Awoo.

Samurai Jack is back!

Klinsy

1 hour ago, Pawn said:

Until a couple of weeks ago, I didn't even realise this was only confirmed to be returning for one season. I looked it up when Ashi so easily questioned her extensive brainwashing. The story would have worked better had this season developed Ashi more gradually and had it ended with Jack's lowest point, only for her to convince him to continue fighting. That would have a left an entire season for the characters to bond, retrieve the sword and build towards the finale.

It feels like Genndy had an idea for two seasons or just more episodes and was told "Nope, 10 episodes" and has tried to cram all of his ideas into a short running time. Either that or he wants to be done with it (to move on from it or to avoid the possibility of a cancelled final season).

Nah from interviews he seems to want to be done. If anything he can get another show to end like atm biotic titan. Yea it's crammed but I'm sure it will go out with a bang

On 5/7/2017 at 3:01 PM, Waveshocker Sigma said:

I think expecting something on Avatar's level with this small amount of episodes, which we all knew about before even watching, is kinda asking for the impossible considering how much time Zuko had to be built as he was, broken down and then remade into something much more.

However, you're not wrong at all.

Heh, not even the Avatar series itself could really pull stuff off well when the number of episodes each season was allotted got degraded. *Cough* Legend of Korra*cough*mini-series my ass*cough*

But yeah, I'll admit, whenever a series, sequel or revival gets a notable decrease in the amount of episodes allotted for a season, that does tend to send off warning bells for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

That episode...

Just...damn.  One of the best of the entire season.

Also, calling it now: The Guardian's portal is going to reform before this is all over.  It'd be weird to bring it back up only for it to amount to just a setpiece for that battle.

I appreciate that last episode even more now!

Spoiler

Makes it all the more tragic and fucked up when Ashi gets corrupted, and how Jack can't bring himself to fight her, forfeiting his sword to Aku of all people.

Aku, it turns out, you ARE the father.

Also pretty lame that the Guardian got killed off. I was hoping for a final showdown with him, but turns out Aku wasn't lying when he said he destroyed all the portals.

Am I the only one who has this feeling that the finale ended up being super fucking rushed?

Like this was meant to be a one hour special, but they had to condense it into 30 minutes?

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Am I the only one who has this feeling that the finale ended up being super fucking rushed?

Like this was meant to be a one hour special, but they had to condense it into 30 minutes?

I liked the ending but yeah, I kinda felt to fast for my taste.

And goddamn, Jack has been going through hell for decades now, so it really fucking hurt to see the love of his life ripped away from him like that. I know it makes sense because of time travel but still, after everything he's been through Jack definitely deserved a 100% happy ending.

Part of me loved it.

The return of the original opening, the big epic melee battle featuring all of the important characters over the whole series vs. Aku, Jack returning to the past and reappearing right after he left, the final death blow against Aku, and dat epic last shot.

The other part felt underwhelmed.

Ashi creating a time portal to the past, the horribly rushed ending, and not being able to get a glimpse of how the future changed.

All in all, I liked it. But it REALLY needed to be longer.

As for this final season as a whole, I thought it was fantastic. It felt like the first four seasons with just enough edge to satisfy the older audience. If it had the whole 13 episodes the other seasons had, it could have truly shined.

So long, Samurai. It's been fun.

• Thumbs Up 2

Personally, even with the complaints I had about pacing before, I didn't have any problem with it here, except maybe for those last five minutes going a little fast.  That aside, though, I thought it was about as good of an ending as it could be.  Really nice way to wrap the series up.

Only major problem I had was that the future was just kind of...left.  Sure, Jack destroying Aku in the past changed the future (since it got rid of Ashi), but it still felt a bit weird to just cut off the future in the middle of the battle with Aku.

Still, not too big a deal.  It didn't really drag it down, just kind of bugged me.  Loved the finale regardless.

Well done, Genndy and co.

• Thumbs Up 2

Fuck that ending. It was great till they went and pulled that stunt. Jack honestly deserved a happy ending. And of course this means the future never happened

Man, it's Gurren Lagann all over again huh?

But at long last...the series has finally ended. And that is what is most important to me at this point.

It did feel very fast in the second half, but it was coherent enough to not ruin it...the whole shipping/anti-shipping thing aside.

