Awoo.

Could you see a SatAM/Archie game

Miko

Question is as follows could you/do you want a game with SatAM elements or Archie elements/characters? How far could you see yourself wanting to adapt either?

Edited by Miko
  • Thumbs Up 1

The return of red-eyed creepy Robotnik to any mainstream official portrayal of Sonic is not something I endorse.

The SatAM story just irks me in general, but its horribly loose portrayal of Dr. Eggman is what gets me the most. At least Archie's current iteration of the character, while ruthless, still holds game Eggman's charisma and charm(Not to mention design). But that's just me.

I think it would work rather well, actually. Perhaps an RPG in the style of Chronicles (which seems to have at least been influenced by SatAM/Archie). I think the characterisations in Archie are more evolved in some respects for some of the characters, but I think I'd rather see more direct influence from SatAM storywise. Archie, much as I do like it, is very convoluted and has so many characters and plot holes, it would be difficult to extract a really solid ground for it in a game.

Aside from the turn-based RPG idea, I think it could work well as a Zelda-style action RPG too. I think that creeping around the Big City, or exploring the Great Forest, with your character of choice would be great fun. Not to mention running all around Knothole breaking into peoples' treehouses/huts and breaking their vases/pots and stealing their rings XD

Of course, bar any fan game, I can't ever see either game coming to fruition. The fanbase for it would be way too small and niche. But I can dream.

Could have been a neat spin off. I don't really want a game based on SATAM tbh though. I didn't really like it that much.

I could probably see a few characters and concepts working here and there, but to incorporate a lot of what's already happened in the series admittingly might be a stretch.

I think the problem with adding SatAM/Archie concepts is that a lot of the stuff they have has had a shelf life that's come and gone, already. By that I mean they'd have a bunch of characters or surrounding concepts that were popular tropes which eventually became trite over the years as society's opinions of that trend changed. And if the character/concept didn't become trite because of a trend, they dwindled because they were imbedded into a plotline that was inflexible and got resolved after awhile.

If they're going to add Archie/SatAM characters in there then popularity can't be the only factor as to why they're doing it. They need to find characters that would not only market well to the general public but would be flexible enough to appear game after game without going stale because they were so imbedded into one particular concept that got resolved and couldn't be touched upon after that. Its bad enough we already have characters like Shadow and the Blaze from Sonic Rush falling into this problem. Perhaps characters like Scourge, Mina, Bunnie, Scratch, Grounder and Cocoanuts could work, but I'm rather dubious about any of the others.

Edited by Picchi
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think a SatAM/Archie style game could work just fine as a spin-off RPG in a similar vein to Chronicles.

That being said, I have no idea how they would market the thing. Maybe they could play up the "alternate universe" factor like they do with the Storybook series.

On a more personal note, I've always wanted to make use of Bunnie's Mega Man/Bionic Commando style abilities in a video game.

Its not the only thing she could do, but I could probably see Mina being a guide/caretaker of chao minigames/ministories due to her ability to babysit children in the comics. Scourge, I thought made a more interesting partner to Rouge than Shadow did and has the kind of personality that could sell game to game without getting old. I'm actually rooting more for Scratch, Grounder and Cocoanuts because as opposed to the other badniks in Sonic X they seemed to have more of a personality and dynamic going for them. Snively's fine too, but I think they'd make the better lackeys.

Its not the only thing she could do, but I could probably see Mina being a guide/caretaker of chao minigames/ministories due to her ability to babysit children in the comics. Scourge, I thought made a more interesting partner to Rouge than Shadow did and has the kind of personality that could sell game to game without getting old. I'm actually rooting more for Scratch, Grounder and Cocoanuts because as opposed to the other badniks in Sonic X they seemed to have more of a personality and dynamic going for them. Snively's fine too, but I think they'd make the better lackeys.

The Super Sonic Search and Smash Squad were pretty cool. Villains that were both funny and that I could relate to.

I wouldn't be opposed to Mina shooting sonic blasts out of her mouth.:D

The SatAM gang got an appearance in Sonic Spinball, that's good enough.

The Super Special Sonic Search and Smash Squad were pretty cool. Villains that were both funny and that I could relate to.

Fixed!

Edited by Jix Hedgehog

Here's hoping that Sonic Chronicles 2 gets a better writer like Ian Flynn and has the Freedom Fighters. Building the gameplay to be more interesting would help too.

The SatAM gang got an appearance in Sonic Spinball, that's good enough.

..... Why's THAT good enough? If you asked me, they should've released the SatAM game from SEGA Technical Institute and Sonic Xtreme. That would've both saved the SatAM characters from being pushed out by the new cast like Shadow, Rouge, and dozens of recolor hedgehogs yet to come as well as Fang. I mean... Ever since the canning of Xtreme, we have not seen Nack in new material except the comics. I mean, it would've made sense to put Nack into Unleashed.

P.S. I have nothing against Shadow and Rouge. I just hate that they've been caught up in the trend of new characters in the Sonic games. It was okay to have a new character each game in the Genesis era but now? SEGA has been throwing out some very generic, bland characters. However, Chip and Dark Gaia were actually good newcomers, despite the final boss switcheroo still going on.

Chip and Dark Gaia were actually good newcomers, despite the final boss switcheroo still going on.

