep it on him at all times. I hear his Super Sonic is just an invincibility skin anyway. Despite that, It's a little jarring when I feel the need to experience the story in order again because he doesn't have it when I do that. The only reason I ever do the story over is to see the cutscenes with Sonic's friends on my TV since (for some reason) the game doesn't have them in the cutscene menu after you unlock them. 

My favorite stage is probably Modern City Escape. It's definitely the most nostalgic one for me next to Seaside Hill and I feel it has the best flow with a nice edge to it that makes it a bit harder to get through then Modern Green Hill or Chemical Plant. My least favorite stage would have to be Classic Planet Wisp. It's super long and drawn out and I absolutely cannot stand all the forced puzzles that comes with the spike wisp. 

My favorite boss is probably Perfect Chaos. I was thinking the Egg Dragoon at first but I feel they didn't nail it as well there as they did here. The epic nature behind it is something that always wins brownie points with me on top of playing competently well. The Time Eater is my least favorite. As the only original content within the game it kind of doesn't bode well that it's the worst thing about the game from a constructive gameplay standpoint. Not to mention, it comes on the heels of one of the more insulting set up cutscenes before a final boss. The Eggman reveal was good (if not a bit predictable) but it falls off a cliff when it actually tries to have an "impactful moment" where the Time Eater slams it's hand on top of the two Sonics in a very lame manner. Then everyone shows up with the hero music blaring as though they're going to do something but then it's revealed that they're just taking their positions as cheerleaders to watch Modern Sonic blast forward by holding down X and for Classic Sonic to be completely useless with an attack that wasn't coded in to function properly.

I'd have made it longer no doubt. As an anniversary title that's sole purpose is to celebrate Sonic's 20 years it has no real reason to have less content then Unleashed. Colors may have served as a break in between games but their game should have been on full blast for Generations (Although Colors came out in 2010 and Generations came out exactly ONE year later in 2011 so maybe that's the reason it has so few things in it). The story would have been made to be more consequential with the characters within it having active roles to play. It doesn't take direct correlation to the events personally for the characters to do something to help. All it takes is more set-up within Dr. Eggman's plan that requires more to be broken down by different people rather then simply have the Time Eater fly over and roar a few times. Different stages and angles to Eggman's plan is what helped make his stance in SA2 stand out better for me. They had a few nuggets of things in there like Vector figuring out that someone was behind the monster just by looking at it fly by or the little snippets of the characters interacting with each other at the party. More content is basically what I wish for. More stages would have been perfect and this game was made for a most profitable DLC gold mine that they never capitalized on. I'd have liked the artwork we unlocked to have been more from just this game but from other represented Sonic games as well. I'd also preferred more art for other characters aside from Sonic, Tails, and Eggman. The character bios I'd preferred to have been handled like Smas Bros does with trophies. The trophy room, I feel, should have been something we unlocked with our own actions within the game and I wish they had come with more in-depth bios; something like Sonic Channel where they list the characters ages, favorite food, and birthplace. Things of that nature. Also, it would have been great if they could have included more trophies too. This game has a lot it can pull from and it stands as the ultimate missed opportunity for me to this day.

I honestly would have put 3 stages per game within it instead of just one but that's just me. I also would have replaced Sonic 06 with something else. Maybe give it's three slots to Rush, Shadow, and Rivals for one slot each. For Heroes I'd have chosen Hang Castle, Egg Fleet, and Casino Park. SA2, probably would have kept City Escape but also maybe had Final Rush and Metal Harbor. For Unleashed I'd have put in Jungle Joyride from Adabat since Seaside Hill would be gone, and I'd have included Arid Sands, and Eggmanland. Colors would have Asteroid Coaster and Sweet Mountain to add to Planet Wisp. I'm not sure about the others though.

bonus question: what is your favorite Sonic Generations mod... if you have one?

The Charmy Bee Mod. Because it exists and that makes me happy.

Edited by Dr. Chaotix
  • Thumbs Up 3

thanks to this game is that i re-introduced myself to play Sonic games .. and then started to like more and more this franchise! XD

i remember .. sudenly on youtube i saw a gameplay about it.. it was Sky Sanktuary.. and its beautiful graphics impressed me so much *O*
Jake-OMGMAGICAL.gif 

-i like the graphics and remasterized zones.. i mean.. they looked nice on their original versions.. but taking consience of the graphic capability that new generation consoles can offer to you.. it was very beutiful!!

