Awoo.

The "Other Sonic Knowledge & Discoveries" Topic

azoo

I hope this is the right place to post this. I can't see anywhere else this could go so if this is in the wrong place I'm sorry.

But anyway, I'm looking for somebody who can translate these Japanese lines by Shadow in SA2 for me:

w75oc0p.png

LqtgkDz.png

dASDKgb.png

szabNvZ.png

For reference, here's what he says in the English version:

Hahaha, Sonic! I think I've discovered what the Ultimate Life Form is... it might be you!

It's such a weird thing to say and it's undoubtedly just a case of the english version being weird, but this line has really been bugging me for awhile now.

I've tried searching around and there's videos on Youtube of SA2 being translated more literally that clears up a lot of the dialogue screwups and generally makes more sense compared to the English version (Like what Eggman says at the start of Sand Ocean for example), but the line above isn't shown in those videos thanks to how obscure it is. You need to wait until the timer reaches 4 minutes, have the boss's health bar in the red and be controlling Sonic at the same time. (Without messing up you'll usually have Shadow land the last hit and the quote about Sonic telling Shadow everyone's waiting for them back on Earth plays instead)

I'd love to know what that line says without the english version weirdness, so if anyone could help me out and translate them for me that'd be great!

On 22.2.2016 at 5:23 AM, JmTsHaW said:

I hope this is the right place to post this. I can't see anywhere else this could go so if this is in the wrong place I'm sorry.

But anyway, I'm looking for somebody who can translate these Japanese lines by Shadow in SA2 for me:

w75oc0p.png

LqtgkDz.png

dASDKgb.png

szabNvZ.png

For reference, here's what he says in the English version:

It's such a weird thing to say and it's undoubtedly just a case of the english version being weird, but this line has really been bugging me for awhile now.

I've tried searching around and there's videos on Youtube of SA2 being translated more literally that clears up a lot of the dialogue screwups and generally makes more sense compared to the English version (Like what Eggman says at the start of Sand Ocean for example), but the line above isn't shown in those videos thanks to how obscure it is. You need to wait until the timer reaches 4 minutes, have the boss's health bar in the red and be controlling Sonic at the same time. (Without messing up you'll usually have Shadow land the last hit and the quote about Sonic telling Shadow everyone's waiting for them back on Earth plays instead)

I'd love to know what that line says without the english version weirdness, so if anyone could help me out and translate them for me that'd be great!

Honestly, the translation seems to be pretty accurate here. My Japanese is far from perfect, but here is my direct translation of the lines. Each line is a translation of one picture:

Haa... Haa... Hey Sonic...

Right now, somehow I get this feeling...

The real... Ultimate life...

You... might just be it...

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Vertekins said:

Shadow's official physical age is indeed 15.

This is, to my knowledge, cited in only one official source; The leaked internal script for '06. Within the document are character profiles that elaborate on the characters as well as their ages. Shadow's is listed as 15.

Mmm. Those character profiles are just copy-pasted ones from Sonic Heroes.

Edit: Wait, scratch that. Interesting.

On 2/28/2016 at 5:55 PM, Vertekins said:

Shadow's official physical age is indeed 15.

This is, to my knowledge, cited in only one official source; The leaked internal script for '06. Within the document are character profiles that elaborate on the characters as well as their ages. Shadow's is listed as 15.

On 2/28/2016 at 6:07 PM, shdowhunt60 said:

Mmm. Those character profiles are just copy-pasted ones from Sonic Heroes.

Edit: Wait, scratch that. Interesting.

And that's where that amusing tidbit about Blaze being insecure about her flat chest comes from.

...Is that comparison of Silver with Trunks an official part of that document, or was it added in later by the translator?

8 hours ago, Treacher said:

...Is that comparison of Silver with Trunks an official part of that document, or was it added in later by the translator?

I believe that was actually part of the transcript.  They really wanted Trunks to be in a Sonic game, but couldn't, so they made Silver instead.

So a friend texted me this pic: maxresdefault.jpg

Later i realized there are more of theese Obama x Shadow "memes" on the web i i must ask: What's the origin of this?

