Awoo.

There is a giant Sonic statue lurking in the woods in Japan. "Location published on Page 4"

Badnik Mechanic

SSMB... why is this in a random forest in Japan?

No really anyone know the story behind this?

• Thumbs Up 9

I was almost expecting something slender-esque when I read that title.

Who knows, it's anybody's guess how long that thing's been there for.

I'm assuming the promotion is linked to Sonic 3 (Somehow, since that had a snowboard level?), but maybe it was supposed to be a road ad or something of the sort? Thing looks like it was meant to be there.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hmm, I hate HATE to say this, but.....why not ask Iizuka?

I mean I don't want to really bother him, but seeing as hes been with Sonic Team and SEGA of Japan since Sonic 3, and this may connect with that he may have some sort of idea. This wouldn't be the usual "DURR WEHNS THE NEXT SANIC GAMEZ?!?!" this would be something to really get to the bottom of and he may have the answer if not a lead.

If not him maybe Yuji Naka would have an answer to this too. Just please don't be dumb if were gonna go down this route.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not sure how that statue got here but I asumme it was just left there. Just ask Sega why is there a Sonic statue in the middle of a japanese forest.

14 minutes ago, TheBlueGuardian said:

I'm not sure how that statue got here but I asumme it was just left there. Just ask Sega why is there a Sonic statue in the middle of a japanese forest.

SEGA of America wouldn't know and SEGA of Japan would have a language barrier. thats why I made the suggestion above.

It looks like a promo statue for "Sonic Generations". Notice how Classic Sonic's artwork looks like from "Sonic Generations here:

20110514032137!Classic_sonic_43212453.jp

Maybe it was always meant to be there.  Waiting for the day someone was to awaken it.  Calling a chosen one to the 7ft tall blue hedgehog statue in the woods near a highway.

Or just a forgotten piece of advertisement left there just because.

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, baba_944 said:

It looks like a promo statue for "Sonic Generations". Notice how Classic Sonic's artwork looks like from "Sonic Generations here:

In my opinion, it kind of looks too...authentically Classic Sonic to be for Generations, if that makes sense.

Wherever it comes from, it's a rather nice-looking statue, ain't it? Perfect likeness of classic Sonic. <3

• Thumbs Up 1

Did some digging. I believe the statue is in Nabari, Mie Prefecture, possibly to the North. 

No idea why it's there, though. Decent guess is there's a Club SEGA in the area and it could have been used to promote that.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, baba_944 said:

59 minutes ago, The Ultimate Loaform said:

I got the feeling that statue was used for promoting Generations in Japan...

54 minutes ago, Marioandsonic123 said:

Or maybe they recently putted it there for the 25th anniversary?

No, No, and no. the statue clearly dates back to the 90s. so you guys are all off.

18 minutes ago, Sonic's Number 1 Fan said:

Nobody ask any companies... They might notice and take it down

And you're just paranoid. we want SEGA of Japan to notice it so maybe they can clean it up and put it in someplace decent for Sonic's 25th instead of leaving it to rot in the woods and have vandals get access to it

9 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Did some digging. I believe the statue is in Nabari, Mie Prefecture, possibly to the North. 

No idea why it's there, though. Decent guess is there's a Club SEGA in the area and it could have been used to promote that.

yeah we figured it was in Mie Prefecture in the statuses, but Nabari is new. Come to Retro Tracker and help us brainstorm on this.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Sonic's Number 1 Fan said:

Oh, nevermind, that's way better!

Nows the perfect time to save it too, Sonic's 25th is coming up classic sonic looks like its gonna be the on-going fad for 2016 and this would be great PR for SOJ.

Worth noting there's actually an area near Nabari named "Soni." That could be related in some way, but I can't locate the statue there so it's probably a coincidence. 

Why am I thinking it's something for Sonic X-Treme?

But the promoting for the game hasn't gone THAT far before cancellation, right?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Mikyeong said:

Maybe if I happen to be right by the area I will take a look at it. 

Would you? I mean that would be a great help to this fanbase right now. we could use some HQ 360 degree photos of this guy. maybe theirs a emblem, mark, or plaque that can give us a clue as to why Sonic is there.

You would have to direct message MoriYuki on Twitter to ask where exactly he saw Sonic.

1 minute ago, Hogfather said:

They say if you go upto it wearing the Sonic hat. Turn around 3 times and say Sonic 06 is Sonic Adventure 3.

The statue grants you three wishes.

It also lends you free hankies. 

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, goku262002 said:

Would you? I mean that would be a great help to this fanbase right now. we could use some HQ 360 degree photos of this guy. maybe theirs a emblem, mark, or plaque that can give us a clue as to why Sonic is there.

You would have to direct message MoriYuki on Twitter to ask where exactly he saw Sonic.

No. Don't go bugging the dude. That's the last thing I want folks nagging him about.

Dude's a regular biker who saw something cool and he's already replied to one chap saying he can't remember exactly where he saw it.