Awoo.

12 weeks of Sonic Games

Rey Skywalker-Ren

6 minutes ago, Haalyle said:

But hacks that have different level designs and such do not count towards reviewing the game in the end as you haven't played the original.

Yeah...ok. But why not have a ROM hack version of this topic? Also,does it count if it has ONLY new moves?

1 minute ago, Marioandsonic123 said:

Yeah...ok. But why not have a ROM hack version of this topic? Also,does it count if it has ONLY new moves?

New moves is fine, as Tails can fly in the rom hack.

I don't see the use in the making a different topic just for Rom hacks.

Days challenge

Screenshot_2016-01-08-18-59-54.thumb.png

Have to admit, trying to avoid rings is very difficult, especially because there are sections where I swear avoiding them is next to impossible.

• Thumbs Up 1

Get 20 rings or less daily challenge:

Had a quick go at Acts 1&2 Green Hill.

pxQtsro.pngsrFJwQQ.png

I then did Act 3. Ironically it's easier to get no rings than in the other acts despite having a boss fight.

VLmvOBw.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey guys, Mikyeong's a little busy at the moment, so she's tagged me in to announce the next Daily Challenge. She's actually got two for you this time:

1. Post your best times for any Act of Marble Zone.
2. Clear all 3 Acts of Green Hill Zone with the lowest score possible.

And remember, Sonic 1's level select cheat is Up, Down, Left, Right, A+Start on the title screen, if you'd like to skip straight to Marble Zone.

• Thumbs Up 4

Forgot  to say you could do what you can do whichever you want don't have to do them both. Sorry I'm just in a rush.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here we go, I didn't use savestates this time (Except to restart Marble Zone when I screwed up)

LfUCWZU.png

It took me a few tries but I'm pretty happy with that time.

And here's the breakdown for the Green Hill Zone one:

EzeTcbX.png

SrKHeKU.png

16lGQX0.png

The points I did get came from accidentally hitting enemies and a bonus for beating the boss.

• Thumbs Up 2

Time attempt Marble zone; Act3.

3s6TgWT.png

Lowest possible score having played all acts in Green Hill:

Ju0MZcA.png

I know you don't get any time-bonus if you spend more than 5 minutes in an act, but I felt I should still try and finish the acts as quickly as possible.

Oh and I thought I'd go for the highest score by playing across all three acts of Green Hill:

QvcExD5.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Optional daily challenge for today: finish the first special stage with more then 40 rings (you dont need to collect the emerald)

Hey guys, I'm back helping Mikyeong out again. Today's Daily Challenge is:

Post your best times for any Act of Scrap Brain Zone.

And once again, remember that Sonic 1's level select is Up, Down, Left, Right, then A+Start on the title screen.

• Thumbs Up 1

Best time attempt at Scrap Brain Act 1:

2t5O6h0.png

Over 40 rings in special stage 1:

lex5m4y.png

So, Mikyeon what game are you thinking of doing next? Sonic CD or Sonic 2. Or something else?

• Thumbs Up 1

I did Act 3 because it's the only one I can actually remember:

8mXYGTG.png

Since there's no end of act tally I stopped it by the spring but it's around that time anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

Last daily challenge: Get more then 20 rings in your favorite Sonic 1 stage, any act, and explain why you like that stage (you only need more then one sentence)

Screenshot_2016-01-08-18-54-45.thumb.png

When it comes to the original game, I think it is still very fun to play even if there are some issues, like the lack of spindash. But to me the biggest problem were the limited continues, I mean, is there any reason to have them. Especially when as far as I'm aware, with stage-select code you can't get emeralds. Sonic 1 is a kind of game in which your first plathrough can be quite miserable but after that it can be quite easy. Thankfully he remake solves this problem.

I think that game looks very good for the Mega Drive and soundtrack is as great as it's ever in Sonic games. Level wise I like pretty much every zone except Marble. Labyrinth can be quite tough especially on your first playthrough (but seriously, is this suppose to be the hardest Sonic level? I can even without thinking can give at least 5 levels which are harder, like Scrap Brain) but Marble zone isn't hard, just boring. Special stages? Well I had enough fun with them to get in my tablet all 6 emeralds 4 times (wow, at least any game have not required you to do that to get the full ending) but after that I don't really have motivation to do them.

Control wise no complains except there are times when you see that touch screen stick just isn's as precise as real d-pad (or analog stick but I prefer d-pad on 2D games, especially in platformers).

Mobile remakes add of Tails and Knuckles is just great. Although they can be a bit broken in this game. I think the best example is the Marble Zone act 3 as Tails. Remember the part where you has to do over lava pit first and them go up and in over the whole pit again and if you drop, you have to do it all again. Well, with Tails you can simple ignore all of it and fly to the upper platform and move on.

But those damn sound test cheats still aren't fixed so I can't get all the 7 emeralds without doing it hard way.

• Thumbs Up 1

t14fJkg.png

Starlight Zone is a really nice break after the platforming hell known as Labyrinth Zone. It also generally has a nice feel to it while running around with great visuals and a relaxing soundtrack to go with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Whoops, looks like I was late on some challenges. Time to fix that!

deadmeme.thumb.png.6848aceaa2574324d587c

oglevel.thumb.png.38e4ee9492e6f075cfd522

There's a reason why people remember Green Hill (outside of the fact Sonic Team made plenty homages to it in future titles and spinoffs), it's a really good and fun level to play through casually. Has the proper amount of speed, platforming and exploration and it's certainly one of my top favorite Sonic levels, can't go wrong with this level. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey~! its time to change the game! This weeks game is going to be:

Sonic_Advance_Coverart.png

you do not need to do the true story unless you are adventurous but you only need to chose a character you like and finish there story only. this game is also eumlatable.

Daily challenge: post times for Neo Green Hill Zone

• Thumbs Up 2

Here's my times for NGHZ:

WSrlO21.png

NcNqpg3.png

I'll admit, the advance game games handle momentum a lot differently than the Megadrive games and it threw me off a lot going through that zone. The game is still really fun to play though and has a nice selection of characters to choose from as well as zones. Egg Rocket is probably my favourite Zone out of them all just for how cool the level feels climbing up the stage while listening to such an amazing soundtrack.

I'll edit my post when I finish the full game run. EDIT: Done!

8Hw2UuE.png

After playing through it I noticed the level design felt a lot like the game punished you for trying to go fast all the time much like Scrap Brain Zone.

But anyway, here's the breakdown:

Spoiler

HZLExUR.png

Q2OZ1KB.png

8kvz7Ne.png

iwLNOQu.png

OfoLVfP.png

kvlIrTq.png

X16S7yT.png

Edited by JmTsHaW

My times for Acts 1&2 of Neo Green Hill:

RgK5th5.png

byADBfP.png

I'm in the perfect position to provide a fresh perspective on the Advance games as I started playing them for the first time a few days ago. I will provide my full thoughts on Advance 1 at a later date. Overall have enjoyed it so far. The level colors, progression, graphics, music and bosses are very interesting. I really like that you can pay as Sonic, Knuckles, Tails and Amy. I've already completed the game with Tails and Sonic. Currently doing a Knuckles playthrough. The one thing I don't like is those sucky special stages which suck, suck, suck and suck some more!

bY49QPi.png

Anyway, back to Neo Green Hill; it's a nice and easy opening stage. Good length, plenty to explore-lots of multiple routes. I like how you start on the beach which changes to your typical Green Hill theme stage, then moves to a forest like setting near the end of act 2 and finishes with you fighting Eggman on a bridge. It's a nice sense of progression.

• Thumbs Up 1