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic feels such a close connection to his shoes in Adventure that he actually took to inscribing his name on the soles;

Did you know? Sonic apparently feels such a close connection to his shoes in Sonic Adventure that he took the liberty of writing/carving his name on the soles?

I assume that's what Sonic's writing looks like :P

• Thumbs Up 7

I dunno why it never occurred to me to bring it up here before (when I mentioned it in a status update a few weeks back):

I was messing about as Big in Sonic Adventure, and I found out that if you cast into any random body of water in the adventure fields, you can sometimes find item boxes.

• Thumbs Up 5

• 2 weeks later...

tumblr_npm00cWloq1tu022ro3_1280.jpgSonic_and_Tails_5.png

This piece of artwork on the left is supposed to be Japanese artwork from Sonic the Hedgehog 2. It's pretty clearly a "Japanese counterpart" to the famous piece of American artwork on the right

The thing is, while the Sonic looks great and accurate to the Japanese classic style, Tails gives me lots of pause. He really doesn't look accurate to the classic Japanese design of the character at all - he far more resembles the American version, from the specifics of his face to the shape of his shoe. It kinda looks like someone actually traced over the American artwork and tried to bring it more in line with the Japanese style, but they clearly did an infinitely better job with Sonic than with Tails. (The "Japanese" Tails actually looks worse than his American version, lol.)

Apparently the first version of the artwork was this low-resolution version put on SNN in 2013. Then Video Game Art Archive posted a higher-res version which got placed on SNN. Aside from these places, I think this artwork is found barely anywhere else...I went ahead and posted a message asking the person who originally added it to SNN where he found it. I'm just really curious since it's such an unusual piece.

Ahh, what the heck...while I'm talking about Sonic 2 official artwork, I might as well mention a few other pieces which are clearly American in origin:

S2_jungle_art.jpg

Doesn't that look a little like Wood Zone?

There's also this piece of artwork that doesn't seem to correspond to any zone in the game. Note that the crab badnik is unlike anything found in Sonic 2; the closest you come to it is Shellcracker from Metropolis Zone.

422px-S2_sonic_tails_underwater_art.jpg

There are several other pieces of American artwork done in this same "full-page" style depicting a scene in the game, and they all seem to represent actual things in the game, such as the first boss, Oil Ocean Zone, a special stage, and Sky Chase Zone. You can see them all on Sonic Retro.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/19/2016 at 0:16 PM, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

422px-S2_sonic_tails_underwater_art.jpg

FAAAAAKE.

I'm calling it. Sonic does not swim. What is this nonsense? Nonsense is what it is.

Don't make me point out this is a joke folks.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry for double posting, but Rafa Knight just posted some shots on her Tumblr that look like they're coming from a Sonic the Fighters sequel of some sort. Could very well be a mock up done for the Fighters saga in the comics (since Bunny is there) but I thought it was worth mentioning!

tumblr_o5qso384261uve9kao1_400.png

tumblr_o5qso384261uve9kao2_400.png

tumblr_o5qso384261uve9kao3_400.png

• Thumbs Up 5

• 1 month later...

@Mister X Shun Nakamura is the creator of Silver the Hedgehog.

“One controversy based around Silver are the 5 spines on his forehead. Fans think it resembles a cannabis plant (aka marijuana, or pot). In actuality, the spines are based on the Japanese Red Maple leaf.”

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 7:55 PM, Sonikko said:

Sorry for double posting, but Rafa Knight just posted some shots on her Tumblr that look like they're coming from a Sonic the Fighters sequel of some sort. Could very well be a mock up done for the Fighters saga in the comics (since Bunny is there) but I thought it was worth mentioning!

tumblr_o5qso384261uve9kao1_400.png

tumblr_o5qso384261uve9kao2_400.png

tumblr_o5qso384261uve9kao3_400.png

That's pretty dope. B)

Wish it was real, though...

• Thumbs Up 1

• The topic was unpinned
  • 6 months later...

So, I had no idea where else to post this so here goes.