1 minute ago, Meta77 said:

And of course this means the future never happened

Normally, that would've bothered me a lot more than just what I said in my last post, since I usually don't like time travel undoing everything.  But this episode did the one thing that makes it still work for me: It had everything he did still matter in the end, by having everyone he's saved over the years come to save him.  (Plus, it kind of helped that the opening monologue for most of the series was constantly reminding us the entire point was to undo the future.  Not like we couldn't see it coming.)

Still, though, would've been nice to leave the future on a more solid note anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

I loved the final episode; it was a very nice ending, one that was a long time coming.

But I can't help but feel sad that there's no more coming. The series has finally concluded. I think it was a satisfying ending, but the show was a part of my childhood.

But hey, that's how it works sometimes. And at least we finally saw how the series ended now. I'm just happy to have closure at last.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Had this exact same feeling: too many scenes and plot elements felt being dealt in a matter of seconds because Tartakovsky had to squeeze them in 20 minutes.
That being said, i liked... 75% of the episode. 10% is the rushed factor and the rest is for the final scenes.

Spoiler

Are you seriously telling me that Ashi waited until the marriage day to vanish? How does that even work? I thought days passed since the defeat of Aku.
And this is not counting the fact of the paradox problem: without her, noone would have created the time gate, ecc.; i guess this was another problem of the rushed factor, but it's still jarring. Implying also Ashi would have never been born in any other way, shape or form.
And that scene with the ladybug can go die in a hole: it's nearly identical to the one in Patch Adams, and that alone should be enough; that type of cliché is just cringeworthy to watch.
I'm also agreeing with what Tylinos said about just cutting away from the future: i get we need a sense of ambiguity to see if the world will have a better future, but just leaving all of Jack's friend without knowing if they will have a better or different future is sad: no doubt this feels another bit that was chopped.

But as i said, i enjoyed the vast majority of the episode, so overall it's still a good enough conclusion to me; besides, if i want a different ending there's the IDW comic version who's completely different from the conclusion we got.

But you wanna know what the worst part of this episode has been?

Spoiler

We never got to learn Jack's real name.

• Thumbs Up 5

I haven't been watching the series, only the comments you guys have been making, but as soon as I heard about the episode of Jack that was about him and Ashi being all romantic and stuff, I just knew Ashi had painted a sign on herself that said "I AM GOING TO DIE".

I mean, okay, never being born isn't quite the same, but it might as well be.

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

What sucks though is that literally everything from the show we loved. All the characters and friendships we made. Do no exist anymore. Sure jack got to the pass to fix it but loses everything else.

• Thumbs Up 1

Better to have a happy life with no recollection, than to have lived a struggling life that only just got better, really. 

Oh by the way, can someone pick up that phone?

Spoiler

BECAUSE I FUCKING CALLED AKU WOULD KILL THE GUARDIAN

Watched the final two episodes earlier today. It's been a great season, but I thought the last episode was underwhelming.

Spoiler

- I hated that Jack chose to go back to the past. I know that sounds strange, since that was his purpose for much of the show, but it just didn't work for me here. All of those cool and interesting characters we've met over the past five seasons not existing is such a waste. It also makes the times Jack chose to save some innocents instead of using a time portal seem strange; it would have had the same effect that using the portal in the finale had, so why wait? I would have preferred Jack making peace with the fact that the past is something he can't get back and working with his allies to help rebuild society.

- Jack and Aku didn't interact much this season and they didn't have a proper final confrontation. It made the ending feel lacking to me. I would have liked Ashi to have used her plot device powers to prevent Aku from being able to shape shift to safety, making him have to battle Jack one last time.

- The lack of build-up to the big showdown was strange. Structurally, I think it would have been cool if, after getting the sword back, Jack and Ashi recruited an army from the allies Jack has made over the years, in order to take the fight to Aku. I think the season would have benefitted from being 13 episodes, like the previous seasons, but perhaps that wasn't an option.

- I hated Ashi's fate. It felt like a lazy way to have a tragic ending after hitting the big reset button.

Like I said before my list of complaints, I really liked most of the season and I think the first three episodes are perhaps the best Samurai Jack has ever been. It was just that final episode that has left a sour taste in my mouth.

