Awoo.

The "Other Sonic Knowledge & Discoveries" Topic

azoo

Directly translating the names should get Mad and Had. But the tricky thing is, due to the limited pronunciation in Japanese both Hud (given it's pronounced "huh-d") and Had can be written as ハッド. Same situation for Mud and Mad, both will be written マッド. So unless we get official confirmation, neither is wrong. 

I'd say that Japanese people would prefer Mad because it looks "cooler". Also they're wearing hats so Hat(spelled Had to match with Mad?) makes more sense.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ah. I didn't even know that was a thing.

I also still think Mad and Had are the ones the Manga intends, but for different reasons. If you extrapolate Mad and Had back out to Madd and Hadd, there are proper names that could take those as shortened versions (Maddox and Haddon respectively), which fits in with the rest of the family who have normal first names. There isn't an equivalent for Mudd and Hudd, all the listings give surnames instead. 

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, Linkabel said:

A great resource if you wanted to learn how to draw Sonic and his friends. 

I can't see the resource :/

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Adamis said:

Neat, thank you !

Can I share them on a French Sonic forum please ? I'll give you credits of course.

For sure dude, this is for everyone to enjoy!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

Not an incredibly useful fact but still something strange I noticed:

There is a layering/alpha error in Night of the Werehog.

sa17D9h.png

Not sure how to explain it, but I've encountered this same issue when working in 3D myself.

• 1 year later...

I have no idea where else to post this but I wanted to share this with others who might be interested and are unaware.

Marza Animation Planet recently created some Twitter accounts over the Summer. The cool thing is that the Staff page has been uploading some cute artwork of the ghosts from the Night of the Werehog short.

It's super cool to see these characters again in a semi-official way.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Fist Bump 2

• 4 months later...

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, but this thread seemed close. I recently found a channel that does a good job at explaining the original Japanese lore for Sonic and I thought it might be interesting for those who haven't heard of it before. He also goes over some of the more obscure Sonic games and appearances.

Spoiler

• Thumbs Up 4

• 2 months later...

By this point most people are probably aware that Sonic borrows quite a bit from Dragon Ball, but there are a couple of nifty little tidbits that people probably aren't as aware of tying the two franchises to together. Two that really stand out to me is that Japanese voice actor Takeshi Kusao who provided Sonic's voice in SegaSonic the Hedgehog and possibly all of the Sonic arcade games and even the popcorn machine, is also the Japanese voice for Trunks, our favorite time traveling half-saiyan. Sticking to Toei related trivia, the second interesting little connection is that lead animator and character sheet artist for Toei's animation for Sonic CD, Hisashi Eguchi, was also a lead animator for Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. this includes both the main series and several of the movies. So yeah, Sonic and Dragon Ball are pretty closely tied to each other in interesting ways.

• Thumbs Up 3

SEGASonic’s voice cast has other DBZ alumni too.

Eggman’s voice, Masaharu Satō, was the voice of multiple characters across the first three shows, most notably that of Shenron, and Mighty’s voice actor, Yūsake Numata, went on to play Baby in DBGT.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

I found this article about Modern Sonic's design informative. It explains while Yuji Uekawa usually gets the credit, that Satoshi Okano also helped define the look.
https://www.fanbyte.com/features/sonic-hedgehog-satoshi-okano/

“I want to say this to you who are reading this article,” he says, “Even if the spotlight doesn’t hit you, be patient. Even after 10 ~ 20 years, there will be times when the spotlight misses its aim. Even the ‘shadow’ becomes sunny. There’s no futility in life. You are the one that makes it interesting.”

