Awoo.

Could you see a SatAM/Archie game

Miko

That would actually be really interesting, especially the part where Eggman meets Robotnik.

I can imagine their fighting tactics to be different, too. Robotnik and his army (as well as his tendency to try and roboticize everything that moves) wouldn't really stand a chance against game Sonic, who is less prone to taunting and more prone to destroying everything in his path. Game Sonic could more easily take down Robotropolis than SatAM Sonic could.

By the way. I can imagine Robotnik getting fed up with Eggman enough to try and roboticize him. In which case, Eggman could easy avoid this fate with all the inventions he has up his sleeve. In fact, wouldn't be cool if Eggman had gadgets similar to Inspector Gadget, except that he's flesh-and-blood and not a cyborg? No? Oh well...

Edited by Jake

I think he might not expect SatAM Buttnik to be quite so brutal though. After all, he's used to playing a game that does have a vague sense of respect and good sportsmanship in it when he's up against Game Eggman. He could be caught off guard by SatAM Buttnik's no nonsense kill-the-hedgehog approach...

It's kinda funny because SatAM Sonic actually treats everything more like a game than game Sonic does (why doesn't SatAM Sonic just spin-dash the Swat Bots? Luring them into a pit of acid sounds like too much trouble unless you're playing around...) but is more familiar with Robotnik's ruthlessness. Game Sonic could be caught off-guard, but seeing as how he's dealt with ruthless villains before and isn't naive about them, I don't think he'd be surprised for long, especially since SatAM Robotnik looks different...

Edited by Jake

I think he might not expect SatAM Buttnik to be quite so brutal though. After all, he's used to playing a game that does have a vague sense of respect and good sportsmanship in it when he's up against Game Eggman. He could be caught off guard by SatAM Buttnik's no nonsense kill-the-hedgehog approach...

Yeah, I could see that.

SatAM Sonic would probably be overly distrusting of Game Eggman too, even if he eventually decided to help the good guys once he realizes how horrifying his SatAM counterpart is, and wants nothing more to do with him.

It could really be excellent character development on Eggman's part- He immediately wants to work with "himself", and is initially very impressed by his technology and methods... But he becomes more and more disturbed by his counterpart's affinity for destruction and cruelty, and is ultimately forced to switch sides, unable to help Julian in good conscience anymore.

A switch in sides that spells playability, perhaps. Oh ho ho, yes.

From a purely aesthetic standpoint, there's a nice contrast too. SatAM Robotnik's dull grey, gritty machines versus Eggman's colorful cute robots. Throw the heroes into this war of the mad scientists, and you've got quite a conflict a-brewin'.

Kind of a shame that Eggman never did that with Nega, at least from what I know (never played Rivals).

Also, the Freedom Fighters would probably be reluctant to work with Eggman; even if they do put him part on their team, they'll never fully trust him because of the things Robotnik did before. Game Sonic and the others would have Eggman's back, however.

But this sort of stuff actually gets me excited to think about; it helps that I'm a fan of SatAM, but seeing a contrast between the two universes and how they would play off each other (and why not? It'll never happen, but they're both part of the Sonic franchise, so it's not that farfetched) is really fun to speculate.

Edited by Jake

Kind of a shame that Eggman never did that with Nega, at least from what I know (never played Rivals).

He actually does help stop Nega in both Rivals games, especially in Rivals 2, where Eggman is a nonplayable protagonist for the entire game, directing Shadow and Metal Sonic to stop Nega's plot to unleash a world-destroying monster.

One great part is that Silver is initially distrustful of Eggman because he thinks he's Nega. Eggman responds "Don't worry, I'm the REAL Dr. Eggman!" And this is enough to calm Silver down, because of course, the real Dr. Eggman is someone he can trust.

And it was awesome. Even though he wasn't playable, the Rivals games were great character development for the Doc.

Edited by El Gran Gordo

Because of Nega, making Julian from another dimension would seem trite. It'd probably be better if he were just a relative.

Then how would you account for the doubles of all the other characters who appear in both 'verses?

Nega has some subtle differences from Julian anyway.

Julian, while pure evil as Nega is, still wants to control the world. He wants a perfect mechanized order where, essentially, he's the only organic free-thinking thing left alive.

Nega, conversely, just wants anarchy and chaos for its own sake. He wants destruction, even if he himself is destroyed to see it happen.

Both of these are pure evil variants of the original Eggman, but both take it in very different ways.

All this talk about Eggmen of different universes meeting each other makes me realize what i shame it was that Archie-Eggman and Sonic X-Eggman (well, Archie-Sonic X-Eggman, to be more accurate) never met in that short crossover in Sonic Universe. Of course, the contrast between Archie-Eggman and Sonic X-Eggman isn't nearly as big as that between SatAM-Eggman and game-Eggman, but still. It would be interesting to see how the almost heroic Sonic X-Eggman would react when he found out what a sociopathic bitch his Archie-twin is. Oh, well, maybe if they ever make another crossover...

Then how would you account for the doubles of all the other characters who appear in both 'verses?

Its possible that they could've been part of Nega's homeworld.

Also, to elaborate, I'm saying that the notion of having another Eggman from yet another dimension when there's been a prior game dealing with a similar plotpoint is.. redundant.

Edited by Picchi

SOA adding in their own characters into the game series is like ... those 2 Metal Gear games that Hideo Kojima had nothing to do with :(

By your logic Amy shouldn't be in the games since she was originally a comic book character.