I was playing Sonic Unleashed normally and I entered the hub world for Shamar, when suddenly Sonic was invisible!

Even stranger, I was only able to move him; all other actions didn't respond. I have no idea what triggered this since I didn't do anything out of the ordinary.

I have a video, but I don't own any type of game recording equipment so I had to make do with my phone:

Unfortunately, I got myself stuck in a ditch of water so I couldn't explore more with this glitch.

This isn't the only strange thing I've experienced with this game. There was this one time I selected Rooftop Run Day Act 1 and as soon as the Miles Electric screen disappeared almost half of the stage's geometry was missing! Then everything was flickering in and out of existence. Although, it didn't take even 5 seconds before it just crashed all together. 

So what I'm learning is that English translations of Japanese lines can be total bunk sometimes, and has led to more than one misconception over the past decade or so. I've mentioned both in status updates recently but might as well mention them. 

-The "doctor" Omochao was calling out for having a fake mustache was the Chao Doctor...Principal...Professor...Expert, not Doctor Eggman. In fairness, doctor isn't so much wrong as it is vague (and an inaccurate but consistent translation), but why couldn't they have translated the "Chao" part that was in the original Japanese line as well. 

-So you know in Shadow the Hedgehog there's the ending cutscene where the Commander and the President are reflecting on what happened, and the President's all on about how they were wrong about Gerald and how they should pay homage to him by making a brighter future?

Lies

They never refer to him by name, but in the original script they're clearly talking about Shadow saving their sorry behinds, especially when the soldiers' cheering (which was left in the English version, if you listen carefully!) are in response to Shadow having successfully defeated the Black Arms threat. Shadow suffered a hell of a lot due to the ARK incident and still ended up saving them. They want to atone for him and the ARK's victims, by providing a better future. It also explains why in the original script, the Commander's reply to the president was shaky; he'd spent nearly the entire game hunting him down, and now he had to concede on how wrong he was. 

It also would make a little more sense as to why Shadow joined GUN in a way; they're as much atoning to him for their past mistakes as Shadow is putting the past behind him. 

• Thumbs Up 9

More knowledge, this time to do with the older sister of Sonic that brought over its main character, Flicky. 

Did you know that the arcade version of Flicky had different names for the characters than the Mega Drive version. Considering that Japan got the Arcade version but not the Mega Drive version, I'm guessing the Arcade names were the original ones.

-Flicky is the same, obviously.

-Chirp was changed from Piopio, which is basically the Italian onomatopoeia for a chick's chirp. Effectively it means CheepCheep (plz no sue nintendo)

-Tiger was changed from Nyannyan. If you know Nyan cat (or...anime at all), you'll know that means MeowMeow. So creative.

-Iggy was changed from...Choro. That's an odd one, but there is another example we can use to reference; Purrloin the Pokemon, known as Choroneko in Japan. It basically means "Thief cat" because Choro is derived from the word for pilfering, so Choro alone is probably Thief. Eh, more creative than Cheepcheep and Meowmeow.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Speculation time with a very tired VEDJ-F.

So over at Sonic Retro someone (Rlan)'s been getting scans of the pictures from the obscure novels like the adventure game books and the book published by Troll (British and American respectively). The game book (Zone Rangers) has something particularly interesting that of course grabbed my attention immediately because I'm biases as shit

rxTZZp5.png

Oh look, crocodiles. It was speculated by one person that assets of Vector might have been slipped in with the references SoJ would have given to the publisher. Honestly, that's not out of the question, and there's two hints to that.

1. Rare scrapped assets have appeared at random in published media before; the ones rediscovered about a year ago were in CVG#126 (another British magazine in fact!), which came out May 1992. In that though, they were entirely printed as they were and not used as the basis for edited drawings like this. 

2. Another scanned page of Zone Rangers has a bunch nearly identical monkey characters.

xSr3enA.png

Save for some extra detailing, the monkey designs (in the face and hair) look uncannily similar to fellow scrapped bandmate Max, at any stage of development we've seen (although I just noticed that Max's tail isn't curly like a monkey, but completely nuts). 

Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Band.png QHRdN9s.png

The one thing about the discount Vectors above is that some of the discrepancies seem...obtuse. 

G5CVzVF.png

So the lack of shoes and gloves seems simple, as they're supposed to be natives so shoes and gloves don't make sense for the story. The bellies, while not separated from the back, seem to follow the same sort of consistent yet slightly bumped design of especially the second proto-Vector. The spines not being merged with the flesh can be put down to a regular design choice, and the slimness, even if it is in some Vector designs, could be either derivative of that or another design choice (since the second proto-Vector does not look slim). 

The one thing that's throwing me off are those weird ass shoulder (and leg joint) pads. The arms are clearly not based on either of these proto-Vectors as both of them are muscly and not slim, but if it was an alteration, why would they even add that when that wasn't a thing in Sonic the Hedgehog yet? It just seems very similar to Archie's inaccurate interpretation of Vector's Chaotix design...except this was in 1993, Chaotix was in 1995. 

So...was it a co-incidental design change? Was there another Vector design made after the scrapped later one despite them being scrapped at that point most likely? They look quite different to the actual Chaotix design so it's not like the finalised one existed in 1993. And if Ohshima was still tweaking designs after Sonic 1 had come and gone...why?

Edit: Having had time to sleep on it, I think another possibility is that it was in proto-Vector's design; regular shoulder pads would look off, but Chaotix Vector didn't have regular shoulder pads, he had these giant bits that pretty much engulfed the arms themselves, and could likely fit a more muscular arm. 

If that was the case, why would Chaotix Vector be so much slimmer? Well, neat coinky-dink that; Dingodile faced pretty much the same problem going from concept art (being a fat bastard) to actual in-game appearance (where he was very slim, but his warp face hinted at the original concept). And he was a boss NPC on the PS1 in 1998. Vector being a PC on the 32X in 1995 could have brought similar problems with it. Both wouldn't return to original size until they made the jump to the sixth generation, at least. 

• Thumbs Up 5

On 2/12/2017 at 4:55 PM, VEDJ-F said:

Speculation time with a very tired VEDJ-F.

So over at Sonic Retro someone (Rlan)'s been getting scans of the pictures from the obscure novels like the adventure game books and the book published by Troll (British and American respectively). The game book (Zone Rangers) has something particularly interesting that of course grabbed my attention immediately because I'm biases as shit

rxTZZp5.png

Oh look, crocodiles. It was speculated by one person that assets of Vector might have been slipped in with the references SoJ would have given to the publisher. Honestly, that's not out of the question, and there's two hints to that.

1. Rare scrapped assets have appeared at random in published media before; the ones rediscovered about a year ago were in CVG#126 (another British magazine in fact!), which came out May 1992. In that though, they were entirely printed as they were and not used as the basis for edited drawings like this. 

2. Another scanned page of Zone Rangers has a bunch nearly identical monkey characters.

xSr3enA.png

Save for some extra detailing, the monkey designs (in the face and hair) look uncannily similar to fellow scrapped bandmate Max, at any stage of development we've seen (although I just noticed that Max's tail isn't curly like a monkey, but completely nuts). 

Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Band.png QHRdN9s.png

The one thing about the discount Vectors above is that some of the discrepancies seem...obtuse. 

G5CVzVF.png

So the lack of shoes and gloves seems simple, as they're supposed to be natives so shoes and gloves don't make sense for the story. The bellies, while not separated from the back, seem to follow the same sort of consistent yet slightly bumped design of especially the second proto-Vector. The spines not being merged with the flesh can be put down to a regular design choice, and the slimness, even if it is in some Vector designs, could be either derivative of that or another design choice (since the second proto-Vector does not look slim). 

The one thing that's throwing me off are those weird ass shoulder (and leg joint) pads. The arms are clearly not based on either of these proto-Vectors as both of them are muscly and not slim, but if it was an alteration, why would they even add that when that wasn't a thing in Sonic the Hedgehog yet? It just seems very similar to Archie's inaccurate interpretation of Vector's Chaotix design...except this was in 1993, Chaotix was in 1995. 