BECFiw3.jpg

• Thumbs Up 6

• 8 months later...

expandy!!.jpg.c8435093c1248bf6ae4298f8e202568f.jpg

i have something more to bring very soon!  For now, here is that!  i have never seen exactly what happens when the water flashes, specifically the palette adjustment aspect!  (actually that may be a mix of two palette changes, the second being from transforming out of Hyper Sonic!) it is definitely one of the more interesting visual design ideas that they brought to life!  

above!!.thumb.jpg.06f1dd4fee92354c0054a1c1655428d0.jpg

Here is a  very surprising combination of images, from Laputa , Castle in the Sky, from 1986.  as you may know, in this story one of its central parts involves reaching a floating island by air travel, the center of which contains a powerful and large green crystal that was set there by an ancient civilisation!  The character seen here who is resembling Eggman is good, but, there is very much a dark sided character trying to obtain the crystal.

Is there a resource somewhere that already shows ways that Sonic characters and story elements are perhaps in homage to Miyazaki's creations?  

• The topic was pinned
  • 10 months later...

https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?threads/sonic-3-level-concept-art-research-thread-with-hq-pictures.41094/

this would probably be a good new topic in the Sonic Games forum at some point!!

A main part of this is all of the preliminary ideas for Knuckles' game.

According to the notes, there was going to be a separate zone visited by Knuckles in place of Flying Battery, Launch Base, and also, it seems like a separate final zone that wasn't Sky Sanctuary!!

i sort of think, it seems plausible that the first one would have been Azure Lake, as that makes sense as a zone between Carnival Night and Ice Cap, then, the zone visited in place of Launch Base is actually depicted as being a Labyrinth type area under Launch Base (which does sort of happen but it doesn't look like this)

Sonic3K_MD_Development_Levels5.png

The potential Knuckles' concluding zone could have been Chrome Gadget !!

Or all three might have been other different zones that we don't know about, or were never developed, but we have always been wondering where the different zones for 2P VS originated!!

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 months later...

Some largely obscure facts I've discovered over the years!

In Sonic Adventure, it appears that Sonic has carved/written his name on his shoe soles.

shoesoles.jpg.ae7ba277a09cad7dec5c0a848afbd5ef.jpg

If you take what the official Joypolis Twitter account says seriously as well as one of the voice clips from Tokyo Joypolis' famous talking Sonic statue, Sonic is afflicted with hay fever;

hayfeversonic.jpg.1d58986061e56ebb2f07e023e420a843.jpg

The inscription on Shahra's Ring in SatSR translates to "May God bless you". According to the special book in-game, it confers good luck upon the wearer;

tumblr_inline_p5wc8xm7J01riafjl_1280.thumb.jpg.c5dcc949268b677864b97602930fe6d7.jpg

In JP Sonic Adventure, Sonic CD and Sonic 3 (& Knuckles) are referenced by the young lad inside the station at one point during Sonic's story. Specifically, he mentions Little Planet and the Angel Island incident. These references are not in the English version;

tumblr_n8gi0d4nXn1r1kw0so2_500.png.348ea21a68e82edf1c1b2bb1a92163f7.png

The wilted flower that Merlina holds in SatBK is specifically a Straw Chrysanthemum. This was an intentional choice as this flower is representative of "everlasting" or "eternity" in the language of flowers, foreshadowing Merlina's desire to make the Grand Kingdom last forever. This was revealed by Shiro Maekawa on Twitter. Who wrote the Storybook games;

strawflower.jpg.beca408f76d9e9ef805e15b1ebe6349f.jpg

One of Knuckles' designs in the concept phase was Dinosaur-like. This was because of Jurassic Park causing a boom in the popularity of Dinosaurs at the time. His long, bent tail in his final iteration is a remnant of this design (Confirmed in a separate interview by Yuji Naka);

dinoknux.jpg.30ce392c15da971bec3175b4ec42e67f.jpg

I have many more but I'll keep it to what IMO are the more interesting ones in this single post.

• Thumbs Up 6

• 2 months later...

