Awoo.

Samurai Jack is back!

Klinsy

24 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

One of my absolute favorite things about this show is that it's keeping the Humor in tact while also making things more serious and a little bloodier than before. They could just have easily gone full blown Dark Edgy no laughs death and sadness but they didn't.

Sure you have Jack loosing his mind and his inner voice telling him to kill himself but it's balanced out with Scatting Robots and Aku as his own Psychiatrist.

Aku has his own Psychiatrist was hilarious and considering this episode started off light-hearted, it was a pretty big twist to get dark later on

Oh! I forgot to mention my thoughts on Aku's voice, and it's honestly not that bad. Sure it's no Mako, but it'll do.

Man, this episode was fucking brutal. Loved a lot of the moments in it. Random non-spoiler points:

• The animation is fucking spectacular. The colours, the rain, the fluidity, the fast paced combat, it's all good.
  • The opening of this episode was a brilliant contrast to the first episode. Episode 1 wanted to establish how much has changed since Season 4 and showed Jack as a broken man, and the world gone to shit. Episode 2 shows Aku as the same hammy sarcastic villain who's meant to be the comic relief. It's incredibly well done, despite the mood contrast. 
  • The fighting. That shit was really done well.
  • Characterization. Jack's continued to make you feel bad about what he's been through.

Going into spoilers:

Spoiler

HOLY SHIT, THAT KILL. Seriously, it was fucking shocking to see that. Not only is it shocking to see the main hero properly kill someone in this show, but the sheer fact it happened so quickly, and without him even realizing what he was doing. Fuck, you could really feel bad for Jack. At this point, I'm beginning to think whoever the fuck is in charge of the Daughters of Aku is more evil than Aku himself, considering it was confirmed in this episode Aku is still using robots.

Aku is still a hammy fuck and it's amazing. The sheer fact he's basically found himself complacent is pretty funny. 

Jack being tormented by his conscience who's trying to tell him to give up and join their ancestors was pretty heartbreaking. It's seriously showing that Jack's greatest enemy at this point is his own guilt-ridden mind. 

Man, that was some good ass T.V. last night. I was so immersed with everything that had went on.

Spoiler

What hit me just a bit earlier was how subtle yet how strong they alluded to Jack's pysche and possible fate near the end of the episode. When Jack was arguing with himself earlier in the episode, they touched on the idea of seppuku (A suicide/ honor code method which involves using a small blade to disembowel oneself performed by Samurais). Continuing on to the end, we find Jack getting stabbed with a small blade which just so happens to be near his ab region. The fact that Jack also didn't initially feel or even realize the wound told me that Jack actually was urging to not off himself right there when reaching for the lodged blade instead of just looking like he was just realizing the pain afterwards.

The symbolism in this show is nuts, man. This episode raised so many levels and it's only episode 2! Definitely can't wait for next week's episode.

• Thumbs Up 2

Samurai Jack season 5 is excellent so far. It's all what I wanted out of a cartoon revival. The amazing art, animation and pacing is same as ever. I'm so glad to see this kind of animation returning to T.V. 

Episode 2 is pretty damn intense and brutal. My heart was actually racing throughout watching it. The symbolism is pretty strong too, especially with the wolf. But I feel like its also foreshadowing something...

Aku haven't changed a bit. He's still as goofy and menacing as before.  His new voice takes some time getting used too but , to be honest, no one can replace the original. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

These last two episodes didn't have the "holy shit did that seriously happen?" impact as the rest of season 5 has had. Still great but and to be honest it wouldn't be out of place with the previous seasons. I do have one important question about this weeks episode

Spoiler

Aku killed the Scottsman but he came back as a spirit because of his magic sword. So even if Aku kills Jack can he come back as a spirit as well? It would be a lose-lose situation for him when you think about it.

Spoiler

Scottsman said ''celtic magic'' so it could be his sword's specific power, not a power shared by all magic swords.

I felt this week's episode was the best so far. The torture and ashi killing the guy using those kids was great.

Samurai Jack thought based on what I've seen of Season 5 and past Samurai Jack episodes:

Spoiler

A major point of Season 5 is that Jack lost his sword and that he's gotten more cynical to the point of being willing to use more questionable tactics and decisions. What if because of this, when he finally does end up finding the sword (though probably not before Aku finds out he lost it in the first place, because that's what would likely happen to make the story more tense based on what I've seen so far), he ends up being unable to use the sword to its full potential because of his recent actions? Or worse, what if Aku (via proxy or something) ends up being able to use the sword itself to harm Jack? IIRC correctly, an episode in the original run of the show notes that an evil person cannot harm someone who is pure with the sword or something. But Jack isn't exactly pure anymore...