-the music was pretty nice too.. i'm really glad they didn't do what Capcom did with Maverick hunter X.. they made Mixes. but they didn't concerve the retro thing i mean they changed them too much..in my opinion... Sega concerved some 16bit aspect of some soundtracks.. and didn't change them too much to make them a great likeable mix.. same to the modern soundtraks..

-and i love Classic Tails, Classic Sonic and Classic Metal Sonic ahh and Classic Eggman XD CTails is so cute that i could melt ! Metal looked like a little toy.. and Sonic and Eggman were so fatty.. :lol:   i would had loved to see more of these classic version interact more someday... i speccially love Voiceless Sonic.. because it allowed to use the body expressions very nice

what i don't like from this game?

that Big wasn't on Sonic's birthday party XD .. he was only as a trophy statue... at least a cameo on one of the stages could have been great.. also for Tikal and Marine and Chaos.. i think they deserved a place on the trophy room..

also i didn't like Time Eater battle and music.. <_<

and that its was too short.. Xd unlike unleashed this game seems to be not so long and difficult.. i mean.. i could take more than 10 minutes on a zone.. and i still can get a good rank XD its amusing anyways.. but that.. :D

yep somethimes.. but my little bro does that more often.. though i ask him to put a music when he wants to change it. i use to ask him Mazuri  for Spagonia, and Classic Green Hill zone for Modern Green Hill Zone..

umm.. i don't know.. my bro uses to change that... but i like the homing attack on Classic Sonic, the Electric shield or the bubble shield..

favourite .. green Hill zone because of the waterfalls <3  ,City scape because of the billboards and because i can destroy stuff, Rooftoof run because i can destroy the restaurants and appreaciate details.. and Sky Santuary zone.. classic and modern because i love clouds

Least fav planet Wisp act 1.. because of rockets  XD

fav boss i guess Silver and Shadow and Metal Sonic were very fun to beat.. :D  Shadow is kinda easy.. but Silver its a deal sometimes..and Metal Sonic is fun and cute to beat.. besides i love its music..

least fav.. that has to be time eater.. X( its music its boring.. and its too slow to beat...just no..

i'd put more characters on the trophy rooms XD and more concept art,

and i'd add a last final zone.. after you get all chaos emeralds and put them on the clock thing to face time eater.. i would put a last zone styled similar to the place you have to fight time eater.. and also with some stuff from the past games and zones floating arround as scenery.. like the barrel of the death XD ,

ahh and i would change Time Eater' boss battle into something more faster and with a music like this one

jump to min 1:37

and all of Sonic's friends being beaten on battle while helping Sonic and being captured again so Sonic can face the two Eggman with more rage than before bahahaha!!!!

ecb95a33949f4482514973c9968df2f7.gif

ok no XD (i was kiddin at the last part tho hoho)

umm... Hydrocity zone, and Kingdom Valley so hard! XD

bonus question: what is your favorite Sonic Generations mod... if you have one?

too bad i don't have one.. but i've seen some.. and i love Professor Pickles.. :D he can get super sayian and say Good day while running XD haha

Edited by Drawloverlala
  • Thumbs Up 2

This game came out in December 1st 2011 on all the consoles.

While this is true for you as you're from Japan, for most members of this forum this version of this game came out around the beginning of November, with November 1st being the initial release date.

• Thumbs Up 2

While this is true for you as you're from Japan, for most members of this forum this version of this game came out around the beginning of November, with November 1st being the initial release date.

Yeah, this is true. So, this thread probably should have been made a month ago.

• Thumbs Up 2

the game came out early for everyone else??? :o 

• Thumbs Up 2

This game, man. This is the first Sonic game I had owned in a long time, and it's the game that made me a fan of the series. Christ, I can't believe it's been 4 years since I got it for my Birthday, along with Arkham City. I remember it like it was yesterday, good times. thanks mom. :) It's been a while since I played this, almost a year I think. I gotta give it another playthrough.Anyway, on to the questions.

