Awoo.

There is a giant Sonic statue lurking in the woods in Japan. "Location published on Page 4"

Badnik Mechanic

On 2/21/2016 at 4:48 AM, GuyWithThePie said:

Apologies for bringing an old topic back, but has there been any more news about this recently, or do we still not know very much?

Other then baseless joking (see above) no, all the leads we had died and all interest has faded. we only have 1 member in Japan and were not sure if she can go and see it.

So until something new crops up that will give us a lead on where Sonic is, its a cold case for now.

I'm going to ask this again before this thread dies, Has MoriYuki said anything as of late? I really haven't been keeping track of that dude's twitter.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 11 months later...

Oh man....

Ok so, I was reminded about this and wanted to do an article on the statue since it's been over a year and no developments.

Only the guy has deleted his twitter account and it doesn't look like anyone backed up the image! Tell me someone backed it up!?

• Thumbs Up 1

Think I'll do an article on TSS tomorrow about this.

Thanks for the pictures guys. If anymore turn up please post them.

I'm surprised a collector hasn't taken this statue as of yet. Although, and I may be wrong about this, but this statue may be in the infamous "Suicide Forest" in Japan, hence why there is very little photos of this statue.

I got confirmation that it is indeed in the Mie prefecture area, however, it is also deep in the mountains or around one. The person I talked to doesn't recall the exact area either, sadly, but he's sure of it being on a mountain.

That's still very broad though so maybe not much help.

Has anyone tried to identify what type of trees around the statue are?

Anyone know what kind of bike that is? Just trying to get an idea of size of the statue.

4 hours ago, Mayor D said:

Anyone know what kind of bike that is? Just trying to get an idea of size of the statue.

It's a  Honda CBR250R

Rake, trail 25°, 95 mm (3.7 in)
Wheelbase 1,370 mm (54 in)
Dimensions L : 2,035 mm (80.1 in) W : 720 mm (28 in) H : 1,125 mm (44.3 in)
Seat height 780 mm (31 in)

On 1/24/2017 at 3:56 PM, Tracker_TD said:

I've seen a few more tweets about it since, here's at least one off the top of my head.

thats pretty recent. does that mean more fans in the region found him?

2 hours ago, goku262002 said:

thats pretty recent. does that mean more fans in the region found him?

Yeah, this person took the picture back in the summer so it's pretty recent. Though he/she wasn't aware it was a mystery and didn't remember where the location was either. I already asked, only thing they remembered was it was on a mountain. 

• 1 year later...

I’m currently living in Japan. I suppose it’s now or never to locate this! I’ll be sure to take a selfie if I can find it.

6 minutes ago, Vector Reeves said:

I’m currently living in Japan. I suppose it’s now or never to locate this! I’ll be sure to take a selfie if I can find it.

Where about's are you based? Because if you are serious about this and can document the statue I can give you the exact location.

3 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Where about's are you based? Because if you are serious about this and can document the statue I can give you the exact location.

I’m working in Saitama, just north of Tokyo. I only just arrived in this country for my new job so it probably won’t be until my summer break that I can search for this.

5 minutes ago, Vector Reeves said:

I’m working in Saitama, just north of Tokyo. I only just arrived in this country for my new job so it probably won’t be until my summer break that I can search for this.

Cool, let me know and I can send you the details.

Only clue I'll publicly post is that it's around 15-30 min from the Kindai University Technical College located in Nabari.

3 hours ago, Mayor D said:

Cool, let me know and I can send you the details.

Only clue I'll publicly post is that it's around 15-30 min from the Kindai University Technical College located in Nabari.

I'm posting this here because the stupid comments section in the articles is broken.

Did BxB-Meister agree with you sharing the location with anyone who claims they can visit it? I don't think you should make such a risky move, seeing how there's no guarantee that they're not planning to vandalize it, or that they won't post the location online, or that the location won't reach potential vandals if they divulge it.

1 hour ago, Dere said:

I don't think you should make such a risky move, seeing how there's no guarantee that they're not planning to vandalize it, or that they won't post the location online, or that the location won't reach potential vandals if they divulge it.

Yeah you're right, there is absolutely no guarantee that the next person who finds it doesn't do something nasty to it... But... what else do you propose we do?

People over two websites agreed that there was a need to properly document this, several of us also agreed that someone needed to take good quality pics and video of it.