(old because I look at old posts of everyone way too much) AAUK's statement on Shadow the Hedgehog. This gives more reason to not have the Last Story too (though I still love it). 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 months later...
On 7/7/2022 at 4:16 PM, expansivelovestories said:

https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?threads/sonic-3-level-concept-art-research-thread-with-hq-pictures.41094/

this would probably be a good new topic in the Sonic Games forum at some point!!

According to the notes, there was going to be a separate zone visited by Knuckles in place of Flying Battery, Launch Base, and also, it seems like a separate final zone that wasn't Sky Sanctuary!!

i sort of think, it seems plausible that the first one would have been Azure Lake, as that makes sense as a zone between Carnival Night and Ice Cap, then, the zone visited in place of Launch Base is actually depicted as being a Labyrinth type area under Launch Base (which does sort of happen but it doesn't look like this)

Or all three might have been other different zones that we don't know about, or were never developed, but we have always been wondering where the different zones for 2P VS originated!!

Perhaps Knuckles was also meant to visit Balloon Park and Desert Palace at some point? Mushroom Valley may have been meant as a Knuckles-only level as well. Interestingly, they revisited this idea of character-specific stages in SA1 with Sky Deck (only Team Sonic goes through it) and Hot Shelter (only the other three go through it), doubling down on it in SA2 before dropping it and reviving the idea in very limited ways afterward. 

The very early concepts for Knuckles apparently say Sonic himself was the Sky god, not Chaos. His name was Stealth at some point. (Used for an alternate universe Sonic in Archie, probably a coincidence). Knuckles was also meant to appear in the manga at some point. One can also see the Sonic Band for about the final time they were seriously considered, and a scrapped tanuki-like character (no connection to the one in TSR) & gorilla. “Stealth” was also at some points a black cat (Blaze?) and another Hedgehog like Sonic (Shadow?). He would also have been fought more often, and HPZ wasn’t meant to be an actual stage.

Anyway, someone found the Sega Digitizer files for R2, now known as “Dubious Depths”

https://www.spriters-resource.com/genesis_32x_scd/sonicthehedgehogcdsegacdprototype/sheet/192527/

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 months later...

If people are interested than this may need to get its own topic, but I thought I would start here.

I realize the subject of AI is controversial, but I have been searching YouTube for,

AI song covers, sung by the Sonic characters.

Some of them come out really bad.

Some of them are flawed but enjoyable.

And summer incredible.

For example.

Chip sings 'Dear My Friend' (Chip AI Cover)

https://youtu.be/dhjd4vV2uCA

I thought Sonic Unleashed was OK, but it's not my favorite.

I thought the song' Dear My Friend' was OK, but is not one I play a lot.

But Chip singing it? I almost cried.

• 4 months later...
On 7/7/2022 at 6:16 PM, expansivelovestories said:

I want more of these zones.

• 1 month later...

One cool thing is that when you complete a mini-game or puzzle in Frontiers the jingle that plays is a remix of the jingle that plays in Sonic Adventure when you unlock something

Okay, I want to know. Does Sonic Pocket Adventure contain remnants of the saturn version of Sonic Adventure? I always like to think Sonic Pocket Adventure was meant to tie in to SA1. Sonic Pocket Adventure contains tons of stuff from Sonic Jam, which had remnants of SA1 on the saturn. It also includes art from "project Sonic" if I'm correct. Could the team have recieved outdated assets?  Does this have anything to do with them using "black-eyed" Sonic in the prototypes?

Screenshot 2023-12-28 at 19.22.04.png

Screenshot 2023-12-28 at 19.23.08.png

Screenshot 2023-12-28 at 19.24.09.png

• 1 month later...

This is an early mock-up of the Sonic Spinball artwork from a November 1993 Woolworths catalogue in the UK. This is a photo of something that I personally cut out taped into a scrapbook. I'm adding it here because I haven't seen it anywhere on Sonic Retro etc and a few shallow Google searches didn't turn up anything. Has anyone seen this before or is this some found content?

PXL_20240217_193534805~2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 2
  • Way Past Cool 1