Awoo.

Archie Sonic Online - Fan Made Archie Sonic Continuation - NEWEST ISSUE: Sonic The Hedgehog Online #253

Ryannumber1gamer

I enjoyed it I think writing and art this is the best issue of this whole series. 

The first story was a really cool way to introduce a Pre-Reboot version of Breezie. The second was a good look into Dimitri's psyche but I think the joke at the end kinda undercuts it and doesn't really mesh with the timeline of the original arc. The third was a blast. I love the idea of Eggette being this nihilistic kid that Eggman decides to take under his wing.

If I have one complaint about the Miniseries it's that only a few stories really felt like it actually played with the theme of "Stories thatcould never be told on the main continuity" but it was still an overall fun experiment. 

• Thumbs Up 1

"Reckoning" is kinda fun, but has this old problem of "build up without pay-off". As a comic-making exercise, I call it success, as a story I call it 'meh'.

"Dimitri's Log" is somewhat straightforwards. Dimitri realizing he's done bad isn't anything new honestly. And the last joke is both weird and detrimental to the story.

"Protegegg" on the other hand is great. Unique take on Eggette and wonderfully psychotic Eggman make for short but absolutely satisfying story.

First story was really nicely done, story felt a bit rushed but I like the character-inteactions

Dimitri's Log is very good too, a little bit dialog heavy but the art compliments it.

Protegegg, I got to be honest was the story I was looking the most forward too, since so many people complimented it but I felt really let down, The art is overall good but I felt it didn't convey the tone of the story at times,, the character Eggette is really intrestring and I love her design, but I felt her introduction was trying too hard to be edgy look at how dark this kid is , a self-made orphan kind of character, just felt a little bit to much for me.

• 2 months later...

The cover is one of the reasons why Drawloverlala is my fave artist on the Sonic artist community, she managed to take weak-designed characters like Lien-Da and draw them with so much energy that they stand out more then just being a female Knuckles clone, She is so good with character arts,

OVeralll the art of the stories are all pretty good, even the more styled one bring their own charm, my only issue is that it sometimes it gets too dark and muddly (I get it, its a dark story its night time,but when everything is in darker colors it makes some of the characters vanish in the panels)

-Lien-Da is finally a serious threat after the originail archie run never really handled this character right and always forced her into the servant role making her never much of a threat in the book itself, it was good too see that finally here

-There is finally some backtalk about the ridiculous ness of some of the old lores of the old book, really liked how Knuckes denounced his title as the savior, erasing that odd ''Jesus Christ'' figure role he used to have.

-The heroes mostly won because of  Remington's dialog and trying to reach the other dark legion members with sanity, sense and reason. I just like it when not every battle is just won by violence.

8/10 good issue

• Thumbs Up 1

Pretty good. 

I like how it feels like a pretty natural progression of #243 like you could read that issue and move to this one pretty easily. 

The characterization is spot on and I love the idea that Lien-Da is losing control of the Legion and seeing her not handle it well is great.

The art is great and very expressive. Really no complaints at all. Very solid read.

Mobius Legends #5

Reckoning - I always appreciate a really good foreboding story. I didn't quite catch on that this was the Pre-reboot version of Breezie. My mind failed to catch up with that a bit as I didn't consider the possibility of taking elements from the reboot and incorporating them into the old one. As much as I liked the Post-Reboot and it's characters, it didn't get off the ground all that well all things considered and was still in the early stages of developing itself before it was shut down fully because of Archie's incompetence. I'd like to see more stuff like this in things outside test stories. Boy howdy was that kid ugly though. 

Dimitri's Log - Dimitri was one of the few character Pre-Reboot I had a heavy interest in and I think it was mostly because large chunks of his past were things I hadn't read (and still haven't read) yet. As such, the concept of this dude in a robot head in a bubble just really fascinated me on the forefront. I had no clue what kind of fucked up history you'd have to have in order to go from whatever he was before to that. Even more interesting was that time he was trapped in the cardboard box so I'm glad there's a story of him recounting all of this. It was pretty much what I expected it would be. I still liked it. The ending gag took me off guard but I appreciated it too.

Protégégg - I feel as though this one was easily the best of the three. I did admittedly worry a little bit when I saw the Omelette girl there because I try not to partake in too much "fan" things in my fan projects (if that makes any sense) as it kind of breaks the illusion a bit for me. However, the way around that is usually to take it and incorporate it in a way that feels like it's capitalizing on what it could be rather than just having it be done for the sake of recognizing a thing that the internet made popular. As such, this was an incredibly dark and satisfying tale of a really messed up, cruel, and insane child. Considering how ruthless and unapologetic for Eggman is, this fits right in with what he is as far as the comic is concerned. 

I have to say this was definitely the best of the Mobius Legends issues. It had the best stories. The art was the most consistent and pleasing to look at on the whole for each story. I didn't get the feeling that things were being done "because we don't have to worry about mandates" in this one too. It was pretty great.

Although, someone in the questions page asked if Bunnie was going to get her cybernetics back. I gotta be honest, I don't really understand why they would want that for her character. Reverting back to the status quo for her isn't something I personally feel would be the right way to go about it but I suppose there might be a way to do it and have it be satisfying...? I doubt it though. No matter what it'd probably feel a bit contrived to me. 

