Awoo.

Chaos Emeralds....Super Sonic....What to do with them? Heres an Idea!

RappedinBlacX

So, just yesterday I 100% Sonic Colors DS - S ranks on all Main missions, character missions, special zones, boss zones, all red rings and mostly (Silver and Blaze can go Fuck themselves with almost supernatural S rank requirement) enjoyed every minute of it. Unlike the console version, this has a Super Sonic stage, but the dialogue before the fight is "oh yea, Chaos emeralds/Super Sonic, I guess". It made me realize just unimportant Chaos Emeralds and Super Sonic are becoming to the series. Super Sonic fight Novelty wore off a long time ago, therefore making Chaos Emerald collecting feel pointless especially when the Super Sonic stage blows. Generation brought back Super Sonic in stages, but hes not really interesting. So I was thinking how to make Chaos Emeralds and Super Sonic more interesting.

So what if each Chaos Emerald gathered gave the crew a unique ability that they can equip per stage that used Rings as an energy source:

Assume Sonic has 60 rings -

Green Emerald Chaos Boost - Sends Sonic up to 60 seconds in the future 

Blue Chaos Control - sends Sonic up to 60 secs in past (does not rewind stage time)

* with above powers where you end up is 60secs from your usage point, so if you end up over a pit ... Sorry. 

Light Blue Chaos Break - Freezes everything in place for up to 60 secs

Red Chaos Flare - destroys all enemies/obstacles onscreen

Ext

Super Sonic - All chaos abilities equiped

How you guys feel about this? 

Edited by RappedinBlacX

Would make the game really gimmicky and unbalanced unless it was an end game unlock. 

Also the 60 seconds into the future would not work at all since people play stages differently.

Red chaos flare power can also potentially break a level meaning the player would have to restart the game/level if they used it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Would make the game really gimmicky and unbalanced unless it was an end game unlock. 

Also the 60 seconds into the future would not work at all since people play stages differently.

Red chaos flare power can also potentially break a level meaning the player would have to restart the game/level if they used it.

Nah, I dont think so. All of those powers were actually inspired by Shadow the hedgehog. When I said up to 60 secs I mean that player not only has control over when they stop but the actual advance. Its not automatic.

Chaos Flare is just destroying enemies and breakable objects not causing who level to crumble. 

Thats a huge sig btw 

Edited by RappedinBlacX

Nah, I dont think so. All of those powers were actually inspired by Shadow the hedgehog. When I said up to 60 secs I mean that player not only has control over when they stop but the actual advance. Its not automatic.

You don't get it.

you're mixing up distance and time.

A player can go 60 seconds into the future and decide where they stop.

But what is the use in that if I can go further than what the game specifies is 60 seconds?

As for the game breaking bit.

I use the power up right before I encounter a pit which I have to use an enemy or enemies to cross. How do I do that if I use a power which destroys all enemies in draw distance? 

You don't get it.

But what is the use in that if I can go further than what the game specifies is 60 seconds?

I use the power up right before I encounter a pit which I have to use an enemy or enemies to cross. How do I do that if I use a power which destroys all enemies in draw distance? 

You don't get it.

Sorry, let me elaborate. When I said 60 secs, I Mean ring based 60 secs not actual time based 60 seconds. So lets say in a 2D Sonic game when activating Chaos Boost Sonic goes into free fly mode as if he was Super Sonic and you decide to expend all 60 rings; you have a 60 ring count to get as far in the level as possible. You can still choose your paths but make sure your over solid ground when its over. If you know the level layout you will obviously cover more ground with 60 ring count than someone who doesnt.

Red Chaos Emerald is definitely more attack based, so you wouldn't use it in situations where you need enemies to cross.  

Tbh these still sound boring to me because they have the same issue that has made me not care about Super Sonic in stages since he was re-introduced as such a thing:

Since in said games, he is the reward for 100% completion, essentially it means the final unlockable, your grand prize for proving you are a master of all the game has to offer in terms of developer-designed challenges... is to make the game easier.  These powers are no different.  The travelling forward one is my least favourite for the same reason Chaos Control bothered me in Shadow, you literally unlock the ability to not play the game.  I will usually avoid using it as much as I can in Shadow because it frustrates me to watch all the platforming fun whizz by as Shadow sails over the top of it.

I honestly 100% don't know what I'd do with Super Sonic.  I think the only time he's ever been interesting to me as a concept was in, of all games, Sonic 4.  I like the way Super Sonic has his own leaderboards on the time attack mode, since it provides a new way to play - time attack with regular Sonic, or a version of time attack where obstacles aren't an issue, you just have to worry about the stage geometry - but you move twice as fast, so you really need to know what you're doing at a rate of movement much faster than regular.  It's not really my thing, but it's the only time Super Sonic has meant anything other than "here go nuts and have fun destroying everything", which ultimately is just not fun for me since it usually involves trivialising the challenges the game is meant to provide.

It might be a matter of whether the stage design considers him properly.  I felt like Sonic 3 & Knuckles did, since the hardest stages tend to be the hardest to stay in super form for the entire stage (thus losing Super Sonic is all the riskier on these difficult stages).  Though I will admit a big part of that is that said zones have a moment somewhere that simply wastes your time, usually before or during the boss (Act 2 of Launch Base, Lava Reef and Death Egg being the main culprits).  That's never felt the case in the recent 3D titles with in-level Super Sonic.  But I dunno, I still don't like him even as an on paper concept.

