Awoo.

Survey: Did Archie make the ultimate Sonic story?

Jhreamer

This might be more of a therapeutic thing for me right now, but I want opinions on this.

If some of you have seen my statuses or art thread, you'll know that I'm about to begin my 8-year-planned dream project of a Sonic manga. For that entire time, I've been afraid to read the Archie Sonic series, because glimpses I saw seemed to be fantastic. I worried that it would make my plan feel pointless. 

Well, I started reading. I read some of the newer ones. And my fears were absolutely true. It seems perfect to me. They captured the tone, depth, and vibrancy that I wanted to create. It's beautiful.

I still want to do my project. But do you guys think that would be redundant? A serious, moral-filled story revolving around the Sonic world? Did Archie seal the deal? Or would you like to see another take on it?

Sorry. I'm thrilled that something as exquisitely sublime as Archie Sonic exists in this world, and selfishly crushed that it's already been done. Just need to gush and vent a bit.

Edited by JohnTheDreamer
  • Thumbs Up 3

Do it, man! That's like saying that there's no point to, oh... Drawing fanart of something, in case (as you said) it's redundant. Who cares that it's been done already? You're making your own thing!

Good luck!

I don't think that's a reason to not write your own comic. If anything, it should provide inspiration.

You may want to take another look at what exactly your motives are and what you're going for with this new project. What will it uniquely bring to the table? I guarantee you it'll be different from Archie in a lot of ways, so think about what particular strengths it would have that might not be something particularly focused on in Archie. You don't have to aspire to be better than or even as good as Archie Sonic - just different in some valuable way.

• Thumbs Up 5

Don't think that just because Archie has been well recieved that you can't try your own. You might even get to be a part of Archie if you desire - ever heard of the Silver fancomic "Ghosts of the Future"? Well that's what a fan did before she became a part of the comics and got to make a Silver arc for its Universe series.

What you do doesn't have to be like Archie. It can stand well on its own if you make it so. Just remember to enjoy it.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 7

Archie did a good job combining most of the Sonic games in one solid canon. If you plan on doing the same thing (that is fixing the canon as well) then it might not be a good idea, but if you want to draw a unique  and deep story that has nothing to do with fixing the canon then you should definitely do that. As been previously stated, you could even become a part of Archie.

Well, I started reading. I read some of the newer ones. And my fears were absolutely true. It seems perfect to me. They captured the tone, depth, and vibrancy that I wanted to create. It's beautiful.

Read some of the older issues before the current writer took over, lol it was kind of a mess to say the least. I'd also like to point out that Archie recently did a complete reboot as well, which made a point to make its canon much closer to the games.

That being said, feel free to follow your passion and work on your project. You may end up creating something very special.

I think it's still too early to tell if the post-Super Genesis Wave world is the "ultimate" Sonic story.  Two years after the fact and we're still in the first arc of the new universe with characters, relationships, backstory, and the workings of the world still being set up.  So far it seems better than what came before it, with little to no political drama and countless love triangles, but I think it's just too early to tell if this is the "definitive" version of Sonic.

Archie did a good job combining most of the Sonic games in one solid canon.

... I'm sorry, we know this how exactly?  Yes, we know that the new timeline before 252 is basically the games plus whatever elements from the Dic cartoon trilogy SEGA allowed the writers to put in, but we still don't know much about the new universe's past outside of "the games happened" and a few origins stories.  We don't know the order in which the games occurred, we don't know how many of the games have happened, we don't know all of the significant changes made to the events of the games, we don't know all the stuff that could've happened in between the events of the game (still trying to figure out when the Lupe flashbacks from 277 happened), we don't know how the Blaze/Silver/Eggman Nega/Rush/Rivals/06 chain of events happened, we still know very little about the past of this new universe other than the confirmation of some of the games happening and a few origin stories.

Well, we do know that Sonic: Genesis > Sonic Generations > World's Collide happened, but according to Flynn "details vary" regarding the events of Genesis and World's Collide (and I'm guessing Generations as well based on precedent).  So again, we know almost next to nothing about this new universe's past.

I can't really say anything here that hasn't already been said, but go for it man! The only thing stopping you is yourself :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, amazing response. I love this place.

