Awoo.

Archie Sonic Online - Fan Made Archie Sonic Continuation - NEWEST ISSUE: Sonic The Hedgehog Online #253

Ryannumber1gamer

14 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

- The Mina and Nicole beef being brushed aside caught my attention. Having so much freedom at your beck and call is going to make undoing things you weren't fond of or don't see the logic in continuing a breeze. 

That's not really them brushing it away Mina and Nicole talked thinds out in a backup story in #237 I think it was.

10 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

That's not really them brushing it away Mina and Nicole talked thinds out in a backup story in #237 I think it was.

I don't remember this at all. I guess I really must not have cared.

• 3 months later...

Get ready for a hare-raising experience in “Rabbot Rebound Part 1: Low Battery!”  Bunnie D’Coolette—the newest member of the Dark Egg Legion?!  Our cotton-tailed heroine turns to her Uncle Beau in her most desperate hour, but some old frenemies may end her journey before it’s even begun!  Featuring cover art from ASO colorist Mizuki-Mi!

192C7485-FB42-4C80-AABF-1BD6FFE903E2.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 8

3 issues huh? I guess I can see that being easier to get out than 4. Plus as a fan made thing you don't have to worry about what fits in a trade. Also I guess with issue 50 being a standalone this just makes more sense. 

Spoiler

"Well, the Acorns weren't exactly looking out for our best interests when they tore down our government and took all out riches."

"Oh, and that justifies treason."

... I mean, kinda. Yeah. Honestly, it would for me. That's a massive mountain sized middle-finger of a dick move the Acorn Kingdom pulled there. Considering where I'm at in my readings of the Archie books, I can't say I blame anyone for not wanting to be a part of them either. But that's me. I kind of have this cartoonish hatred of the Acorn Kingdom. I'd probably be on the side of the Eggman Empire if I were in these books and I'd be delighted to get my ass kicked by the Sonic the Hedgehog. God, it'd be such an honor.

Seriously though, this was really good. I like the idea behind what Bunnie is going through here. There was, admittedly, a part of me that went "Oh no" a little when Bunnie asked to be Legionized. I believe I brought this up before but a part of me was worried that due to it being a purely fan continuation things that I liked about the disrupted status quo could get reversed and one of those things was the fact that Bunnie was entirely flesh and blood now. I may need to see the end of this to fully come to grips with my feelings on it but the idea of how it's being done is really good, actually.

The emotional turmoil that comes with being voluntarily legionized and working with the dudes in cloaks kind of goes deep into the heavy consequences of being a spy. Kind of like a more focused example of a situation similar to when Rouge had to destroy the Flying Dog, even though she technically worked for the Government. Sometimes agents need to do stuff like take out other agents or, in this case, mangle their bodies to keep their secret a secret. I like the idea of exploring that more. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Rereading Hassle in the Castle in my recent Archie re-binge, I think it's the best Antoine story ever told, kind of easily. There's not a ton of contenders. The few that are good aren't nearly as good as this one. 

Antoine's final redesign before the "traveling swordsman" bit at the end (which rules), is such a huge improvement and moreso than any of the other Freedom Fighters, however, he's also the only one who I don't feel is totally perfect. He needs some more of his blue (different/darker than Sonic) from the original design, just a little bit as an accent color somewhere on the bandolier or wrist bands or something beyond the belt buckle. I like the overall tint of red/orange/yellow on him as the coyote version of Tails, and I was surprised how much more I liked the character when his design looked more in sync with the Sega designs. (Also the spin attack with the sword from the official Archie comics was cool as heck and for the first time ever made me wish there was a fan mod to play that version of Antoine D'Coyote (i know, just saying that would be a better name and funnier in the French accent)

So I love how the cape adds the sigil on the back with the blue circular emblem and the buckle more pronounced. It's such a kickass design and it's so ironic / perfect for Antoine that his BEST story wasn't officially released. He's a day late and dollar short, as usual. 

I'd love to see more stories with that design of Antoine, which, is crazy.

• 3 weeks later...

Solicits for StHO #251 and SUO #52 are now available!

EYMef__WkAA0uNF?format=jpg&name=large

The fight to reclaim the kingdom begins in “Redemption Part One: Fragile Egos!”  New Mobotropolis is safe from external threats at the moment, but the evil machinations of the ailing King Naugus threaten to tear the city (as well as himself) apart from the inside!  As the Secret Freedom Fighters prepare to make their move, will Geoffrey St. John be the one to pay the price?  Featuring cover art from atomic Sonic artist Riggo!

EYMegAAXgAIpspL?format=jpg&name=largeThe return of the Rabbot may end as quickly as it began in “Rabbot Rebound Part Two: Charging In Progress!” Bunnie’s in Jack Rabbit’s turf now, and he’s playing for keeps!  But are all the Sand Blasters as ruthless as their boss, or can an inside job topple their house of cards?  Featuring cover art from the explosively-skilled RocketPOW!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

Hey @SonicWindAttack, really I should write editorial, but I only recently realized that due to Rob'o being King of Mercia, Amy being his cousin means she is a princess (a female cousin of a ruling monarch, read king or queen, is technically a princess) and I was wondering if that would ever be addressed by the ASO team if you know or not.