Oshima was the director of Sonic CD (And he's the one who added her in), whoever came up with the FF was not involved with the game's development. Amy also has the distinction of actually being drawable in the Sonic style.

Relatively little is known about Sonic CD's development, most of what we know about the development of Sonic 2 and 3 we got from Americans who used to work at STI, but Sonic 1 and Sonic CD were made 100% in Japan. While we know a lot about Sonic's creation as a character, we know little about the development of the game, and even less about Sonic CD. From our understanding, even Tom Kalinske (Then president of SoA) thought it was a Sega CD port of Sonic 2. For all we know, Amy could have already planned for Sonic CD before she appeared in that comic.

For all we know, Amy could have already planned for Sonic CD before she appeared in that comic.

"For all you know" isn't substantial enough. If they wanted to advertise Amy for an upcomming game, why are her designs so different? The orignal Amy looks nothing like the one in CD. Also, how would you go explaining SEGA later taking and adapting the character Charmy Bee who was also in that comic?

Edited by Picchi

Sonic used to be very different himself. There's no reason why these characters couldn't be updated to fit in with the current style. Although I actually really like their original style and don't see why all the characters couldn't be that style.

They'd have to change way too many things and be stuck with almost nothing from their original design. And Bunnie would be a very problem to tackle on.

Edited by redmenace

Would SEGA even approve of a SatAM game? I'd think they wouldn't want it stepping on the toes of the game storyline. Secret Rings, Black Knight and Chronicles, while not a part of the main series, adhere to the universe of the games. Heck, you could pick and choose just about every Sonic spin-off game to fit into the main storyline somewhere. Example: Sonic Adventure -> Sonic Shuffle -> Sonic Adventure 2 -> Sonic Heroes -> Sonic Riders -> Shadow

But were there to be a SatAM game, it would mostly just bring confusion. Remember, the cartoon has been off the air for years and even the comics storyline is now a mish-mash of every universe.

That's like saying they couldn't adapt Amy and Charmy. It was off the air for 10 years or whatever but that doesn't technically mean you can't introduce some concepts or characters that actually may have a place in the games.

Reintroducing old game characters is different from reintroducing old tv show characters on a completely different media platform. There's a much higher chance of gamers recognizing Charmy or Amy in a new game than gamers recognizing Rotor the Walrus from a 1993 cartoon.

I was trying to bring to your attention these characters were from a manga which had a story VERY different from the games as you know them. Sonic being some nerdy kid that transforms into Sonic with the help of the Gods? I think I missed that game ;p

Even if we wanted to argue the stories couldn't fit why is it that suddenly NONE (and that means ANY Archie exclusive characters as well) would be unable to work with just a slight tweak in backstory if ANY at that.

I was trying to bring to your attention these characters were from a manga which had a story VERY different from the games as you know them. Sonic being some nerdy kid that transforms into Sonic with the help of the Gods? I think I missed that game ;p

Even if we wanted to argue the stories couldn't fit why is it that suddenly NONE (and that means ANY Archie exclusive characters as well) would be unable to work with just a slight tweak in backstory if ANY at that.

Yeah, Amy and Charmy were first in a manga. But does the average gamer or Sonic fan actually know this? I'll bet you that to 99% of the gaming public believe: Charmy = Chaotix and Amy = Sonic CD.

As for Archie characters in traditional Sonic games, thats not the main discussion here. Of course, any Archie character could be shoehorned in (much like Cream in Heroes), but they wouldn't follow the same background story as the comics.

An exclusively SatAM game, while not impossible, would be very difficult to get past SEGA. Firstly, I doubt it would do well in the European and Asian markets as the Fleetway series rules the UK and the game storyline (as well as the OVA and manga, as mentioned) are more well known in Japan than SatAM is. Secondly, it would conflict with the current storyline. My point above was that the spin-offs stick within the main series universe (SA,SA2, SH, Shadow, S'06, Unleashed), but are not required to understand plot developments within the main series. A SatAM game would have to establish a new universe, which IMO it's best we leave multiple universes to the Archie series and leave the games to one universe.

Edited by Doctor Eggman

Of course, any Archie character could be shoehorned in (much like Cream in Heroes), but they wouldn't follow the same background story as the comics.

I agree that we should be weary of characters who relied to much on another 'verse's backstory, but not all of them were like that. Characters like Bunnie, Mina, Scourge, Scratch, Grounder, and Cocoanuts don't have too much in the way of one, so they can be tweaked to fit wherever SEGA wants to place them.

I agree that we should be weary of characters who relied to much on another 'verse's backstory, but not all of them were like that. Characters like Bunnie, Mina, Scourge, Scratch, Grounder, and Cocoanuts don't have too much in the way of one, so they can be tweaked to fit wherever SEGA wants to place them.

I figure Bunnie could probably be a failed Eggman experiment...Or just some girl with prosthetic limbs.

"For all you know" isn't substantial enough. If they wanted to advertise Amy for an upcomming game, why are her designs so different? The orignal Amy looks nothing like the one in CD. Also, how would you go explaining SEGA later taking and adapting the character Charmy Bee who was also in that comic?

As per usual, the point of my post is 100% ignored in favor of some random aside...

Having thought about it, I agree actually that Bunnie could appear as she is without needing an explanation for her metallic limbs. Heck, in some ways she's one of the least abnormal characters anyway! No one ever explained many other characters' physical quirks.

She could be kinda shady about it if it had to be addressed. An accident or something she doesn't like to talk about.

Either way, she'd have to be in the game because she kicks ass, pure and simple.