Awoo.

12 weeks of Sonic Games

Rey Skywalker-Ren

Greeen hill act 1: 0:37
Green hill act 2: 0:34
Green hill act 3: 1:00

So, my thoughts after beating sonic 1 is that the game is still very charming. I like the detailed backgrounds, the music is very easy to get into ( sometimes even steals the focus of the game where I just stop playing so that I can hum along ). Ofcourse, its a bit slower than the sequels and forgetting that you cant spindash happens from time to time xD. The final boss is kinda anti-climatic compared to the boss fights that will follow, but i love the ending of it where you can send robotnik crashing to the bottom. I also think how they will handle the chaos emeralds are greatly improved in the sequels, in this game they only serve to restore nature a bit and they can be obtained by having 50 rings at the end of the level ( much more fun to be able to get more than one per zone ).

• Thumbs Up 1

Beat Sonic 1. Played it on my android phone. By far the best version. The wider 16:9 screen is appreciated.

KqGcfri.png

Got all the chaos emeralds. A healthy life-count of 49 (would be more like 42-43 on the original mega-drive version).

g5pJtpa.png

Sonic 1 is a fun game. Not my favourite classic title but always nice to go back to. Whilst it doesn't have the spindash it's not a big deal.  I only use spindash occasionally on the android version.

Has a nice soundtrack, especially Star Light zone :wub:. I like how the zones are varied; Green Hill, Spring Yard and Starlight are more fast-paced with Marble, Labyrinth and Scrap Brain being more platform-heavy. I like the contrast; Green Hill lets you have fun getting used the controls and learning how earn the speed. Marble zone teaches precision platforming. Spring Yard teaches patience with it's weird design and being bounced around a lot! Labyrinth zone teaches you to plan ahead with having to look after your limited air-supply. Star Light - the beautiful calm after the Labyrinth storm - teaches you that going fast has consequences-bottomless pits and Scrap Brain is a good challenge of the skills you've learned. I also like the whole day-to-night cycle; GH; morning, M; midday, SY; afternoon, SL; evening.

The increasing difficulty of each Eggman boss-fight is quite well done. GH; You can hide under the platforms. M; You can't hide this time, you have to keep moving because Eggman shoots fire bombs. SY; Now Eggman gradually removes the floor so you only have limited time to beat him. Then in Labyrinth zone you have to carefully avoid hazards whilst having move quickly to avoid drowning etc.

I've played Sonic 1 dozes of times so I find it pretty easy. There are multiple routes to explore, including some well-hidden ones like the short-cut in Labyrinth zone - Act 1 and some hard to reach locations:

jvhaQBI.pngQzfkl0t.png

The android version added some new routes in Marble and Spring Yard which are pretty cool.

Oh yeah, I took the harder route in Scrap Brain zone - Act 3...

ONWFzK7.png

Bit of a nightmare :P

I got all the emeralds by the end of Star Light zone - Act 1. It took me three attempts to beat special stage 5 :huh:. I've always enjoyed the special stages. I like how different they feel to the normal gameplay. Trying to avoid the "GOAL" always makes me a bit nervous. In the android version the special stages are actually a bit trickier. This is because the improved frame-rate shows up how cheap the special stages can be. It's very hard to control Sonic's movement (which is of course deliberate) and the better frame-rate means that Sonic moves faster so it's very easy to be court-out by the "GOAL". At least there's the restart option is the android version. Still pretty fun though. Except special stage 3 which I loathe :lol:

DRBrEDP.png

Sonic 1's 25th anniversary is fast approaching and it's aged pretty well.

I also did the time trial challenge for Acts 1, 2 & 3 of Green Hill.

Ovjerw8.pngSJmNSHD.png MZJAQ4z.png

Edited by BenderTheQuiet
  • Thumbs Up 1

So for the challenge:

Green Hill Act 1: 31 seconds

Green Hill Act 2: 32 seconds

Green Hill Act 3: 1 minute and 14 seconds

Will get back to you on the full review with all Chaos Emeralds cause I'm a try hard like that.

• Thumbs Up 3

I might do this. Probably won't join in until the weekend mind you, and will probably rush Sonic 1 because I seem like the only person on here that can't stand S1 or S2 :P. Will be playing the Mobile versions because they're more barable in my opinion lol.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I might do this. Probably won't join in until the weekend mind you, and will probably rush Sonic 1 because I seem like the only person on here that can't stand S1 or S2 :P. Will be playing the Mobile versions because they're more barable in my opinion lol.

Nah man I hate Sonic 1 and 2 as well. Trust me, I probably hate them more then you do XD Especially Sonic 2. I hate Sonic 2 more then anyone on this board does.

3 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

because I seem like the only person on here that can't stand S1 or S2 :P.