One day, someone is going to find this, especially since given where it is appears to be a a mini tourist area/cycle route, they're going to post the full details of the location anyway.

Is it not better to actually vet someone before that happens so we can at least try and get full documentation of the statue before someone either messes around with it... or... given how it's clearly deteriorating due to being out in the elements, one way or another, there is a clear time limit before this statue is gone one way or another.

Also... come on... this is quite out of the way in the Japanese mountains. The odds of someone vandalising this anyway is quite low since it's clearly been there for 10+ years and may have even survived roadworks.

Furthermore, I'm already well aware that some people are complaining that the information to it's exact location is being kept secret. So either way, nobody wins with this. 

If someone has any other idea which isn't either 'post it' or 'don't post it' I've got no idea how to please both sides of the fence until someone posts good documentation of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Yeah you're right, there is absolutely no guarantee that the next person who finds it doesn't do something nasty to it... But... what else do you propose we do?

People over two websites agreed that there was a need to properly document this, several of us also agreed that someone needed to take good quality pics and video of it.

One day, someone is going to find this, especially since given where it is appears to be a a mini tourist area/cycle route, they're going to post the full details of the location anyway.

Is it not better to actually vet someone before that happens so we can at least try and get full documentation of the statue before someone either messes around with it... or... given how it's clearly deteriorating due to being out in the elements, one way or another, there is a clear time limit before this statue is gone one way or another.

Also... come on... this is quite out of the way in the Japanese mountains. The odds of someone vandalising this anyway is quite low since it's clearly been there for 10+ years and may have even survived roadworks.

Well, don't we have in the community any long time fans that live in Japan and may be interested in documenting it? If so, I would deem those more likely to be trustworthy than random people on the internet claiming that they can visit it. I think we should try asking them if they can visit it and document it, before we start handing out the location to random people.

5 minutes ago, Dere said:

I think we should try asking them if they can visit it and document it, before we start handing out the location to random people.

Great, get me the names of those people and I'll do just that.

Also do you seriously believe I'm going to give this information out to anyone who claims 'yeah I can go!'

Is there a way for someone to legally salvage this statue? Since it seems to have been forgotten about, what's stopping a fan from literally getting a trailer and taking the statue home with them? It'd be a real shame if this statue was doomed to deteriorate for the remainder of it's years instead of a fan picking it up and giving it some much needed TLC, so it would last as long as possible.

10 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Great, get me the names of those people and I'll do just that.

I'm not a mod or staff member. Can't you do an automatic search of forum members whose location is from Japan, and filter out people who joined recently, have few posts, or have a history of trolling, flaming, etc?

10 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Also do you seriously believe I'm going to give this information out to anyone who claims 'yeah I can go!'

You just told a guy who registered 5 hours ago that you will send him the details. (No offense, Vector Reeves)

5 minutes ago, Red said:

Is there a way for someone to legally salvage this statue? Since it seems to have been forgotten about, what's stopping a fan from literally getting a trailer and taking the statue home with them? It'd be a real shame if this statue was doomed to deteriorate for the remainder of it's years instead of a fan picking it up and giving it some much needed TLC, so it would last as long as possible.

I am about 95% certain that would be illegal.

It's someones property, somebody owns it, so to just roll up and take it away would be theft yes.

4 minutes ago, Dere said:

I'm not a mod or staff member. Can't you do an automatic search of forum members whose location says Japan, and filter out people who joined recently, had few posts, or had a history of trolling, flaming, etc?

No I can not.

And even if I could anyone can say they live in Japan.

You just told a guy who registered 5 hours ago that you will send him the details. (No offense, Vector Reeves)

Do you honestly believe I'm not going to ask him some questions/ask for some proof that they are even in Japan before I do that?

Seriously what's your problem? 

17 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

No I can not.

And even if I could anyone can say they live in Japan.

Sure. But if they have a reputation as having been part of the community for some time and not being trolls, they're less likely to be lying about their location. Especially if you're the one who went to them for the matter of the statue, rather than the other way around.

17 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Do you honestly believe I'm not going to ask him some questions/ask for some proof that they are even in Japan before I do that?

Seriously what's your problem? 

Being from Japan doesn't necessarily mean that they're trustworthy, though. Hence I think you should also make sure that they're reputable long time members.

(And yes, I'm aware that by my definition, I'm not a reputable member, having a low post count and being mostly a lurker. But I'm not asking to be given the location)