• Thumbs Up 4

You know, I think one of the major issues is people say we needed 13 episodes, which yes, I agree we really needed but I think after the first three episodes, which had a definitive arc to tell with Jack's twisted conscience and his own guilt for what happened over the past 50 years, I think in general, things lost focus and episodes shifted too much. Episode 4 and 5 were alright but 4 was more filler based, just hiding under the fact it tied in funny moments and a few moments of the Jack's guilt storyline. Episode 5 was really fast paced and a lot of it didn't make that much of an impact outside of the final ten minutes or so.

Episode 6 is where things got heavily disappointing in my opinion because...

Spoiler

While it was cool to see the good Jack has done around the world, and it showed Ashi finally changing, a lot of it was just reintroducing characters for the final episode, and on top of that, it had one of the biggest cop outs for me with the horseman. Ever since Episode 1, we had this Horseman character who was creepy and only appeared when Jack's mind was overridden by guilt. It was obvious it was a figment of his broken mind, a vision of a ghost haunting him. I saw so many cool theories about who it is. "What if it's Jack's guilt ridden mind telling him to give up and join Aku, and it's actually a vision of Jack who worked under Aku?" "What if it's a ghost of someone Jack failed to save in the past who was a constant reminder of Jack's failures?" 

And then it turned out that the ghost was real, and just trying to make Jack kill himself for his failures, and Ashi could see it, and it could attack Ashi, even though that really makes no sense because if that was the case, the Daughters of Aku should've easily seen him back in Episode 2 when Jack was hidden under the shelter. This just majorly disappointed me, and on top of that, it made Jack's entire guilt arc seemingly revolve around supposedly failing some people last episode and a spooky ghost trying to kill him with guilt. It was the first total disappointment for me to be frank. 

Episode 7 was a really meh episode too in my opinion. It actually had a lot of good ideas, but a lot of them felt a bit rushed in execution.

Spoiler

Like the High Priestess gets killed without a second thought by Ashi. There's no fanfare, no build up, no inner struggle outside of "Jack killed your family". For someone who placed Ashi through hell, and on top of that, caused nearly every single horrific thing to happen to her, I was expecting much more build up and more payoff other than a quick fight. She just randomly appears with Aku's army, and that's it. The stuff with Jack was pretty alright, although again, the confrontation with his guilt-ridden mind sort of felt really rushed and fast-paced. 

I don't even think I need to speak about Episode 8 because we all know how bad Episode 8 was. The perfect example of where the focus just completely failed. An episode that had only one plot point for the remainder of the series, and that was still badly handled because if they wanted to do it right, they should've split the point up in the other different episodes. This is what I meant with the focus being lost. Episode 8's runtime could've been used to give the finale a two-part episode, or even give previous episodes more time to build on some of the rushed plot points. 

• Thumbs Up 5

I would give this final season an B - but only because of how incredible lackluster the ending was. 

There's lot of great things I loved from it. The scenery in this show is absolutely beautiful, full of vibrate color. When the already amazing action is blended with the environment it creates very unique animation. That's the kind of stuff I want of see to more in television. I loved episode 2, 3, 4 and 6. Episode two probably being the best one in the entire season. The rest, besides the final, was good. Nothing great but still really enjoyable. I know everybody ripped on episode 8 but I'm one those few people who liked it. It was charming and funny.(I ship those two) 

The final was pretty meh. It was cool to see all the characters from the previous seasons joining to defeat Aku. Even then, it didn't felt like they accomplish much. How Aku is killed is so lame. Like, really? Then you have this wedding and Ashi disappears because of a time paradox and...

Ugh, everything felt so rushed. It would've been better with a two-partner but oh well...

Still, I love this cartoon to death and seeing it return on t.v after 13 years gives me joy. :) 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is a really good video going over what's wrong with the finale of Jack.

• 2 months later...

DHp-dZ2XUAAzGj3.jpg

This was found on Bluray's official forums.

Unlike IGPX, you don't have to wait more than a decade to get it on DVD.

The feeling is so nostalgic as this anime brings me back to my childhood. I haven't thought that they will be able to keep up the good flow of the story. 

25 minutes ago, realxandra said:

The feeling is so nostalgic as this anime brings me back to my childhood. I haven't thought that they will be able to keep up the good flow of the story. 

It's not an anime though...