Knuckles: Endangered Species

I liked it a lot. I liked the story, the art, and especially the colors. I've always wanted to know how to make beautiful looking explosions. I'm glad I can witness all this. Lien-Da is pretty bad at this though. It does feel like there was a way for her to keep control of what happened there better. It will never not be weird seeing someone say "IT'S THE CHAOTIX" and witnessing three characters who aren't the Chaotix step out of a portal. I've tried to get used to it... I can't. But it's fine because the story was good. Also, Saffron recalling the hideous thing that happened to Charmy was a neat touch. I might even get to see a proper resolution to that one day. A lot of the details about the Echidna stuff, to this very day, is lost on me because I've yet to fully read through all the stuff that happened before issue 150 but that's part of the journey. I'll be all caught up one day.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

This isn’t directly related to ASO per se, but some of the members in our team are involved in a different Archie project, to restore the final issues that were left unreleased before the official comic’s cancellation.  They just finished Sonic Universe #95, check it out! https://m.tapas.io/episode/1459306

26884A3E-FD28-4EBC-8B5A-87F6E081F092.png

• Thumbs Up 8

Good read. Feels like it's fairly close to how the issue would have been and liked that as a fan project it threw in a few more risqué things (Antoine calling Cortez "Dastard" and the Off Panel) but not too much that it didn't still feel like it was kid friendly.

Impressive! Inking and coloring very similar to official quality. Script could use better one-liners, but did excellent job interpenetrating everything, much better than what I did when I saw sketches for a first time.

I'm kinda surprised that Cortez isn't working for Eggman. It's strange to establish that Egg Army was here and now is gone. Would make more sense to me if Cortez was some kind of mercanary with weird idea how honor works. But I guess my interpretations leaves a lot of questions, yours is more elegant in it's simplicity.

• Thumbs Up 3

Initially when I saw the cover for this long ago, I kind of dreaded it since I was worried it'd just be a festival of teasing from Sonic, thrown Antoine's way but this turned out to be the complete opposite of that, and I've got a lot of respect for the final product here as a result.

I seem to recall the next issue, the one featuring Bunnie and Blaze, also had its pencils dumped on the web following the comics end.

Anyone know if this same group of guys/gals is planning on giving that set of sketches the same treatment?

1 hour ago, Sega DogTagz said:

I seem to recall the next issue, the one featuring Bunnie and Blaze, also had its pencils dumped on the web following the comics end.

Anyone know if this same group of guys/gals is planning on giving that set of sketches the same treatment?

They are!  At the moment, they plan to restore SU #95-97, as well as StH #291 and 292.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 5

It was really good, and I loved to see Antoine one more time :)

My only gripe : it's "sacrebleu" not "sacré bleu" :)

• 3 months later...

Poor Saffron, still taunted by the loss of her kingdom and Charmy's brain damage. One of the sad perks about fancomics, there's not mandate against trauma.

• 2 weeks later...

KES2cover-683x1024.png

KNUCKLES ENDANGERED SPECIES #2

Rad Red’s quest to liberate his people reaches a fever pitch in “Endangered Species Part 3: Habitat Destruction!” Knuckles’ former ally Thrash has appeared with a startling declaration, and the warring factions of Albion must call a truce in order to stand up to his Devil Dog army! But why does he desire the end of the echidna race, and what secrets do the ancient city hold to provide some answers? Featuring cover art from fittingly-named Finitevus!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Rosaleia said:

Aww, how wonderful! I've always wanted to try writing or drawing Sonic comics! I'm kind of curious, can people still apply to write or do art for these stories?

I don't believe we're accepting writing tryouts at the moment, but if you'd like to contribute as an artist, you can join our Discord server and show us some examples of your work there: https://discord.gg/4rxrP4r

This was my favorite of the issues you guys have posted so far. I'm typically one for stories where characters just get to head on over and talk to one another within the midst of an aftermath to a crisis.

I'm not exaggerating one iota when I say that the one panel of Sonic hugging Sally and her family was the most I've ever cared about her character before. I'd imagine if I were a fan of hers, this would be hitting really hard but luckily I'm at least able to tell when something's written with affection. 

Some scattered thoughts I had:

- At first I was a little miffed that transferring into Geoffrey's body didn't fix Naugus' problem because I thought that meant it was going to undo the plot point of him taking the skunk over. I'm glad to see that he can actually get it under control. 

- Seeing the old Egg Bosses made me realize that, aside from a select few, I'm not as familiar with the Egg Bosses from Pre-Reboot as I am Post-Reboot. Eggman's Dozen is one of my favorite Sonic stories period but I keep being reminded that it's apart of the continuity that isn't getting the continuation. I can't help but wonder if some of them will be incorporated into this one somehow. 

- Almost 10+ years of reading these comics and seeing these characters with parents is still weird to me. You'd think I'd be used to this by now.

- The Mina and Nicole beef being brushed aside caught my attention. Having so much freedom at your beck and call is going to make undoing things you weren't fond of or don't see the logic in continuing a breeze. 

- Knuckles is adorable. I probably would have been really confused by the affection the two had here if I hadn't started my journey through the early issues recently. 

- Reading these always lights a fire in my stomach. I'm still gonna make my own comic one day. Just you wait. 

That's all. Can't wait for the next one~!

• Thumbs Up 2