What  I like/Dislike About this Game:

Like :   A whole lot, actually

• I've replayed Modern Sonic's stages the most out of any in this game, and they're definitely the most fun part.   With mostly good level design and control, they're an enormous improvement over Unleashed's daytime stages for sure. 
  • The soundtrack. Numerous songs from Sonic history remixed in stunning fashion, what more can you ask for? Being able to select certain songs to play in stages was an awesome feature too, which should seriously return.
  • Graphics. Sonic Team has never been a slouch when it comes to making their games look gorgeous, and Generations is no exception. With stages from past titles recreated in HD it lends itself to a stunning aesthetic. Admittedly, it's a tad  bit of a step down from Unleashed, because The Hedgehog Engine  appeared to have better lighting in that game. Still looks great to this day, though.
  • Extra content. Unlockable music, concept art, challenges, they're a much better way of extending gametime than those awful sun and moon medals from Unleashed.  

Dislike:   

• The story is laaaame. It's a shame, because  it starts off with so much potential. Sonic and Friends restoring time and reflecting on past memories? Cool premise! Sadly, Sonic's friends don't get anything to do at all, and it feels like portions of the story are missing (Classic Tails appearing out of nowhere is the biggest indicator of that.)
  • Some bosses are worse than others. Looking at you, Time Eater. DIEEEEEEEEEEEE
  • Classic Sonic starts off fun, but my enjoyment starts to wane around the time we get to the Modern Era. I don't know if it's due to simply preferring Modern's stages overall, but IDK, something about the control is just off. Planet Wisp is absolutely dreadful, though.
  • The game feels too short, if we aren't talking about the extra content. Modern Sonic's stages, while fun, take an average of around 3 minutes to complete. A few more stages from other games, like CD would have been much appreciated. 

Do you use the background Music:

Hell to the yeah! Like I mentioned earlier, it's one of my favorite features that needs to be brought back in future games! I love using Palmtree Panic in Green Hill's Modern Stage, Stardust Speedway for Chemical Plant, Wave Ocean for Sky Sanctuary, Live and Learn for Shadow's stage, and so on. 

My skill set for each Sonic:

Don't remember having used it much, sorry. I usually stick with the default, but I'll occasionally use element shields with classic sonic. 

Favorite Stage:

Probably Rooftop Run  or City Escape for Modern Sonic, and either Sky Sanctuary or Radical Highway for Classic.  The former are fairly linear, but I always had a blast with them, and the latter are filled to the brim with alternate routes of getting to the goal, which I'm always a sucker for in Sonic games.

Least Favorite Stage:

Planet Wisp for both, easily. Awful stages that drag, and the use of wisps is a dreadful bore. It's a shame they used this stage to represent Colors, it honestly brings the quality of the game down for me. Asteroid Coaster would have been far better final level material, hands down.

Favorite Boss:

Silver, because it makes the best use of his powers in an interesting way. It's the boss I think we all deserved back in 06, lol.

Least Favorite Boss:

Was there any doubt it wouldn't be Time Eater? Annoying as fuck looped radio chatter from Sonic's-utterly-shitty-in-this-case friends and having to catch up to the pussy bastard ruin this boss. Egg Dragoon is a close second in how annoyingly repetitive it is, though. 

What I would Change About this game/Stages I would have included:

• Better game representation. Sonic CD deserved more than being reduced to an easy as fuck Metal Sonic Boss. Sonic 2, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2,Sonic 06, and Sonic  Unleashed all had stages in addition to a boss, so there was no excuse not to have CD represented. Quartz Quadrant , Stardust Speedway, or Metallic Madness would have all been great choices.
  • Too many beach and city levels. I love Radical Highway, City Escape, and Rooftop Run, but one of them swapped out for an Ice Level would have been       great. Seaside Hill has no place being in the game either.
  •  Fuck Planet Wisp. Asteroid Coaster would have been a way better choice in its place.
  • Yes, people hate the storybook games, but I see no reason as to why they couldn't have been included. Ditto on Shadow's game. 
  • Generations, while fun, is far too easy. Even I suck at video games, but holy hell is this game a cakewalk. You pretty much have to get a D Rank Intentionally, haha. They could have amped up the difficulty in some places.
  • A few more bosses would have been appreciated. 
  • Speaking of bosses, a better final boss goes without saying. I have no clue how much crack Sonic Team was on to think it was a good way to end the game in any sense, but this certainly wasn't it. 