Oh, I can't stand Sonic 1. From my experience, I haven't ever gotten past Marble Zone Act 3 lol

But I love Sonic 2! One of my favourites!

Damn I forgot to look at the time zones haha 

Next daily optional challenge starts now 6pm to 5pm tomorrow: Finish any Green Hill Act with more then 50 rings 

• Thumbs Up 2

Kzyl32C.png

Welp, got moi Chaos Emeralds! And as for today's challenge? Kinda already did that since I managed to get all the Emeralds by Spring Yard, gotta use my save states since I am pretty rusty with Sonic 1.

And to be fair, I can see why I don't play Sonic 1 as often as the other classic games. Not saying that Sonic 1 is a bad game, far from it, it's still a really good platformer and is a pretty good start to the franchise but I guess I got spoiled by stuff like the Elemental Shields, Super Sonic, Insta-Shield and the Spindash. Though I will say that Green Hill and Starlight are still really good levels that made great use out of the rolling physics and had the proper mix of speed, platforming and a good amount of exploration.

Like did you know that before you hit the spring to go to the prickly spine log thing, you can actually jump over the spring and spikes to a huge amount of ring boxes and a life, learned that one from Johnny's Sonic Hacking Contest livestreams. There is quite a lot of hidden areas/shortcuts in the levels and it's pretty awesome because of it.

But what bogs me down with Sonic 1 is the more slower-paced, traditional platforming segments. Marble Zone kinda bores me because of the amount of waiting you need to do in the acts, though you can just bypass them in some parts but only SOME. Labyrinth just became pretty tedious with how super slow Sonic becomes underwater and it's just not a good time for me. Scrap Brain is kinda enjoyable by how much shit there is to kill you, insta-death pits, electricity, fire, saw blades, crushers and Ball Hog's goddamn balls.

The special stages are ok but I had a pretty rough time trying to get them all because of how weird Sonic controls in them, maybe it's just the ROM but I don't really like it. I'll take the Half pipe stages from Sonic 2 or the Blue Sphere stages from 3&K any day over this.

The music and visuals are still really good to this day and Sonic controls pretty well. Bosses are nice and are easy enough once you know what to do.

And that's it for Sonic 1 for me, a really good game but not my top favorite Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, cant bring a picture. Im playing the mega drive collection version on the 360 and dont realy have a camera.

But my result was as follows:

Green hill act 2. Time 0:44 Rings 59

Do rom hacks count? Just asking.

EDIT: Here's my screenshot.

1452207367431.png

Edited by Marioandsonic123
I dunno
  • Thumbs Up 1

I did it.

I saved the world.

Sonic the Hedgehog 1 is one of my favorite games ever, so I am glad to play  it again. A bit more platforming heavy, but there's still a nice ebb and flow to it, and for that I still think it's top notch. 

Except Special Stage 3, with the magenta emerald. Screw that one.

Screenshot_20160106-104255.png

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Marioandsonic123 said:

Do rom hacks count? Just asking.

Yeah. She said we could use different characters and such. I used a Shadow rom rack for the over 50 rings challenge.

Yes character rom hacks do count. Also hacks like Sonic XL do count to because its just a different character sprite.

Next daily challenge~lets try no rings. Ok not really but complete Green Hill, any act, with 20 rings or less. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Mikyeong said:

Yes character rom hacks do count. Also hacks like Sonic XL do count to because its just a different character sprite.

Next daily challenge~lets try no rings. Ok not really but complete Green Hill, any act, with 20 rings or less. 

I meant ACTUAL hacks. Like,new levels,moves,etc. (Or just new moves)

4 minutes ago, Haalyle said:

fh5q1No.png

No rings, like a boss xD

Aww man haha

vp1AAO0.jpg

3 minutes ago, Marioandsonic123 said:

I meant ACTUAL hacks. Like,new levels,moves,etc. (Or just new moves)

if you talking Sonic Fan Remix type hacks then no :( unless you dont like Sonic 1 then I guess.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Mikyeong said:

Aww man haha

vp1AAO0.jpg

if you talking Sonic Fan Remix type hacks then no :( unless you dont like Sonic 1 then I guess.

I like sonic 1,but I think you should include hacks. Mostly because it can have variety

1 minute ago, Marioandsonic123 said:

I like sonic 1,but I think you should include hacks. Mostly because it can have variety

But then we wouldn't be able to actually have the whole original feeling of the game. Hacks are mainly there as alternatives.

14 minutes ago, Haalyle said:

But then we wouldn't be able to actually have the whole original feeling of the game. Hacks are mainly there as alternatives.

So? There all sonic games technically, so I don't see the problem.

2 minutes ago, Marioandsonic123 said:

So? There all sonic games technically, so I don't see the problem.

But hacks that have different level designs and such do not count towards reviewing the game in the end as you haven't played the original.