You may want to take another look at what exactly your motives are and what you're going for with this new project. What will it uniquely bring to the table? I guarantee you it'll be different from Archie in a lot of ways, so think about what particular strengths it would have that might not be something particularly focused on in Archie. You don't have to aspire to be better than or even as good as Archie Sonic - just different in some valuable way.

Brilliant, thank you. The thing that struck me most was Ian's writing -- after my own heart. But just because two writers may have similar styles while writing a story based on the same franchise, it doesn't mean the stories will be at all the same. 

Don't think that just because Archie has been well recieved that you can't try your own. You might even get to be a part of Archie if you desire - ever heard of the Silver fancomic "Ghosts of the Future"? Well that's what a fan did before she became a part of the comics and got to make a Silver arc for its Universe series.

I was not aware that was a fan. Makes sense; Archie seems to absolutely love their fans in many regards. 

This has given me great insight; exactly what I wanted. Thank you all. 

• Thumbs Up 1

... I'm sorry, we know this how exactly? 

So far it's the only semi-official (if not official) source of a solid canon storyline. SEGA messed up the storyline pretty well, and I don't count Fleetway for reasons. If you know any other official sources of a good canon storyline then let me know, I would be glad to know.

Yes, we know that the new timeline before 252 is basically the games plus whatever elements from the Dic cartoon trilogy SEGA allowed the writers to put in, but we still don't know much about the new universe's past outside of "the games happened" and a few origins stories.  We don't know the order in which the games occurred, we don't know how many of the games have happened, we don't know all of the significant changes made to the events of the games, we don't know all the stuff that could've happened in between the events of the game (still trying to figure out when the Lupe flashbacks from 277 happened), we don't know how the Blaze/Silver/Eggman Nega/Rush/Rivals/06 chain of events happened, we still know very little about the past of this new universe other than the confirmation of some of the games happening and a few origin stories.

Well, we do know that Sonic: Genesis > Sonic Generations > World's Collide happened, but according to Flynn "details vary" regarding the events of Genesis and World's Collide (and I'm guessing Generations as well based on precedent).  So again, we know almost next to nothing about this new universe's past.

With all it's flaws it's still better canon story than what sega been feeding us, though it's not the point.
I only said that you shouldn't touch the canon while someone official is working on it - it defeats the purpose.

I don't know what the author wants to write about and draw exactly (and by the way anything else pretty much goes) - he might write and draw arcs or completely different Sonic stories all he wants, and it will probably be great (I'm pretty sure of it), but I really doubt that event tackling the canon (which many scriptwriters tend to do) is a good idea.

Besides I don't think that author wants to build up his own canon storyline, but if he does I just feel responsible to let him know that this MIGHT not be a good idea.

I loved it up until the exact moment Ian Flynn took over. I see no reason to not make the comic.

One comic existing and being good doesn't mean another can't exist. I mean, DC and Marvel are a bit notorious for putting out different comics starring the same characters.

With comics, you've got to embrace the idea of the Multiverse, infinite universes where things are either subtly different from each other or sometimes drastically different, and Sonic is no stranger to this concept. They've explored a Multiverse in his own comic before, and practically every piece of media outside of the games is a part of Sonic's multiverse, and they're all nothing like the games, and they're likely not trying to be, because they're telling their own story.

So don't think of it like "Someone else made a comic, now there's no point", think of it as your own contribution to the Sonic Multiverse. ( just don't expect any official acknowledgement for it )

As for my opinion on archie, im very behind, and I only have what's been reprinted in graphic novel form. I have a love hate relationship with the older comics, mostly love though. But I adore all the new stuff like Saga series  and Universe.

Archie did a good job combining most of the Sonic games in one solid canon.

I haven't read the Archie comics. Do/Did they ever explain the craziness between Blaze being from the Rush series and "06+".

I loved it up until the exact moment Ian Flynn took over. I see no reason to not make the comic.

When did this happen, again? Forgive me, I'm a total noob at the comics.

I haven't read the Archie comics. Do/Did they ever explain the craziness between Blaze being from the Rush series and "06+".

To my knowledge, as far as the comics are concerned Blaze has always been in the Sol Dimension. That whole mess from the games never happened.

Also, Eggman Nega is currently off limits for them to use. Still much better then how the games have handled things tho. 

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 1