1 hour ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Hey @SonicWindAttack, really I should write editorial, but I only recently realized that due to Rob'o being King of Mercia, Amy being his cousin means she is a princess (a female cousin of a ruling monarch, read king or queen, is technically a princess) and I was wondering if that would ever be addressed by the ASO team if you know or not.

Amy was indeed born into nobility, although her family renounced their wealth to aid the poor before Robotnik’s takeover.  We do have plans to explore her and Rob’s lineage down the line 👍

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, SonicWindAttack said:

Amy was indeed born into nobility, although her family renounced their wealth to aid the poor before Robotnik’s takeover.  We do have plans to explore her and Rob’s lineage down the line 👍

Thanks for answering! I'm really looking forward to it since Archie never really touched on Amy's relation to Mercia and being a princess of said nation. Her reckless globetrotting and hanging out in different kingdom really should have had explored consequences and I'm hoping the team will really help me appreciate it.

• 4 months later...

This is something that has been in the works for several years, a special crossover cover with Sonic the Comic Online!  A special double-page spread that splits perfectly in half for both projects to use for the respective stories!  Special thanks to Drawloverlala, Marek Sterling, MamboCat, Adamis, Gilgalad and Pete Murphy for coming together to create this masterpiece!

4DB29D1A-EC32-4026-AC94-4052E6ACE517.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 4

• 10 months later...

Since this issue is released can I just say that I find the idea of them just flat out saying to just murder Naugus is kinda weird and feel like it doesn’t fit in a Sonic book, fan made or otherwise. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 8/19/2021 at 6:04 AM, SanPolo4389 said:

Since this issue is released can I just say that I find the idea of them just flat out saying to just murder Naugus is kinda weird and feel like it doesn’t fit in a Sonic book, fan made or otherwise. 

That’s why they’re the SECRET Freedom Fighters, undercover agents in charge of the dirty work that more conventional heroes like Sonic would usually never touch, and even they’re shown to be uncomfortable about it.  I know it’s a bit heavy for Sonic, but it’s not really inconsistent with the tone Archie has had in the past.  

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, SonicWindAttack said:

That’s why they’re the SECRET Freedom Fighters, undercover agents in charge of the dirty work that more conventional heroes like Sonic would usually never touch, and even they’re shown to be uncomfortable about it.  I know it’s a bit heavy for Sonic, but it’s not really inconsistent with the tone Archie has had in the past.  

I guess but it feels like such a weird direction to go.

I'll admit it's a logical one but it's just not one I personally am very comfortable with.

I do have to admit as much as I am enjoying the project it kinda feels like you guys are just speeding through as many plot points as possible. Like Boom Sally's deroboticized and bam Hershey just completely blows her cover to come see Geoffrey. I mean I get that these are plot lines people wanted to see finished but I don't think they need to be resolved this quickly. 

• Thumbs Up 4

4 hours ago, SBR2 said:

I guess but it feels like such a weird direction to go.

I'll admit it's a logical one but it's just not one I personally am very comfortable with.

I do have to admit as much as I am enjoying the project it kinda feels like you guys are just speeding through as many plot points as possible. Like Boom Sally's deroboticized and bam Hershey just completely blows her cover to come see Geoffrey. I mean I get that these are plot lines people wanted to see finished but I don't think they need to be resolved this quickly. 

Maybe they just want to get the loose plotlines out of the way?

3 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

The site seems to be down.

Our host was down earlier, but it looks like it has been resolved now.

StHO #252 Solicit:

The veil of secrecy lifts on enemy and ally alike in Redemption, Part Two: “Fever Pitch!” With nothing left to lose, Naugus is determined to bring all of New Mobotropolis down with him!  Can the Freedom Fighters trust their undercover counterparts long enough to save the city?!  Featuring cover art from dynamic duo DEEGEEMIN and RocketPOW!

4EE9722D-99F1-4DAB-A4D1-482C23F04595.png

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Promotion 1

• 2 months later...

You know what as someone who did watch the show, I found this really good as a finale to the show. And I did like how they got Ian for an interview for this. 

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh

I don't want to be mean. Concluding mediocre cartoon after decades of hiatus in single issue, when cartoon itself never moved story but created a lot of question, all of that sounds super hard.

But story fails on most important aspect. Complete lack of impact for reunion with their mother.
It's not grand and epic, it's not close and personal. It's only two pages of "deux ex machina, now gimme your stuff, okay bye".
I would remove Knuckles and every other supporting character just to give more focus on main four interacting.

I have other quibbles but they are not worth mentioning in comparison.

On plus side art is nice. It's close to cartoon, but removes this stiffness the show had.

Writing kinda feels like the cartoon, but I don't know if it's a complement.

With that said, one part is perfect, the Off Panel. Like I said in the past,  Give Knuckles his god damn dinosaur!