I feel he should remain a mid-game reward, never the reward for 100% completion.  My ideal final unlock for a platformer is always a difficult stage to round the game off if we're being uncreative but safe about it, but I'd even take a cheap Hard Mode unlock like what Heroes and Shadow had over Super Sonic as the 100% reward, who is essentially, a cheap Easy Mode unlock.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 2

Really,is there any point to try to make him interesting? They should focus on making their franchise more interesting than one thing.

Really,is there any point to try to make him interesting? They should focus on making their franchise more interesting than one thing.

I say this as someone who uses this same response as a kneejerk response to anything that seems out of the way - how is this something that is so far out of the way that it can't overlap on a franchise level? Sure, there should be a priority established towards making objectively good games over everything else, that much can't be denied - but there's simply no reason a more interesting Super Sonic can't be weaved into that, especially when he's been a part of the series since the second game in the franchise and arguably integral to it since the third. There's no sacrifice or diversion of priorities that would occur in the same realm as say, character-based spinoffs, or experimentally venturing into different genres entirely, where the outcome is completely uncertain and the actual merit to it is either vauge or nonexistant - Super Sonic is simply a smaller part of a much bigger game, and it has little to no bearing on the game's intended direction and appeal.

On the subject of specific applications, part of me wants to make Super Sonic available practically right from the start and see how it'd adapt to accomodate, less as a lazy amalgamation of the game's existing powerups and obnoxious 30 second loops, and more as a wildcard you can pull when you're in trouble and/or see a huge opportunity to wreck a lot of serious shit at once. Imagine Unleashed-era Boost being a thing only Super Sonic can use, and that you actually have to put a significant investment of rings into using it - that alone would have you seriously weighing your options for going fast when there are viable alternatives, and you can develop an entire learning curve around that. That's to say nothing of how you could build boss fights around it, which could make a huge deal of building up enough rings to deal the bulk of their lifebar at once in super form.

...or maybe I just want a system like this because I wanna see the reaction when the final boss cuts you off from your super form and forces you to fight without it, like a complete inversion of every single Gamecube era Sonic game. I wouldn't take this too seriously. >w>;

• Thumbs Up 1

As an aside, I've always wanted to fight a final boss where Eggman (or whatever villain) has all of the Chaos Emeralds at their disposal, and Sonic's left to defeat the boss in his regular state. They're firing insane laserbeams, throwing punches that blow chunks out of the planet, and other ridiculous reality-bending abilities: It'd be the most intense boss fight ever, and each major blow would reward you with one Chaos Emerald; once you get 7 Emeralds (hits), Sonic turns super for the final strike. That's 8 hits. And all through traditional gameplay mechanics.

Just like the good ol' days. 

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 7

I'd actually like to see other Super forms again that are not Sonic...

But since we'll likely never see anyone else playable again, why would we ever see anyone else go super again..

• Thumbs Up 2

On 25/12/2015 at 2:13 AM, RappedinBlacX said:

So what if each Chaos Emerald gathered gave the crew a unique ability that they can equip per stage that used Rings as an energy source:

Assume Sonic has 60 rings -

Green Emerald Chaos Boost - Sends Sonic up to 60 seconds in the future 

Blue Chaos Control - sends Sonic up to 60 secs in past (does not rewind stage time)

* with above powers where you end up is 60secs from your usage point, so if you end up over a pit ... Sorry. 

Light Blue Chaos Break - Freezes everything in place for up to 60 secs

Red Chaos Flare - destroys all enemies/obstacles onscreen

Ext

Super Sonic - All chaos abilities equiped

I can see that happening with Shadow or Silver. Sonic? Nah.

Okami style gameplay would probably work.

On 26/12/2015 at 7:27 PM, Indigo Rush said:

As an aside, I've always wanted to fight a final boss where Eggman (or whatever villain) has all of the Chaos Emeralds at their disposal, and Sonic's left to defeat the boss in his regular state. They're firing insane laserbeams, throwing punches that blow chunks out of the planet, and other ridiculous reality-bending abilities: It'd be the most intense boss fight ever, and each major blow would reward you with one Chaos Emerald; once you get 7 Emeralds (hits), Sonic turns super for the final strike. That's 8 hits. And all through traditional gameplay mechanics.

Sounds like Okami's final boss too.

So i've been playing sonic runners pretty heavily and i was thinking like super sonic could be used as a headstart. Etc sonic transforms into super sonic/super sonic carries the other character and flies for a fixed distance. Same for sonic dash. (Not sure if they have a headstart but whatever)

That or super sonic as playable character. (which would break the game and thus is unlikely?)

I think Super Sonic's fine, though I do agree that he should always be unlocked after beating the story. I think unlocking other characters for collecting everything is an even greater reward. Also that means nobody will feel shoehorned into the story, and you can still get an extra cool character. I feel like Generations missed such a big opportunity for collecting the red rings. 

Like I love how in Advance 2 Amy is the final secret unlockable after collecting the Chaos Emeralds as everyone else.