So...was it a co-incidental design change? Was there another Vector design made after the scrapped later one despite them being scrapped at that point most likely? They look quite different to the actual Chaotix design so it's not like the finalised one existed in 1993. And if Ohshima was still tweaking designs after Sonic 1 had come and gone...why?

Edit: Having had time to sleep on it, I think another possibility is that it was in proto-Vector's design; regular shoulder pads would look off, but Chaotix Vector didn't have regular shoulder pads, he had these giant bits that pretty much engulfed the arms themselves, and could likely fit a more muscular arm. 

If that was the case, why would Chaotix Vector be so much slimmer? Well, neat coinky-dink that; Dingodile faced pretty much the same problem going from concept art (being a fat bastard) to actual in-game appearance (where he was very slim, but his warp face hinted at the original concept). And he was a boss NPC on the PS1 in 1998. Vector being a PC on the 32X in 1995 could have brought similar problems with it. Both wouldn't return to original size until they made the jump to the sixth generation, at least. 

Interestingly, an illustration for Sonic Vs. Zonik found on Sonic News Network depicts Coconuts as an organic monkey who resembles those monkeys as well. 

Small point this time; You know how Fang was designed by a freelancer who worked for SEGA who calls himself Touma? Well, I've verified beyond a shadow of a doubt that Touma's real identity is one Shinichi Higashi. So here's some fun facts.

1. His first SEGA credit was, in fact, Triple Trouble. However, since they only listed staff as a nebulous title and didn't divulge into separating out the different roles, that became a potshot. 

2. He has credits on two more handheld games; Sonic Drift 2 (as special thanks) and Tails Adventure (as an artist). Both of those games had Fang appear in some form (the former as playable, the latter as an item) [Note: He wasn't credited in Sonic the Fighters where Fang also appeared, but none of the prior character designers were credited, AM2 just gave special thanks to Sonic Team as a whole]. Now, I wonder if he was therefore responsible for the look of the Battle Kukku lot or if it was Nobuhiko Honda, or a combination of both (We know Honda at least worked on redesigning the Chaotix, so he's not a stranger to character design). 

3. He's worked on other Sonic Team games as an artist and a modeller. The latter makes sense for a toy maker. None of those credits really broach designing other significant characters by the look of it though. 

4. His last credit was Skies of Arcadia in 2000. While he left the company in 2002, my research did see a mention of him working on an RPG that didn't come to fruition, so that might explain the gap between his last credit and him leaving.

5. Whoever he got his domain with has the least secure info server I've ever seen, I should not be able to simply Google search a couple of names together and find a home address and contact details. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

So the model sheets for CD's animations were released! They're pretty neat to look at.

gHKexOX.jpg

TMKgOBg.jpg

8tTVTZj.jpg

RNqlKo0.jpg

Also, a bonus:

Spoiler

Smoking is pretty bad for you, Sonic..
Vcv6Xg4.jpg

Source: A B

• Thumbs Up 5

Here's some Sonic Unleashed goodies.

While being similar, the cutscenes for the SD and HD version of Unleashed aren't exactly the same. Now, there's the obvious stuff like missing hub world items, change of the order and names of the cutscenes, the exclusion of "The Key", lighting differences, and no framerate issues due to pre-rendered cutscenes in the SD version. However, there's one cutscene that has the strangest change, and that's that the SD version actually has something the HD version doesn't! 

"No reason" ("Do You Need a Reason?" in the SD version)

For some bizzarre reason, the boardwalk that Sonic and Chip are standing on has a net railing in the SD version that is completely absent in the HD version.

kydfxBch.png

It's quite strange, there doesn't seem to be any reason why it was removed.

But, that's not all!

There's something that the SD version reveals: Did you know that this cutscene actually took place during day time and in a different location?!

If you take a look at the gallery in the SD version, this is the thumbnail for this cutscene:

SFdBn50l.png

Yeap, BETA screenshot!

• Thumbs Up 5