It's just a thought more than anything, but still it's something.

Boat scene had me look at Scaramouch like...

Did-he-just-say-what-I-think-he-said-mem

I KNOW it caught everyone else off guard too. You can't lie bout that.t

• Thumbs Up 5

5 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Boat scene had me look at Scaramouch like...

Did-he-just-say-what-I-think-he-said-mem

I KNOW it caught everyone else off guard too. You can't lie bout that.t

I had to do a double take when I first heard it! They sure aren't pulling any punches in regards to what they're getting away with!

Spoiler

You can tell the writers wanted to use the D word but they decided to get as close as possible to it. But yeah, it's clearly a matter of time before Scaramouche will inform Aku about Jack's sword; assuming in the meantime he will not find it wich will lead to a potential Batman Gambit. We'll see.

Also, it's official. Ashi has become fucking Tinkerbell (wasn't expecting the black stuff being literal coal attached to her body).

Also also, one of the robots in the bar clearly looked like Popeye. Nice reference.

Also also also HOLY SHIT DEMONGO CAMEO OUTTA NOWHERE. Wasn't expecting that.

• Thumbs Up 1

That was one of the best episodes to date, hands down.

Although I'm not going to lie. I was shocked when we heard our first proper swear of the series. Like we heard damn and hell, and die before, but I was caught really off-guard by just casually we heard the show's first proper swear.

Spoiler

The rave scene was my favourite. If you also rewatch the original scene, you'll notice the dance they do is the one Jack made out of Samurai fighting moves, and during the shadow sequence where they talk about Aku brainwashing them, the dance they use is the same dance as when they listened to Aku's music.

Also, this is amazing:

• Thumbs Up 4

The reason the pen- scene was so good is one cause we're older seriously I was in middle school when this show first came on.  next was the way they delivered the line. He was sitting there whistling and a slow zoom in when he just casually says wow that guy looked like one. I literally laughed out loud once for it. And I felt horrible for ashi but love her redemption arc. I can see ways this will end

I think the reason it worked so well is the sheer fact they practically tricked us. Most reboots of older shows that are meant to be darker and edger usually tends to go for more dirty humor and such. Jack was the very rare exception though. They used the age ratings boost to do things more meaningful and important with Jack's arc, Ashi, and the Daugthers of Aku. However, the key thing is throughout the entire series, they've have not stooped to those jokes. They retained the exact same humor the original show had, and strengthened it further by balancing it with the darker things that the new series has allowed.

That's why it's such a total shock to finally hear one of the characters swear, and yet it still seems to fit given the circumstances. Considering that it's one of Aku's minions, and the fact it's one we didn't know from the original series, it was a good idea to have him be the one to do it, because it fits in his personality to say those kind of things. If we suddenly had Jack running around swearing up a storm, it's just going to look childish and immature, especially if they drew specific attention towards it. But here, it doesn't overstay it's welcome, it's a character who fits, and it just was something totally unexpected due to taking a full six episodes to even happen.

• Thumbs Up 5

I could see the Scotsman cursing but regardless it was great. It's matured in a well mature way without saying damn every minute to be mature

The Samooorai had some small curses too (damn and hell) but you kinda don't notice it because not only they're not that big of a deal, but also it's totally in character for him to swear.

Knowing the mods of ss I rather not take a change of being finger sagged about offending some children.

7 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Is...penis considered a swear word now?

Maybe not a swear word, but not exactly a "clean" word if you get what I'm saying.

I don't know why, but that's just how it's treated.

2 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Maybe not a swear word, but not exactly a "clean" word if you get what I'm saying.

I don't know why, but that's just how it's treated.

Especially not when we're discussing STDs

Were not talking about deadly diseases though. Regardless it was a great episode

Were not talking about deadly diseases though. Regardless it was a great episode

So....Ashi kicking some serious ass, huh? Now that she and Jack are setting their sights on Aku, shit is about to get real!

• Thumbs Up 1

So, i guess it can be officially said now:

Spoiler

Jack is back. So good to see his redemption coming to a close.

Also, the high priestess of the Aku cult is clearly not dead: they're not tricking me at all with that arrow and Disney bullcrap, she's gonna come back, probably for the climax.

Spoiler

We thought some of Ashi's sisters weren't dead since they suffered similar fates, so I kinda doubt we'll see the priestess again.