Awoo.

Samurai Jack is back!

Klinsy

Yess, I was wondering if the creators have the ending in mind, and it looks like it does. Time for a recap soon.

Also glad that, while it's more dark and adult, it'll still have some humor in it. Anyone who watched Samurai Jack back in the day will remember that there were a ton of funny moments to balance out the individual story episodes.

On 12/2/2015 at 3:50 PM, Tornado said:

First of all, no. Mako is dead. Let this one go.

Second of all, I'm getting kind of nervous with all of this continuation fever that Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon have been having for the past year or so. Even assuming the continuations are welcomed with open arms (unlikely already), are their really so little creativity in the industry at the moment that they need to basically crank out continuations of things from a decade ago to cash in on nostalgia? I'm pretty interested in the Hey Arnold revival, I admit, but I also remember that Hey Arnold ended in a fairly acrimonious way; so why should we expect any less fucking around by the suits this time around? I love Teen Titans Go when I never felt anything but ambivalence to the original show beyond the movie, and I'm well aware of all the shit that show gets for doing its own thing while having the gall to be linked to the original.

I know how you feel, I get tired of networks bringing back shows that don't need to be brought back and are only nostalgia fuel.

However, I feel as if Samurai Jack is an exception because that particular show didn't have an ending to the story. Even with that in mind, however, I was still worried that it'll be a long runner and the creators didn't have an ending in mind with the revival. Then I would have accused the show of just being nostalgia fuel.

But, with this new information that it'll just be 10 episodes that'll give it a conclusion, those fears are abated for me. 

• Thumbs Up 2

So found this: there was a Q&A with someone involved Samurai Jack at this animation festival: http://imgur.com/PCZqJm8

Can't copy & paste it because it's using imgur, so I'll summarize here:

1. The creators are going to try and keep the art style of the show the same as it was back when it aired. The only difference is that the backgrounds will be made digitally due to overseas production.

2. The IDW comic is non canon.

3. No plans to record a new theme song, but there will be a new opening animation. Can't say anything definite about it yet.

4. Since the story is reaching it's conclusion, the plot will be more dramatic. Basically telling us the show will be darker.

5. Can't say anything about recurring characters at the moment.

6. Tyler Bates will be working on the music.

7. They were surprised by the reaction when the show ended with no ending.

8. Aku's voice actor hasn't been cast yet.

And finally the usual stuff about thanking the fans for their support and spreading the word. Jack is back baby.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 6/16/2016 at 1:12 PM, kboyrulez12345 said:

6. Tyler Bates will be working on the music.

was he the composer of the last series?

7 hours ago, goku262002 said:

was he the composer of the last series?

No, that would be a man by the name of James L Venable. Here's his wiki page for reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_L._Venable

James was most known for doing the music for the Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.

Tyler Bates, on the other hand, is most known for doing the soundtrack for Guardians of the Galaxy. For TV, he also worked on another one of Genndy's show, and that's Sym-Bionic Titan: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyler_Bates

Hmm, I guess so long he captures the musical style its fine but I'd rather have the original composer back.

The new series has been given a TV-MA rating

No surprises here, but what a time to be alive. If you thought that last one was dark and violent, then this new rating takes it to a whole new level!

Interesting. Not much too say though, have to see how well it's executed. Although judging from that storyboard in progress, it looks like it's gonna be in good hands.

• 6 months later...

About time. AS's silence on the matter has been very irritating. If you're gong to advertise something for 2016 and then not meet that timeframe, let the fans know.

So pumped!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Who wants a trailer?!

Seems like Jack's gonna become a part of CN US's Toonami block. Airing Saturday March 11th at 11pm EST, right before Toonami begins with Dragon Ball Super at 11:30pm EST.

• Thumbs Up 7

Welp, definitely looks as dark as promised. And Jackie's got a gun, yo.

Hope we see some more lighthearted moments to balance things out.

Don't want it cheesy lighthearted but maybe just a bit here and there. They said from the get go it was going to be darker and I'm excited. Blood. Deaths. Should be a fun time :)

Any guesses on how Jack will ultimately finish off Aku? They've fought against each other so many times, I wonder how their final fight will up the stakes.

• 1 month later...

UK SSMB: Samurai Jack is airing every Thursday at midnight. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/17/2017 at 9:17 PM, PC the Hedgehog said:

Any guesses on how Jack will ultimately finish off Aku? They've fought against each other so many times, I wonder how their final fight will up the stakes.

Sword ex Machina?

29 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

UK SSMB: Samurai Jack is airing every Thursday at midnight. 

On FoxTV? I didn't see that coming. Wow, that is late lol. It looks like one episode has gone already..

Just now, Pawn said:

On FoxTV? I didn't see that coming. Wow, that is late lol. It looks like one episode has gone already..

Correct. Adult Swim's block is on FOX. 

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Correct. Adult Swim's block is on FOX. 

I didn't even know we had Adult Swim here. Thanks for the heads up, because I probably would've forgotten about it. (I tend to mostly stream shows these days and pay less attention to scheduled programming)

• Thumbs Up 1

I...have to sit down and digest how intense tonight's episode was! I won't give anything away, but boy if you thought last week's was dark, you haven't seen nothing yet!

Like, I can't even believe I watched something that good.  A goddamn work of art.  The colors, the tension, the action, the soundtrack; fucking everything was perfectly on point.

Genndy's a god.

• Thumbs Up 2

I was hooked as soon as the chase started. That was INSANE. One of the best episodes in the entire series. They didn't overdue the violence and the comedy is still there, but it's brutal when it needs to be.

• Thumbs Up 2

One of my absolute favorite things about this show is that it's keeping the Humor in tact while also making things more serious and a little bloodier than before. They could just have easily gone full blown Dark Edgy no laughs death and sadness but they didn't.

Sure you have Jack loosing his mind and his inner voice telling him to kill himself but it's balanced out with Scatting Robots and Aku as his own Psychiatrist.

• Thumbs Up 2