Thanks for creating this topic, Mikyeong. Brings back some good memories. :)

Edited by Chaos Incarnate
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think we all can agree that the Time Eater sucks. The music... the way it runs from you and those little fuckers called Sonic friends I cant shut them up. Ugh

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, looking back after four years...I'm still not a fan of the game.

I wasn't really sold on the idea from the start; I would've preferred a genuinely new game that could help solidify the new direction the series was taking, not a game about looking back, at the mistakes the series had made and at the games it had failed to live up to. I had already gotten tired of the boost gameplay by the time I finished Unleashed, so I wasn't exactly excited to see more of that from Modern Sonic. And after S4E1, I really didn't have much confidence in Sonic Team taking the time to get Classic Sonic's gameplay right.

And, well, the game was mostly what I expected it to be. Modern Sonic felt a little bit better than he did in Unleashed, and they did try to bring more platforming into the game than Unleashed had. But they didn't solve the problems I had with the boost; most of the level design was still narrow corridors with heavy amounts of automation to keep the player on track, and the platforming-heavy sections just exposed how little Sonic could do when he wasn't boosting. Classic Sonic still didn't play like the Genesis Sonics. He felt like they just stripped off most of Modern Sonic's moves without caring how his physics worked, which is completely missing the point of classic Sonic gameplay. In trade for the moves he lost he got a roll that didn't really work and a spindash that may as well have been the boost, considering how ridiculously overpowered it was. And of course they still couldn't break away from automation, adding all sorts of invisible little boosts to cover up for his poor physics, even on things as simple as halfpipes.

The story's nothing to praise, either. Sonic and friends get sucked through time, Sonic saves his friends with the help of himself, the Sonics beat the Eggmen and fix everything, the end. If they really wanted to bring in all these characters and old locations, they really should've done more with them. The game never gives any reason that you go to Green Hill rather than Spring Yard, or Chemical Plant rather than Metropolis. The other characters barely do any more after being saved than they did when they were statues, only contributing a few optional missions and some unnecessary "support" during the final boss. Nothing interesting ever happened, it was all just an excuse for them to say "remember this level?" and "remember this character?" until you got to the end.

...all that said, it's not a completely terrible game. It looked pretty, there were a few good remixed tunes, and I'll admit it was nice to see some old locations given a new HD coat of paint, in spite of my initial reactions. And I'd definitely rather play it over games like ShtH, '06, and RoL. As far as 3D Sonic games go, it's still one of the better ones.

• Thumbs Up 3

I do think the game could have done without the friends. They were just.... there. I do admit there was no story to and.... its funny because they act stupid when they said travel torugh time and space and they did that many games ago. 

This is the game that started my loss of faith in Sonic games sadly.

I missed the train wreck that Sonic 06 so Unleashed was the first modern game I played with what felt like a better though out story, beautiful locations and rather well done interaction between Sonic, Tails, Amy, Chip and what's his face. Right on the heels of that comes Sonic Generations, a visually stunning game with below average gameplay, severe lack of content, a story that reads like a giant excuse plot, friends there just to cash in on the nostalgia of fans and a total lack of replay value outside of going for better time scores. I dare say that this game feels like its literally just one third of a normal Sonic games length.

Further dragging it down was the odd feeling I got doing the modern stages where my mind just drifted off into an automatic mode while thinking. "Didn't I just play this level recently?"

In fact, this is the first Sonic game where I actually paused it mid stage and spent a minute pondering to myself if I shouldn't just turn it off and go do something else instead of beating Modern Crisis City.

One thing I would have loved was if instead of giving us those dumb racing side missions for Classic and Modern Sonic, the side missions would have been short playable sections with the friends instead so they really didn't just feel like something that was just there to cash in on.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

This was honestly the best song in Sonic Generations. 

That wasn't even used in the game, just the trailer.

My personal favourite song in Generations is:

It wasn't my favourite at first, the Classic version was, but it grew on me and I listen to it almost everyday!

• Thumbs Up 1