Dark Gaia doesn't talk, or even display the slightest sign of having a personality beyond "Roar, destroy!"

I dunno, maybe you can see depth in him that I can't, but Dark Gaia seems more like a vaguely-intelligent natural disaster than a truly fleshed-out "character" in any sense.

Dark Gaia doesn't talk, or even display the slightest sign of having a personality beyond "Roar, destroy!"

I dunno, maybe you can see depth in him that I can't, but Dark Gaia seems more like a vaguely-intelligent natural disaster than a truly fleshed-out "character" in any sense.

Well, hmm... I didn't know what I was saying there.... But that epic struggle between Chip and Dark Gaia is still awesome. It's just that DG had no personality yes.

Yeah, that's about right. Like I said, I don't know what I was saying. Their conflict was about the only good thing DG had going for him.

Fixed!

Heh, had a feeling I was missing an "S."XD

No, I really wouldn't want to see anything like that.

I don't know, I'm really just not a big fan of SatAM. It feel like it's Sonic in name, and nothing else. I didn't like the characters it introduced either. The FF were all fairly boring and just hogged all of the screen time, much like Chris.

Well someone thought I was spamming because I was succint and to the point (no, nothing). So I'll rephrase it.

Firstly: I never liked SatAM/Archie, so that's one reason against.

Second: the characters are way off model to those of the current storyline. They look out of place and out of the current style of the franchise. The way their eyes / hair for example, clash violently with the regulars. Even their style or clothes.

Third: We cannot have Sally, since the princess thingy was exhausted (and hated) at 06. It's clich

Edited by redmenace

The SatAM universe would make a better RPG than a platformer. SatAM didn't really seem to take advantage of Sonic's speed whatsoever, so I can't imagine a SatAM game doing so, either.

Well someone thought I was spamming because I was succint and to the point (no, nothing). So I'll rephrase it.

Firstly: I never liked SatAM/Archie, so that's one reason against.

Fair enough.

Second: the characters are way off model to those of the current storyline. They look out of place and out of the current style of the franchise. The way their eyes / hair for example, clash violently with the regulars. Even their style or clothes.

Sonic used to be very different himself. There's no reason why these characters couldn't be updated to fit in with the current style. Although I actually really like their original style and don't see why all the characters couldn't be that style.

Third: We cannot have Sally, since the princess thingy was exhausted (and hated) at 06. It's clich

Oh great, more useless NPC's!, just what Sonic needed.

They were both total crap. Chip was little more than an asthmatic Scrappy with wings, and all his comic relief amounted to was food jokes. Seriously, how many times has "he eats a lot" been used to try and make a character funny? I might as well ask someone to count grains of sand. As for Dark Gaia, it looks to me as though Sonic Team got a package deal on generic evil monsters a few years back (Cheaper together!) and they didn't want them to go to waste.

Why does a character need to have 'special powers' to be a good character?

I think it's more a matter that she doesn't add to the gameplay. But technically even if a character didn't have super powers they could be an NPC or like in Amy's case be given something. Keep in mind folks Amy was a MANGA character, and didn't really have any abilities to call her own. Still though, I would not want to see Sally.

As for the other arguments... no, stuff like roboticization wouldn't fit in with mainstream canon. It would have to be a stand-alone game set outside of the main canon. But I don't see why that wouldn't work?

1. Amy's backstory from the manga was greatly altered to suit her game appearance. Can Bunnie's be altered to fit? Yeah. I often cite Teen Titan's character Cyborg when talking about Bunnie. Do you honestly NEED to know about where the parts come from to be a fan? No. And assuming there's some explanation irrelevant to roboticization given in the games it could be in manual or in a breif description of the character during character select.

Anyway, I'd like to see Mina Mongoose or Bunnie in a game. But I can't really picture anyone else. Ant's not a cowardly French stereotype in Archie, but that said Ant isn't much of ANYTHING ever since he

a. Stopped pining over Sally.

b. Lost his cocky attitude which transformed to a wtf cowardly attitude because it was in SatAM. Then that

transformed into...well I don't even know what to call it anymore. He's pretty boring in Archie.

Give Twan a sword and he'd be a hysterical addition. I love him to bits. Then again, I love pretty much the whole SatAM cast.

Antoine was the best thing to come out of SatAM. Much like with Big, I seem to always like the outcasts or goofy ones when it comes to series that I like (Detective Gumshoe FTW). Incidentally though, I hated his mini-episodes. :S

Though there was this one story in Archie in which Antoine inexplicably becomes this badass embittered war veteran who constantly spewed serious monologues as he fought against Snively's Eggrobos. That story crushed my heart.

Still, I like the idea of Antoine not being useless. I really want him to actually do stuff.

Edited by Jake

Y'know, a crossover might be more interesting than just saying "Okay, it's SatAM, but a game!"

The contrasts between the characters are stark enough that some really interesting interaction could happen. The moral dissonance between the overlord Julian and the supervillain Eggman would probably be the greatest and most notable difference, but both Sonic and Tails have many subtle contrasts between their game and cartoon counterparts as well.

In a way, Julian is like a nightmarish caricature of Eggman, and represents the beast Eggman could've turned into if not for the positive influences on his life(His grandfather, his compassionate/respectful foes, etc.). Meeting such a twisted version of "himself" could be very enlightening to his character, though arguably Eggman Nega of the games already serves this purpose...