Awoo.

Lemmy of Motorhead fame dies at 70

Tara

Ian Kilmister, also known as Lemmy, was the lead vocalist and bass guitarist of influential metal band, Motorhead.  He died from cancer on the 28th of December, reportedly only days after the cancer was diagnosed.

Source: http://variety.com/2015/music/news/lemmy-motorhead-dies-dead-ian-fraser-kilmister-1201668541/

Now, I've never been a huge fan of Motorhead.  Much too heavy for my tastes, but it's hard to deny that he was a pioneer in his genre and a very influential figure at that.  He was a talented individual to say the least and lived a surprisingly long life considering the self-destructive lifestyle he led.  The most recent thing I remember appreciating from him was his cameo in the music video for Foo Fighters' White Limo in 2011.

Rest in peace.

• Thumbs Up 8

Motorhead were never a band I would actively follow, but I could always listen and enjoy if they were on at a friend's house or wherever. They had a formula and doggedly stuck to it. I did have the privilege of seeing them live twice (2008 and 2011), and they were pretty good both times...I actually preferred the second gig even. Guy was massively entertaining as a frontman and musician.

Beyond that, Lemmy was just a cultural icon. He lived the way he wanted, and from all reports was just chill to hang around with. Watching the documentary Lemmy just highlighted his appreciation of the simple things - gigging, touring, and hanging at his favourite bar near his favourite games.

I did listen to their Greatest Hits last night as rememberance, as well as the acoustic version of Ace of Spades they did for Kronenbourg a few years back. Lemmy's ad-lib to replace "don't forget the Joker" sounds very different now.